Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2017, 13:12   #571

Default Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

I feel this New Verna makes much more sense as compared to Creta, which is a glorified Hatch!

Why Verna (and not Creta)?

1. Same engine, Gearbox (now AT is 6 speed) as Creta (hopefully similar tuning)
2. Bigger Boot (480 Liters vs Creta's 402 Liters?)
3. This car is having stiffer chassis with better tuned suspension and better steering (as claimed by Hyundai, so if its true it addresses old car issues)
4. Wider Rear seat and better seating position with slightly better headroom (as compared to old Verna, so it takes care of old car's this issue too)
5. More features (Ventilated seats, cruise control, sunroof etc) as compared to Creta (when one compares top of the line models).
6. It is cheaper by almost 1 Lakhs on road (as compared to Creta, when we compare top end variants)

Makes me wonder that why would someone go for Creta, if they want to buy a Hyundai in this budget category? (apart from Higher seating position and better ground clearance, Creta does not offer anything extra)
Jas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 13:32   #572
BHPian

Default Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So Hyundai have played it smart here. You can add 10% GST cess to all the ex showroom prices very shortly. 10% additional cess on the GST will translate to around 12.5% on the OTR costs. So it will look like a fantastic launch price.

Overall very happy with this pricing. This is the most level headed pricing we have seen from Hyundai in a long time. Clap!
You are mistaken - 10% addition would not be on ex-show room price but Base Price (excluding Taxes) and hence the effect on final price would be less than 10%.
But yeah, the retrograde decision will make a fool of all car makers who gave full page advertisements during GST launch
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:05   #573
BHPian

Fantastic package ! City will definitely face some good competition.

How does the diesel Verna compare against Elantra? Both of them share the same engine right ?
aktarcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:09   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas21 View Post
Makes me wonder that why would someone go for Creta, if they want to buy a Hyundai in this budget category? (apart from Higher seating position and better ground clearance, Creta does not offer anything extra)
I think its SUVish Vs Sedan. Some reasons for Creta even though it lacks other features with the Verna upgrade.
  • Styling & SUV Look
  • Ground Clearance
  • Higher Seating position
  • R17 Tyres & Some fan following for the alloy
  • Safety features like HAC, VSM and ESC

Sales chart of coming months should throw some light on the choice of Mass
kmsithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:18   #575
BHPian

Quote:
The better ground clearance, Higher set seats and SUV body shape are HUGE extras!

That is the primary reason why the Creta, Brezza manage more than 10K units month on month.

Every time I see a battered speed breaker or those nasty rain water floods on the road, I wonder why I am still driving a low slung hatchback, in a place like Bangalore.
abhishek46 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:36   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Adding to that, the spare wheel is Bridgestone while the full size tyres are Hankook.
Providing Hankook tires in the standard spec is great news. They are definitely a step up from the earlier Bridgestone B series tires. Owners of older models can also opt for this brand.

I believe the Hankook never had anything in the size 195/55 R16. Might be a new launch alongside the new Verna.
Myth_sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 14:51   #577
BHPian

A couple of observations from my side. I haven't checked out the car in person yet but couldn't help making an opinion based on pictures and data.

* The design is good albeit not being a complete departure from the previous iteration. I wish that headlamp console had a black casing instead of chrome. That way, like the i20, the DRLs would stand out without appearing tacky. As of now, those headlamps are a sorry sight. Love the LED signature tail lights though. Seems to look cracking at night.

* Interesting tuning of the 1.6 diesel. The torque begins much earlier now, at 1500 RPM and extends even further now, to 3000 RPM earlier specs being 1900-2750 RPM. This is different from Creta's tuning and the Verna being more aerodynamic should result in stunning performance. I reckon the power delivery will be extremely linear given the tuning with no semblance of that 'seat in your pants' feeling. It's kinda hard to explain but I'll try. In the i20, I feel likewise. The car accelerates to any speed I like; even to some speeds that can't be mentioned here but there's no shove, no 'push back in the seat' feel. The feeling is rather flat at 3 digit speeds which is quite unlike the peak torque cars I've owned previously. I have a feeling Verna will drive like my i20 or even better.

* The fuel and temperature gauges on the Verna look pretty old school. The digital gauges on my i20 look more contemporary and cool.

* I don't see much use for ventilated seats. If the air conditioning is good enough, one really doesn't feel the need for seat ventilation. Heated seats in a colder country is more useful and practical than ventilated seats in a hot country in my opinion. Well, at least Hyundai has a USP to play 'one-up' over competition.

* No telescopic steering adjustment? My cheaper i20 has it and I love it. Hyundai is seriously messing up features of late.

I would like to hear the views of anyone who's taken a test drive of the diesel. The 1.6 is a great performer and I hope it is only better with the new tune.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 23rd August 2017 at 14:53.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:03   #578
BHPian

The car has grown on me tremendously. and I am looking forward to the review from Team-BHP. This car is near the top of my shortlist.
One feature that I cannot seem to find is the 60:40 folding seats. I am surprised such a basic feature is given a miss by most manufactures.

But hey, there's a shiny sunroof to compensate.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:52   #579
BHPian

Now this is confusing..

Name:  Hyundia site issue.jpg
Views: 4126
Size:  65.3 KB
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 16:00   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Now this is confusing..

Attachment 1669150
This is the laziness and lack of attention to details while proof reading/testing the website.
Old 23rd August 2017, 16:25   #581
BHPian

The design is an iteration of the current model and Hyundai has improved on the last iteration. As expected it is an evolution rather than an all new design as in the case of the Elite i20.

I liked the dual tone treatment of the interiors with beige on the middle of the seats and darker shades on the sides and the lower sections of the interior. This should greatly help in maintaining the interiors clean.

The alloys look sharp and complement the car unlike some other manufacturers who do not take much effort in this department. I did not like the chrome treatment on the front and think that it is a bit overdone.

One key factor that may be crucial to sales is the rear seat comfort. The Honda City is the current segment leader and Hyundai must come close to consistently challenge the City in this segment. As a post above mentions, the squab angle of the back seat seems to have changed which may have improved things. It may be the Ciaz that looses more to the Verna than the City I feel.

Quote:
I feel this New Verna makes much more sense as compared to Creta, which is a glorified Hatch!

Why Verna (and not Creta)?
While there may be some canibalisation of Creta's sales by the Verna, I do not think this would be much of an issue due to the difference in body styles. SUV buyers would rarely compromise on an SUV body style for a sedan even if the equipment levels are better. It is kind of similar to a sedan v/s hatch decision too. Higher equipment levels of hatches can rarely tempt a sedan buyer.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 19:54   #582
BHPian

Not a professional review but an amateur review. The guy seems to have got hold of the car on the day of the launch itself. He drives over rough road and the car seems to handle well. The suspension issue seems sorted out.

The rear space it appears from this review that the Verna is lagging behind the City and Ciaz.

Link to Review: Note - Review is in Hindi

vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:12   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Not a professional review but an amateur review.
Amateur or not, this is a very useful review, the only missing piece was feedback on handling etc. and detailed competitor benchmarking. I wish similar review was available for petrol SX variant.
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:22   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Not a professional review but an amateur review. The guy seems to have got hold of the car on the day of the launch itself. He drives over rough road and the car seems to handle well. The suspension issue seems sorted out.
His seems to be impressed by the ride quality, interior quality and the gearbox which is a such a good sign. Got to see the DRL and tail lights in action, they look sweet.
As per him Leg room isn't in the class of the City and Ciaz. I wonder what the reviewer's height is. Now the wait for a detailed review from T-BHP and other blogs begins.
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:40   #585
BHPian

I am just back from TD of Both Auto Petrol SxO verna and Diesel SxO manual Verna

To address a few concerns here

1. The Rear space is bit on lower side when compared to Ciaz and City which are roomier. Though the Rear Room has improved from last iteration it is definitely not in that city or ciaz league.
2. The 'Boaty Ride' is all gone now. Having owned a 1st Generation Verna i can really vouch for it. I sat at the back seat to check this and asked my sales rep to drive the car wantedly to gauge this. And its gone. The SA tried to swerve and drive through potholes to prove this.
3. The Handling part is also sort of sorted out but definitely not in league of my previous car Linea. The steering is still a touch lighter than i would have liked but it is definitely no way near the one finger turn of my First generation verna.
drashkum is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote