Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2015, 19:12   #616
Lij
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And the website is up now -

http://www.fiat-india.com/abarth-punto/

Edit - Abarth Race Pedals are available as an accessory.
So does that mean that race pedals would come standard in Abarth Punto and can be added as accessory in other variants or will the Abarth Punto have the normal pedals and race pedals need to be bought separately?

The brochure doesn't mention it, although it mentions dead pedal -

http://www.fiat-india.com/specificat...20Brochure.pdf
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 19:16   #617
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Somethings will never change, will they?

Disk brake?
Looks like they are following this forum closely or someone has reported the error to them. They have already fixed it on their site Hopefully no one got fired
Old 19th October 2015, 19:17   #618
Senior - BHPian

Might be a silly question - does the Abarth Punto come equipped with variable intermittent wipers?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 19:19   #619
BHPian

It seems 0-100 is the most important parameter for judging a car these days. Perhaps we have an illegal street racing scene in all major cities that I am not aware of. I see many around discussing the importance of saving one-tenths or hundredths of seconds while shifting, and how a certain car X will smoke a car Y in a quarter mile drag. In the three and half years that I have been driving my T-jet, I haven't taken it for any drag-races however I have certainly enjoyed the torque and power on highways, expressways, hills, and even snow.

With the increased power and reduced weight, the Punto Abarth is a much more tempting option than the Linea T-jet. I bought a Linea-T-jet only because of the engine. 90% of the time the rear seats remain unoccupied, and I have utilised the boot space perhaps only 8-10 times till now. I am sure there are others that want a fun to drive car but don't want a three-box car. For them, Punto Abarth makes a lot of sense. Punto Abarth with height adjustable shocks will be the ideal car for me.
Biraj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 19:34   #620

I have seen a decent number of ladies and middle aged women driving polo GT TSI.
So while talking to the SA from where I booked GT TSI, he was saying, may be minimum 50% GT TSI's to the people who are not the automobile enthusiast kind of people. Many people have purchased GT TSI because its currently undoubtedly the best AT hatchback falling under 15 lacs. VW already has a good brand image plus a strong body and good quality interiors.

I feel GT TSI's success was not just created by a bunch of enthusiasts, but there was a segment wanting for a decently priced premium hatch back, who doesnt want/cannot afford Merc, BMW, but surely doesn't want the commonly seen Hondas and Hyundais.

In that case, Punto Abarth doesn't have anything to offer other than to pure enthusiasts (not the practical enthusiasts like me who need a mix of convenience and sportiness).

Its like may be how Audi positioned nicely in b/w Merc and BMW in comfort and sportiness eventually becoming the leader in segment.

I could be wrong in the way I see. Even I was waiting for a decently priced hot/warm hatch and had booked a GT TSI. And was eagerly waiting for Punto Abarth, but somehow the pricing has made me to go ahead with GT TSI only.

So let's see how it fares in the upcoming days.
binish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 19:49   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
In that case, Punto Abarth doesn't have anything to offer other than to pure enthusiasts (not the practical enthusiasts like me who need a mix of convenience and sportiness).
... And was eagerly waiting for Punto Abarth, but somehow the pricing has made me to go ahead with GT TSI only.

Exactly - we should be fortunate to start seeing manufacturers trying their best to satisfy their segment of customers. If a car doesn't suit one's needs, just choose another or wait for one to come. Drubbing efforts a company that struggles to hold on to Indian market will sound awful.
vinodvayyat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 20:23   #622
Senior - BHPian

Slightly disagree, the segment of customers you are referring to would only give preference to Good Brand Image and definitely not strong body and good quality interiors, case in point Elite i20 which IMHO has better interiors but still chose to skip A/T.

Don't you think VW as a company and its customers in general consider that 'status' factor while going for that car. I may be wrong but that's what I personally feel.

One more contradiction I can point out is that while we had several posts on VW huge unsold stocks and discounts, I can't understand whether the company wants to be in premium segment or volume segment, I think its the volume segment, and Polo certainly belongs to that as compared to Elite i20 and Jazz, which is a well established fact on T-BHP. So the buyer's criteria of differentiation from the crowd is also something I would disagree. So its left only to 'perceived' brand image. Having cars in other premium segments (Skoda and Audi) also helps a lot. Which is not the case with Maruti, Hyundai and even Honda.

IMHO the main driving force is TINA (There Is No Alternative) factor.
Let's wait for Baleno AT which is a CVT (shouldn't bother to non-enthusiastic buyers) for the impact but at the same time we don't have sales figures for GT Twins separately.

Quote:
I have seen a decent number of ladies and middle aged women driving polo GT TSI.
So while talking to the SA from where I booked GT TSI, he was saying, may be minimum 50% GT TSI's to the people who are not the automobile enthusiast kind of people. Many people have purchased GT TSI because its currently undoubtedly the best AT hatchback falling under 15 lacs. VW already has a good brand image plus a strong body and good quality interiors.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th October 2015 at 20:36.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:09   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I feel GT TSI's success was not just created by a bunch of enthusiasts, but there was a segment wanting for a decently priced premium hatch back, who doesnt want/cannot afford Merc, BMW, but surely doesn't want the commonly seen Hondas and Hyundais.

Its like may be how Audi positioned nicely in b/w Merc and BMW in comfort and sportiness eventually becoming the leader in segment.
True. Abarth Punto and GT TSi are not direct competitors. GT is a good mix of performance (105ps TSi) and comfort (DSG). Abarth is more hardcore, be it looks or performance or price.

If I were to buy a car now, I would have picked the Punto Abarth. If my father were to drive it as well, I'd pick the GT. It's all about priorities, simple.

Quote:
I could be wrong in the way I see. Even I was waiting for a decently priced hot/warm hatch and had booked a GT TSI. And was eagerly waiting for Punto Abarth, but somehow the pricing has made me to go ahead with GT TSI only.

Before the Abarth, you could have confidently told "hot hatch", but now you had to mention "hot/warm". That would be reason enough for at least a few enthusiasts to consider the Abarth. I wouldn't want to spend top money on a turbo petrol hot hatch and end up compromising on hotness, not till my knee is healthy enough to fight that clutch. Otherwise, as FIAT marketing guys put it, I would feel the sting when the Abarth leaves me in as an inconsequential spec in the mirror.

Anyways, more options to the customer. Be it VW or FIAT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th October 2015 at 21:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:19   #624
BHPian

If fiat is watching, some one has put in another cars gear lever photo in the gallery for the abarth. It says optional equipment on it, does that mean you can buy that gear knob ?
where is the accessories list ?
Old 19th October 2015, 21:21   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
Geez!! FIAT has really messed up the pricing. I mean, its direct competitors are offering a far greater value proposition and here comes FCA bringing in some obscure brand called Bharat Punto. I mean, Make in India doesn't mean you have to name it after India. Morons! And why would you price the Ace Ventura the same as Punto..It should have been cheaper.
It is immature posts like this that made me walk away from this forum for three long years. On the one hand, we have people defending the brand blindly. On the other we have this. Geez.
PatchyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:42   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
It is immature posts like this that made me walk away from this forum for three long years. On the one hand, we have people defending the brand blindly. On the other we have this. Geez.
I think the author meant to direct sarcasm towards the FIAT naysayers.
Old 19th October 2015, 21:44   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
@PatchyBoy: He was just taking a dig at all the sceptics of Abarth Punto. It's sarcasm. Even I made the mistake of misinterpreting his post. And he is an owner of a remapped Linea T-jet himself.
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 21:49   #628
BHPian

Wow, such variety of reactions! I'd choose to appreciate the effort put in by Fiat. They have attempted to address the needs of the purists in us with this product (Punto) by offering manual shifts, hydraulic steering setup, well tuned suspensions (yet to be confirmed by experts). The gearbox being carried over from the regular Punto is a compromise to keep the costs in check. May be? Not sure about the tyre size being carried over from the regular version, but an upgrade would definitely do good to this car. All in all, good job FIAT! Given a chance I'd like to buy this vehicle, but in a year or so. No, not for discounts but waiting for reviews and feedbacks.

Cheers!
JB
Old 19th October 2015, 22:36   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am compiling the list of few things missing on the Abarth Punto for the help of the critics so they may be spared of liitle hard work.

Sunroof
Auto-folding Mirrors
A/T
AVN
Audiophile grade Music System
Mileage (as compared to Figo)
Lightweight
Projector Head Lamps
No discount right at the launch

The following goodies are nice to have but won't be useful much as they can't get appreciation from their family, friends and colleagues

All-4 disc brakes
some BHP and Torque numbers
Some technical changes in engine which shouldn't be costly and if they are, who cares
Colourful pedals
Some Makda type sticker job (which is not as good looking as Audi's logo)
Alloy wheels that look 'slightly' better but hey while we don't complain for No.1 manufacturer's hideous alloys why should we bothered about others, it doesn't really matter

If there's an award for Post of the day, this is it

Couldn't help but laugh at Maruti after seeing the Ciaz RS launch. Worst timing and feeling.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 22:50   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Till yesterday, the GT TSI was the hot hatch. The car that one bought with the heart over the mind. Today suddenly it has been demoted to a warm hatch, the 'practical' choice and a car chosen with the mind. Good job Fiat

As already mentioned earlier, the GT TSI attracts the regular crowd looking for an Automatic in addition to those attracted to it by the power/torque/performance numbers. So that helps in the sales. Would be interesting to see how much of a difference the Abarth makes to the Punto numbers.

IMO, the pricing is good for what it offers. Only wish is that the 9.95 Ex Showroom is Pan-India. Or Fiat can ensure it is under 9.99L across the country. Will help make it more affordable in the high tax states. Ford and Maruti have done it for the Ecosport/S Cross. So definitely feasible.

I don't expect a Abarth AT in the near future. This engine would need a really fast Dual Clutch transmission and from what I have read, Fiats Dual Clutch Transmissions are relatively new

Another thought. Wonder now if VW will think about plonking the 1.4 TSI + 6 speed manual from the Jetta into the Polo. With 122BHP/200NM (or tweaked for a little more), a manual Polo 1.4 TSI MT will be a good match to the Abarth. With the DSG out of the equation, they should be able to price it on par with the Abarth. A 1.2 TSI DSG and a 1.4 TSI MT along with the Abarth would make it a happy time for buyers. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Note: The 1.8 Polo GTI may be coming, but that will be more of a Halo product.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread