Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th November 2015, 08:33   #1261
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Maruti is playing very dumb here. There is no point in doing such minor irritants for buyers.

Delta and Zeta have same tail lights. Attached is a side shot of Zeta which looks same as Delta so only Alpha gets dual white slats tail lights.
So it is confirmed that only the Alpha gets different set of lights among the variants.

While Maruti did inform about the headlamps, there was no mention about the difference of the tail lamps in the brochure. Even the sales team did not inform the customers about it. Maruti missed a chance to advertise one more feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Not sure if it is covered earlier, but full marks to Maruti for providing full wheel well cladding on all wheels unlike the latest trend of partial or cladding on all models (at least Delta onwards for sure)

The Delta is the most VFM variant considering all other creature comforts can be done aftermarket like - Alloys, fog lights, full transparent sunfilm on all windows (budget permitting as it would be the more expensive windshield ones), touchscreen ICE, chrome touches that too one of individual's their own choices with pick only what you like option.

Only thing one would lack is projector lights, main console graphics dances, push button start among major ones.
Delta is a VFM variant for sure. Some of the things provided in Zeta can be done outside but then the question of warranty arises.

Among the several features, the following are worth the additional 70K one has to spend:
  • MID with color TFT (this looks great)
  • Telescopic Steering
  • UV cut glass (good way to counter the sun film ban)
  • Auto Headlamps with follow me home (not necessary)
  • Height adjustable driver seat (this is a must)
  • Push start stop button with smart key (convenient but not a deal breaker)
  • Auto Dimming IRVM

While there are more differences between the Zeta and Delta, I have chosen just the ones that might not be possible to fit outside. A few of them do have aftermarket solutions but then the approximate cost will be close enough to what one would spend for getting all of these. Also if one goes for an extended warranty it makes sense to get from the factory itself.

By the way here is a workaround video of the sigma variant by GaadiWaadi

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th November 2015 at 11:07. Reason: Correcting [LIST] quotes.
SRK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:02   #1262

Default Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post

The sigma variant with the simplified front grille, looks nice too. Removing the chrome from the front grill of the higher variants would surely not look this good.
Old 5th November 2015, 12:13   #1263
BHPian

attached is the Accessories list along with price for the Baleno (as shared by Nexa Andheri, Mumbai). Would appreciate comments on the same

Description PRICE
Floor Matting 1790
Dicky Matting 790
Mud Flap 790
Steering Cover Premium Leather 1150
Body Cover Tyvek 2590
Body Cover 1090
Body Side Moulding 1790
Body Side Moulding Body Coloured 3090
Door Visor 1190
Arm Rest Baleno 3500
Seat Cover Art Leather 8490
Seat Cover Premium 12990
Seat Cover Feel Leather 31000
Child Seat 5990
Nexa Baleno Accessories Price List w.e.f 01.11.2015
Garmin Navigation 4" Screen 9490
Garmin Navigation 5" Screen 10990
Head Up Display Navigation 14990
Garmin Navigation 5" Screen with BT 17990
Reverse Parking Sensor with Camera LCD Display 11990
Reverse Parking Sensor with Camera & Without Sensor 8490
Rear Seat Entertainment System (Headrest Tablet DVD) Per
Piece 11990
Rear Seat Entertainment System (Android Tab) Per Piece 20990
Auto Diming IRVM 6490
Component Speaker with Spacer (Hertz) Front 6490
Coax Speaker 210 W with Spacer (Hertz) Rear 3990
Amplifier Channel 1500W 26590
Amplifier 2 Channel 400 W 11190
Amplifier Wiring Kit 1000
Sony Touch Screen BT 7inc 35000
Kenwood Touch Screen with Camera without BT 19990
JVC Touch Screen with Camera without BT 19990
Sony Touch Screen with BT 18990
Alloy Wheel 04 pcs Exchange 23600
Mobile Fast Charger 1490
Fog Lamp 4500
Airfreshner 349
God Idol 290
Tissue Box 550
Airinflator 1990
Cool Box (Car refrigerator) 6990
Premium Back Cushion 990
Premium Neck Cushion 860
Sporty Pedal 295
Tubless Tyrer Repait Kit 399
Acrylic Paint Sealant (Carplan) 3851
Antirust Treatment Transperant (Carplan) 3610
Engine Coating 1890
Lamination 5000

Service Charge Extra 14% for Labour Operation
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Baleno Accessories Price List as on 01.11.2015.pdf (90.7 KB, 77609 views)
abhik897 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 13:25   #1264
BHPian

Popped into the Lower Parel nexa outlet at 11 am on a Thursday. It was a feeding frenzy. I couldn't get a word in. The S-Cross looked forlorn and everyone there was booking the Baleno. This one is a winner.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:01   #1265

With the same engine as swift, longer wheelbase and about 100 kgs lighter - Baleno is going to be much more fun to drive! Add to that 339 lts boot space and upgrades in equipment and tyres, Baleno is sure to take the crown from Swift!
Old 5th November 2015, 14:54   #1266

Baleno vs other cars
All those who have given a test drive of the new Suzuki Baleno (Petrol ), and have ever driven the Polo (Petrol 1.2), How does the new car from Suzuki fare with the VW Polo (1.2)?
Some of the Magazine reviews have compared it with i20 or Jazz (but not Polo), and most of the other sites have just a spec to spec comparison with Polo. (which is of no real use). Looking at factors like safety, dynamics, stability, body roll, and ease of driving in bumper to bumper traffic in Indian conditions, how will Baleno stand up to VW Polo?
Old 5th November 2015, 15:22   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Baleno has achieved a sales figure of 4229 nos in Oct 2015, within 6 days of launch. Incredible feat !!
I guess, its the primary sale number.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:07   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Baleno has achieved a sales figure of 4229 nos in Oct 2015, within 6 days of launch. Incredible feat !!
I guess, its the primary sale number.
The numbers in the sales thread, aren't those Factory Gate to Dealer shipment numbers? I don't think they are actual retail sales numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:29   #1269
BHPian

OEM-wise wholesale numbers are always reported in the automobile industry. These reported figures are primary sales figures of factory billing to dealers. So this is bound to be high for new launches with a lot of stock getting pumped to the dealers.
dtox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 17:05   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The numbers in the sales thread, aren't those Factory Gate to Dealer shipment numbers? I don't think they are actual retail sales numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Like I guessed, its the primary sales.
Secondary sales would be a lot less.
However, in Nov 2015 Baleno should be around 5k mark.
Old 5th November 2015, 17:28   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
However, in Nov 2015 Baleno should be around 5k mark.
For first few months at least, sells of Baleno will depend on how much they will be able to supply. Its in huge demand and already waiting period is gone more than 2-3 months. So whatever they will be able to produce, those will sell like hot cakes. I guess with limited numbers of Nexa showrooms, we can see Baleno selling around 10-12 K per month in next few months, provided maruti is able to produce that mush
Old 6th November 2015, 11:01   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

With paying multiple visits to 2 NEXA's (Madhapur & Jubilee Hills), it took us around 40 minutes to get a Diesel TD vehicle. Both the showrooms were looking like the regular Maruti showrooms with people swarming in & out. There was no place to sit or even RM's weren't free and the only chair that was spared was the Manager's cabin one. Too many people to handle.

IMO, Maruti has given NEXA a Jackpot in the form of Baleno! The same showroom never has the same thrust/enthusiasm when it had S-Cross only in its display bay. Now people are coming and asking for TD's and issuing the booking amount. The number of people who convert to S-Cross too exist there but may be only 10% of them upgrade.

With couple of calls made to the respective dealers 3 of us went for the TD of the Baleno. With the TD vehicle allotted to us at 16:30, I was the one who took the TD this time as my other two companions had multiple TD's earlier and were precisely waiting for my opinion. I took an approximate of 20 minutes - 10 kms TD in peak traffic + broken roads + smooth tarmac.

One word to describe the Baleno in the DDiS avatar: GREAT!

Mini Review:

Looks & Styling

Sharp, clean and less crowded are some words that come to my mind when I see the Baleno. Upfront, it looks like a mildly-redesigned Swift thanks to the similar looking headlamps. The small 'v-shaped' front grille along with the chrome lining draws attention plus that black eyelid on the top of the headlamp makes it look as if the eyes are half-open (Dreamy eyes). Two strong creases come from the top of the hood and continue to take the same shape as the V-grille. I would have preferred a slightly wider lower air-dam with the fog lamps extending to the extreme sides of the car rather than being at the more-towards the centre.

The rear and sides get the size of the car when viewed directly thanks to the wider plus lower stance. Sharp raking rear screen plus that chrome garnish give that a secondary-spoiler look. Any rear-ending buy a bus/lorry will fetch heavy repair bills as there is no "bumper" in the car! It is in straight line with the rear-hatch door. With least badging the rear is free and clean to view. Thanks that the variant + ABS stickers are existing in this car as compared to my Swift. We Team-BHPians now have some place to think for best placement of our Stickers.

My Rating: 8/10
__________________________________________________ _____________

Engine & Gearbox

Engine: With the same engine underneath the car I drive ( Ritz VDi & Swift ZDi), I could relate much more easier. Thanks to lighter weighing Baleno, the acceleration and the urge is noticed when the pedal is pressed be it in any gear (Felt it having lesser turbo lag as compared to Swift) but with over 1.7L kms on this engine, my feet + hands + mind is trained in such a way that the turbo lag isn't felt much and usage of the gearing is made appropriate so that the car is in steam most of times.

Have made a small specifications comparison between the Swift & Baleno:

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-baleno-specs.jpg

Quote:
Inserting these figures in the QUOTE so it is visible.

Power to Weight Ratio:

Petrol:
Baleno Alpha: 94 PS/Ton
Swift ZXi: 87 PS/Ton

Diesel:
Baleno Alpha: 76 PS/Ton
Swift ZDi: 71 PS/Ton

Torque to Weight Ratio:

Petrol:
Baleno Alpha: 129 Nm/Ton
Swift ZXi: 119 Nm/Ton

Diesel:
Baleno Alpha: 192 Nm/Ton
Swift ZDi: 181 Nm/Ton
Looking at the above figures, the acceleration, urgency and cruisability is undoubtfully good. I got 80 kmph in 5th gear @ 1800-1850 RPM and 100 kmph could be around 2000 RPM. That is excellent as the Swift does 80 kmph @ ~2000 RPM and 100 kmph @ 2300 RPM.

With an average reduction of 200 RPM spinning clubbed with lower weight the Baleno does have a lively feel.

But my only grouse is the 75PS engine is now getting a bit too long in the tooth. Maruti should get something different or atleast put the VGT motor in the Baleno (90PS version) to excite stuff.

My Rating: 9/10

5-Speed MT: Feels slightly notchy but will have to see after the car clocks miles as the TD has only 500 kms on its odometer so I feel things will get better as miles clock. Well-defined gates and is slotting but gears like 1st primarily needs slight effort to get in correctly. L-size gear lever feels nice and premium to hold with my hand taking the contours well.

My Rating: 8/10
__________________________________________________ _____________

Cabin Space & Comfort

The biggest change I noticed when compared to the Swift. I was like WOW with the space be it at the front or at the rear or even the boot. With an increase in wheelbase of 90 mm, the extra figure is noticed clearly when inside the Baleno. There is no sense of cramped-ness or tight feeling except for the XXL-Size fron headrests. I'd get the Swift headrest and plonk it in the Baleno for better rear-view ability. Boot space is also at decent for the size of the car but the thing that spoils the fun is the narrow and high-loading lip making it difficult to get large bags into the boot. Armrest that is provided in the car is set too much at the extreme end. For my comfortable position, I was barely able to rest my elbow on the armrest when the gear level was at 1st gear or 3rd gear or 5th gear. Another minus for me!

During the TD and before when waiting for my turn, I had noticed one thing funny and peculiar is that the rear end sags down when 2 people are seated at the rear. I was puzzled seeing the softness of the suspension and would be another Elite i20 to drive around thanks to the suspension BUT I was mighty surprised when I got behind the wheel. That softness and sag just isn't noticeable when on the move. It feels slightly hard and tight around corners and especially when the car is fully loaded. I can only imagine how good the handling would be when the car has only one occupant. There is no bone-jarring jolts or vibrations from the car be it when seated anywhere. Great tuning of the suspension components to make it work in unison all the time.

The only negative thing that I could perceive as compared to Swift is the lack of under-thigh support in the rear seat of the Baleno. Lack is an understatement. Every time I braked hard both the rear occupants were thrown forward which IMO isn't good for a premium car! I guess they shortened the seat length to liberate more space in the car.

My Rating:

Space: 10/10
Comfort: 8/10

Build:

Well-built with tight shut lines and lesser panel gaps, the view in most angles gives a cleaner look. Some parts are shared with its siblings but that isn't much of an issue as it does the job very well.

Some parts like the door pad, central console from the gear lever to the handbrake shakes when moved by hand. The height-adjuster handle too wasn't fit well. Hope that these issues don't filter-into production variants.

My Rating: 7.5/ 10

VERDICT:

I'm happy for two things:

1) For NEXA
2) The car

This car will get people entering into the showrooms and enquiring about the car which will directly publicize the NEXA concept and also the car will be booked by many. IMO a great decision by Maruti to let the Baleno sell through NEXA rather than the already-crowded regular showrooms.

If the individual is looking at an upgrade from A-segment for a more premium feel and ownership then this is the car to look at even though the Elite feels more premium inside (As told by forum members), the VFM nature of the Baleno trumps the card in favour.

Features, Space, FE, driveability, Looks are all a positive for this car with the main one being Pricing over its competitors, Maruti has done it again. All that they now have to sort out is production of the Baleno to keep the interest burning in customers plsu to invite more of prospective buyers.

My Overall Rating for the Car: 9/10.

A few interior shots:

Smart Key:
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-smart-key.jpg

Central Console:
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-central-console.jpg

Instrumentation Console (Love the Power & Torque pie graphs)
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-instrumentation-console.jpg

Handbrake area:
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-handbrakegear.jpg

Start/Stop button and A/C Vent:
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-start-stop.jpg

Steering Controls:
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-steering-controls.jpg

SmartPlay when reverse engaged (MID gives out beeps):
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-info-sys-reverse-cam.jpg

Rear parking sensors are giving out data on the MID where the rear parking camera gives out data on the SmartPlay system.

PS: Last but not the least, thanks to RM Aslam of NEXA VARUN and BHPian Madhav14 for accompanying me to the TD.
a4anurag is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 11:29   #1273
BHPian

I checked out the Baleno at a nearing NEXA showroom and was pleasantly surprised with the product. I would say the interiors are almost at par with the new Jazz. ( Jazz interior has gone a notch below compared to previous gen, and Maruti has come up ). This feels like a bigger and evolved SWIFT which isn't a bad thing. The seats were very comfy on the front. This is coming from someone whose daily drive is a Generation 3 Honda City.

Ok the build didn't feel that solid like a VW or My City. One should reaslise that this is a car that they are selling at an x price and for that price it offers a lot. It would have been sold under Maruti and not Nexa had Scross not fared so bad. To keep the Nexa brand alive they had to shove it into the Nexa showrooms.

Only negative i feel is the smaller bench on the rear. It is compromising under thight support big time. I have no clue as to why Maruti did it. Couple of inches more of seating and the car would still have more than enough leg room and would be near perfect at its pricepoint. I can bet that that would make this car a lot more comfortable on highway drives as well for the rear passengers.

A hatch does not need to have a leg space of a C+ segment car. I am actually wondering if its possible to address this in the aftermarket by cushioning or padded seat covers.
Old 6th November 2015, 12:20   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post

The walkaround video of Sigma Baleno shows the driver side having four power window switches, so would that mean two are dummy?
Old 6th November 2015, 14:42   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Looking at the above figures, the acceleration, urgency and cruisability is undoubtfully good. I got 80 kmph in 5th gear @ 1800-1850 RPM and 100 kmph could be around 2000 RPM. That is excellent as the Swift does 80 kmph @ ~2000 RPM and 100 kmph @ 2300 RPM.

With an average reduction of 200 RPM spinning clubbed with lower weight the Baleno does have a lively feel.
Anurag, you feel the gear ratios have changed? By any chance, do you have the new gear ratios?

I feel, they could have introduced a 6th gear instead.
Closed Thread