Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th July 2016, 15:54   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Central Government Plans to Scrap 28 Million 12 Year Old Polluting Cars

Government should first scrap it's own vehicles, as they are old and dangerous, not just to the environment, but also the people sharing the road. Though it's not cars in specific I'm about. The State transport buses, garbage or dump trucks etc.

I'm quite confident that not all vehicles before 2005 would be polluting and would still make through the BS norms. I say this as my 2008 Fabia is far from what the numbers are set as target for pollution check.
21Archer84 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 15:35   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Central Government Plans to Scrap 28 Million 12 Year Old Polluting Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
I thought BS IV came in 2010. As per my understanding the article says 28 million vehicles registered pre 2005 (BS I & II mainly) would be replaced with BS IV under this scheme
Yes, they were upgrading every five years until they skipped 2015. Also, the hinterland was one step behind. So we have 40 (originally 14) cities on BS-IV and the rest of India still on BS-III. I do hear that BS-VI will come in across the land in one shot in 2020.

It is silly Kanpur is BS-IV but go a few km out and you get BS-III. A lot of people (esp Taxi and Tempo wallahs) register there and run happily in the City.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 16:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Government should first scrap it's own vehicles, as they are old and dangerous, not just to the environment, but also the people sharing the road. Though it's not cars in specific I'm about. The State transport buses, garbage or dump trucks etc.
+1 on that
My eyes pop out with fear to see old jeeps and vans on main roads, used as recovery vehicles when they themselves might need recovery anytime en-route.
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 07:39   #64
BHPian

Default Old car buyback rule coming

Govt will soon make it mandatory for automakers and their agents to buy old and unroadworthy vehicles and recycle them.

Here's the article in today's newspaper
Govt plans incentives for surrender of old vehicles-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482113375.813823.jpg
SumitBahl is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 09:54   #65
BHPian

Default Re: Old car buyback rule coming

I can't wait for the new rule to come into force. We have a Maruti 800 that will complete 15 years in March 2018.

Currently, we are in a quandary whether to sell it now itself or wait for the rule regarding scrapping to come into force.
Zezé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 10:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Old car buyback rule coming

A step in the right direction. BUT it looks to be voluntary. IF I take my old car, they have to accept and recycle.

From what I can see on the roads, it's not that people keep using old battered vehicles because they don't have a way to dispose it off. It's because, they don't have to bear any consequences for using that 20 year old smoke belching car. As part of such a policy, we also need to fix the RTO machinery that evaluates vehicles for being road worthy. The evaluation needs to be objective without any scope of arbitrary results.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 12:57   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Govt plans incentives for surrender of old vehicles

I think there was an article in Indian Express 2-3 days back that only the commercial vehicles will be required to be phased out after 15 years. Private vehicles can continue to run (as far as it fetches the fitness certificate).
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote