Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd July 2015, 14:35   #16
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Thar CRDe facelift launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

exterior changes, the new front bumper design with the panel gaps :( why cant they redesign the entire thar itself, it's high time that they get out of the same external structure and get a new modern design. Design evolution is needed.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:50   #17
BANNED

Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra Thar Facelift spotted testing

I really liked the new Thar and its features. they are most welcome change which most Thar enthusiasts wanted to have. I own a five month old Thar and must say that Mahindra should offer these features as an add ons to existing customers also. Especially Dashboard, comfortable seats, demister, steering wheel, 2 DIN ICE option, MLD, floor consoles, power outlet, independent front suspension are most helpful features. In my opinion the additional price fairly matches the add ons. the only feature looking bad is front bumpers and wheel arches.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 23rd July 2015 at 14:52.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:06   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Improved -Good
Price - Bad
2 Din Slot only - Why not the music system itself? Cost? The price is already high without the System?
Safety - Very Poor - Can bet on a NCAP 0 star. Off Road vehicle also will be used on the road for 95+% of the usage and should be safe. Airbags?, Pedestrian Safety?
Looks may not be liked by all due to the front plastic bumpers but that can be lived with. Those really intent on offroading already bought the first iteration itself, this one would be targeted for mainly those who might mostly do a bit of soft off road plus like the lifestyle element it offers.

The Dash looks good. But then considering the numbers the thar does it can be fully met with a preowned Safari Storme 2013 or Pajero SFX 2009 or equivalent at lesser effective landed price with a lot lot more comfort built in plus better fuel efficiency in some cases. Preowned options are likely to be as reliable or unreliable as the Brand new Thar.

Considering the low numbers that the Thar is likely to do it seems only natural to compare with the parallel preowned options especially as it is not really expected to be niggle free from the showroom like modern vehicles.

Then like the Harley Tax you have the Thar Customization Tax.

Nope does not make a deal.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd July 2015 at 15:09.
ACM is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I love the new Thar. My biggest grouse was with the shockingly cheap plastics in the previous interior, and how everything seemed to be falling off. The new interior is a marked leap in terms of quality and ergonomics. Will still take a TD to see if it feels as good as it looks.

As for the exterior, the new bumpers do look hideous. But strap on a pair of off-road bumpers and you're good to go.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:28   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe facelift launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

With the power ratings of 105bhp/250-odd NM Torque, and from the ownership reviews, it is evident that the vehicle can maintain cruising speeds all day without breaking a sweat. To add, most of the owners I know, use Thar more on the road than off it.
That said, I expected ABS in the facelifted Thar more than anything else. At least as an option.
Zinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:40   #21
BHPian

The MLD is available from Eaton as an aftermarket fitment for the Thar as well as the older Scorpios for about Rs. 26,000. That said, one thing I fail to understand is that for an "off-road" vehicle, why is it still offered only with HT tyres and not AT tyres? Forget MTs, ATs are the least M&M could have offered.
Other changes except for the front bumper (unfortunately mandated by pedestrian safety norms) are welcome - especially the corrected driving position.
Roshun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 18:47   #22
BANNED

Still no ABS! How does M&M expect that they can launch a newer model without ABS and get away with it? When will Indian government wake up and enforce ABS as a standard(at-least!).
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:25   #23
BHPian

Does the new Mahindra Thar have any indicator that tells the driver that the vehicle is running in a 4WD mode? Automatic shifting to a 4WD is a joke... I can foresee incidents dime-a-dozen of cases in Bangalore where the Mahindra Thar would shift to a 4WD mode.

Also, as i understand, one needs to drive the vehicle reverse for a few feet in order to get it rid of the 4WD mode. How hilarious can that be in the Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Chennai traffic?

What were the designers smoking when they decided on this vehicle?
man23ish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
Does the new Mahindra Thar have any indicator that tells the driver that the vehicle is running in a 4WD mode? Automatic shifting to a 4WD is a joke... I can foresee incidents dime-a-dozen of cases in Bangalore where the Mahindra Thar would shift to a 4WD mode.

Also, as i understand, one needs to drive the vehicle reverse for a few feet in order to get it rid of the 4WD mode. How hilarious can that be in the Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Chennai traffic?

Er, there is a small lever much like the gear lever that needs to be used to change the driving mode in the Thar. I am pretty sure that, that lever is an inanimate thing which doesn't have a mind of its own to shift into 4WD automatically!
PreethamB is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:27   #25
BHPian

Interestingly there is a 4WD indicator in the dashboard (pre facelift Thar), only it isn't connected to anything. There is a dead cable not connected to anything running next to the handbrake, a senior Mahindra tech told me its the cable for the 4WD indicator, and its only connected for the export models unfortunately .

Quote:

HillyThar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:33   #26
BHPian

Default Re: New Mahindra Thar CRDe launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
a new floor console with cup holders
Funny thinking of the MM designers.. who would want to bend down and pick up a drink from the holders that is almost at the floor level while driving
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:

You are confusing between front auto hub locks, 4WD transfer case and rear diff lock. No! Thar wont automatically shift to 4WD mode, you need to engage transfer case for that by moving lever from 2H-> 4H -> 4L. Front hub locks then click to lock and provide power to front wheels. Rear diff lock activates only when one of the rear wheels loose traction (Owner manual says when the RPM difference is >100 between the rear wheels). So no problem driving Thar in 2H mode in traffic. Oh and owners manual says that there is actually an indicator light in the center console to show whether 4H or 4L mode is engaged.

Coming to refreshed Thar, finally this is something a city slicker like me can live with. After owning an MM540 for couple of years and parting with it, my only grouse was how crude the interiors were and unusable it was as a daily drive. Compared current Thar, my vehicle didn't even have a parking brake

New Thar requires a Rollcage, front facing seat and a hard top, thats it. It is much much better than earlier gen Thars for that price.
vaspro is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:40   #28
AWD
BANNED

While the new upgrades are ok but the price increase not so. Like others, Mahindra is also cashing in, so thats ok too. Consumers still have the option of marking their protest by not buying the vehicle in the same numbers as earlier. Thats the best signal one can send across to a manufacturer to correct the prices. Otherwise upwards is the only way to go!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:06   #29

Cool Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe facelift launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

Genuinely, I am not a serious off-roader. But, the Thar is on my cards since very long as i am considering it for my daily drive along with some occasional weekend fun. M&M's commander was the first vehicle we owned back in the 90's and my crush with the jeep started ever since. The circumstances and family situations suppressed my strong desire of owning one.

Going by the pictures, i have a little hope that i can convince the family to a good extent. Wifey was willing to throw me out of the house when last time i expressed my views on buying one. So, i kept it to myself. After all, it took 8 long months to convince her for the bullet. I succeeded though.

All in all, i liked the new interiors and hoping to have my hands on it soon. The alloys and tyres are not included in the standard equipment. Right? I vaguely noticed it as optional accessory in the video somewhere. Not pretty sure.
diyaneesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:50   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

"A change for the better and the only tough offroading GP vehicle available in the showrooms" is how I would sum it up.

The dash still looks a bit archaic and has some "Boleroish" remnants. The angularities in the dash designing are a let down. Rather smoother edges would have been prefered to get rid of the "1970's ish" looks.

The CRDe engine fitted to do its duties in the Thar is still the 2.6 L, M Eagle, that came with the oldest Scorpios and oldest Xylos. I wonder why this engine is still preferred by Mahindra,when the 2190 cc, M Hawk, CRDe doing its duties on Scorpios and newer Xylos is so torquey and generates 120 BHP.

The roll-over cage on the "B" pillar needs strengthening to the highest degree possible for safety reasons.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd July 2015 at 22:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote