Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd August 2017, 22:55   #556
BHPian

Default Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

The new 2017 Hyundai Verna has received 4,000 bookings in the span of 18 days.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2017-hyun...8-days-1740517

Quote:
With prices starting at ₹ 7.99 lakh (ex showroom), Hyundai also announced that the 2017 Verna has already received 4000 bookings in the span of 18 days. With more than 45000 enquires, the company is confident that the 2017 Hyundai Verna will turn out to be a huge boost in the sales figure for the company.
If the above information is true, then Verna may well be challenging City and Ciaz in the mid size sedan class.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:25   #557
BHPian

Visited Trident Hyundai today evening and there were quite a few people coming in asking about new Verna although it was not crowded. Contrary to my earlier post, the test drive vehicles are available from tomorrow.

The car is a looker and has good presence in my view. The chrome doesn't look overdone in the front. Front seats are more comfortable compared to my Rapid and snugs you well. I expected the ventilated seats to provide more cooling than what I experienced but then I used it for less that 5 minutes and maybe it will get cooler over a longer duration. I could clearly feel the air circulating behind me and under thighs. The sliding arm rest has three positions and provides good support. Glove box and bottle holder pockets are small compared to Rapid.

The rear seat has slightly higher seating position and better angle compared to old Verna and feels comfortable. With the front seats fully pushed back, Rapid has at least 1 inch legroom in rear seat for my height however I found it difficult to get into Verna backseat with front seats fully pushed back. The hard plastic seat back, although looking good, compounds the situation. Three average sized adults can sit comfortably in the rear seat and the minimal floor hump makes it easy for the middle passenger.

The boot looked less deep and wide compared to Rapid (460L) but apparently it is 480L. Attaching some pictures I took and the price list. The price of old Verna and Creta is also available in the same sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
Inspite of all the gimmicks, this 2017 version is not as good as the outgoing model. The Fluidic Verna has Disk brakes in the rear while this new fangled 2017 version has DRUM brakes in the rear.
Rear disc brakes were removed in the 4S facelift itself and is not an omission particular to the 2017model. Btw, here is a CarDekho comparison of features from old and new Verna which also mentions the missing features in 2017 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also, the spare wheel is a steel one, not an alloy. And, it's a downgraded spare wheel for the SX/SX(O) variants!
Adding to that, the spare wheel is Bridgestone while the full size tyres are Hankook. The spare wheel well has a lot of free space which I wish could be added to the boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A comparison of the 2017 Verna with the 2017 i30 :
Model
2017 Verna 4440 / 1729 / 465L / 1475 / 2600 (Length/width/bootspace/height/wheelbase)
SA informed the boot space is 480L although I couldn't find that information anywhere in the brochure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I believe the current gen Elantra use J6 platform and the new gen verna uses K2 platform. Is the K2 platform a derivative of J6? I am confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If you're sure that the current Verna is based on the K2 platform then thanks for the correction. Yes two doubts will remain even then, one is if J6 is a derivative of K2, or is K2 simply a platform for the older Elantra/Tiburon (Hyundai's first 2.0 litre sports-car).
Under the Dynamic Performance section in the Product Customer module shared by pathik it is mentioned as "All New Platform (Elantra)". IIRC this was also mentioned in one of the slides during the launch event. If K2 platform is relatively old and new Verna is based on that, will Hyundai refer it as All New Platform?
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-flame-orange3.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-flame-orange1.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-flame-orange2.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-silver1.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-silver2.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-silver3.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-boot-space2.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-boot-space1.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hankook-tyre.jpg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-spare-wheel.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 Hyundai Verna Pricelist - Trident Bangalore.pdf (1.81 MB, 418 views)

Last edited by X-Factor : 22nd August 2017 at 23:54. Reason: Missed to attach pricelist.
X-Factor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:28   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
I am really impressed by the pricing of the Petrol SX and the features packed under 10lac.
I am wondering apart from the sweet iVTEC of City, is there any other strong pro in favour of City VMT compared to Verna Petrol SX? Note I am strictly considering the offerings under 10lac ex-showroom.
Few that come to mind:-

1. Space.
2. Seat comfort.
3. Engine and drivability.
4. Handling ( not sure till we test the new Verna but commenting right now only on basis general perception ).
5. Option of 5 years , unlimited kilometres warranty.
6. Fuel economy.
7. Better resale value ( again based on past market scenario )
8. Better design that will age well. ( arguably, I love the taught and angular lines of the City compared to organic lines of Verna )

Please Note: I'm not biased against either the City or the Verna. My favourite car in that segment is Skoda Rapid TDI DSG which I hope to buy some day if I can muster enough courage
Old 22nd August 2017, 23:35   #559

Here's a walk around of the new Verna. I noticed the petrol top of the line gets all the features that are missing in the diesel automatic i.e. Start/stop button, Ventilated seats etc.
Wished the same was offered, at least as an option for the diesel automatic as well.
Jagatvir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:12   #560
BHPian

Went to witness the all new Verna at the nearest showroom. I got so excited that I immediately booked the top end variant in diesel AT. I was shown the MT diesel top end and was told that this would have AT. Happily I took a test drive and then gave a cheque of 25000.
The evening was busy with work and after getting home I picked up the brochure and started going through it checking the feature list. To my shock I found out that the diesel AT which is more expensive than MT top variant is infact having
No Ventilated seats
No side Airbags
No auto link feature in mobile app
No auto open boot
No Start Stop ��
No leather seats
It's SX plus with the brochure having no clear column of this variant and mentions that this is in fact SX
Sad , It broke my heart
I hate Hyundai dealership Beear in Lucknow
They never gave clarity on any of this
And this stupid company Hyundai who feel that offering AT version with second top feature is a clever move to cut costs. People who like AT also want all the bell and whistles in the car. This is specially true when you're paying top dollar. Price of AT SX+ diesel is highest among all variants.
I am stopping payement on the cheque I gave and I am really glad I don't have to deal with this thug company.
Good riddance.
They also did not give clarity on what will happen if the car is delivered post cess increase.
The company has advertised the will give a price discount on first 20000 bookings
Imagine what I went through and how I feel. First full of hope and excitement and then completely cheated.
This way Honda WRV has 1500 cc engine start stop Sun roof Much better interiors touch panel AC at 11.3 lacs on road price in UP compared to 15.04 of Hyundai Verna with sunroof. 4 lacs difference for automatic transmission

Last edited by sameeracer : 23rd August 2017 at 03:17.
sameeracer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 06:03   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
How does feedback from 4S Verna owners have any impact on how the 2017 Verna behaves? 2017 Verna is a new platform. While I am not saying that there are problems with it.
You may've completely misinterpreted what the original intention of the post was, it is almost a given that the higher the quality of the platform the better the car will be. The old Verna was based on an i20 platform according to most sources and it ran like one too, while completely acceptable in city speeds it showed the stability of a large hatch and not of a sedan, added to it was soft springs and poor suspension setup which is the reason people called it a boat.

The 4S had the spring and suspension problem eliminated, it was uprated for tautness and stability and thus the feedback of 4S owners matter because it showed that Hyundai acknowledged that there was a problem and fixed it atleast to some extent. There is feedback from even an ex-Fiesta owner/Bhpian calling the car completely acceptable in highway speeds (while not being as fun as the Fiesta which is completely expected.

The platform from Elantra + higher input of high strength steels used in the Verna means only one thing, the car will have a stiffer chassis than before, will be more responsive than before and overall will have taut handling than before. This I'm 100% confident of, because Hyundai has literally been defeated in this area and they have come out all guns blazing this time. I say this with experience of driving most of their cars old and new and also with experience of driving German luxury saloons and German entry level brands like Skoda and VW. In the affordable section of under 15L I say there is just one lone champion, the Linea.. the Rapid and Vento do not even come close and infact they are closer to the Verna than Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
SA informed the boot space is 480L although I couldn't find that information anywhere in the brochure.
Great to know that, capacity is up by 15L I guess.

Quote:
Under the Dynamic Performance section in the Product Customer module shared by pathik it is mentioned as "All New Platform (Elantra)". IIRC this was also mentioned in one of the slides during the launch event. If K2 platform is relatively old and new Verna is based on that, will Hyundai refer it as All New Platform?
Very true, this is why I assumed that the Verna is based on the current platform of the Elantra which is the J6. Also, apologies for the nomenclature, the OP had originally written K2 and I mistakenly assumed it was K2, however the platform all have the nomenclature of J (Hyundai-Kia have only J and Y platforms) hence the OP might've meant J2. Even the fluidic Verna was based on the J4 hence I think this might be a J4 at the very least.

Lets hope we can back-up all these speculations with documentation as more details come out. EDIT : Test drive review coming up by the weekend subject to availability of the TD cars (registration et al).

Last edited by dark.knight : 23rd August 2017 at 06:06.
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:13   #562
BHPian

Overall, isn't this segment itself plateauing? People prefer the taller mini and micro SUVs to sedans. Still, I guess there will always be a market for this segment. The Ciaz has begun to look a bit dated now and so Verna might make a good run against the City.
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:47   #563
BHPian

Can't seem to find the Ground Clearance number, any info on what would be the ground clearance for the new Verna.will it be the same as the outgoing model (170 mm)?

Pricing for Hyd Attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NEXT GEN VERNA PRICING 22 8 17.pdf (115.4 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by zaveed : 23rd August 2017 at 10:50. Reason: additional info
zaveed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:48   #564
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, the fluidic implementation on the Verna does not appeal to me anymore. Lends itself better on Hyundai's higher segment cars which have started to take a more mature approach.

The i20 lost its disc brakes and now the Verna. Not good Hyundai.

+ to The Arkamys sound system, cooled seats and 6 speed auto box.

Never been a fan of this car due to its hopeless road manners. Cabin space was poor and that really low rear seat made you feel like you are sitting in a hole.

To its credit, I will say that the Verna has excellent interior appointments, top notch fit and finish, lots of active safety kit, excellent NVH and weather insulation and easily the most refined diesel motor in its segment.

Hyundai have basically taken most of the toys available on the Elantra and are now offering it on a lower tier sedan. While this can only be a good thing, I don't think the Verna is going to cause any trouble for the segment leaders, that is, the Suzuki Ciaz and Honda City.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:55   #565
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official brochure can be downloaded from here.

Also, the spare wheel is a steel one, not an alloy. And, it's a downgraded spare wheel for the SX/SX(O) variants!

Could you tell, how will it affect the handling in case of a puncture?
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:35   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Could you tell, how will it affect the handling in case of a puncture?
The weight, size & alignment of the Spare will be different when compared to rest of the three alloys.
The moment you put on such a spare, the Handling & Ride will be noticeably affected.

Hence, in this case, the Spare should be restored to it's original resting place (inside the boot) as soon as possible.
abhishek46 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:46   #567
BHPian

Wondering what does Arkamys sound mean? Are the speakers made by Arkamys? Is it a noticeably better audio setup?
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:58   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish5225 View Post
Wondering what does Arkamys sound mean? Are the speakers made by Arkamys? Is it a noticeably better audio setup?
Arkamys soundastage (that's the solution which is being implemented I believe) is a software based audio signal processing resulting in better audio experience.
Chief benefit being elevation of the soundstage from ankle level (where most of the speakers are) to ear level.
Already implemented in Creta & Elantra.

https://www.arkamys.com/product/soun...hancement-ivi/
blackasta is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:10   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Chief benefit being elevation of the soundstage from ankle level (where most of the speakers are) to ear level.
Basically speaking, proper time alignment of the speakers with respect to the driver position.

In my car - I spent hours to achieve this properly with all speakers and even the sub playing from the dashboard level as I wished. But when we bought the Xcent, I was suprised to note that the sound feels rather well aligned for a stock audio system. Creta and Elantra took it to the next level.

Swap the speakers to a better pair and the sound should satisfy most critics.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:04   #570
BHPian

Default The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Can't seem to find the Ground Clearance number, any info on what would be the ground clearance for the new Verna.will it be the same as the outgoing model (170 mm)?

Yes, Ground Clearance figures are not available neither on the Website nor with the Call centre. Call Centre executive directed towards the Dealer, which is not a reliable source. They can display both unladen (old system) and Laden.

Website contains many pictures with the name 'Accent'. Since Accent is stopped now, they could've used the same International name. Or, have they reserved the name for Taxi version of Verna?
Closed Thread