Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2015, 17:51   #601
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Cannot comment much about the ride as it was driven on the track and a drive on the crappy roads of Bangalore will surely how good or bad the ride is

The tyres squeal at every single opportunity. An upgrade to a sticky rubber is a must to enjoy this car.
Bad tires are easily fixed.

It is still a torsion beam hatchback, the way it handles mid corner bumps and real world roads will make it or break it.

Hopefully the balance of the car is not as understeery as my Skoda. Waiting for a drive of the car to take a call.

I can't believe they have released a hot hatch without any official kerb weight figures
Old 19th October 2015, 17:53   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Some shots of the Abarth Avventura, courtesy Rush Lane:

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-2016fiatavventuraabarth2.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-2016fiatavventuraabarth4.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-2016fiatavventuraabarth6.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-2016fiatavventuraabarthinteriors3.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthindia2.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthinterior3.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthindiacentreconsole.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthlaunch4.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthindiawheel.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthindiabatch.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-fiatavventuraabarthspecsheet1.jpg

In addition, a couple of shots of the White Abarth Punto Evo by Twitterati:

Name:  CRqgD7AUkAAyNkm.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  CRqgHkJUcAA_UAT.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  38.7 KB

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th October 2015 at 17:55.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 17:54   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Was wondering why such post was not appearing earlier. Ah there is comes.

Firstly when did Punto have a Tjet to get just additional 30 horses. The Punto always had the 1.4 FIRE with 90 odd PS. The Tjet and the Fire engines are different as chalk and cheese.

I would seriously like to believe that you were just joking about the Swift. Maruti Suzuki has been abusing the word Sporty to the core by slapping stickers and selling the same car as Sport variants. And you are expecting them to plonk the Tjet and launch a sport variant. Fantastic dream is what I can call it. At least Fiat is showing some guts to launch a powerful hatch (not making a car powerful with stickers just like the swift )

Also care to share the source of price revision you are talking about. I cannot recollect reading that Fiat announcing it is an introductory price.
Yes, every car launch and subsequent pricing discussion will have some "I guessed it right!" posts. Because everybody can guess it, and sometimes even the manufacturer doesn't get it right!
You are right that, Punto never came with T-jet, but as I explained in another post, the guesstimate was about the suspected Abarth Linea. Linea does come with T-jet. I only mentioned that the difference matches (pure coincidence). Similarly I have also clarified my statement about the pricing part. It is purely based on how some recent launches revised the prices within 2 months. If Fiat does not revise the prices, it is good for the buyers!
It is very good that, some manufacturers are coming up with launches targeting specific buyers with powerful engines.
Coming to Swift - it is a given that, Maruti Suzuki would concentrate their energy on the mass market and spend their money there, rather than invest in R&D to satisfy niche segments. If they wanted to satisfy such segment, they would have at least used the 1.4L engine used in Ertiga in Swift or even in Baleno.
If any of the above hurt the Fiat lovers, please take it with light heart and apologize, and we will move on
Old 19th October 2015, 17:55   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
Even if it did produce 145 bhp, where exactly is one gonna use all that power? Firstly, the gearbox wont let you put that power down...and if you do, the bumper of the Alto in front of you will limit how far or fast you can go. It's just not practical for India and its roads. The infrastructure has to go a long way.
For some it may not be about putting that power down all the time but the security of knowing you have the power if and when you need it. I actually find that I drive the T-Jet more sedately in traffic than my swift because of the extra torque, and it happily does it without any fuss.

And just a couple of points to make your post 'more' balanced

Quote:
I am not a FIAT basher or an Apple fanboy. I've tried a balanced approach here and I also agree that FIAT has come up with some good products in the past. But this is not it. In fact, the POLO TSI may just be what the doctor ordered. A practical powerful hatch with usable power mated to a hardworking gearbox priced within 10 lakhs ON ROAD (NOT Ex-SHOWROOM, BUT ON ROAD, mind you). And the best part is, it is undeterred by the VW Emissiongate scandal.
Your quote should have read " A practical powerful hatch with usable power mated to a hardworking gearbox that sometimes hesitates at slow speeds, priced within 10 lakhs ON ROAD (NOT Ex-SHOWROOM, BUT ON ROAD, mind you).

The TSi is a lovely car, but it too has it's faults.

Quote:
Oh, and have you heard of a single DSG gearbox failure in a POLO? Of course, its far more reliable than some stupid limited by torque C-section gearbox (or is it C510? I can't be sure).:
Plenty, just do a search and see the number of posts regarding the problems with the DQ200, and some even on this forum. The C510 may be 'stupid', but it's reliable, again do a search and see for yourself.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:06   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
For some it may not be about putting that power down all the time but the security of knowing you have the power if and when you need it. I actually find that I drive the T-Jet more sedately in traffic
And just a couple of points to make your post 'more' balanced
Your quote should have read " A practical powerful hatch with usable power mated to a hardworking gearbox that sometimes hesitates at slow speeds, priced within 10 lakhs ON ROAD (NOT Ex-SHOWROOM, BUT ON ROAD, mind you).
Plenty, just do a search and see the number of posts regarding the problems with the DQ200, and some even on this forum. The C510 may be 'stupid', but it's reliable, again do a search and see for yourself.
Please google SARCASM !
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:13   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Please google SARCASM !
Oops !! sorry @thedragula. Should have read your post clearly the first time. My apologies, but I guess my post will work sometime down the line.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:17   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Geez!! FIAT has really messed up the pricing. I mean, its direct competitors are offering a far greater value proposition and here comes FCA bringing in some obscure brand called Bharat Punto. I mean, Make in India doesn't mean you have to name it after India. Morons! And why would you price the Ace Ventura the same as Punto..It should have been cheaper.
I am not a FIAT basher or an Apple fanboy. I've tried a balanced approach here and I also agree that FIAT has come up with some good products in the past. But this is not it. In fact, the POLO TSI may just be what the doctor ordered. A practical powerful hatch with usable power mated to a hardworking gearbox priced within 10 lakhs ON ROAD (NOT Ex-SHOWROOM, BUT ON ROAD, mind you). And the best part is, it is undeterred by the VW Emissiongate scandal. Oh, and have you heard of a single DSG gearbox failure in a POLO? Of course, its far more reliable than some stupid limited by torque C-section gearbox (or is it C510? I can't be sure).

Oh, and the Icing on the cake - Hyundai is rolling out the Celebration Edition of the i20 Elite. Can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Now waiting for the unnecessary comments comparing it with anything from Tata Nano to Maybach and finding faults.
Hence proved!

@thedragula: You have your views and that's fine. But do realise that because of people like you Indian automotive industry is as it is right now. Maybe you don't know but there are roads, albeit few, in India where you can explore the potential of Abarth Punto. And for the rest of the road structure, blame the government not Fiat!

And please you've got be kidding if you compare Swift glory edition with Abarth Punto. Guys coming out of it will be embarrassed rather than stylish! And what skid marks! It's a normal edition with a sticker job. If only stickers could cause skid marks the world would be a much better place!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th October 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:17   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops !! sorry @thedragula. Should have read your post clearly the first time. My apologies, but I guess my post will work sometime down the line.
Or atleast you could have glanced at thedragula's avatar before firing your guns
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:19   #609
BHPian

I am thoroughly surprised by the folks who are saying that this is not correctly priced. I guess to each their own.

I too wonder about the fuel efficiency. When the Palio 1.6 Stile gave 6-7kmpl , I literally had to hide it from the gf (now wife) for several months. She figured it out eventually (why are we stopping twice to put petrol) . I am sure if I bring up another Fiat topic, that would be her first question Hahaa.

Will check out both later this week.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:22   #610
Lij
BHPian

Finally the Abarth Punto in India, at less than a million ex-showroom.

The Linea T-Jet was on top of my upgrade list, this launch has nudged it to the second spot.

But looking at the dealerships and service network in Mumbai, I am still not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
minus all the stickering
Anyone has any idea if removing those de-cals on the bonnet and the rear is a simple job that can be done at the dealership?

Last edited by Lij : 19th October 2015 at 18:23.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:25   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Keroo!! Brother, I expected a fellow T-Jet (a remapped T-Jet owner, no less) to see through it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Hence proved!

@thedragula: You have your views and that's fine. But do realise that because of people like you Indian automotive industry is as it is right now. Maybe you don't know but there are roads, albeit few, in India where you can explore the potential of Abarth Punto. And for the rest of the road structure, blame the government not Fiat!
Yes. I am the reason the Indian Auto industry is as it is now. And might I say, you are the reason, that foreign universities still insist on TOEFL for Indian applicants. Reading and comprehension are two different things.
thedragula is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:37   #612
BHPian

Wow! This is my dream car!
- The power, torque of a turbo petrol
- Lowered GC
- Decent tyres (an upgrade to 205 width would work wonders, I believe)
- The almost perfect hydraulic steering
- Looks
- Great Pricing
- Decent set of features (AVN, projector lamps, etc. would have added great value though)

Quote:
Geez!! FIAT has really messed up the pricing. I mean, its direct competitors are offering a far greater value proposition and here comes FCA bringing in some obscure brand called Bharat Punto. I mean, Make in India doesn't mean you have to name it after India. Morons! And why would you price the Ace Ventura the same as Punto..It should have been cheaper.

Take KWID for example .... When will FCA wake up and realise it has to sell cars and not expose its customers to dangerous insects/reptiles.

Maruti - Does a far better sticker job anyday. Has anyone seen the new glory hole edition? And the macho men making skid marks and getting out stylishly? The swift already sold so well....and this edition is well positioned to counter the onslaught of imitation graphics from FCA.

Mercedes A Class AMG...

BMW 7 Series - In terms of comfort, there is no better value for money than the BMW 7 Series or the new S class S500/600. ....

So it appears that the punto is neither a match for the KWID/Swift or the BMW 7 Series/ Merc S Class. ...

I mean, what use is 145 bhp? Is it at the wheel or the crank? Has it been dyno tested? Hell, the Hyundai Verna makes 126 bhp at the wheel (see threads elsewhere in this forum). ...

Even if it did produce 145 bhp, where exactly is one gonna use all that power? Firstly, the gearbox wont let you put that power down.....

I am not a FIAT basher or an Apple fanboy....
I agree with you on the following points (if your post was sarcastic already, forgive me - I know you are being sarcastic, but still let me put it just for fun. Else, pun intended - not to hurt):

- Kwid, Alto and Nano beats the Abarth Punto in pricing department - they should have priced the Abarth somewhere close to 4 lakhs.

- Features wise, BMW 7 series, Merc S Class etc. beats the Abarth.

- Maruti has significantly more service centers and its a lot easier to fix issues in them anywhere - even outside the authorized service centers. Abarth fails here too.

- Fuel efficiency wise there are many other petrol and diesel cars that beat Abarth easily. Fails in this department too.

- The Abarth is no match to i20 when it comes to the feather light steering. Failure!

- The Abarth can seat only up to 5 people - fails to all those Ertigas, Go+, Innovas and Mobilios.

- Ground clearance - there are many SUVs, cross overs and MUVs out there that gives a run for Abarth's money in terms of GC. Come on, we are in India - give at least 200 mm of GC!

- All those 145 BHP is a waste - with the average speed that you can ever do on Indian roads, 50 BHP and a top speed of 100 is more than enough. Just in case you need more power, no matter whether you can use or not, there are cars in the same price band that makes almost similar power, that too at the wheels. Failure here too.

- Well below 10 lakhs ON ROAD, we have several automatic (CVTs, traditional, AMTs and DSGs) options. What is the point of buying an MT car at such a high price?! Abarth fails here too.

There are many other failures of Abarth that we can go on and on. Abarth is such a bad effort from Fiat!

Last edited by devansn : 19th October 2015 at 18:40.
devansn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:46   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I am the reason the Indian Auto industry is as it is now. And might I say, you are the reason, that foreign universities still insist on TOEFL for Indian applicants. Reading and comprehension are two different things.
Hey sorry man! My heartfelt apologies. In my excitement I went through the posts so quickly that I missed the fine print. Had a good laugh though afterwards.

The TOEFL comment was uncalled for though but taken in good spirit. Cheers.

Last edited by firstguri : 19th October 2015 at 18:47.
firstguri is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:46   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Keroo!! Brother, I expected a fellow T-Jet (a remapped T-Jet owner, no less) to see through it!
Sorry man, I should have checked your profile before letting 'loose'. Happy remapped jetting to you.
Old 19th October 2015, 18:47   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Sir, please relax!
To give you a little background, there is a discussion about the suspected development of Abarth Linea
Appreciate your concerns and thanks for letting me know that they are considering Abarth Linea!

Quote:
The difference of about 2.5L on top of current 1.4L petrol, is a guesstimate for Abarth Linea, if such a car is developed. What I mentioned was the difference seems to have come true for Punto & Avventura, roughly. This is simply a guesstimate, and not any information leaked through some sources, or based on some serious cost breakup estimation. (Pricing is an aspect, even some very established manufacturers fail to get it right sometimes, after their market study).
You should probably let FIAT know about these "gueststimate" - they will be glad to know.

Quote:
About the current price - In the last few launches (not Fiat though), the introductory prices were revised immediately after the launch. Based on that premise, and seeing the price tag as 9.95L to bring it just below 10L ex-showroom, isn't it giving enough signs that, the revision will follow soon?
As someone said here, FIAT India makes cars almost as a side business. They are not yet like Renault or Ford - they should be really daring to consider their new product in the lines of a Kwid or an Ecosport. But be kind enough when they revise this introductory pricing structure.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 19th October 2015 at 18:48. Reason: grammatical typo
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread