Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 18:33   #301
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 1,889
Thanked: 2,265 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Another question I had in regards to LED lights. I recently changed to LED headlights (for one day). Although the light was claimed to the 50W, the output was not good. I would say 30% of my current Osram Nighbreakers
Quote:
i have installed Hella fog lamps on the bumper and they are helpful, as the stock headlights are terrible.
try here , I have never used them but there are some good reviews on a different thread , perhaps Ksingh can try first being from this region and update.


http://www.xenonplanet.in/mahindra-t...light-cree-75w

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-653.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th April 2016 at 18:35.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 15:29   #302
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 175
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
try here , I have never used them but there are some good reviews on a different thread , perhaps Ksingh can try first being from this region and update.


http://www.xenonplanet.in/mahindra-t...light-cree-75w

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-here-653.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
hi sir thanks for sharing these.

personally i dont like LED lights on the Thar and will be sticking to the stock look of the old school jeeps.

will be upgrading the bulbs and relay for sure, in the near future. Also on the cards is a single captain seat with arm rests in the rear.

thanks

Ksingh
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 19:46   #303
BHPian
 
Dr_MNC_SK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Gangtok, Sikkim
Posts: 82
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Got it. Thanks!

Can one of the owners here please confirm the part about the need to reverse for disengaging the diff lock? I doubt it since there is no sure-short way to know if the diff did get locked, as there is no indicator for the same. I might be wrong though.
The diff lock in the New Thar Crde is a self unlocking one when the relative difference in the two rear wheels come to less than 100 rpm. i.e. you dont need to reverse or do anything to unlock it. sometimes you may hear a tack sound immediately after regaining traction of it unlocking or uncoupling but you may not hear it everytime. Unlike the automatic locking hubs which needs to be reversed for unlocking (and still it doesnt sometimes). The road to my parking lot requires a 3 point turn at an ascend if i approach from one direction and this diff lock comes in play everytime. Onlookers just simply look in awe as to how it spins first, regains traction from the opposite side and i coast down.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 00:54   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,178
Thanked: 1,515 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi sir thanks for sharing these.

personally i dont like LED lights on the Thar and will be sticking to the stock look of the old school jeeps.

will be upgrading the bulbs and relay for sure, in the near future. Also on the cards is a single captain seat with arm rests in the rear.

thanks

Ksingh
Upgraded to 130/100W Philips bulbs with a Hella Relay kit. The difference is lighting is substantial. One flash of the high beam and most oncoming traffic dips their headlamps. A few people I know say have mistaken the low beam of the Thar with 130/100 to be high beam, which explains how powerful the headlamps are now. I drive in low beam at almost all places except when need extra illumination is really needed. After this upgrade, I don't feel the need to get fog lamps or a light bar, in other words significant savings.

Cost: 850 for relay, 500 for bulbs, and 350 for fitment.

PS: The wiring can be neatly integrated in the space between the headlamps and the bonnet. Most people won't even realize the upgrade until they examine the wiring closely.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:36   #305
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 884
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Upgraded to 130/100W Philips bulbs with a Hella Relay kit. The difference is lighting is substantial. One flash of the high beam and most oncoming traffic dips their headlamps. A few people I know say have mistaken the low beam of the Thar with 130/100 to be high beam, which explains how powerful the headlamps are now. I drive in low beam at almost all places except when need extra illumination is really needed. After this upgrade, I don't feel the need to get fog lamps or a light bar, in other words significant savings.

Cost: 850 for relay, 500 for bulbs, and 350 for fitment.

PS: The wiring can be neatly integrated in the space between the headlamps and the bonnet. Most people won't even realize the upgrade until they examine the wiring closely.

Cheers,

Jay
Hi Jay,
Thanks for this info.
2 Questions:
1. Where did you get this install done? Any good place in Bangalore?
2. The stock headlamps are just fine for me within city. However, on highway, the throw is very close to the car even on high beam. Is this a common issue in Thar?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 22:22   #306
BHPian
 
sharc_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mysore
Posts: 65
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

With the onset of the BNVSAP (Bharat National Vehicle Safety Assessment Program) in 2017 (expected), all new cars will have to undergo various crash tests including frontal offset, side-impact and pedestrian safety tests.

Safety features like airbags (front airbags at the least), ABS, collapsible steering columns, crumple zones and reinforced passenger shells will become mandatory for all new vehicles.

Incorporating these features will mean a complete redesigning of the Thar right from the chassis, body shell and everything in between since the Thar uses a body on frame construction.

Given the current and projected customer demand for the Mahindra Thar, will M&M find it feasible to extensively re-engineer the Thar's platform to meet these new safety regulations or will the cost involved in doing so defeat the idea of continuing to produce an affordable true blue off-roader for the niche segment?
sharc_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 22:52   #307
AWD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 804
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
BNVSAP Thar's platform to meet these new safety regulations or will the cost involved in doing so defeat the idea of continuing to produce an affordable true blue off-roader for the niche segment?
Thats purely a misconception, no vehicle should actually be rolled on the road without crash worthiness. I'd say Mahindra did not play it right from a consumers perspective, mere running after commercial gains should not be the sole aim. Ok done with the morality part.

Then Mahindra already enjoys a hefty profit margin on the Thar, its the same ~half a century old build. So I don't believe Mahindra would need to hike costs in the name of safety compliance.

Coming to the misconception part, when a car like Nano can be built according to the safety standards, its a no brianer that costs ain't a hitch, "will" sure is!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 23:17   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,178
Thanked: 1,515 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hi Jay,
Thanks for this info.
2 Questions:
1. Where did you get this install done? Any good place in Bangalore?
2. The stock headlamps are just fine for me within city. However, on highway, the throw is very close to the car even on high beam. Is this a common issue in Thar?
Cheers,
Deepak
World of Service, Noida was where I got the headlamps upgraded as I'm in Delhi for a short while on work. In Bangalore, Automechs in Koramangala is a decent place for this job. For throw, you may need to get the beam set. This is the complicated bit. After the upgrade, I feel the throw can be made better even though the increased illumination compensates.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 27th April 2016 at 23:21.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 18:00   #309
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 175
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Hi everyone i have a November 2015 Thar 2.6 CRDE. I have driven it without an issue for 11,000 kms across North India.

Last week i had sent the vehicle for a small denting job on the bonnet and when i went to pick up the jeep, i saw it was slotted in 4H & the green light was on the console. I called the mechanic and blasted him for messing around with the 4x4.

I slotted back into 2H and did the reverse process to disengage the hubs but didnt hear any clicks. I tried this 2-3 times more but still couldnt figure out if i was back in 2H or not.

Finally i took the vehicle to an open parking lot put it in 4H, drove then moved to 2H and reversed. This time it felt it had disengaged. I jacked up the wheels, rotated them and the prop shaft (which is toward the right side) was not rotating.

But since this incident the following issues are occurring -

- steering feels heavier than normal
- there is bounce towards the front end of the vehicle
- the engine feels strained even at 2500 rpm

i have been driving the Thar across highways and cities with no issue, its been cruising and the handling was very responsive. In February i moved to Michelin AT tyres (stock size) and the ride became even better.

But now it feel the engine is straining in every gear and the handling is totally off.
The vehicle has to go for service soon, it was last serviced about 5500 kms ago. could this be contributing to above mentioned problems ?

I see some other members have faced similar issues in the past

Please advice what should be done to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance

regards

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:19   #310
BHPian
 
kanu2k15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 48 Times
Question To buy a used or a new Thar

So of late I have shifted to Bangalore from Delhi. Used to drive my good old Figo (now sold) and now the New Ecosport. Now the Ecosport is in Delhi as my Dad's car I am thinking of buying a new car here in Bangalore.

I have been a fan of jeeps and wanted to buy one. But was comparing between a pre-worshipped Honda Civic and a Thar. Going through multiple reviews and post on both the cars now have decided to dive into the 4X4 world.

So now my question to you guys is that which Thar is a good option to buy? The old pre-worshipped Thar which are normally selling at around 7 Lakhs for a 2012 - 2014 model Or to get the New Thar which had fixed some issues of the old Thar. The new one I am getting a around 10.2 Lakhs On-road here.
Please suggest? Is it worth buying the old model or should I get the new model?

Last edited by .anshuman : 31st May 2016 at 06:22. Reason: Spelling mistakes fixed. Please proof read before posting. Thanks
kanu2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 07:44   #311
BHPian
 
DrivingNirvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 39
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: To buy a used or a new Thar

Hello kanu2k25!

It is a great decision to plunge into 4wd territory. I would suggest you to go for the new Thar. The previous Thar, though a capable off roader, had its share of problems. Mahindra has tried to correct some of them in the new generation Thar.

For example, the front seats are more comfortable now, the centre console is much better in quality and finish, AC is more powerful. Also, there is a rear differential lock in the new Thar.

Do get a hardtop installed if you intend to use this as your primary vehicle.

Regards

Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 10:25   #312
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,547 Times
Default Re: To buy a used or a new Thar

Dear kanu2k15 - hello to you. The only real improvement in the new Thar CRDe which adds tremendous value is the MLD (mechanical locking differential). In my opinion, everything else is cosmetic. If budget is not a constraint, go ahead and buy a brand new one. The biggest advantage of buying a brand new one is that you will be the first owner and there will be no transfer hassles. If you decide to buy a pre-owned one, you must only buy a very carefully used one and it must be with factory equipped AC only. As there are many extremely knowledgeable TeamBHPians owning Thar CRDe in Bangalore, I suggest please touch base with them. They will definitely guide you properly. If required, please PM me, I will send you their contact details, I am in regular touch with them.

Welcome to the 4*4 world! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 19:38   #313
BHPian
 
kanu2k15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 48 Times
Thumbs up Re: To buy a used or a new Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
Hello kanu2k25!

It is a great decision to plunge into 4wd territory. I would suggest you to go for the new Thar. The previous Thar, though a capable off roader, had its share of problems. Mahindra has tried to correct some of them in the new generation Thar.

For example, the front seats are more comfortable now, the centre console is much better in quality and finish, AC is more powerful. Also, there is a rear differential lock in the new Thar.

Do get a hardtop installed if you intend to use this as your primary vehicle.

Regards

Saubhik
Thanks Saubhik for the suggestion. I too was keen in 3 of these changes like the new front seats, Center console (now can install 2din ICE) and the rear differential lock. Though I being a newbie in the 4X4 world would not know much difference but to be on a safe side I too am inclined on getting the new Thar. Though it will cut my budget short for any additional accessories.
What should be the bare essential accessories after getting it? and yes this will be my primary vehicle so hard top will be in the list but firstly need to find which HT is good without leakage and also costs reasonably, but it will need to wait due to budget constraints.
Thanks
Karan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear kanu2k15 - hello to you. The only real improvement in the new Thar CRDe which adds tremendous value is the MLD (mechanical locking differential). In my opinion, everything else is cosmetic. If budget is not a constraint, go ahead and buy a brand new one. The biggest advantage of buying a brand new one is that you will be the first owner and there will be no transfer hassles. If you decide to buy a pre-owned one, you must only buy a very carefully used one and it must be with factory equipped AC only. As there are many extremely knowledgeable TeamBHPians owning Thar CRDe in Bangalore, I suggest please touch base with them. They will definitely guide you properly. If required, please PM me, I will send you their contact details, I am in regular touch with them.

Welcome to the 4*4 world! .

Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Wow! thanks for your reply Behram sir, I do have a tight budget but will get it financed anyways so will need to keep the EMI's as low as possible. The showroom people called today and told the car cost 10.50 Lakhs on road and have booked for a extensive test drive this Friday.
I too don't want to buy a pre-owned Thar as I am not mechanically qualified and don't know people here who would help me selecting a no-issue pre-owned car. I will surely PM you, please do share some contact details so that I can clarify all my doubts.
Thanks
Karan
kanu2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 10:23   #314
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,547 Times
Default Re: To buy a used or a new Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
The showroom people called today and told the car cost 10.50 lakhs on road. Please do share some contact details so that I can clarify all my doubts. Thanks Karan
Dear Karan - 10.5 on road is just too much, anyways, your call. I am PMing you the contact details. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 15:34   #315
Newbie
 
rohitangshu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Hi ,

I am from Kolkata and planning to buy a new Thar CRDe in September . I was just browsing in the forum and came across the possibility of ban on 2.0L Diesel vehicles in other cities . http://www.team-bhp.com/news/diesel-...ities-says-ngt . Is this going to affect the privately owned vehicles like Thar in case the ban expands to metros like Kolkata .

Regards ,

Rohitangshu
rohitangshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look Aditya The Indian Car Scene 579 19th May 2017 17:31
2015 Volkswagen Vento Facelift : A Close Look S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 568 14th May 2017 11:16
2015 Hyundai Elantra Facelift : A Close Look S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 37 9th August 2016 09:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks