Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th September 2017, 10:09   #946
BHPian

Hyundai just finished the 15th day home visit of my car. All good. They asked me to install hyundai care app and register in front of them. Seems all service history will be populated there. They checked my car on whole. Came to know that the sunroof also has anti pinch.

The engine cover was removed and it had a good amount of padding

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1506487114155.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1506487159531.jpg
drashkum is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 06:48   #947
BHPian

Default Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Hyundai has provided these sweet headlights in Accent 2018, whereas we get plane reflectors here in India.

https://m.hyundaiusa.com/2018-accent/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-20170928_064550.jpg  

kashyapz8055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 07:41   #948

Oh so the US is finally getting the new model too? They didn't get the 4S or Solaris update, did they? My 2016 car didn't come with the engine cover for some reason.
Karooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 12:22   #949
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai drops the following email:

Quote:
The Verna has received more than 15,000 Bookings and more than 124,000 enquiries in just 40 days of its launch in India.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 12:41   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai drops the following email:
That's a big success, more than what Hyundai had anticipated. And who's taking the hit, Ciaz, City or both equally?
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 15:58   #951
BHPian

Hello guys,
I had a chance to test drive the New Verna Petrol SX (O) AT and Diesel SX (O) manual at Shreem Hyundai Borivali.

First off I drove the petrol auto, the demo car was very new with hardly 500 KMS on the clock. Found the engine to be super refined on start up, slotted the car in D and away we went. The performance felt muted at best, I was expecting the car to be lot more eager, but yes I would not call it slow. The gear changes were quick and we could hardly feel them. The test drive was rather short, around 2-3 kms at best. What shocked me was the mileage readout of 4.2 KMPL with the diesel at 7.4 KMPL.

Then we jumped into the diesel, and my impression was just WOW! This engine is a gem and Hyundai have really tuned it well. The NVH is so well managed that the Fiat 1.3 diesel feels like a tractor compared to this. Again, I followed the same route as the petrol, so could not go past 4th gear. The performance is so much better than the petrol, also the ingear acceleration felt rather strong.

The ride quality of both the cars felt very pliant. I am currently driving a 2011 Honda City which has a very crashy ride, the Verna felt superb. The thuds were muted and car did not jostle us about on bad roads. The clutch is reasonably light and the gears are a joy to row, with a short throw.

What I liked:
1. Very attentive staff, right from the lady at the reception who ushered me and my family in, made us feel comfortable to the Sales Advisor who promptly attended us.
2. All Hyundai cars barring Tuscon and Elantra were displayed in the showroom, of course we jumped right into the Silver Verna SX (O).
3. Loved the interior arrangement, everything falls right to hand and is logically laid out.
4. The instrument cluster is classy and looks pleasing on the eye.
5. The infotainment system is very slick with all touches registering correctly and screen responding with nary a lag.
6. Excellent NVH
7. Superb gearbox and a light clutch.
8. Very pliant ride and decent road manners
9. Loaded infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple Car play

What could be better:
1. I am 178 cms, and I could sit behind the drivers seat adjusted to my height comfortably, but it surely falls short of the City and Ciaz in this area. Not really a deal breaker for me as I still had more than enough room.
2. No 60:40 rear seat splits
3. I found the sound quality to be decent but I had high hopes of the Arkamys system, now I am eager to audition the Nexon's Harman setup.
4. The Spare wheel is not an alloy
5. The dashboard though pleasing, does not vow and it's made of hard plastics. No soft touch materials to be found anywhere except the door pads. Of course, the rivals too do not have this.
6. The MID could have been larger and full color, like the Baleno's
7. The ventilated seats are a cool feature, but could do with a wee bit more cooling.

All in all, I am very pleased with this car. I believe its one of the most complete cars and should keep the owners satisfied for a long time.
I am looking forward to drive the petrol manual to get a feel of the engine/gearbox combo, also to take it for a longer spin to see how it handles at speed.

Regards

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th October 2017 at 16:08.
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 18:04   #952
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good to see positive reviews on handling department. I am having diesel at in my mind and this seem to tick all the boxes
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 19:04   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Good to see positive reviews on handling department. I am having diesel at in my mind and this seem to tick all the boxes
The Diesel is a much better engine as compared to its Petrol counterpart. It's very refined and the performance is commendable too.

