Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2015, 22:42   #706
BHPian

Here's the bottom line....

If the Punto Abarth doesn't sell in decent to good numbers, all in all it won't matter much to fiat. They will try to capture the indian market again with another good product at another price point.

But as an automotive community to us it's very important that the Punto Abarth is a run away success. Because god forbid if it fails, then no other car manufacturer will dare to bring out their hot hatch at similar price point. We'll go back 10 yrs in hot hatch segment if that happens.

So pray hard, encourage Fiat and hope that this starts the affordable Hot Hatch era of the indian automotive industry.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 20th October 2015 at 22:47.
rana_kirti is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 23:17   #707
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Yes, the lack of stunning colours is the only thing lacking from the car at present, but I think it will be taken care of after seeing the initial reaction and feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
To demand something more, wish it could have came with more highlighting candy yet sporty colors, precisely saying Sporty yellow(Palio 1.6 Sports edition based), Parrot green or something in lines of Grey.
The Love, Praises and Wishes showered on Fiat despite their shortcomings can make any manufacturer jealous but Fiat mustn't take that 'for granted'. They have to improve continuously.
Old 20th October 2015, 23:21   #708
BHPian

Default Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Friends, Can someone help me to understand what all changes, fiat has done in this car to plonk this turbo engine. I need to know Specifically in terms of driving dynamics apart from all disc brakes. Is there a standard for Abarth cars? Have all those have been followed for the Punto Abarth?
Thanks, Prakash
Old 20th October 2015, 23:50   #709
BHPian

I love how threads yo-yo in tbhp. Probably comes from having so much passion on board a singular community.

I, for one, love what's on offer with the Punto Abarth. And to clarify, I am not a fiat fanboy, loved the GTX, didn't care for any of the other models. We-my wife, and 2 pugs-will be perfectly happy in this car. I've been looking around for a smallish car (easy to drive in the city) and something that has a fair bit of power. As a bonus, if a car was mod friendly for power, that would be the topping on my cake. And having a 145 bhp mod friendly hatch in the parking is cherries.

My considerations have been the Polo TSI and then onto a used CLA and Mini and cars like them. I want the power and I want it in a small package. I agree, some goodies like projectors should have been standard but really, in about couple of years when I begin to really fiddle with the car, I'll get my projectors, free flow, CAI, matt wrap et al. Maybe once the warranty runs out or maybe sooner, work towards having it make 180 bhp like the normal Abarth.

Only fly in the ointment, the rumoured 180 bhp Polo. Not at all because its a Volkswagen, but purely because it's 180 bhp. And that's a lot more than the Punto. If it makes it to our shores.

And my other car is a 2008 Grand Vitara. And a 2002 Lancer. Perfect addition to the family, this Punto. Probably remove all decals and upgrade the footwear on my way home though!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st October 2015 at 08:33. Reason: Typo; footware > footwear.
thewhiteknight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 00:05   #710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Friends, Can someone help me to understand what all changes, fiat has done in this car to plonk this turbo engine. I need to know Specifically in terms of driving dynamics apart from all disc brakes. Is there a standard for Abarth cars? Have all those have been followed for the Punto Abarth?
Thanks, Prakash
Well, apart from the Linea's T-Jet engine with beefed-up internals / components, disc-brakes and a mildly tweaked suspension, I'm assuming there isn't much else that separates the Indian Abarth Punto from the regular Punto Evo. Think of it as a Punto T-Jet (sold internationally) with Abarth touches. By doing this, Fiat has managed to keep it under 12 lakhs.

The real Abarth Punto is pretty hard-core, with Abarth-spec suspension & brakes, a heavily revised engine, drivetrain & exhaust with lots of Abarthy goodness, proper Abarth Sabelt sport bucket seats, 17" wheels, etc. Most importantly, the Abarth Punto was only sold in a 3-door configuration. All this would put it at a price point that may be inaccessible for the enthusiast on a budget.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 00:15   #711
BHPian

Awaiting the TBHP official review !

Its a great package for our country. However, from the pics it desperately needs a set of lowering springs and something must be done about that horrible after thought of a tail pipe !

Gear shift quality can only be commented on once someone has had seat time, its all speculation now.
Old 21st October 2015, 00:16   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
But as an automotive community to us it's very important that the Punto Abarth is a run away success. Because god forbid if it fails, then no other car manufacturer will dare to bring out their hot hatch at similar price point. We'll go back 10 yrs in hot hatch segment if that happens.

So pray hard, encourage Fiat and hope that this starts the affordable Hot Hatch era of the indian automotive industry.
Heard that a particular dealer has done about 20 bookings since the launch yesterday. That's impressive by FIAT standards.

Let's hope this one is a success, and makes VW respond with the GTi, and Suzuki with the sport.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:40   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
People need to realize "getting used to" does not mean it's not a flaw. That way, owners of cars with poor NVH get used to them in some time. Drivers get used to the long clutch travel, turbo lag, rubbery gear shift, lack of power, lack of ground-clearance etc. as they get accustomed with the car. A lot of "feel good/right" factors should be considered at first impression. That way, the Punto and Linea have sub-par driving position set up. And no one needs to own one of these cars and drive it around for thousands of kms to get used to the bad offering from the manufacturer.

Bottom line is, people get used to or settle for what they have in hand since they have to. Doesn't mean it's the best. "First impression is the best impression" does hold true in some cases.
Absolutely flawed argument. Getting used to and putting up with are two different things! Getting used to a driving position and ignoring the NVH isnt the same, at least in this case. e.g. "I ignore the NVH on my Liva" & "I got used to the seating position in the EVO", getting the drift ?

The way people have described the drivers seat is as if FIAT kept the steering wheel under the seat and the ABC pedals are placed in the boot!

When I upgraded from P220 to a CBR250, I had back, shoulder, neck and wrist ache for a few days, so CBR design is flawed ? First impression screwed ??

Yes, I was in the same boat as you (Check my Punto Ownership thread) I did complain about the seating position being weird. It wasn't as neutral as my Liva! 1000 kms down the line its felt fine. As of today I have used my EVO for 2.5 months about 6.5K kms, the driving position feels spot on, in fact I find it difficult adjusting to the Liva now.

I wont say its the best, but all the flak it draws seems to be over exaggerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
How easy is it to reduce the ugly ground clearance of the Punto Evo by say 20mm?

I remember F.A.S.S charging 1.5k for increasing the ground clearance of the pre 2012 Grande Punto and Linea.
Pre 2012 Susp kits are still available, I guess you can go back to 165mm GC
anand.shankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 07:02   #714
Senior - BHPian

I am very excited by this launch, even if I don't have the money to buy it. And like some one said, I am praying that this succeeds. Maybe prompting VW to bring the Polo with the 1.4 TSI with a manual GB. They could call it the GTI S.

And while others are thinking of lowering the Punto Barth, I would like to increase by 10mm or so. So that I can use it in the real world. No point in buying it if i can't use it everyday & every road (or most roads). I don't have the luxury of many cars to chose from (for a daily drive). A tire upgrade will probably achieve half of that.
Old 21st October 2015, 08:04   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, apart from the Linea's T-Jet engine with beefed-up internals / components, disc-brakes and a mildly tweaked suspension, I'm assuming there isn't much else that separates the Indian Abarth Punto from the regular Punto Evo. Think of it as a Punto T-Jet (sold internationally) with Abarth touches. By doing this, Fiat has managed to keep it under 12 lakhs.

The real Abarth Punto is pretty hard-core, with Abarth-spec suspension & brakes, a heavily revised engine, drivetrain & exhaust with lots of Abarthy goodness, proper Abarth Sabelt sport bucket seats, 17" wheels, etc. Most importantly, the Abarth Punto was only sold in a 3-door configuration. All this would put it at a price point that may be inaccessible for the enthusiast on a budget.
Is it because of this ballooning/blowing and tweaking the existing engine that the mileage seems very low? I do not mean that we should talk about mileage in a performance car. But I have seen people claiming till 20 km/l in GT TSI with a mild foot in highways and heard BMWs and Mercs above 200 bhps giving above 13/14 or even higher in highways (I am talking about their petrol versions). Can someone please confirm this? So Punto Abarth giving just 12 km/l in highways (read as per overdrive report or some report), means may be they have not put the real Abarth R&D as then, as everyone righly said, cost would have shot up.

So its just doing some modifications without spending too much on R&D or new technology into it, right?

I am a person who got irritated with diesel NVH and is moving back to petrol refinement throwing away the love for mileage. But I fell its not right to blindly discard the mileage since its petrol engine. We should always get more in everything, if it is possible.
Old 21st October 2015, 08:12   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Absolutely flawed argument. Getting used to and putting up with are two different things! Getting used to a driving position and ignoring the NVH isnt the same, at least in this case. e.g. "I ignore the NVH on my Liva" & "I got used to the seating position in the EVO", getting the drift ?
Sorry, I don't. You just basically got habituated to both. You got used to the seating and steering position just as you got used to the extra long clutch travel and rubbery long throw shifts.

Quote:
The way people have described the drivers seat is as if FIAT kept the steering wheel under the seat and the ABC pedals are placed in the boot!
I'm sure a bunch of people are going to defend Fiat even if they did that.

Quote:
When I upgraded from P220 to a CBR250, I had back, shoulder, neck and wrist ache for a few days, so CBR design is flawed ? First impression screwed ??
Are you suggesting the CBR is also flawless? Again you just got used to the pain. No pun intended. But then, I'm not a biker, but have couple of biker friends who wouldn't pick a CBR for a lot of reasons, but would rather ride an R15 or a D200 instead. But we are straying a lot here from topic.

Quote:
Yes, I was in the same boat as you (Check my Punto Ownership thread) I did complain about the seating position being weird. It wasn't as neutral as my Liva! 1000 kms down the line its felt fine. As of today I have used my EVO for 2.5 months about 6.5K kms, the driving position feels spot on, in fact I find it difficult adjusting to the Liva now.
You are just putting what I said, in different words. That's all I wanted to convey. The seating in a Punto and Linea is downright weird. Calling it "spot-on", "perfect" etc. is even weirder. And people who found it spot-on from day one, hat's off, and good for you'll.

As much as I adore the handling and steering feedback and almost zero body roll of the Punto, I detest the seating position, the gear shifts and the long clutch. And from the preliminary reports that have come out, Fiat seems to have made it more acceptable in the Abarth, and that's a great news for all.

I've been ignoring the fanboy rants for some time now and am going to do the same lest the topic diverts and shifts focus from the hot Scorpion. Peace out!
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 08:58   #717
BHPian

Quote:
The seating in a Punto and Linea is downright weird. Calling it "spot-on", "perfect" etc. is even weirder. And people who found it spot-on from day one, hat's off, and good for you'll.

I've been ignoring the fanboy rants for some time now and am going to do the same lest the topic diverts and shifts focus from the hot Scorpion. Peace out!
You need to understand that there is no such thing as "one size fits all". I haven't spoken about anything else, apart from seating position. If I found the seating position comfortable from day one, then it just means that the Linea's seating position is perfect for my requirement. Just because you think it is weird, it doesn't not automatically become weird for everyone. I am calling it perfect, because I found it to be perfect for me. You don't have to agree with that, but I strongly object to your statement. Also, I don't need you to decide what is perfect for me and what is weird for me.

Anyone appreciating anything that they like about a FIAT do not automatically become fanboys and whatever they say become rant. You don't know me from a fly on the wall and I don't think you have any business judging me.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 21st October 2015 at 09:06.
PatchyBoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:06   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And people who found it spot-on from day one, hat's off, and good for you'll.
I am one of those, who found it spot-on from day one. But I totally understand why people would call it weired. Ergonomics is not one of the strong points of Linea, I accept it. Gear box - I graduated from Palio, and I already knew what to expect. But, the clutch action being light in Linea was a boon for me, after having used Palio's super heavy clutch for 10 years. I had started getting knee pain after using Palio's clutch for so long. Yes, clutch throw is long in Linea, as it was in Palio. Not much difference here.

All these might not be liked by many, and it is understandable.

Each and every vehicle will have some things that one will not like, and it makes sense to pick a vehicle that aligns with one's priority, and the rest of it will have to be a compromise. That is my opinion.
deepakhon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:19   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Anyone appreciating anything that they like about a FIAT doesn't automatically make them fanboys and what they say rant. You don't know me from a fly on the wall and I don't think you have any business judging me.
May be you want want to calm down a bit. I'm sorry I ignited it.

Like I said, I'm happy that you found the seating perfect for your need. When I said it is weird, I was talking about myself. May be few others might agree to it. But what I said still remains my opinion. I didn't want to offend or judge anyone, and I'm sorry if anyone thought otherwise.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:37   #720
BHPian

I have seen "extreme" comments on this thread against and in support of FIAT. I don't want to add fuel to the already hot thread.

First and foremost, Kudos to FIAT for the pricing! Remember its a 1.4 so additional taxes compared to 1.2 in Polo TSI. They deserve a big round of applause. Its very important for the market to mature to the idea of 1 million rupee hatchback. Thats the only way we will get practical and FTD cars for city dwellers.

Now, here is my personal view.

Will I buy it?
No

Why?
I don't have the money and time to have 2 cars.

Can I use this as the "only" car?
No. Traffic is crazy and I really need a AT. Manual car in city is not practical. 5 years from now, its going to be worse than better.
Its one thing to be happy and excited about a hot-hatch and completely another thing to go out and buy it and use it as a "commute" car.
Gosh those stickers are plain gaudy. I can't think of driving that thing every day with those boy racer stickers! Please!
Punto looks gorgeous as it is!! Why do you need a "makeup"!

Would I consider this if this had a slick AT at 1L additional price?
Yes, I would have definitely evaluated it. I would still expect additional goodies for that price. And it better be a slick shifting AT to do justice to the engine !!

Is Mileage an issue?
Nope. If you are putting down money on 1.4 engine, you ought to be open to lower mileage than commuter 1.2 engines. On the highway 1.4 will not burn a hole, infact if driven right, it will be on par with a 1.2 K series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
Is it because of this ballooning/blowing and tweaking the existing engine that the mileage seems very low? I do not mean that we should talk about mileage in a performance car. But I have seen people claiming till 20 km/l in GT TSI with a mild foot in highways and heard BMWs and Mercs above 200 bhps giving above 13/14 or even higher in highways (I am talking about their petrol versions). Can someone please confirm this? So Punto Abarth giving just 12 km/l in highways (read as per overdrive report or some report), means may be they have not put the real Abarth R&D as then, as everyone righly said, cost would have shot up.
Probably this discussion should be on the Polo thread. Anyways..

I have managed to get 20kmpl (on MID) on Expressway. Set cruise control at 85 and drove it for 40km with just 1 stoppage for Toll Naka.

I have done to and fro on the same stretch to take out the argument about elevation/decent etc.
With a mild foot I was able to get 20 on NH4 for 10-15 km drive and mind you I was not driving "slow". Easily kept up with innova cabs and Swifts etc.
At 85 the engine is just chugging away at 1800rpm!!

What may really kill the mileage of Abarth Punto is the lack of 6th gear. May be owners of 1.4 NA can tell what is the engine RPM at 80 kmph on flat road to give an idea.
I don't think anyone will reject Punto Abarth just b'ca it gives low mileage. But hey, who doesn't want a good FE when performance is not needed.

Last edited by freedom : 21st October 2015 at 10:00.
freedom is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread