Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2006, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The all new Indica Vista (V3). Launch on 23rd August!

I received my subscriber's copy of Overdrive September issue yesterday.
It contains a two page article on the all-new Indica V3 that is scheduled to come out in 2007.

Unfortunately, the article is not available on the OD web site and hence I can't provide the link. So you'll have to make do with my comments.

There are two spy pics of a heavily disguised prototype which was caught testing on Pune roads. From the looks of the vehicle in the spy pics, it looks more like a pre-prototype, what with the cavities for headlamp and tail light assemblies being fitted with parts from other Tata vehicles. The headlight slots were fitted with what looked like Sumo SE's squarish headlamps and hence the slots were some 70% empty. The slots for the tail light clusters were fitted with the lower portion of Marina's tail lights. The new car will continue to have tall, christmas-tree type lights a la the original Indica. According to the article, Tata Motors is still undecided about whether to have a one-piece tail-light assembly or a two-piece one like in the current Marina.

The new Indica is a bigger car with a longer wheelbase and incorporates some of the style elements of the Indiva concept vehicle that Tata has been exhibiting at various autoshows for some time now. It is also supposed to be better built and finished than the current Indica, with the European market having been kept in mind right from the design stage. The car will comply with the latest European frontal impact and crash survival regulations.

According to the OD report, Indica V3 (as the new car will be called) shall be fitted with FIAT 1.3 Multijet engine. The current Indica V2 will not be discontinued but would instead be offered with a Dicorised version of the local 1.4 engine. Naturally, the new Indica would be more expensive than the current one.

It's really difficult to comment on the new car's looks since the car in the spy pics was heavily disguised. But yes, it did look bigger than the current one. Somehow, I did not like the wheels which seemed to be borrowed from the current Indica and looked puny on the bigger-bodied car.

May be the team-bhp members from Pune can provide us with better spy pics!

Last edited by directinjection : 6th September 2006 at 17:37.
Old 6th September 2006, 19:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats excellent news! I was expecting it to be more like late 2008/early 2009. That means they might postpone the X2 generation UVs. Hope they correct all things that were wrong/lacking in the current one. Tata may be targetting the overseas market more with this one, while the Indica(current one) will cater to the domestic market.

Last edited by sajo : 6th September 2006 at 19:57.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Actually I had heard there would be a revamped Indigo version as well.Any news on that front.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
According to the OD report, Indica V3 (as the new car will be called) shall be fitted with FIAT 1.3 Multijet engine.
What will happen to Fiat then? In-house competition, huh?

Anyways, Tata will rock if it gets rid of those ridiculous faults in its engine.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
What will happen to Fiat then? In-house competition, huh?

Anyways, Tata will rock if it gets rid of those ridiculous faults in its engine.

Actuallt i hear even maruti and gm too are going to use the same fiat 1.3 diesel engine
Old 6th September 2006, 20:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is a sad twist to this too, Tata's are in a way admitting that they were hopeless in all their engines before DICOR. No wonder they do everything hush-hush...I was actually embarassed when Jeremy Clarkson in 'Top Gear' was debating on choosing Tata Indica export as the worst car in UK circa 2003 or 2004 (I don't remember exactly which year that joker did that in). Ohh that pompous and arrogant British snob #*$#$
Old 6th September 2006, 23:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hmm DICOR 1.4 in old indica and multijet in new one!
It will be an interesting situation if the indica V2 gets a more powerful engine than the new one.
Old 7th September 2006, 00:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tata Is Ur Listening ---please Come Out With A More Radical Design...dont Keep Playing It Safe...look At Swift Bhai.....learn Something.......
Old 7th September 2006, 01:35   #9
BHPian

Or is it a Fiat with a Tata badge???
Old 7th September 2006, 12:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that Tata-Fiat combine will now get rid of Palio and will try and bring in Indica V3 as a car in that price range. Tata will have their 1 lakh car at the lowest end, Indica V2 and V3 will cater to the Indica-Palio range and they will have Fiat Punto in the range which is just higher than Indica V3.

The fact that Fiat is now shifting base to Ranjangaon also gives impetus to my guess. I also think that Indica V3 will be manufactured in the Ranjangaon facility.
Old 7th September 2006, 14:33   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If its coming earlier than expected, most welcome! I just hope they do not have too many initial gremlins, like the first gen indica.

I do hope that:

1. Tata do NOT use christmas tree lights at the rear. They are so yesterday, and most car design studios have stopped using these lights since a decade.

2. Tata has learnt how to really make cars from the Indica platform...not the Safari or the Sumo. I expect the new Indica to be much better in terms of fit and finish.

3. Rubbing off some of that magic Fiat lotion from their recent alliance with the Italian car maker.

More space, an expectedly good design, a great diesel, superb ride quality and a well-priced package. Another market shakeup?

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2006 at 14:35.
Old 7th September 2006, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree and feel same what deepakhon has guessed, thats the good deal in terms of 50:50 joint venture goes between TATA and FIAT, If they launch the products in time with aggressive advertisements I am sure they can tough 30+% or more of market share in couple of years. Fiat just need one good year in terms of sale and service to win hearts of Indians. It don't matter in big screen/picture If they do alone or with joint venture like TATA.
Old 7th September 2006, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Hmm DICOR 1.4 in old indica and multijet in new one!
It will be an interesting situation if the indica V2 gets a more powerful engine than the new one.
As per reports, there are two versions of the 1.4 DICOR-an 8 valve version developing 70 BHP and targetted at Indica (already available in export models) and another dual cam 16 valve version developing 90 BHP, probably meant for Indigo/Marina and export Indicas. After the tie up with FIAT, probably all export models will get the multijet.

That way, even 1.3 Multijet has two versions, developing 70-72 BHP and 90 BHP respectively, the latter powered by a variable-geometry turbo.
Old 7th September 2006, 15:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye
Or is it a Fiat with a Tata badge???
It is definitely not a Fiat with Tata badge. Work on the new Indica V3 began way back in 2004, much before the tie up with FIAT. Tata had signed a fresh agreement with IDEA for doing the styling for the new Indica.
Old 7th September 2006, 15:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess, it will look similar to the new Indigo. I saw some advt. in news paper yesterday about new Indigo. It looks definitely better than current at least in front. The smily chrome grill is now replaced with more Fiesta'ish trapezoidal one. And yes, saw really good OEM alloys for the first time on a Tata car. The tail end again looks marginally better in the pics. They claim they have updated interiors as well.

Yet to see it on the road though.

Last edited by RX135 : 7th September 2006 at 15:42.
Closed Thread