Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd September 2015, 16:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A majority of the market believes that the other options - most of them more expensive - are better. Even as an enthusiast, I think the Vento diesel is a superior sedan to the Fiesta diesel, and the Honda City Petrol / Linea T-Jet are superior to the Fiesta petrol. It was a decent sedan, but 'incredible' isn't a term I'd use for the Fiesta.
That is very much debatable buddy and am talking from ownership of both the Vento TDi (42,000 kms) and Fiesta TDCi (15,000 kms).
The Vento diesel is far far away from an enthusiast car, all this car has is straight line fire power which can shame cars from a class above but that is where the enthusiasm ends. Show the VW a series of undulations and the rear is all over the place, corners are not its forte though it still remains balanced for the most part with a lot of understeer on the limits, steering is a typical VW EPS - dead and the brakes are short of stopping power for the torque on offer.

I found the Swift to be a much much better handler than Polo with a better steering on offer, i had bought the Vento expecting it to give me one of the best ride/handling and fun to drive quotient which is expected from German cars but it disappointed me a lot, it is a good family sedan but i wanted more considering i sacrificed resale, reliability, service and have to deal with VW crooks every year during service, that the Vento has tons of reliability issues is another problem.

T-Jet is much better than Fiesta petrol but Volkswagen is still far away from making enthusiast cars, atleast till 14-15L budget, even the performance oriented GT variants of Polo carry the same stupid soft suspension set up and VW does not even care. The market does not agree with me but this Indian market never really gave preference to driver oriented cars. Even in the luxury segment, BMW which makes most fun to drive cars is lagging behind

Last edited by coolboy007 : 3rd September 2015 at 16:53.
coolboy007 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

The Ertiga is at least a better choice when I compare with mine, I had sold the 1.6S for a Jazz!

The Jazz lasted for exactly an year and it was quickly replaced by another 1.6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Every time I see a Fiesta 1.6S, I feel really bad for exchanging my Fiesta for an Ertiga.
Something terrible went through my mind and I changed the car.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A majority of the market believes that the other options - most of them more expensive - are better. Even as an enthusiast, I think the Vento diesel is a superior sedan to the Fiesta diesel, and the Honda City Petrol / Linea T-Jet are superior to the Fiesta petrol. It was a decent sedan, but 'incredible' isn't a term I'd use for the Fiesta.
Well I own a City Ivtec but I found the Fiesta a lot better. Not just me,even my far from petrol head family thought so. I agree that the Ivtec is a better motor but the ford's just a better car. Tjet is something else though.
Also,the Vento diesel is a very good all rounder but it's service is pathetic and it's spares are priced a couple of segments above other car's.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

This was expected, isn't it? New Fiesta was not only flop but it was a super duper flop in Indian market, we need to accept it. Last 3 months sales numbers where less than 50, that too including classic and new fiesta. Only Ford knows how much new Fiesta they actually sold. That is way too low number to run a business. No manufacturer will be able to run company with such numbers, it will just get you losses only. Not sure why Ford stopped Figo before new one is launched. Current Figo was a good car & they should have done better than this.

Hope Ford will bring us new cars now which users will like.
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I will tell you this.
Apart from a few lac people on various auto forums, people wouldn't touch a fiesta or a classic with a barge-pole. And the majority of people who bought the figo bought it NOT for its handling.

It's explained here, and we know it, but when someone is choosing an 8 lac sedan, they do not buy a ford. Ive seen at least 30 new cars being bought in the past 3-4 years in my immediate circle, and fords did not even figure in any standing!
Personally know a number of buyers who went for Classic simply for its being VFM. Fiesta perhaps was so little known that it attracted only informed buyers.

Its a harsh fact that in sedan segment, brand Ford is stacked along with GM, Renault, Mahindra & Tata rather than Honda, Suzuki, Hyundai & VW. Sales team is conscious of it and will have drooped shoulders while dealing with sedan prospect. Hardly surprising that Fiesta was not selling. Even Aspire is not so well received despite all its positives.

By the way, all the three cars still are being displayed on the website of Ford India, which may be purely due to inertia. Figo & Classinc are indeed discontinued as dealers have stopped accepting booking. If Fiesta too has been discontinued, it will be interesting to watch if Ford brings in a replacement for it.

Last edited by rsm97 : 3rd September 2015 at 19:03.
rsm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:39   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Expecting Ford to launch products from their global catalog will probably stay a pipe-dream. As much as we love claiming our market has matured, the situation on the ground begs to differ (barring a few exceptions).

The majority still buys 'what the neighbor has/what relatives have/what XYZ recommends/what gives me most KMPL/<insert reasoning of your choice here>'. Nothing wrong with it as the person paying hard-earned money is definitely entitled to their choice of purchase, but it grates on the enthusiast's nerves because 'fun-to-drive cars' will always be sales duds in India, more often than not.

The only respite for enthusiasts is to take an occasional trip to a matured automotive market and rent their favorite car.

I recently drove a Fusion sedan in/around Boston on a work trip. 2L Ecoboost Petrol, 230+ BHP, DCT autobox with paddle shifters and tracks like it's on rails (no point mentioning the creature comforts on offer, who cares really!). Looks like a million bucks and GOES LIKE TWO! I was the whole week I had it.

P.S. Blasphemy for enthusiasts but for the 'kitna deti hai?' crowd, the car returned 18+ KMPL overall.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd September 2015 at 20:00.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:41   #67
BHPian

Its hurting to hear such news and very much glad that i own this Machine - Fiesta Classic in which i have clocked 100,000 kms and the journey still continues with a big Smile.

Two days earlier i visited a ford dealer at Chennai to check on the Figo Aspire and since it was a Sunday noon TD vehicle wasn't available.It was good to see many people lining up in the showroom to check on the new Aspire (and even few booked it) and whoever checked the Aspire turned their head to the Stunning Machine - Fiesta 2014 (Definitely a Head-turner) which was seated next to it and few customers do checked about the fiesta and was wondering why they werent aware of this Machine!

R.I.P Figo/Classic/Fiesta! May be a new avatar of these would evolve in coming years.
Johnnny is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:07   #68
BHPian

The 'enthusiasts' talk about handling, steering, etc. Fair enough, point taken.

But what about the poor 'non-enthusiast'? Fortunately or unfortunately, they constitute the majority and mainly drive in the cities, where great handling and steering don't matter. In fact, other cars might actually fare better in the city. What people want would be plush interiors and features that make you feel good and rich when you 'sit' inside, and not just drive it. I know that looks are subjective, but what do you see when you enter a Figo? This:
Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-fordfigofaceliftdiesel21.jpg

And Fiesta? This :
Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-ford_fiesta_classic4.jpg

This would have passed off 5 years ago, but not today. Only Maruti can get away with such interiors and dashboard. Even the humble i10 fares better. The grand i10 feels outstanding. I'm trying to match the same price bands here.

Sorry, but I shed no tears. Times have changed, and Ford needs to move on too.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:21   #69
BHPian

I am a proud owner of 2012 Figo. I agree Ford's decision to discontinue both Classic and Figo models. But I am totally disappointed on their decision to discontinue a wonderful product like Fiesta. I don't know Ford's exact strategy on this decision, but as an enthusiastic driver I always wanted to have the Fiesta. Because I still love that car's looks and great driving dynamics, in fact I was eagerly waiting to see for Diwali Discounts on Fiesta. But I never expected that I should be writing this message on this thread.

Shame on Ford. Along with these 3 models they should also discontinue their Marketing Strategic team (if exists) and come up with a better team with better ideas in future to promote some good products effectively rather than killing them with their own hands....definitely RIP..... Fiesta
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:23   #70
BHPian

The Classic is made for India car, so is the Figo. The Fiesta on the other hand is a global car that was given to INDIA half heartedly

The strategy for the first two is clear, no more local cars only global. Fiesta was a half hearted attempt and remains so till today(only on marketing side though)

I bought the Fiesta today(sold off the classic ) knowing all about production plan. People may say i am foolish, but have my own reason why i bought this car

The sales manager was saying today to me that converting a Maruti customer to Ford is very tough, but Ford customers and other brand owners tend to understand why they should buy a Ford Car

So the days are slowly moving towards people trying to buy car for other aspects than just for being in larger group of buyers

RIP cars that enticed the buyer who just loved driving
Self Driven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
The 'enthusiasts' talk about handling, steering, etc. Fair enough, point taken.
------snip------

And Fiesta? This :
Attachment 1410308
Is this the classic?
Actually, in the 1.6 sxi, with the beige leather seats and perforated leather door inserts,with the stitched leather steering wheel, and a good hu, it's one of the most plush cabins this side of 10l. Not showy, but plush.
The centre console and the lower half of the dash ,is beige as well.Ididn't notice that the whole of the interior in the classic was black.

Last edited by mayankk : 3rd September 2015 at 22:45.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:56   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the classic?
Actually, in the 1.6 sxi, with the beige leather seats and perforated leather door inserts,with the stitched leather steering wheel, and a good hu, it's one of the most plush cabins this side of 10l. Not showy, but plush.
The centre console and the lower half of the dash ,is beige as well.Ididn't notice that the whole of the interior in the classic was black.
The interiors of the Classic Titanium carry a black and beige theme. I will share a picture tomorrow. Most probably, the Classic's interior is inspired from that of the SXI's. But no, it has no leather inserts on the doors. They have fabric inserts. No leather stitched steering as well. :(

I will surely share the pic tomorrow.

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 3rd September 2015 at 23:00.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:38   #73
BHPian

A legend needs to be sent off with respect.
The legend Fiesta (Classic) 1.6 deserves it. The last old school driver's car with hydraulic steering, high revving yet torquey big NA motor (as opposed to puny 1.2s), sport car like handling etc. Marks the end of an era, the golden era.
Thanks for all the sweet memories and grins.

Same goes for the Figo minus the engine. That car was the best handling hatchback IMO.
Before I drove it, I had never thought that I could have so much fun in a car with such a tame engine. Perfect steering, extremely eager to change direction, low seating and hardly any body roll. All that matched with practicality and great VFM. These two gems will definitely be missed by me.

I guess FIAT will be the last one to offer hydraulic steering in India with Linea and Punto. I guess these two will be the last true driver oriented cars to be sold in India accessible to (upper)middle class. I'm sure the next FIATs too will be watered down like the new Fords (barring the new Fiesta).

Time to draw the cheque books out gentlemen or you'll be repenting 30-40 years down the line!
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 01:00   #74
BHPian

Hope you guys do not mind posting a picture of my 'Aspire'.

Ford discontinues production of Figo, Classic & Fiesta-017.jpg

That is what the aam junta will ultimately identify it as.
Porschefire is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 01:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Could you justify it a bit more? What do you mean by "terrible drop in quality and kit"? I have spent time with both of these cars. Agreed, the cabin was a better place to be in the old Fiesta. What else? Have you checked out the Titanium trim yet? We paid 7.6 lakhs INR in May for our Classic 1.6 Titanium. What more can we expect from that price?

Is it still worthy to be called outdated? It is a really well-thought out car. Just because it was a decade years old did not necessarily mean that it was outdated.

Note: I am not biased. All my views are neutral.

Cheers,
Neel
Not sure what amount of justification is needed to change your opinion but the Classic is a terribly outdated car inside out. And almost all of those features you've mentioned are pretty basic ones that most of the 5-7lakhs hatchbacks of today have in their list. The interiors of the SXI is leaps and bounds ahead of the Classic's interior both in looks and quality of materials used. I own a Figo for close to 5 years now and my close friend has an SXI so I have first hand experience with both. And what more can you expect for 7.6? Just check out the Zest, the Aspire from Ford themselves, the Elite i20 etc. to name some. I'm talking about better overall package. I'm not ignoring the fact that it's one of the best handling cars this side of 10 lakhs, but that doesn't absolve it from being a terribly outdated product amongst the current crop of cars.

Quote:
Is this the classic?
The difference in interior quality and looks is huge between the SXI and the Classic. The latter basically is a Fiesta shell with a Figo cabin.
jayded is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote