Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 15:56   #256
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 174
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear KSingh544 - hello to you. My reply is as follows:

1. I am happy to see that one of my dhatings has helped you. It is you, who must come to a final understanding of your own vehicle's tire pressure. You have achieved "planted and firm", you must also achieve snap-shot single and double lance changes. It is very much possible. The production Bridgestone tires compliment this chassis very nicely....

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir just completed another 700 km drive (Delhi to Jammu) in 9.5 hours. The Thar performed beautifully ! Average cruising speed of 100-110 kmph, braking was adequate and the grip on the road superb. Biggest problem on my drives is the noise from the soft-top which is like a slow Russian torture over these long distances. I am going to be looking into the Hyderabad HT and the semi hardtop in Moga over the next month to rectify this. Switching lanes between two slow moving trucks on the highway was a breeze and i was happy i could execute my flowing " S shape" overtaking manoeuvre without too many worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kundan - it is my pleasure to be able to help you. It is quite possible that there will be resentment due to my direction to you. I will only tell you to do what is correct, so I hope that people will understand.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks for being upfront about it, end of the day all pro's and cons need to be weighed before taking such an important decision. The Thar for me is my primary vehicle, daily driver and not a weekend toy to be fooled around with. Much appreciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
....I think the Bimbra ones (version 2.0) look quite nifty. I am not a bit fan of others (as of now). Performance Auto, well the last time I checked their website, it was either down or non-existent. What relationship do they have with M&M actually? Cutting the pillars becomes a permanent thing, that is the problem. Do let me know how your plans go.

Cheers!
hi johy, after BD Sir's advice i have removed PA from my list. Though if you're interested in seeing their work, you can search for their page on Facebook. It has most of their Thar Hardtops, including the Thar Expedition variant they designed & executed for M&M. I hope to make a trip to Moga this month to see the semi-hardtop in person to take a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Hi Kundan, yes, when I had got my brand new bolero in 2008, on that too I did first service @ 1300 km only, my old school belief that first service should happen early only, as maximum friction and metal deposits will be released in oil during these few initial kilometers only while the new engine n other mechanical parts are settling in. Now second service @ 5000 and last warranty service @ 10,000. After that let's see if I'll want maxmile feo or might get a better grade ( CI 15/40 )
Moga is one hour from Ludhiana, 60km.
During this service only engine oil n oil filter was changed.
Thanks for the update !
I'm close to 3700 kms on my ODO and realized that the coolant level is hitting low on my Thar. i'll be sending it for the first service next week.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 16:17   #257
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,510 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
1. Biggest problem on my drives is the noise from the soft-top. 2. I'm close to 3700 kms and realized that the coolant level is hitting low on my Thar.
Dear KSingh - hello once again and thanks for your comments. . My reply is as follows:

1. Take a 10mm size spanner, lift the soft top flaps at the bottom of both sides, you will see 5 bolts there. Loosen them a little bit, get a friend to really pull the canopy with the rail down and then tighten the bolts starting from the front and rear end ones, then the middle ones and then the center one. The rails have vertical slots for this adjustment. It is a two person job, it takes around 5 minutes to do. Ensure that the threads have not slipped, if they have slipped, just insert nyloc nuts from inside the vehicle. As per my design intent and all actions taken to achieve it, flapping, wrinkling and black color fading are not permitted at all. Maybe some "value engineering" seems to have been done (). The vendor is only 2 kms away from where I work in Pune, I'll check with him.
2. Tell the dealer to replace the radiator cap under warranty, no questions asked (vacuum valve not functioning) and fill the cooling system exactly as per the checklist. Simple!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th January 2016 at 16:19.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 17:46   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,507 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
By the way, went to Renuka Lake yesterday n did some offroading, also went downhill to a hill stream n took thar into water and did some 4x4 in high n low gear ratios, loved it !! But as i was getting out some white smoke came out for a minute or two, maybe some water touched some sensor, now this sucks, water was not even half tire deep, a vehicle meant to offroad should be better equipped to handle water !! I uploaded a picture so you can see the depth of water
That would have been water touching the exhuast or something.
We were there at the same place in March 2015 with our thar's.
Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-11050641_604085693025229_4393436225395325010_n.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-11021086_603151933118605_4375769702623410053_n.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-11025823_603152096451922_4409655229622771192_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 18:49   #259
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 174
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear KSingh - hello once again and thanks for your comments. . My reply is as follows:

1. Take a 10mm size spanner, lift the soft top flaps at the bottom of both sides, you will see 5 bolts there. Loosen them a little bit, get a friend to really pull the canopy with the rail down and then tighten the bolts starting from the front and rear end ones, then the middle ones and then the center one. The rails have vertical slots for this adjustment. It is a two person job, it takes around 5 minutes to do. Ensure that the threads have not slipped, if they have slipped, just insert nyloc nuts from inside the vehicle. As per my design intent and all actions taken to achieve it, flapping, wrinkling and black color fading are not permitted at all. Maybe some "value engineering" seems to have been done (). The vendor is only 2 kms away from where I work in Pune, I'll check with him.
2. Tell the dealer to replace the radiator cap under warranty, no questions asked (vacuum valve not functioning) and fill the cooling system exactly as per the checklist. Simple!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sir ! the prompt and exact response is much appreciated

I shall give it a shot in the daylight tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That would have been water touching the exhuast or something.
We were there at the same place in March 2015 with our thar's.
Here are the pics.
Thats a beautiful trio of Thar's in the outdoors. What is the tyre size & alloys on the extreme right Rocky Beige Thar in the top photo? They look beautiful !!
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 14:41   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,755
Thanked: 1,507 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Thank you Sir ! the prompt and exact response is much appreciated

I shall give it a shot in the daylight tomorrow.



Thats a beautiful trio of Thar's in the outdoors. What is the tyre size & alloys on the extreme right Rocky Beige Thar in the top photo? They look beautiful !!
That's a Silver as well
All Thar's in the picture are running 255/65/16
2 on Maxxis AT771, 3rd on Yokohoma Geolander AT.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 17:05   #261
BHPian
 
maheep007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That would have been water touching the exhuast or something.
We were there at the same place in March 2015 with our thar's.
Here are the pics.
Nice pictures, looks like you guys really put the machine to its use. My question is, why white smoke if water touches muffler? Is there any sensor located there ?
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 11:27   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 923 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
why white smoke if water touches muffler? ?
Are you sure it was white smoke?
It may have been water vapor being generated due to first touch of water to the hot muffler. As the water evaporates, the muffler cools and no further "white smoke" emanates (from the surface of the muffler).


If the white smoke was coming from inside the muffler, then also water phenomena can explain it. The usual exhaust is hot and contains significant water vapor. IF this is cooled suddenly, condensation forms suspended like a fog (incidentally this is how clouds are formed). The sudden cooling, of course, due to water touching the externals of the muffler.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 13:59   #263
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 174
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

The beauty of Team-BHP -

Jayprashant and i have been on touch on whatsapp and email regarding our respective Thars and the mods etc.
Yesterday in my email i mentioned to him that i maybe buying a Prad front bumper to replace the ugly Mahindra bumper on the upgraded Thar 2015.

Late last night he emails me a link showing Mr. Biju's Thar (Facebook 4x4 group) in which he had removed the bumper extensions and chopped off the remaining bits and bobs, to get a clean minimal looking bumper.

So this morning with the aid of my driver i got onto the job and here is the end result.
We removed the bumper extensions and the remaining metal extensions i got knocked off by a welder and had it slightly touched up with paint.

The attached pictures tell the story, i have also added a WIP photo before the extensions were welded off and a before photo.

Look forward to all your feedback.

Jay thank you so much once again ! The power of team-bhp is there for everyone to see. here are two people who have never met but the passion for automobiles keep us all together

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-thar_before.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-tharwip.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-thar3.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-thar1.jpg

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-thar2.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2016 at 13:04. Reason: Lining up pics :). Thanks for sharing
Ksingh544 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 09:04   #264
BHPian
 
maheep007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Nice effort, but i personally like the new bumpers as they compliment the side cladding/arches. Now your Thar's wheel arches look protruding out, my personal opinion would be to remove them or go for the earlier model ones which dint stick out so much. This current look you have looks best if you change other things too, to give it a complete offroader look, like MT tires and antennae etc, just a personal opinion
maheep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 09:16   #265
KMT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Coorg
Posts: 184
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Well if he gets slightly offset Alloys it will sort out that problem of the fenders looking too wide.
I have got offset alloys (on my old Thar), but be careful choosing the offset, dont go overboard, if they are too offset/wide it throws up a lot of slush on the bodywork and increases leverage on the suspension.
KMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 12:44   #266
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 174
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Nice effort, but i personally like the new bumpers as they compliment the side cladding/arches. Now your Thar's wheel arches look protruding out, my personal opinion would be to remove them or go for the earlier model ones which dint stick out so much. This current look you have looks best if you change other things too, to give it a complete offroader look, like MT tires and antennae etc, just a personal opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Well if he gets slightly offset Alloys it will sort out that problem of the fenders looking too wide.
I have got offset alloys (on my old Thar), but be careful choosing the offset, dont go overboard, if they are too offset/wide it throws up a lot of slush on the bodywork and increases leverage on the suspension.
Hi Guys,

thanks for your feedback !
yes this is a WIP picture but then i guess the Thar is a WIP Project
Plans for February are a set off slightly offset alloys to compliment the look. But i dont want to compromise the handling in any which way. The jeep is running nicely on the highways & within the city. Plan is for 16 inch alloys with 7 or 8J.
What do you guys think about this size configuration ?

Also in the pipeline is the rear seat project and Hardtop (HHT/Azad) OR Semi-Hardtop from Moga.

This weekend a pair of Hellas will be going onto the front bumper.

Cheers
Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 07:43   #267
BHPian
 
maheep007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Guys,

thanks for your feedback !
yes this is a WIP picture but then i guess the Thar is a WIP Project
Plans for February are a set off slightly offset alloys to compliment the look. But i dont want to compromise the handling in any which way. The jeep is running nicely on the highways & within the city. Plan is for 16 inch alloys with 7 or 8J.
What do you guys think about this size configuration ?

Also in the pipeline is the rear seat project and Hardtop (HHT/Azad) OR Semi-Hardtop from Moga.

This weekend a pair of Hellas will be going onto the front bumper.

Cheers
Kundan
16" is the company size so u can't go wrong there. Mine are 8j I think. Stick to same tire size, handling, if any, will improve only.
Since Thar is not my only and primary vehicle, I decided against hard top, I kinda like the look of the soft top. But be in touch and let me know if you need any help or happen to be near by, cheers
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 09:38   #268
BHPian
 
johy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Siliguri
Posts: 831
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
16" is the company size so u can't go wrong there. Mine are 8j I think. Stick to same tire size, handling, if any, will improve only.
Since Thar is not my only and primary vehicle, I decided against hard top, I kinda like the look of the soft top. But be in touch and let me know if you need any help or happen to be near by, cheers
I agree. Also, as long as you can keep the soft top look; nothing like it.

I have a question for other Thar owners. Some of you must have experienced a problem with the fuel gauze in that it does not always display the correct fuel level (A couple of times even after I had filled up quite a lot of fuel, the needle was still not going up). In fact, once the same thing happened with the temperature gauze (it was showing Cold even after running for a while . It got fixed after I turned off the ignition and restarted the Thar.

Although I have brought it up with the service center, I have not been able to reproduce it. Any leads on how to fix this issue?

Last edited by johy : 1st February 2016 at 09:39.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 18:00   #269
BHPian
 
maheep007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 114
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I agree. Also, as long as you can keep the soft top look; nothing like it.

I have a question for other Thar owners. Some of you must have experienced a problem with the fuel gauze in that it does not always display the correct fuel level (A couple of times even after I had filled up quite a lot of fuel, the needle was still not going up). In fact, once the same thing happened with the temperature gauze (it was showing Cold even after running for a while . It got fixed after I turned off the ignition and restarted the Thar.

Although I have brought it up with the service center, I have not been able to reproduce it. Any leads on how to fix this issue?
The problem exists, yes, I too have pointed out earlier here only, if you Go back a page or 2 I think you'll find it. On re fueling the tank to full, needle showed full tank, once I reached home n switched off, next day it showed 3/4th tank full, and on third day it again started showing full tank, it plays pranks on you. I trust the kilometers it has run n refuel it, on full tank it runs around 450km n I re fuel it. Temperature gauge in morning, climbs till the optimum operating temperature (halfway between c n h ) very very slow, I I drive very carefully till its not reached that ideal operating temperature, tests your patience.
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 22:58   #270
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 174
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I agree. Also, as long as you can keep the soft top look; nothing like it.

I have a question for other Thar owners. Some of you must have experienced a problem with the fuel gauze in that it does not always display the correct fuel level (A couple of times even after I had filled up quite a lot of fuel, the needle was still not going up). In fact, once the same thing happened with the temperature gauze (it was showing Cold even after running for a while . It got fixed after I turned off the ignition and restarted the Thar.

Although I have brought it up with the service center, I have not been able to reproduce it. Any leads on how to fix this issue?
Hi Johy,

the only "fix" (if you can call it that), when i turn on the ignition, wait for a split second before cranking the engine. in that 1-2 seconds you will see your fuel needle settle in its proper position. If you go too fast from ignition to engine on, i have noticed the fuel needle falls dead.

Till now the engine temperature gauge has been ok on mine but as a precaution i will have it checked tomorrow. my Thar is going for its first service.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 561 12th January 2017 22:31
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look Aditya The Indian Car Scene 551 4th January 2017 18:48
2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 37 9th August 2016 09:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks