Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th October 2015, 02:51   #511
BHPian

Default re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Hormazd Sorabjee's review on the Baleno sounds promising.

The Baleno will be able to squeeze out 21.4 kmpl from the 1.2L Petrol pot, now that's really tremendous. Suzuki claims the higher fuel efficiency is due to their new generation platform.

Suzuki has put up a clear cut video on their global website about their new generation platform. You should check it out if you haven't.

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/
Old 14th October 2015, 05:57   #512
BHPian

Default re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
. This time last year, the only mainstream hatchback that tickled the 10 lakh mark ,by the end of this month, two more hatchbacks, the Baleno and the Punto Abarth. The top-end diesel Figo at 9.5 lakhs on-the-road-Bangalore, isn't far off either.
Sorry but Figo costs only 9 on road in Bangalore for Titanium Plus. And there is no way one can bring Abath Punto to table when talking about hatchbacks like Baleno and i20. Baleno is a pathetic effort by Maruti. I wouldn't even give it a second look even if this car is being sold only by invitation. This car has no USP other than some creature comforts, I would have appreciated if this car had 6 airbags.By Baleno standards Figo must be 'Super Premium' with 6 airbags and a 100 hp engine! But then anything dished out by Maruti will be lapped up.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 14th October 2015 at 05:59.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 07:30   #513
BHPian

I dont know about others, but for me the fact that this car doesn't have better engine options is a super bummer.

For me atleast Engine is the heart of the car and one which the manufacturer specifically calls 'premium', needs to have a better heart. This car begged for at least the 1.4 K series and the MJD 90 hp. That would have completed the package for me.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 07:37   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
For me atleast Engine is the heart of the car and one which the manufacturer specifically calls 'premium', needs to have a better heart.
The engine options seem to be given considering the pricing that it needs to compete with established players in this segment and with added features.

As reports are in, the 1.0L booster jet engine (110 HP)will be offered after the EU launch in 2016.This engine being imported will have a price tag of ~ 1.5 Lakhs more than its standard variant.

The Baleno at launch stands at 98% localization so hopefully the pricing will be competitive.

Quote:
Coming to price, Maruti says that the Baleno already has over 98 per cent localisation. This would translate into pretty competitive pricing. My gut feeling says that Maruti will be looking at undercutting the price of the segment leader Hyundai Elite i20 which is priced from Rs 5.34 lakh for the base petrol to Rs 8.28 lakh for the top of the line diesel variant.
http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...review/23355/5

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th October 2015 at 07:52.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 07:50   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Baleno at launch stands at 98% localization so hopefully the pricing will be competitive.
Yes! Apart from this. The lukewarm performance of S-Cross (Maruti hoped for 5000/month), would also make them stick to a sensible pricing. Great for customers. ACI review indicates its a good car.
Old 14th October 2015, 07:53   #516
BHPian

For me, this car does not have anything PREMIUM about it that can command a restricted sale (read NEXA).

Reasons:
1. The safety features look ORDINARY after the new Figo came in.
2. The exterior design looks ORDINARY.
3. The interior design looks ORDINARY. Nothing exciting, though the quality may be better than OTHER MARUTIs.
4. The alloy wheel design looks pathetic.
5. Overall exterior design is strictly average for my eyes. The Chevrolet SRV looked way better, but it was ahead of time when launched.
6. The engines are anemic. I have driven the 1.2P in other Maruti cars and I know how stressed it feels on a highway. The 1.3 DDiS is stressed too. It is high time the manufacturers take note of the fact that there is a considerable chunk of people who look for relaxed cruising on highways for extended period of time. At least a larger engine could have been an OPTION here. (Like the 1.6 DDiS in SCross)
7. The 195 section tires look puny for this car. 195 should technically be adequate for hatchbacks in our country, but it looks puny for the massive proportions of the car.
8. The headlights and front portions look like a grown up swift.
9. Some interior bits used reminds me of lesser models. High time they changed the design of the door pads and power window switches, and may be the steering wheel too.

I loved the concept. But the final design is not up to the mark. I am disappointed. But that is just me. This car will have takers. It is from Maruti. And a fuel efficient Maruti at the speculated price point will have many takers. I am not complaining. Maruti knows India too well to make a mistake. They are spot on with fuel efficiency and the speculated price range.

A note worthy aspect is that they are bringing in lighter cars with the help of lighter and better chassis instead of going the VW way of blatantly cheating the world around them (for meeting emission norms). This is a good move if the chassis is as strong as the heavier ones. More technology put into such findings/improvements will go a long way in making better handling, fuel efficient cars. I am happy that we are getting to see better cars. But I wish Maruti comes up with cars that do not rattle and are safer to be in during an unfortunate incident.

I am starting to think of a new car. The one I own now has completed 1.2L kms. Not interested in Xovers/Sedans. My family does not use them much. Hope this is a worthy contender. Power can be taken care of by a remap (to an extend). Wider tires can also be bought. I just need a safe hatchback that is fun to drive.
DieselAddikt is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:12   #517
BHPian

I see most of the discussion around diesel, but a little about the Petrol. Shall we?

The i20, Figo & Jazz are excellent cars but saddened me due to their lackluster petrol variants. For the stupid tax structure+petrol prices they have always been given a step-brotherly treatment.

This one has a similar heart but the reviews sort of tend to make me feel this is worth considering. Lighter chasis would ofcourse lead to peppier performance but the same chasis raises my doubts as well from safety front. Never the less, this might affect the sales of i20 and jazz petrol if the structural integrity is as good as Maruti claims it to be. People used to complain that Swift is a great car but cramped. here we get a bigger swift. A big-shout to Maruti to give ABS & Airbags as standard across all the variants. 'This' is called leading from the front.

Awaiating Team-BHP review for this one. The mid variant Xeta has almost everything I want but those head-lights (without DRLs) would look really bland and kill the overall looks. Hope Projector+DRLs is provided as an accessory for lower variants as well.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th October 2015 at 08:21.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:18   #518
Senior - BHPian

I think this is the new Swift. Just like how the Dzire ponders on in 'Tour' form, MSL are going to persist with this along-with the Swift

OT - was checking Olx, used Swift prizes are falling below the 2 lakh levels. Is this a precursor of things to come. The iPhone 6 which cost 50 thousand upwards is now retailing online for 36 thousand something just because there is plenty of stock with the dealers and the 6s is just round the corner. Is something like that going to happen to the Swift?
Old 14th October 2015, 08:19   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

From the initial reviews, The Baleno comes off like a very matured Swift to drive. Not a bad thing at all.

And glad to note the K12M feels fantastic on the car. So, hopefully MSIL has not tuned it for FE alone on this one. We really need some good petrol engines in the segment. And I cannot help but wonder how the 1.3 VGT would have felt had it made to the Baleno.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:34   #520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
And there is no way one can bring Abath Punto to table when talking about hatchbacks like Baleno and i20.

Baleno is a pathetic effort by Maruti. I wouldn't even give it a second look even if this car is being sold only by invitation. This car has no USP other than some creature comforts, I would have appreciated if this car had 6 airbags..
Ummm, I'm sorry but was I wrong in making the observation that there are now 5 hatchbacks in the market that retail for over 10 lakhs? There was no comparison between any of those cars mentioned. Perhaps you didn't understand the context.

I do agree with you on the Baleno though. It has no real USP other than some extra cabin room and a few features over the Swift. The VGT MJD would have been ideal but looks like it's just a pipe dream.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:01   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As reports are in, the 1.0L booster jet engine (110 HP)will be offered after the EU launch in 2016.This engine being imported will have a price tag of ~ 1.5 Lakhs more than its standard variant.

Are there any reports that the CVT box would be introduced to the higher variants (Zeta and/or Alpha) in the future, say after the European launch?

And what is the localisation levels of the CVT variant? Is that too at 98% (meaning the box is actually manufactured or assembled locally)?
Old 14th October 2015, 09:09   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Are there any reports that the CVT box would be introduced to the higher variants (Zeta and/or Alpha) in the future, say after the European launch?

And what is the localisation levels of the CVT variant? Is that too at 98% (meaning the box is actually manufactured or assembled locally)?
AFAIK, the CVT is imported and hence to be competitive it will come only in Delta variant.

What might come next year for us will be the SHVS variant in the Baleno for both petrol and diesel.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:16   #523
BHPian

Baleno has got everything to become the i20 of Maruti. Remember, for all the Maruti loyal customers (for reliability and peace of mind) who wants to upgrade from Swift has no option other then look out of Maruti stable. Baleno is the answer to them. And going by the sales of Swift all these years, one can easily imagine the customer base which is ready on the fence to grab this opportunity.

Hence, if Maruti do not mess up with pricing, they have a winner in hand.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:17   #524
BHPian

One of the reason I see people warming up to the car is that this is a first by Maruti in this segment. They have finally warmed up to the fact that a hatch which is priced aggressively(I am hoping it sticks to projected pricing) and loaded with features is need of the hour. They still go on to make a blunder by not offering a CVT with Atleast Zeta variant. While the highway characteristics of the car are a big question, it's absolutely no Brainer that CVT in stop go traffic loaded with features would have attracted a lot of buyers, not only as a first car but also as a second car for people with sedans. Delta variant is way too basic, Zeta priced similarly to jazz V would have made a huge dent in jazz sales.

Where in it might be interesting how a new buyer warms up to this car with likes of i20 and Jazz being already successful, a Maruti loyalist will lap this up. One major target would be existing swift owners they would love to upgrade and still have a Maruti.

To a more informed buyer this brings absolutely nothing new to the table and all the features are already available in the market at matching prices. The fact that first baleno was a flop the name itself can play a part in a decision.

Last edited by AtheK : 14th October 2015 at 09:22.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:18   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
They still go on to make a blunder by not offering a CVT with Atleast Zeta variant. While the highway characteristics of the car are a big question, it's absolutely no Brainer that CVT in stop go traffic loaded with features would have attracted a lot of buyers, not only as a first car but also as a second car for people with sedans. Delta variant is way too basic, Zeta priced similarly to jazz V would have made a huge dent in jazz sales.
I share your exact sentiment. MS are indeed making a mistake by restricting the CVT to Delta. I don't buy the cost factor that's being quoted around. The buyers in this segment will not mind spending that little extra for convenience - case in point is the Jazz CVT which is selling in respectable numbers despite being 1 lac dearer than the corresponding manua variant. The only reason that I can think of is the availability of the CVT box itself. MS already have a case with Celerio where they launched the AMT on the V model initially, and later went on to introduce it on the Z model as well. Even Tata did the same with Zest AMT. So I'm still optimistic that in a few more months Baleno will also see CVT in Zeta if not the Alpha variant.

Last edited by y2ksrs : 14th October 2015 at 10:19.
Closed Thread