Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st August 2017, 17:01   #721
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Hyundai says the new Verna has received 7,000 bookings within 10 days of launch.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 17:30   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai says the new Verna has received 7,000 bookings within 10 days of launch.

At launch they had a 10,000 unit target by Diwali. So leaves them with 3k units more to sell by then. Looks like they will achieve their target if not go past. I anticipate the New Verna to settle in at around 5-6 k units per month.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 18:08   #723
BHPian

Had a short spin in the new Verna SX+ AT diesel yesterday at Pinnacle Hyundai, Thrissur. These are my observations.

Drive : Let's admit it. Hyundais aren't exactly known for the way they drive. But many of the online reviews mentioned this being a driver's car, so that sparked my interest. Slot the gear lever into D, press the accelerator and you're welcomed with a strong, linear surge of torque. Turbo lag is very well controlled and getting off the line is pretty effortless. I was impressed by this because we have a fluidic Elantra at home, and the 1.6 CRDI there has a very evident lag till about 1800-2000 rpm. I must say the new Verna has a lot more potent bottom end torque. The TD vehicle had rev meter and speedo disconnected so I couldn't check the exact engine rpm. But it sure is impressive.

Coming to the gearbox, this is one well tuned Torque Converter. Gearshifts are smooth and fast for a TC and the gearbox is smart enough to drop 2 gears when the need arose. Very impressive indeed. The punchy yet refined engine along with this impressive 6 speed TC gearbox will make this a capable cruiser.

Steering is light at city speeds, but weighs up sufficiently at higher speeds. It's one of those better feeling ones from Hyundai. There's an artificial feel to it though. But they have improved a lot.

Ride and Handling : Firm is not the exact word you'd look for when describing a Hyundai suspension. But this one really has a firm edge to it. Ride quality is good. Handling is still not at par with Rapid/Vento, but it has drastically improved over the previous gen.

Exterior : While it has some mini-Elantra touches here and there, I'm not exactly a fan of the tallboyish stance of the Verna. The Elantra was all swoopy and sexy, this one needed to be a bit more longer and lower to pass off as sexy. But it isn't bad looking either. Rear lights are awesome! I felt that the white color in particular made the rear look a bit bulbous. Even the 16 inch alloys look a bit undertired. Black color Verna looked better. Waiting to see the Sienna brown color on road.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1.jpg

Interior : Well designed, very well put together, practical and functional. Telescopic steering is not present, but I was able to find a good driving position by adjusting the seats. Dead pedal offers good comfort. Armrest is broad. Nothing to complain about the interiors, but not much that exudes luxury either(none of the cars in this segment do IMO). It is premium and has to be one of the best in the segment, but I'd have preferred a bit more premiumness

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-3.jpg

Space is good at the front. Not much side bolstering for the front seats though. Ventilated seats are always a welcome addition. Rear seats are ok. Not as much legroom as City or Ciaz, but the seats are comfortable.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-4.jpg
Leg room left after adjusting front seats for my height (5'8")

Top end SX(O) MT diesel priced at Rs 14,28,000 on road Thrissur. I believe Hyundai has messed up big time by not giving a SX(O) AT diesel. Even if it cost a lakh extra, this would have been a complete package. I still don't get what Hyundai is plotting here

A bit OT, but where does this leave the Elantra? At least in the diesel guise, the Verna and Elantra share way too much now. Elantra does pass off as the plusher one. It's got a bit more equipment too. SX(O) AT Elantra costs almost Rs 22,22,000 Kochi. But Elantra simply can't justify the Rs 8 lakh premium. I'm afraid the days of Hyundai pulling the plugs on that beautiful car is close!

Last edited by GKR9900 : 31st August 2017 at 18:12.
GKR9900 is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 18:15   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
At launch they had a 10,000 unit target by Diwali. So leaves them with 3k units more to sell by then. Looks like they will achieve their target if not go past. I anticipate the New Verna to settle in at around 5-6 k units per month.
5-6K/month is too much optimism. They simply don't have any space or slot to make them. They are already on 90% production. So that gives a chance of 4K vehicles more. There is no Hyundai car except maybe EON/XCENT which sells moderately. Everything else is not just a blockbuster but big money spinners. A quick glance at Verna pricing indicates that their profit is going to be much less than a Creta or i20 or Grandi10. So which car will they sacrifice for Verna. I feel after the initial rush, it is going to settle down to 2.5-3K which still is a very good number. Also remember CIAZ is due for an update and they are going to throw everything at it to ensure they stay in the lead with CITY. with new gen CITY coming in 2018/2019, things would get heated up further. Nice time for buyers I say!
RaghuVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 18:18   #725
BHPian

Notice those nice round blue stickers. Nice way to actually list out features on the display car. You don't always need a sales person around to list out the features. Very thoughtful Hyundai. Clap.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 18:59   #726
BHPian

Quote:
5-6K units a month sounds to be on the higher side. The elder sibling Creta is still extremely popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
5-6K/month is too much optimism. They simply don't have any space or slot to make them. They are already on 90% production. So that gives a chance of 4K vehicles more. There is no Hyundai car except maybe EON/XCENT which sells moderately. Everything else is not just a blockbuster but big money spinners. A quick glance at Verna pricing indicates that their profit is going to be much less than a Creta or i20 or Grandi10. So which car will they sacrifice for Verna. I feel after the initial rush, it is going to settle down to 2.5-3K which still is a very good number. Also remember CIAZ is due for an update and they are going to throw everything at it to ensure they stay in the lead with CITY. with new gen CITY coming in 2018/2019, things would get heated up further. Nice time for buyers I say!
Agree with your analysis, 3K+ units per month seems realistic and those were the Verna's numbers in 2014. However, the initial 2-3 months may see higher numbers.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-car_sales.png

I was looking at the Team-BHP charts and when the 2014 city was introduced - the City and Verna ran a two horse race till about Sept-2014 when the Ciaz was released.

Based on what I see on the numbers the Ciaz did not dent the Verna numbers too much and it continued on as a 3 horse race till Jun-2015 when the Creta was introduced and the Creta dented the Verna big time.

So its a wait and watch to see if the new Verna manages to pluck back some numbers from Creta. Until the facelifted Ciaz is launched the Ciaz numbers may drop some as people will go for the newer cars such as the 2017 City and the new Verna.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 19:15   #727
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Top end SX(O) MT diesel priced at Rs 14,28,000 on road Thrissur. I believe Hyundai has messed up big time by not giving a SX(O) AT diesel. Even if it cost a lakh extra, this would have been a complete package. I still don't get what Hyundai is plotting here.A bit OT, but where does this leave the Elantra? At least in the diesel guise, the Verna and Elantra share way too much now. Elantra does pass off as the plusher one. It's got a bit more equipment too. SX(O) AT Elantra costs almost Rs 22,22,000 Kochi. But Elantra simply can't justify the Rs 8 lakh premium. I'm afraid the days of Hyundai pulling the plugs on that beautiful car is close!
I completely agree they did the same with Creta as they told people looking for premium segment automatic should look for Tucson but the price difference is too high, a Creta diesel top model Automatic would have put sales charts on fire.
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 20:45   #728
BHPian

One person expressed his Disinterest on Verna due to lack of a Diesel Automatic in SX(O) trim.

Name:  IMG_20170831_203720.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  122.4 KB

I am in the same boat as well, the Creta is highly overpriced for what it is, the Verna though Well Priced, doesn't have a Top Spec Diesel AT like on Petrol.

Will Hyundai make quick note of this & launch the SX(O) AT in near future ? (Auto Expo 2018)
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 21:27   #729
BHPian

Can anyone please share the pics of EX diesel variant interiors. Specially the ICE and dashboard.
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 21:33   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Can anyone please share the pics of EX diesel variant interiors. Specially the ICE and dashboard.
I have been looking for this since the launch but no luck so far. My EX Auto reaches the stockyard next week and I will be going for PDI. If no one else posts it by then, you can count on me for pictures of the EX variant - interior and exterior both.
pathik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 23:44   #731
BHPian

I went and saw the new Verna a few days back and i have to say i was really disappointed with the way the automatic drives. The gear changes are slow and the low end torque on the petrol auto is not adequate. The CVTs & Dual Clutch systems seem so much more advanced compared with a TC unit. Maybe I'm just spoilt with my CVT Corolla and City. Coming to the exteriors, the new car looks more mature and the rear end is special ! The interior seems very well put together and is probably the best in its class in terms of quality. Once inside you can't help but feel that the car is a size smaller than the City which has much more space overall. Its Honda's packaging mastery that Hyundai needs to learn from. Overall, i wouldn't buy the Petrol Auto Verna over a City Auto and its definitely a no if you are going to be chauffeur driven, the city is way better.
nik_kapur is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 09:24   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
a Creta diesel top model Automatic would have put sales charts on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
One person expressed his Disinterest on Verna due to lack of a Diesel Automatic in SX(O) trim.

the Verna though Well Priced, doesn't have a Top Spec Diesel AT like on Petrol.
A quick glance through the brochure reveals what all SX+ AT diesel owners will miss out on compared to SX(O) manual. The ones in bold are the real grouses. Glad that they've retained the sunroof for the SX+.

-Side & Curtain airbags
-Smart key with push button start
-Chrome door handles
-Leather door center trim
-Light adjustment for the instrument cluster
-Adjustable rear seat headrests
-Leather seats
-Ventilated seats
-Connected car technology
-Smart trunk
-Luggage hook and net in the boot

Come on Hyundai, why the hell do you do this ?

Quote:
Notice those nice round blue stickers. Nice way to actually list out features on the display car. You don't always need a sales person around to list out the features. Very thoughtful Hyundai. Clap.
Thoughtful indeed, especially when a potential customer is kept waiting for a good 10 minutes before being attended to

Last edited by GKR9900 : 1st September 2017 at 09:28.
GKR9900 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 11:28   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Glad that they've retained the sunroof for the SX+.
I would have been happy if they had given side and curtain airbags instead of Sunroof.
Simhi is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 12:11   #734
BHPian

Quote:
The TD vehicle had rev meter and speedo disconnected so I couldn't check the exact engine rpm.
I'm guessing the dealer is going to sell this particular car off as 'brand new'. I pity the fellow who lands up with this 'new' car. Imagine someone paying full price and getting a vehicle that seems new (delivery km's on the ODO), but has probably been thrashed around by a number of potential customers. Horrible practice by dealer.

(Sorry for going off topic)
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 12:26   #735
BHPian

As per ET report, Hyundai is shifting some of their Verna production from home country Korea to India

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/60316013.cms

Company target is to increase the Verna annual production capacity to 1.3 lakhs over the next 2 years. Out of this, 50K will be for Indian market and remaining 80K will be exported to countries in Latin America, Africa, Middle east and other Asian countries.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote