Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th October 2015, 13:10   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
... but in pure off-road capability, are you saying that they were superior to the Thar? So they can go where a Thar would struggle?
Yes. The Thar does most of its work with sheer power, and nowadays with lockers. The old Jeeps, with none of these found things easier than the Thar.
Quote:
- To clarify, in your experience, is the Gypsy superior to the Thar or at the same level, in off-road ability?
Except for the fact that the Thar has better crawl control, I'd rate gypsy better in all kinds of slush offroading.
Quote:
- If I may, in your opinion, is Thar even a proper 4 x 4?
A Thar fulfills 100% of what a first time offroader needs.
Quote:
- Maybe off topic, but do you think any of us will be making this video about the Thar a couple of decades down?
The Thar in todays market is utmost a compromise.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 02:47   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes. The Thar does most of its work with sheer power, and nowadays with lockers. The old Jeeps, with none of these found things easier than the Thar.

Except for the fact that the Thar has better crawl control, I'd rate gypsy better in all kinds of slush offroading.

A Thar fulfills 100% of what a first time offroader needs.

The Thar in todays market is utmost a compromise.
In my mind, a true off-roader needs to have the following as a minimum requirement:
1. the ability to perform reasonably, off-road. (I know, duh!).
2. should be built to last. Components should not break under the stresses & pressures imposed by the terrain.
3. if something fails, it should be easy to repair, so that one has a lesser likelihood of being stranded in the locales an off-road vehicle should expect itself to be faced with.

I think with automotive technology being where it is, 1. is a relatively easily fulfilled ask, and should be considered hygiene.

Since no. 1. can be reasonably assumed to be a given today in any current off-road vehicle, no. 2. becomes key, since being faced with a broken component that leaves you stranded in the typical off-road locales can be a matter of life & death. No. 3 is something that I don't think one can expect with all the complexity in today's vehicles, and is a reasonable tradeoff, in my mind, for the additional reliability & comfort that today's vehicles provide.

Unfortunately, from the collective experiences of the group, it does not seem like the Thar meets any of the 3 requirements listed above: seems like the off-road performance is just about ok, components break & fail all the time, and no. 3 is moot in context of not meeting no. 2.

So, it seems like one would buy a Thar only for the looks or as a lifestyle statement, for use as a softroader, OR, if we are being generous, for use in off-road events. Please note, I mention off-road events instead of use in real off-road situations, because events provide a safety blanket where, say, your suspension breaking simply means calling a rescue crane, and not a life & death situation in inhospitable terrain.

Does my reading of the Thar seem accurate? Would be great if owners with experience with their vehicles could weigh in.

Last edited by bosporus : 12th October 2015 at 02:49.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 19:41   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Noob Query

How practical and safe is the soft top canopy?

The way I see it, the canopy can be closed only with velcro and zippers, which anyone can open anywhere! I don't think I can keep my grocery shopping bag or my laptop bag in the back of my Thar and expect it to be there when I get back an hour later..!? Is there a way to solve this, without having to go for a hardtop?

I don't think the Thar can be a daily driver till this issue is sorted out. At 9+ lac INR on road, it is just too expensive a toy for the common man still.
Quote:
Does my reading of the Thar seem accurate? Would be great if owners with experience with their vehicles could weigh in.
If you have to ask yourself these questions, then the Thar is probabaly not for you.

For the majority of it's customers, it's a vehicle bought from the heart. Since I was a child, the Army MM540's used to make my mouth water. And when the plug was pulled on it many years ago, I lost all hope. I bought a Thar CRDe in 2011 and used it for nearly 3 years and 60000 kilometers. It was was not a daily driver but it was my only car. Hugely impractical, and may not even be worth the money. But that's your head talking, not your heart. I did endless kilometers of trails, highways and beaches. From Dhanushkodi to Goa. I saw so many new places, places I wouldn't have normally gone to. With my not so hardcore use, I never got myself stuck anywhere and it always put a smile on my face - both on and off road. It was relaible and I never had any unexpected breakdowns. I could never drive it over 100kmph because the canopy would flap so loud, but it never bothered me. I never fitted a music system in it because of the worry of theft, but I never missed the music system anyway after a while. Yes it's shoddily put together, and there are cars with far better built quality for the price. The list of cons is far more than the pros. If you were to look at it with logic, it will never make sense.

Sorry for the long post, but my advice to anyone who is considering buying a Thar: If you're already comparing, don't buy one. If you really NEED a Jeep, the Thar DI is available. If you want something fun for the weekend, there are a couple of options at around this price. If you really WANT a Thar CRDe, then you should buy one. I bought one because I really wanted one. Despite all the negative feedback it had surrounding it. I let it go for something that made alot more sense to my head. But for some reason, I miss my Thar A LOT.

Would I buy another one given the opportunity? 100% YES.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 02:20   #154
BHPian

So after having a few cars in the family, a Nano, Palio, Wagon R (all sold), Punto and a Figo between Dad, elder brother and myself, the little brother (who's not so little anymore ) goes and does something we had only dreamed of. Welcome the Thar, or in his words, Ananya a.k.a Noor, to the family. Here's a simple narrative from the man himself.

Quote:
Meet Ananya a.k.a Noor

I always wanted a SUV. Yes.. That’s what I always dreamt of as my car. It had to be. Those brilliant commercials from the Tata stable always left me jaw-dropped.

When a Tata Sierra used to step out of its shed all by itself, I used to feel excited. When that Sierra used to dress itself up in slush and mud, I used to feel excited.

And then Tata launched Safari. Now, that was THE SUV. Although the first generation had a sluggish petrol engine, its sheer size used to steal hearts.

Yes, there were always others who later became “classics”. The MM540 never inspired me as much. Because my encounters with it were always in tourist and pilgrim centres. And being a school-going kid, I was always made to sit with the gear lever slotted between my legs (LOL). I never quite liked the experience. The ride was shaky, noisy. The cabin itself used to feel like an oven.

Then came “Armada”. Mahindra had now built their first uber-looking SUV. But, hey! It was all closed. And I always related it to government vehicles. Meanwhile, Tata came out with mind-blowing (or mind-blasting?) TV commercials showcasing Tata Safari Dicor. My heart skipped a beat when I first saw the “Reclaim Your Life” commercial. That was what an SUV was supposed to project – an image of freedom.

As more makers stepped into the market with their own SUV offerings, my attention also wandered. I took a liking to Ford’s Endeavour – a massive truck with a fine build quality. The CR-V never caught my attention. It was too soft. The Bolero was rugged but too noisy. The cops had a liking towards it. Pajero was another favourite. By now, I had grown up enough to understand the jargons of automobiles. I knew what to look for in a car, and what not to. Power, torque, engine refinement, handling were words I could relate to. The Safari scored low in handling and refinement. But, it still caught my attention every single time I saw it. The Tatas had succeeded with their commercial.

It was in 2011 that I first saw the new jeep in town. It was called “Thar”. I immediately searched online and read about it. It was a true-blue SUV and a true off-roader. It came with a soft top by default. The looks were dashing. It was the classiest of all SUVs in the market. Yet, the reviews said something else. There were issues. Issues that made it a car (yes it’s a jeep) you can’t live with. The interiors, especially, were termed “spartan”.

My brother Vijeth bought a Tata Nano in the same year and I learnt to drive properly only then. The Nano was cute, peppy, drivable and fun to live with. I took charge of the Nano when it had clocked 10.5k kms. When we sold it, it had clocked 38k kms. Most of those figures were gained during long drives. I always enjoyed those long drives in it. There were two shortcomings, however.

1. It couldn’t take bad roads. I’m sometimes rash at the wheel. The Nano couldn’t take it. It’s suspension arm gave way to my driving twice in its lifetime.

2. It was not a SUV.

Ford came out with EcoSport. On paper, it was an amazing vehicle. It came with all features one could want in a car along with a peppy EcoBoost engine. It was good looking too. It was a good soft-roader. I had started saving up for a car and decided this would be my car. Safari had already taken a backseat as it hadn’t seen good refinement even after spending almost 15 years in the market.

Roughly around the same time, two important things happened:

1. When my bother Vikki talked about driving to Ladakh in a hired Innova, I argued that I’d prefer to pay EMIs for my own car. And that if you have to go to Ladakh, it has to be in a Gypsy or a Thar.

2. Pictures of a new Thar with improved interiors leaked online.

I waited. EcoSport became way too common. I waited. Specifically for the Thar. The new one.

