Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2015, 23:06   #631
BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Along with Abarth Punto, they should have also launched the 'Punto - Powered by Abarth'. That would have been more affordable by almost a lakh I believe, looking at the Avventura. Also, I feel they should pull the plug on the 1.4 FIRE and make T-Jet 113 standard on Emotion trim in Punto or at least as an option. Just my opinion. Now don't come all guns blazin' at me
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 23:18   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Along with Abarth Punto, they should have also launched the 'Punto - Powered by Abarth'. That would have been more affordable by almost a lakh I believe, looking at the Avventura. Also, I feel they should pull the plug on the 1.4 FIRE and make T-Jet 113 standard on Emotion trim in Punto or at least as an option. Just my opinion. Now don't come all guns blazin' at me
+1.

There is a significant price difference between the Punto Emotion and the Abarth Punto that they can easily slot in a 110+ Bhp TJet to take on the GT TSi head on in terms of performance and price. Abarth can remain the flagship performance product.

Don't think a 140ps model would do any good though. Other than to create confusion in the lineup.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:00   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1.

There is a significant price difference between the Punto Emotion and the Abarth Punto that they can easily slot in a 110+ Bhp TJet to take on the GT TSi head on in terms of performance and price. Abarth can remain the flagship performance product.

Don't think a 140ps model would do any good though. Other than to create confusion in the lineup.
On a second thought, I agree. 140 doesn't make much sense when there is a 145HP variant. The T-Jet 113 would be good to have since it offers more than enough punch for most people (and will still be among the faster cars in the segment) and has best in class handling (now that the Figo is gone).
Abarth will be hardcore enthusiast car. T-Jet 113 will be a tamer, but more affordable version of Abarth. It shouldn't be much difficult for FIAT and its dealers too since the car will share the engine and some other mechanicals with Linea and all other parts with regular Evo.

PS 8-9 months ago, news of Punto with 113 HP T-Jet brought in the excitement of the arrival of a long awaited hot hatch. Now the same thing would appear as a tame car in front of Abarth How times change!
Old 20th October 2015, 00:00   #634
BHPian

Punto Abarth version is a great looking car with the new alloys and decals.
I wonder why fiat dropped the matte grey also they could have put those wonderful projectors showcased at auto expo last year.
Atleast the Abarth versions should have the projectors.
I see a lot of people getting this already hot little hatch remapped and makong it even hotter.
Thus car is gonna give competition to the Germans on the highways. :-)
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:03   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Another thought. Wonder now if VW will think about plonking the 1.4 TSI + 6 speed manual from the Jetta into the Polo. With 122BHP/200NM (or tweaked for a little more), a manual Polo 1.4 TSI MT will be a good match to the Abarth. With the DSG out of the equation, they should be able to price it on par with the Abarth. A 1.2 TSI DSG and a 1.4 TSI MT along with the Abarth would make it a happy time for buyers. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Well, VAG already have a competent 140 PS 1.4 TFSI engine alongwith a 6 speed manual transmission which they sell in India plonked inside the Skoda Octavia engine bay. So it is not like that VW lack the firepower to deliver a fitting response to the Abarth twins.

Fiat has already set the precedent with the sub 10lac price of the Punto Evo & the Avventura. Now the ball is in VWs court to see if they can offer us a more competitive package or would they let the Polo GTs being relegated to 'warm hatch' category.

P.S.: Also I hope they don't HaloFy the Polo 1.8 GTi too much when the 180PS Octavia 1.8TFSI DSG is already available for slightly below the 20lac mark.

Last edited by antz.bin : 20th October 2015 at 00:09.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 00:38   #636
BHPian

Congrats to FIAT, never thought this day would come. I'm sure many of you, just like me, are eager to get their hands on this machine. First, it needs some good grippy 205s or more. A remap after a year is another thing to look forward to. Couple of things I personally wish in this car, traction control and a waste gate(just for the sound ).

Does anyone know whether there were any changes made to the engine in terms of handling additional power? Is it capable of handling additional boost?
Old 20th October 2015, 00:49   #637
Team-BHP Support

What a fantastic move by Fiat, and great pricing too, I must say! Even though it may be 12.5 on the road, Bangalore it's okay, because there is absolutely nothing at that price-point packing in that much heat under the bonnet.

Personally, I'd cover up the tacky red inserts with gloss black wrap material and maybe remove the bonnet-roof-boot stripes. A few tweaks like wider tyres, a further 15-20mm drop in ride-height, a short-shift kit and a nice, fruity end-can to round it off would make it the perfect package.
suhaas307 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 04:43   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Does anyone know whether there were any changes made to the engine in terms of handling additional power? Is it capable of handling additional boost?
The answer to your question has already been shared by PatchyBoy a few pages back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Information from an insider birdie -

Differences between the Linea T-Jet and the Abarth Punto T-Jet

1. Turbo Charger
2. Exhaust Manifold
3. Intake Camshaft
4. Exhaust Camshaft
5. Intake Air Fuel Module
6. Pressure Sensor After the Intercooler
7. Boost Pressure and Temperature Sensor on Intake Manifold
8. Fuel Rail
9. Spark Plugs
10. Injectors
11. Battery
12. Blue & Me control unit removed. Replaced with Uconnect
13. Obviously different maps
Old 20th October 2015, 07:20   #639
Senior - BHPian

Here is a properly hot hatch priced reasonably. Now where are all these so called enthusiasts so that they can put their money where their mouth is.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 07:21   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Just my opinion. Now don't come all guns blazin' at me
Never! An enthusiast's dream never ends.

By the way I called the customer care about the Ex-showroom price in Kerala and was told that it would be 9.95 L here as well.
Vdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 07:40   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post

I am not a FIAT basher or an Apple fanboy. I've tried a balanced approach here and I also agree that FIAT has come up with some good products in the past. But this is not it. In fact, the POLO TSI may just be what the doctor ordered. A practical powerful hatch with usable power mated to a hardworking gearbox priced within 10 lakhs ON ROAD (NOT Ex-SHOWROOM, BUT ON ROAD, mind you). And the best part is, it is undeterred by the VW Emissiongate scandal. Oh, and have you heard of a single DSG gearbox failure in a POLO? Of course, its far more reliable than some stupid limited by torque C-section gearbox (or is it C510? I can't be sure).
Will dive back in and take my chance.

Unfortunately your scarsam does raise some points against Fiat in India, and for that matter world over, but will stick with 'Bharat' because today VW is:

1. The more premium brand, and premium means better which is very important in the Indian context.
2. Has the better percieved quality, and I mean visual quality as in fit and finish, quality of plastics, beadings etc. Fiat's may last longer, but the first impression is crap, and you know what they say about first impressions.
3. Has better ergonomics. I don't think any Italian brand will stand a chance in this category. This is subjective, but mud usually sticks.
4. Has the more up to date, cutting edge technology. It doesn't matter if issues crop up because its too cutting edge for India, but it's the latest so it must be the best.
5. Has the better resale value by a galactic mile.
6. Has the better percieved service because it's a more premium brand, and because Fiat shot itself in the foot when it started out with TATA, and that label ain't going away. This is debatable, but will give it to VW.

So Fiat's good, solid, dependable, old-tech driver oriented car's don't stand a chance whatever they do. Must have been mad to buy the T-Jet.

Just wish they had gone that extra bit and corrected issues in the new launches that really wouldn't have required a lot of investment. Small things to improve percieved quality would have gone a long way (I repeat 'impression matters'), and maybe a shorter throw on the gearbox since it seems to be one of those nagging issues and only means redesigning a mechanical linkage.

Good Luck FIAT, you need it.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 09:37   #642
BHPian

I'm burning up on the inside right now. If this was a couple of years ago, I would have replaced my Palio 1.6 with the Abarth Punto without batting an eyelid.

Now I've spent all my money on my Vento and cannot afford this anytime soon.
The Vento TSI is a great all-rounder, but this is, to borrow a phrase from Chris Harris, "Just Mega. Its an absolute weapon!"

I have to test drive this soon.

P.S. If / when I do buy one, I would get rid of the 'Gumball 3000' stickers / red surrounds.
Old 20th October 2015, 09:52   #643
BHPian

I'm in now. But not now, probably be Feb end or March because of other commitments.

I will go for Linea if it is "Powered by Abarth" or else its all the way "Avvy T Jet".
Old 20th October 2015, 09:58   #644
Senior - BHPian

A little late though I own a FIAT for past 2 years and am generally satisfied with the car, but for me this is a dream come true kind of situation.

Sale or no sale, FIAT has done what many of us were expecting for quite some time - a cat among pigeons. I took a test drive yesterday evening and hell, the machine launches itself and needs proper taming even with the present state of tune as they have made it hot already and god knows what will happen when people go for remap !

- All disc brakes are great and have enough stopping power, the car I drove had a reduced initial bite but were great once the paddle was pushed a little further
- The gearbox feels different and fairly less rubbery. There was no problem in slotting correct gears. Every time without a miss
- Lag is almost non existing and it starts pulling right from go. speed breakers on 2nd gear was not a problem, rather there is no problem if you start it from 2nd gear - the machine pulls and pulls
- Fit and finish has improved from what I own, I have not seen how Punto Evo was so not sure if it is better than Evo, but certainly well put together.
- New Alloys are certainly great and can stay with the car as most of us would like to have them

All in all - all praises for FIAT. Well done
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 10:04   #645
BHPian

The on road price of Abarth Punto Evo in Bangalore is 11.16 lakhs.

Source: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/fiat-abart...5-lakh-1233816
Closed Thread