Came across this video comparing the performance of Verna and City Petrol engines. There is nothing between them, it's absolutely neck and neck. The City has the advantage of being a lighter vehicle.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 19:48   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
There is nothing between them, it's absolutely neck and neck. The City has the advantage of being a lighter vehicle.
Cheers
If the City is lighter, then the Verna has the advantage of a more powerful engine too. So the lighter City is not exactly a one sided advantage. Verna has more grunt. Still, the acceleration of the City is much better and also seems more linear.
pixantz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:14   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If the City is lighter, then the Verna has the advantage of a more powerful engine too. So the lighter City is not exactly a one sided advantage. Verna has more grunt. Still, the acceleration of the City is much better and also seems more linear.
Exactly, that's why I mentioned there is nothing to choose between them.
The power difference between them is around 4 BHP in the favor of the Verna, whereas the Honda City is around 100 kilo lighter.

Looking forward to seeing the ingear acceleration timing between the two.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:25   #956
BHPian

One thing which i observed, is that Hyundai really worked on proper production and supply chain for the new Verna. I have been spotting a lot of Vernas (though all in silver and white) as of today, more than Dzires I have spotted. Front three quarters is pretty boring. Head on front has good stance, and so has rear three quarters. Waiting for TBHP official review on Verna for the verdict.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:33   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Then we jumped into the diesel, and my impression was just WOW! This engine is a gem and Hyundai have really tuned it well. The NVH is so well managed that the Fiat 1.3 diesel feels like a tractor compared to this.
Have you driven the Fiat 1.3 extensively? Fiat 1.3 is definitely less noisy than the Honda i-Dtec. Hyundai is definitely the most refined

I have extensively driven Fiat 1.3 and at medium to high speeds, it is not noisy at all
bhpfaninblr is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:50   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Have you driven the Fiat 1.3 extensively? Fiat 1.3 is definitely less noisy than the Honda i-Dtec. Hyundai is definitely the most refined

I have extensively driven Fiat 1.3 and at medium to high speeds, it is not noisy at all
I have driven almost all kinds of Diesel Engines that are there in Indian market currently. Luckily, have some with us in garage.

Had a Swift Diesel (1.3)
Had a Verna Diesel (1.6)
Have a i20 Diesel (1.4) Sister's
Have a City Diesel (1.5) Brother's
Have a Rapid Diesel (1.6) Mine
Have a Tiago Diesel (1.0) Mine
Have a Ecosport Diesel (1.5) Brother's
Lastly have a Jetta Diesel (2.0) Dad's

All these engines are different.

Swift - noisy when being revved.

Verna - wasn't noisy but the idling noise and at lower gears there was a bit of it. But, refined enough.

i20 - Noisy when starting off and a when revving above 2k rpm

City - noisy when revved above 80 kmph.

Rapid - Nosiest when starting off, but very silent when coasting

Tiago - Crude when idling, very noisy when revved, refined when cruising

Ecosport - Most Refined when starting off, silebt when coasting. Slightly noisy when revved in higher gear around 3k rpm

Jetta - Noisy only from outside at slow speeds. Petrol like refinement when cruising.

If I had to pick a car just on the basis of Refinement, it would be the Jetta.

But coming to the subject, that iDTEC engine in Amaze is loud, but the same in Jazz/City is much refined. In fact, when idling, the City creeps in less noise compared to Verna. Anyone who has sat in these cars side by side will know it. It's hard to prove but the Honda Diesel is vastly improved over earlier batches.

So, it's a win win situation for both Verna & City. But, if performance is a factor, the Verna will race like a Space Launcher. While it'll loose out the acceleration to Rapid by a small margin.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 22:56   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post

Yep, I very much have. I've owned a 2012 Punto and driven it for 30K KMS. So yes, the Verna's engine cannot be compared to the Fiat 1.3.
Never had the opportunity to drive any Honda diesels but I will get my rear in the drivers seat of the Honda City soon enough and report back.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 23:40   #960
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I am currently driving a 2011 Honda City which has a very crashy ride, the Verna felt superb.
Going OT here but if you feel your 2011 City has a crashy ride, your suspension is shot bro. The 3rd gen City had very good manners, high speed highway runs or driving on potholed streets of the cities the ride was never crashy, it was the best. The suspension was tuned perfectly, keeping in mind the softness quotient needed for a comfortable/relaxing city drive to soak in bumps as well as the stiffness needed for planting the car at highway speeds.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote