Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th September 2015, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Nice work!!! It has become a kind of obsession to look up to this monthly numbers. Good to see the Tata cars's sales look up, though Safari Storme's decline is bad. It would be a sad day to see such an able mammoth shut shop altogether. Creta seems to be a winner all the way and I am happy to see Aspire clock decent numbers. Surprised not to see a review yet on Team Bhp. On a side note, it is becoming increasingly difficult to spot new Bimmers in God's Own Country while the ilks of Audi and Mercs seem to abound. As for Fiat, they might as well shut producing cars and focus just on engines!!
Old 15th September 2015, 11:24   #32
BHPian

Wow the Big 3 numbers finally!!

Fortuner is among top losers of the month. I think this is the first time this has happened since it's launch in 2009. Looks like lot of people are waiting for the Endeavor.

Creta - Hats Off!!
SCross - Maruti, when will you learn to sell 10L+ vehicles?
Old 15th September 2015, 11:27   #33
BHPian

Strange are the ways of the market.
The topline seller in the B2 segment is the Hyundai i20 which grosses 10k+ numbers month on month for close to 6 months now. Tempted to conquer this segment, Honda brings in the brand new Jazz. The Jazz sells 5k+ numbers but i20 continues selling 10k+ numbers. So whose lunch did jazz grab in the process? Its own sister brand the City, which was selling 8k-9k month on month now sells just 5k+. What a tragedy for Honda. Surprisingly the Jazz is endowed with a far better performing pair of engines, provides a top class automatic that the i20 simply does not have, looks damn good (though many still say the i20 is the best looker) and hey, its a HONDA.
Very difficult indeed it is to gauge the mind of the customer. It is unbelievable that an i20 that has such a tepid petrol engine, a powerful diesel but with poor drivability (times taken to move from 20-80 in 3rd gear and 40-100 in 4th gear are miserable compared to a Honda Jazz) trumps the Jazz purely based on looks. Being a great looker is undoubtedly the top if not not one of the top 3 requirements to be able to sell well in the Indian markets. Until and unless you have a Shah Rukh Khan to plump for a Santro
the way he did in the late 90s!
niranjanprabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 11:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Being a great looker is undoubtedly the top if not not one of the top 3 requirements to be able to sell well in the Indian markets. Until and unless you have a Shah Rukh Khan to plump for a Santro
the way he did in the late 90s!
It's not about the looks. It's about being the established brand. Today, customers trust Hyundai almost as much as Maruti. i20 is not looked in isolation to the brand. It offers hordes of features (which customers love), decent A.S.S., brand value and peace of mind when you see so many i20 on the road, which means you can't be going wrong.

Even if Jazz is much superior product, it will take time to establish itself before impacting i20 sales. (Previous Jazz was deemed failure in market).

If it was just about looks, Linea/Punto should have killed most competition by now.
RX135 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:04   #35
BHPian

I suspect S-cross would sell much better if it were sold via Maruti's existing showrooms. Instead you can only get them at Nexa showrooms and you can't buy any other car at those showrooms. I suppose in the long term Maruti wants to build a premium image so that it can sell more expensive cars (whose buyers, Maruti perhaps thinks, don't want to hobnob with Alto-800 and Wagon-R customers), and they decided to make a start in this way. But is this a sensible long-term decision or is it just some misguided pop-psychology theory from some MBA in their ranks?
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:05   #36
BHPian

Wow! We finally get a perspective of the luxury segment! And its not really surprising to see Mercedes is running away with it with their onslaught of new launches.

Audi A7, A8, R8, RS5; 15 + BMW 7 Series; 17 = Total; 32

Mercedes S Class; 42

--

Even the E-Class nearly comes close to the total number of A6 + 5 Series sales.

It's also surprising to see the 3-Series sales struggling so much against the competition! The C-Class with the large mark-up still keeping pace with the A4 too, is good news for Merc.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
The Jazz sells 5k+ numbers but i20 continues selling 10k+ numbers. So whose lunch did jazz grab in the process? Its own sister brand the City, which was selling 8k-9k month on month now sells just 5k+. What a tragedy for Honda.
No need to worry a lot about Honda. Honda's plants are running over the capacity, and they can only produce this much.
If they ship out more Jazz, then they cannot deliver the City / Amaze in large numbers.
In comparison, Hyundai has a large capacity to produce more cars, and a large sales network - and hence a lot of i20s are rolling out.
So, we cannot write off Jazz this time again, as poor selling product. We need to wait and see how the market responds for this mini City hatchback!

BTW - i20 is not the top seller in B2 segment, it is the ubiquitous Swift .
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:26   #38
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing. Plus the percentage market share and overall segment-wise sales are colour-coded to reflect relative position.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom
Attached Thumbnails
August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg  

August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg  

August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg  

August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting month indeed. Lots of things changing. Few observations:

Chevrolet: Stop all models & launch new models including new Beat & Travera. Other models simply shut down including Sail twins, Enjoy & Cruze. Launch Spin ASAP with very aggressive price and good features.

Datsun: Doing better than I thought. But surely has no future unless they make some good cars.

Fiat: Maintaining their exclusivity in the market. Sad to see Linea numbers. Its a damn good car.

Ford: Good numbers for Aspire as it is in its first month. I guess this will be highest numbers for them, lets see how it goes. Ford EcoSport is down now after S-cross and Creta launch, will go further down only. Rest nothing.

Honda: Amaze is flat now. Brio doing as usual, nothing to note. City numbers going down is very alarming for Honda. With new Ciaz SHVS, it has tough competition now. Surely Creta & S-cross will eat City numbers, no doubt in that. Mobilio is dead duck now, pricing and bad interiors let it down. Jazz done good numbers but don't see it going anything near to i20 Elite.

Hyundai: Best month for them. Great numbers for i20, i10 Grand and Creta. Xcent, Verna, old i10 and Eon are struggling now. With entry of Kwid, Eon will struggle more. Verna will soon go down more as they have Creta to eat its numbers.

Mahindra: Business as usual except Bolero numbers. Poor economy in rural area to be blamed for poor numbers here. Good numbers for XUV & Scorpio. With TUV launch I am sure Mahindra will be number 3 next month.

Nissan-Renault: Alarming bells for both of them. Both Duster & Terrano down like anything. Dream run is over for them for sure. Lodgy is down like anything, surely shock for them. It deserve more numbers I guess. For Nissan, only Micra doing some business. For Sunny, sunny days are gone now.

Skoda-VW: Skoda doing business as usual. Nothing great but nothing bad as well. For VW, only Polo doing some respectable numbers.

Toyota: Same story again. But Fortuner numbers are down somehow, not sure why. Innova doing as usual & Toyota mainly surviving on taxi business for Etios.

Tata: Cheer up Tata, you can do better for sure. Zest numbers are up, I am happy for that. Nano doing ok but can do much better.

Maruti: Just great numbers. All doing great except Ritz. Ertiga is down so I guess new model is near launch, may be this month end only or early next month to catch the festive season. Good numbers for s-cross as well.

Overall good month for Indian auto industry. Hope next few months will be better for them
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I suppose in the long term Maruti wants to build a premium image so that it can sell more expensive cars (whose buyers, Maruti perhaps thinks, don't want to hobnob with Alto-800 and Wagon-R customers), and they decided to make a start in this way. But is this a sensible long-term decision or is it just some misguided pop-psychology theory from some MBA in their ranks?
Think about it this way - If S-Cross is sold in regular MS showrooms, there is direct comparison possible, right in the showroom itself, between Swift, Ertiga and the S-Cross. What if a S-Cross customer who comes to the showroom, strikes off all the niceties that the S-Cross offers from his list (say, rain sensing wipers!) and considers Swift as VFM and picks it?!
Mango people (Aam aadmi) with a lot of money will find Ertiga more VFM than S-Cross. S-Cross is offered with a superior engine, but to carry along old parents, it isn't useful right? Nexa will avoid all these!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:42   #41
BHPian

Fortuner losing ~500 units MoM is unexpected. Maybe it was because of the news and reviews of the Ford Endeavor. Maybe word got out that the new Fortuner is coming the next year. The news of the Chevrolet Trailblazer could have also had something to with this or did people actually realize the fortuner costs 70% more that what it did during launch (only talking of the 4x4 MT) ?

Really happy looking at the Ford Figo Aspire numbers. It is a great product overall and deserves this and some more.

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross managed to almost triple its numbers, but the real test is once all the "pre-booked" backlogs are cleared. Then what? All though difficult it would be even more satisfying to know the breakup for the 1.3 & 1.6 MJD's.
Old 15th September 2015, 12:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It's not about the looks. It's about being the established brand. Today, customers trust Hyundai almost as much as Maruti. i20 is not looked in isolation to the brand. It offers hordes of features (which customers love), decent A.S.S., brand value and peace of mind when you see so many i20 on the road, which means you can't be going wrong.

Even if Jazz is much superior product, it will take time to establish itself before impacting i20 sales. (Previous Jazz was deemed failure in market).

If it was just about looks, Linea/Punto should have killed most competition by now.
That is why I have clearly stated that along with looks the serviceability is also an issue customers keep in their minds. This is the sole reason for the failure of the Fiat brand. Not to mention poor marketing. However look at the case of Honda City making a comeback in a diesel avatar with exactly the same diesel engine that is there in the Amaze and putting an end to the reign of the Verna which actually has a far superior engine with an automatic for its diesel. It reflects somewhere that the City is a far superior looker.
Old 15th September 2015, 13:01   #43
BHPian

The S cross' numbers are a revelation to me, I didn't think it would sell this much. I guess its a sign that the market is slowly but surely evolving or maybe its just the Maruti Suzuki effect.

Sad to see the Linea and Punto's plight, as a fiat owner it kinda hurts to see inferior cars do better numbers
Old 15th September 2015, 13:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
Wow the Big 3 numbers finally!!

Fortuner is among top losers of the month. I think this is the first time this has happened since it's launch in 2009. Looks like lot of people are waiting for the Endeavor.

Creta - Hats Off!!
SCross - Maruti, when will you learn to sell 10L+ vehicles?
S-cross sales have crossed 4000 units which is much more than Duster or Terrano in spite of the fact that they are only sold through NEXA dealership which is very limited in number. Also some variants of Ciaz are 10L+ which has sold about 5000 units.

So, MSIL is learning.
autobahnjpr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 13:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Honda's dream run post the i-DTEC Engine launch is showing signs of fatigue. It's going to be 1 Winning Horse (City) days unless something is done.

Where are the 5000 Aspires? Apart from the 2 ownership threads , I'm yet to see one customer car online or on-road. Guess most of them should be at Dealer yards.

Looking forward to see what the 600KG wonder K(W)ID from Renault can do the A-Segment in the coming months.
Closed Thread