On July 22, I learnt that Mahindra had launched the new version. And it was a looker! Plastic bumpers only added to its looks. The interiors were more than just decent. The redesigned canopy looked good too. And there was a mechanical locking-differential. (I’m still not sure whether I will be able to use it ever.)

I sold my shares in Accenture and convinced my dad for some amount as a loan. On August 4, I paid India Garage, Bangalore a sum of 3 lakhs as down-payment. The showroom got my loan processed too. The waiting period was supposed to be 1 month. Both Kishan and I were extremely anxious as days passed by.

What was supposed to take a month, took almost two thanks to the colour I opted for – Black.

On October 3, 2015, the new Mahindra Thar was delivered to me in the basement of India Garage. On the same day, I drove it down to Kengeri so that my grandfather could perform the pooje. It felt as if a new baby was born in the family. And when a new baby is born, we name the baby – don’t we?

New Image
This darling was named “Ananya”. And I, sometimes, like to call her “Noor”.

Last edited by Vikki@Hyderabad : 14th October 2015 at 02:32.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 07:49   #155
BHPian

Guys, can anyone confirm if the 2015 Thar still needs a brake upgrade using Brake booster and master cylinder from the Scorpio.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 00:28   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Sorry for the long post, but my advice to anyone who is considering buying a Thar: If you're already comparing, don't buy one. If you really NEED a Jeep, the Thar DI is available. If you want something fun for the weekend, there are a couple of options at around this price. If you really WANT a Thar CRDe, then you should buy one. I bought one because I really wanted one. Despite all the negative feedback it had surrounding it. I let it go for something that made alot more sense to my head. But for some reason, I miss my Thar A LOT.

Would I buy another one given the opportunity? 100% YES.
Absolutely agree with you and I think you have explained it really well when you say " I bought one because I really wanted one.."

Keeping with the same philosophy I sold my 6+ year old trusty 2.6 CRDE Scorpio last month and have booked a CRDE Thar, Fiery Black

Very excited and waiting earnestly for the delivery which will be in about 3-4 weeks.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 01:21   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, can anyone confirm if the 2015 Thar still needs a brake upgrade using Brake booster and master cylinder from the Scorpio.
No Johy it does not. Even my 2014 Thar has the upgraded brake booster.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 16:04   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Sorry for the noob queries; a few clarifications:
Thanks in advance for all your responses.

I am not sure whether i am experienced enough to answer your questions but let me try

Q: you saying that they were superior to the Thar? So they can go where a Thar would struggle? Would really appreciate if you could elaborate on this.
Answer: Yes old jeeps are superior for rough use, farm use, offroading events, Jungle drives etc. But as per me Thar CRDe was never meant for this purpose and target customer for them is different. Its meant for weekend use, visiting remote places in basic luxury and get the feeling of JEEP or may be to associate with an iconic brand called JEEP

Q: To clarify, in your experience, is the Gypsy superior to the Thar or at the same level, in off-road ability?
Answer: Yes, if we are talking only offroad ability Gypsy is way better. but not on road

Q: If I may, in your opinion, is Thar even a proper 4 x 4?
Answer: Any vehicle which has low gear ratio (High & Low) are for wheel drive. Even Safari, Pajero, Vitara etc are 4WD.
I am not sure about proper 4x4, as its subjective

Q: Maybe off topic, but do you think any of us will be making this video about the Thar a couple of decades down?
Answer: i dont think so. why? because Jeep is an iconic brand not Thar. Just to compare Mercedes G-Wagon is iconic brand and Force Gurkha.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 17:11   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
That should be nice, to get a TD in the NCR region. If possible do ask them what options they have for a HT installation. I might also contact them after your report in, regarding the TD customer service you receive. Do let us know.

So I just got back from my Thar test drive from Koncept Automobiles in Delhi. The TD experience was alright for the most part. I got in and out of the place in 35 minutes total. The drive itself was a pretty short one (10-12 minutes) but I didn't mind that since I didn't have any more time today myself.

I won't get into a "mini-review" as that has already been done extensively on the forum, but a few of my thoughts.

This was my first time in a Thar and there were only two things that sort of disappointed me. I'm 6 feet 2 and and since the steering is non-adjustable, I could not see the speedometer beyond the 30 kmph mark nor the tachometer beyond 1500 rpm. Second, the seatbelt is positioned wayyy too low and it kept getting in the way, limiting my right arm movement to a considerable extent. I think I might be able to come up a fix for this perhaps. As for the speedo, I guess it's ok since we tend to use the engine sound as a speedometer anyway.

My girlfriend took the test drive with me and she admitted the ride quality wasn't as comfortable compared to the Manza or even the Nano. But she found the looks very impressive and noticed that I was smiling brightly during and after the TD, so no reason not to go ahead with it.

As for the HT, the sales rep advised getting it done from outside.
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 17:23   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
So I just got back from my Thar test drive from Koncept Automobiles in Delhi. The TD experience was alright for the most part. I got in and out of the place in 35 minutes total. The drive itself was a pretty short one (10-12 minutes) but I didn't mind that since I didn't have any more time today myself.

I won't get into a "mini-review" as that has already been done extensively on the forum, but a few of my thoughts.

This was my first time in a Thar and there were only two things that sort of disappointed me. I'm 6 feet 2 and and since the steering is non-adjustable, I could not see the speedometer beyond the 30 kmph mark nor the tachometer beyond 1500 rpm. Second, the seatbelt is positioned wayyy too low and it kept getting in the way, limiting my right arm movement to a considerable extent. I think I might be able to come up a fix for this perhaps. As for the speedo, I guess it's ok since we tend to use the engine sound as a speedometer anyway.

My girlfriend took the test drive with me and she admitted the ride quality wasn't as comfortable compared to the Manza or even the Nano. But she found the looks very impressive and noticed that I was smiling brightly during and after the TD, so no reason not to go ahead with it.

As for the HT, the sales rep advised getting it done from outside.
Thanks for the inputs. I had two small questions:

1. How was the experience driving in the dense influx of South Delhi's traffic. You must have been doing a lot of shifts between 1-2-N.
2. What price are they quoting for on-road. With the festive season on.

Thanks, again.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 20:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
1. How was the experience driving in the dense influx of South Delhi's traffic. You must have been doing a lot of shifts between 1-2-N.
That was pretty much what my TD was all about and it wasn't too bad actually. I felt it was surprisingly smooth while crawling in lowest gears and gear shifting wasn't a pain. It's too early to tell but from what I can extrapolate, city traffic driving should not be a problem at all.

Quote:
2. What price are they quoting for on-road. With the festive season on.
I was hoping for the same but there were no discounts on the Thar. However, I think one can perhaps negotiate for some freebies because of the season. They quoted 9.6 lacs on-road. Interestingly, the dealership in Dehradun quoted a whole 60k less than Koncept and since buying there is an option for me, I would certainly not make the purchase in Delhi.

Here's the cost breakdown (new Thar is at the bottom):
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-fullsizerender.jpg
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 16:02   #162
BHPian

Hi folks,

This was due for a while now. Took delivery of a Fiery Black Thar on the 8th of this month after exchanging PMs with Blackpearl and Himadrimondal (and Whatsapp messages with BlackPearl) who have been very patient in replying to my newbie questions. Big shout-out to these guys! This is aside from numerous questions posted on the Thar threads, both the old one and the 2015 one. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Like many folks on these forums, it was a Jeep thing for me from my childhood days; I always secretly wanted one. I grew up with the old school Jeeps (apart from an Austin 10 we owned) until refined petrols came and took over.

I was initially thinking of taking a "look" when a Rocky Beige Thar (booked by a customer based in Bhutan) was expected to arrive, when the showroom informed me that the showroom had themselves booked a black Thar and I would be shown it first. If I liked it, I could take it, and if I did not like it, no issues. And if it was a color issue, I could book a Rocky Beige (initially my first choice) one after looking at the black. No booking amount needed! Just the thing I was looking for, as I was only looking for another car - it could be anything. However, it still took around 2 months from my initial inquiry to when I was actually able to see the Thar in the flesh. When I received a call that the Thar was here, I rushed. One look and the mind was made up!

Just early days now with my Thar, and switching back and forth between the T-Jet and the Thar has been interesting to say the least.

• Both are enthusiastic cars in their own rights.
  • The Thar is an absolute head turner - because it is a Jeep! And it attracts people like a magnet. I had parked it on-route home when some people stepped out of a local road-side garage and slowly started inching towards the Thar! On another occasion, my friend Deb was driving it when some of his neighbors spotted him! They asked him to sell his new Swift and buy a Thar instead!
  • Took the Thar on some seriously steep inclines with my friend and team-bhpian Deb and boy it was a pleasure to drive, absolutely effortless on the inclines and sharp turns.
  • Delivery by the local dealership (Khokan Motors) was a 9/10, with key-handing ceremony, posing for photographs, and a nice gift too. 1 point deducted as they have erred in putting my mobile number on the invoice!
  • Proceeded to change the tires from stock Bridgestone Duelers HT to Michelin LTX AT2, stock size. Still awaiting alloys. Happy with the performance of the tires. They look good too!
  • The interiors, I can live with with the updates. Have found no issues with reading the speedo or tachometer (I am 5' 6").
  • No issues with seatbelt height either.
  • The first few drives, I felt an issue with the gear slotting from 3rd to 4th when it would sometimes not engage. Have discovered that the gear slots are very slightly inclined to go from 3rd to 4th and a little left. No problems after adjusting to it.
  • A few days spent with the Thar in the garage getting Innova 3rd row as back seats. Boy, you really need a lot of patience putting your brand new Thar in the garages getting mods done. Took them 2-1/2 days to get just the seats done!
  • Got Thar Expedition front and rear bumper from the dealers. This took a few days to arrive. The rear bumper makes some noise, a bit reduced after pasting rubber strips after looking at Blackpearl's thread on his Thar.
  • Still awaiting the South Africa Rollover bar. The workshop informs me that this is only available to them after the export quota is over! Found it a bit strange. I am at a loss how I can get it sooner! Someone please help.
  • Coming from the T-Jet, I have to take it a bit easy at speeds, have done up to 80 on the highway. And did not notice any canopy flapping.
  • Steering is a big vague. More oriented to driving at slower speeds.
  • Oh and one thing. The day after delivery, when I took it for a spin it rained cats and dogs as soon I was on the highway. The canopy held up very well. Just a bit of water streaks from the seams, but this was serious rain. Very serious.
  • Mods planned: Hard top, Ironman 4x4 dampers for rear (with existing leaf springs).
A picture to boot!

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-20151011_124423.jpg

Last edited by johy : 16th October 2015 at 16:12.
johy is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 15:40   #163
BHPian

Dear folks,

I took a couple of longish drives in my new Thar. It is mostly me alone up front or with kids at the back (after converting back seats to front facing).

With the Michelin AT2 tires and the low loaded weight, I would like to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

The options for me are:

1) Carbon fiber leafsprings + IronMan regular valving shockers.
2) Existing metal leafsprings + IronMan comfort valving shockers.
3) Any other suggestions others Thar users may please suggest.

I am looking to reduce the bumpiness. Bit confused if I should make it very soft or firm-ish
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 17:02   #164
BHPian

Quote:
That was pretty much what my TD was all about and it wasn't too bad actually. I felt it was surprisingly smooth while crawling in lowest gears and gear shifting wasn't a pain. It's too early to tell but from what I can extrapolate, city traffic driving should not be a problem at all.
That is good to hear. So the gear throws are not that bad. How would you compare the gear shifting to a Scorpio and/or XUV..?

Quote:
I was hoping for the same but there were no discounts on the Thar. However, I think one can perhaps negotiate for some freebies because of the season. They quoted 9.6 lacs on-road. Interestingly, the dealership in Dehradun quoted a whole 60k less than Koncept and since buying there is an option for me, I would certainly not make the purchase in Delhi.
I am from Mussoorie..! So can easily pick the Thar from Dehra Dun too. Though bringing it into the NCR, would I need to re-register it. How does it work. Will the 60K differential be negligible then..? Buying in Dehra Dun, bringing it to NCR, Gurgaon. Where is the showroom in Dehra Dun..?
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 20:06   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Dear folks,

I took a couple of longish drives in my new Thar. It is mostly me alone up front or with kids at the back (after converting back seats to front facing).

With the Michelin AT2 tires and the low loaded weight, I would like to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

The options for me are:

1) Carbon fiber leafsprings + IronMan regular valving shockers.

2) Existing metal leafsprings + IronMan comfort valving shockers.

3) Any other suggestions others Thar users may please suggest.

I am looking to reduce the bumpiness. Bit confused if I should make it very soft or firm-ish

Hi Johy, have you considered Bilstein shocks? They are the "go-to" shocks for 4WDs as has been my experience while living abroad.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote