Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th August 2015, 09:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Toyota plans online sale of spare parts in India. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The pricing is high because they are HID lights not regular halogens that are a lot cheaper. The fully loaded models came with HIDs on the Altis other models had regular bulbs.
I thought so too but the pricing seems strange because I went and checked the Fortuner pricing and it's 50K for the unit. The Fortuner gets projectors with HID's.

So why is the Altis more than the Fortuner?

The regular unit for lower variants is also very expensive at 18,000!

Then there's the LED tail lamps at 11 grand for half of the unit excluding the half on the boot lid for reverse light.

Wipers cost 4 grand for a set but they last really long. Mine is 6 years old now.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 10:01   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota plans online sale of spare parts in India. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I thought so too but the pricing seems strange because I went and checked the Fortuner pricing and it's 50K for the unit. The Fortuner gets projectors with HID's.

So why is the Altis more than the Fortuner?

The regular unit for lower variants is also very expensive at 18,000!

Then there's the LED tail lamps at 11 grand for half of the unit excluding the half on the boot lid for reverse light.

Wipers cost 4 grand for a set but they last really long. Mine is 6 years old now.
Pricing seems to be totally incorrect. for an innova fog lamp, asking price is Rs 13622. (part number 812100K090).
Who will buy such insane pricing?

Moreover, they dont ship to Bangalore it seems; when I set my pincode 560066 (Whitefiled) I get a message that " Currently we donot support this pincode."

Overall looks like a good thought, but poorly executed.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 13:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I think Ford and Hyundai has already done this. Hope others will follow soon.
Where is the website of Hyundai parts ? i haven't heard of it.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 14:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Pricing seems to be totally incorrect. for an innova fog lamp, asking price is Rs 13622. (part number 812100K090).
Who will buy such insane pricing?

Moreover, they dont ship to Bangalore it seems; when I set my pincode 560066 (Whitefiled) I get a message that " Currently we donot support this pincode."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Where is the website of Hyundai parts ? i haven't heard of it.
I have a different take on this whole thing. None of these manufacturers really wanted to do this. They were happy making money through their A.S.S. for every small change. Tata once charged me 200 rupees labor for decarbonizing the exhaust of my then car. Only hitch was that I saw what they did. They drove the car to the back of the service yard and accelerated the hell out of the exhaust pipes while standing in neutral. I could have myself done that, thank you! The point here is that they had a cozy thing going for themselves till CCI spoiled the party.

Now what they are doing is out of mandatory compliance needs. These same folks once tried to sue Jagadish Khattar for his carnation business as he was importing genuine parts from other countries and selling at half the prices as compared to the A.S.S. So the change of heart is not coincidental. It is just that they are left with not many options after CCI slapped huge penalties on Hyundai and a few others and the rest were reprimanded.

So what do you do in such cases? Obviously you raise other barriers to make things difficult. So Hyundai asked the same car dealers to take the parts dealerships. You try to buy the parts and they will tell you they do not sell parts OTC while Hyundai will keep directing you towards them. I think there was a complain of that nature just some days back from one of our members. Toyota has taken a little different track. Price the parts so high that people will not think of buying. It is just there to check a mandatory tickbox that the law has forced on them.

However, I do see a silver lining in all these. Now that the law has taken a note of the unhealthy practices of these dealerships and has forced them to start providing serviceable parts to the customers on sale it will not stop here. These manufacturers will manage to thwart the intentions for some more time by creating such virtual walls. But sooner than later either the CCI or the courts or some other body will allow others to legally import spare parts from other countries and may even slap the local manufacturer a penalty if they find that the OTC prices are completely out of sync with the imported prices, or if they find that it is physically impossible to procure parts via the OTC channel although the setup exists on paper.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th August 2015 at 14:28.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Execution is simply horrible and it appears to be an eyewash for the Govt/CCI.

I tried to find Fortuner clutch and brake parts and their inventory search did not have any results/availability.

Tried to look for quite a few other things as well, but to no avail.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 16:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Execution is simply horrible and it appears to be an eyewash for the Govt/CCI.

I tried to find Fortuner clutch and brake parts and their inventory search did not have any results/availability.

Tried to look for quite a few other things as well, but to no avail.
That's the first thing that came to my mind. Looks like this was done just for the sake of having it in place and not really for benefit of customers.

Pricing is weird for some products, the listings are confusing and the search filters looks like some school project.

Once I select car as Altis '09, I need to mention the year of the car. Really poorly executed website. In this day of IT and Toyota being based out of Bangalore which is IT city, was there no decent vendor to develop a proper web page?

Secondly the shipping is valid for pincodes which are next to the Toyota dealership. Any pincode which doesn't have a toyota dealer is outside the purview.

Rather than buying online, I'll probably drive 10mins to the dealer next door and buy it from the shelf.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 16:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hahahaha, this is very much expected.

Does anyone here think that Toyota would want to annoy their trusted dealers who bring in the monies by luring customers? And then "fleecing" them during the services.

I am 100% confident that all the rates on this website will be at least 10% more than what you would get from authorized dealership workshop. Or as mentioned above, not even available at your location!
Because otherwise the workshops will lose all the spares business and the dealership (which make money not by selling cars, but by selling spares) will close down. A closed dealership = no sales of cars. Not a situation that any manufacturer would like to be.

This is exactly what happens when you get stupid populist measures taken by Govt agencies.
The best way to ensure competition would have been simple - let the things be as they are BUT reduce/eliminate the customs duty on spare part imports. THAT way, I as a customer can get parts from online sources and let the Toyota India and their dealers cringe under the competitive pressure from the agencies abroad.

Oh we have already covered that in the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...face-flak.html (CCI fines Hyundai Rs 420 crore; Reva, Premier also face flak)
Unfortunately most of the people on that thread took me to be a lobbyist for Hyundai. Whereas I was doing the exact opposite.

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th August 2015 at 16:52.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 17:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rather than buying online, I'll probably drive 10mins to the dealer next door and buy it from the shelf.
And since you are already present at the dealership, most likely with your Toyota, they'll tell you "Get it fitted also Saar, wonly 500.00 for fitting charges including tax" and most customers will end up doing just that.

Exactly how it works today. These bloodsuckers I tell you...
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 22:26   #24
Team-BHP Support

Another shock today.

One side headlight of the Altis had stopped working. Low beam is HID and high beam is regular halogen. The HID had conked off.

On way to work, I stopped by the dealer to enquire availability and price. I walked out of the parts store looking like as if I had seen a ghost.

Each bulb (not pair) is priced at Rs.12,900!!!!

This is a D4R Philips HID bulb sold in the Toyota box. I looked up philips retailer online and enquired if they had the D4R spec bulb. Getting it next week for 3K the exact same bulb.

Toyota is charging 4 times the price!!!
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 10:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Each bulb (not pair) is priced at Rs.12,900!!!!

This is a D4R Philips HID bulb sold in the Toyota box. I looked up philips retailer online and enquired if they had the D4R spec bulb. Getting it next week for 3K the exact same bulb.

Toyota is charging 4 times the price!!!
No doubt Vidyut. Toyota is ripping customers when it comes to the pricing of their spare parts. You were very lucky to source the part directly from OEM, but other components like bearings, belts etc which we inevitably have to source from Toyota only we have no choice but to pay the price whatever is quoted.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 18:06   #26
BHPian

Default Toyota Altis 2015 Rotor Replacement

Hi,
I've got a 2015 Toyota Corolla Altis and its done around 43k and I need to change my rotors.
I need some suggestions as to where to source the Rotors from so I can change them on my own.
The Toyota ASS wasn't quite helpful so to speak.

Regards
#enzowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 09:02   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Altis 2015 Rotor Replacement

Why do you need to change the rotors? Are they warped? Is the car shaking during normal braking?

You can try getting the rotors skimmed on a lathe machine at any independent auto garage. Go for replacement if that's not possible.
bowser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:21   #28
BHPian

Well, I sourced a pair of tail lamps for my first gen Innova from outside for about Rs. 2500 each. Dealer was quoting around Rs.4000. The tail gate dampers; Rs.2300 vs. Rs.8000 quoted by dealer. There is a difference between the two items though; while the tail lamps were the same spec as the Toyota spec, the dampers were a different spec.

Last edited by MinivanDriver : 26th March 2016 at 10:23.
MinivanDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

The 1st thing to do is to check if the rotors can be skimmed on a lathe machine. That should resolve the problem. If they're beyond recovery get OEM spares from an aftermarket dealer. Please do not compromise on the brakes. After the CCI put pressure on car companies they have relaxed their no-OTC-sales policies a bit. Check with a Toyota dealer. Or, if you are from BLR or know someone in BLR you can buy genuine spares from here: http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/ and have them shipped to you.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th March 2016 at 11:21.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 20:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Is the car shaking during normal braking?

You can try getting the rotors skimmed on a lathe machine at any independent auto garage. Go for replacement if that's not possible.
Yes the car is shaking during normal breaking after getting it skimmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Check with a Toyota dealer. Or, if you are from BLR or know someone in BLR you can buy genuine spares from here: http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/ and have them shipped to you.
Yes, have checked the website it's nothing but a waste of time.
Haven't called the Dealer yet but based on my previous calls regarding other parts I'm not optimistic on sourcing it from them.
Any other source ?
#enzowho is offline   Reply With Quote