Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th September 2015, 13:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Safari /Storme numbers havae almost halved. This is at a time a lot of people are facing 2 month long waiting period for some variants. This seems to be an extremely avoidable supply side issue. Tata Motors must get its act together . Safari/ Storme is bought by a dedicated band of loyal customers. Tata Motors must do everything in its power to keep these people happy.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:04   #47
BHPian

Have Chevrolet Spark and Ford Figo been discontinued ? Spark is 0 and Figo is 4 units.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Innova still sells more than Ertiga, Mobilio, Lodgy and Go put together. Thats testament to the risk averse nature of the Indian market, and the sheer solidity offered by the Innova. Glad I took this decision.
Please see sales numbers for past one year. Ertiga is best seller in the UV segment, slightly ahead of Innova. This is the only month it is down so much. It is due to new Ertiga getting launched very soon. May be Maruti has stopped the production of the old model and started manufacturing new model which will be launched very soon. Seeing the numbers, i guess launch is very near, may be early october to catch the festive season.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Have Chevrolet Spark and Ford Figo been discontinued ? Spark is 0 and Figo is 4 units.
Yes - Chevrolet discontinued Spark two months ago. Now Beat is their starting model.
Ford has discontinued Figo, Fiesta and Classic. However they will launch a refreshed Figo soon and it will be a hatchback version of Aspire.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
A point worth noting, is, the MPV trend. The sales of Ertiga, Mobilio, Xylo are all declining. We also see a lot of advertisements for Ertiga these days. Customers preferring Compact SUVs instead of MPVs?
Might be the effect of the upcoming Ertiga facelift as well? They have planned to make it a mini Innova with a big chrome grill and reflectors around the rear number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniketh View Post
Looks like Creta is having a upper hand on S-Cross.. Good news for Hyundai, as it has managed to beat Maruti here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
SCross - Maruti, when will you learn to sell 10L+ vehicles?
S-Cross is selling very well for a product having such a limited number of dealerships. For example, there are only two showrooms in the entire state of Kerala, which is an MS stronghold in terms of market share. There are seven Hyundai showrooms within a 20 kms radius of the city of Trivandrum, while the nearest NEXA showroom is 250 kms away!

But again, its still early days to comment authoritatively on the S-Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Jazz. The Jazz sells 5k+ numbers but i20 continues selling 10k+ numbers. So whose lunch did jazz grab in the process? Its own sister brand the City, which was selling 8k-9k month on month now sells just 5k+. What a tragedy for Honda. Surprisingly the Jazz is endowed with a far better performing pair of engines, provides a top class automatic that the i20 simply does not have, looks damn good (though many still say the i20 is the best looker) and hey, its a HONDA.
Even I had the same observation. City sales seems to have been affected by Jazz. And in a way, Jazz (specially in the diesel guise) offers everything City does, at almost 3-4 lakhs less in terms of on road price. The main advantage for the City is the sedan shape and the added boot space, but Jazz is not short on space and is quite a looker indeed.

Also City is coming under pressure from tough competition like the Creta, S-Cross, Ciaz etc.

Will be interesting to watch this battle for the next few months. I feel Jazz will be the best seller for Honda, and deservedly so!

Quote:
No need to worry a lot about Honda. Honda's plants are running over the capacity, and they can only produce this much.
If they ship out more Jazz, then they cannot deliver the City / Amaze in large numbers.
There have been several months of consistent 18k dispatches. However, it is 15655 units this month, which is 7% down YOY. So plants are not running at full capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8763 View Post
A3 Nos. missing too. Hope Aspire continues to sell well. It might replace my 2011 Verna next year.
Wouldn't that be a downgrade? Any reason to replace a Verna with the Aspire?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2015 at 14:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:32   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Though it seems downsizing Crazydriver , but no other engine to excite apart from 1.6 diesel in Hyundai portfolio (in Verna, Creta and Elantra). VW and Skoda ASS horrors strike them out my wishlist. 1.6 S Cross is not VFM in my opinion. Let's see how market unfolds in 9 - 10 months to shape my final decision.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
S-cross sales have crossed 4000 units which is much more than Duster or Terrano in spite of the fact that they are only sold through NEXA dealership which is very limited in number. Also some variants of Ciaz are 10L+ which has sold about 5000 units.

So, MSIL is learning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

S-Cross is selling very well for a product having such a limited number of dealerships. For example, there are only two showrooms in the entire state of Kerala, which is an MS stronghold in terms of market share. There are seven Hyundai showrooms within a 20 kms radius of the city of Trivandrum, while the nearest NEXA showroom is 250 kms away!

But again, its still early days to comment authoritatively on the S-Cross.

In a way Yes, But for a new product with so much of Advertising. It should have sold much more. If 4K numbers is what it can get during initial phase, it is only going to go down in few months. Even if new showrooms come up, S-CROSS would be old news by then.

I predict S-cross would sell in 1K region in a year time.
That said, it is very early days though, I might be wrong.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It's not about the looks. It's about being the established brand. Today, customers trust Hyundai almost as much as Maruti. i20 is not looked in isolation to the brand. It offers hordes of features (which customers love), decent A.S.S., brand value and peace of mind when you see so many i20 on the road, which means you can't be going wrong.

Even if Jazz is much superior product, it will take time to establish itself before impacting i20 sales. (Previous Jazz was deemed failure in market).

If it was just about looks, Linea/Punto should have killed most competition by now.
More than the looks, pricing and A.S.S is the most important criteria Indian customers would go for. These two factors are the main reason for the success of Hyundai and Maruti in India.
Old 15th September 2015, 15:15   #54
BANNED

Thanks for the charts and analysis. Especially for the Premium segment numbers.

The only thing I can't understand is the strategy of some manufacturers like GM, Fiat, Nissan and Renault

They already have the right models which I think will be a runaway success in India.

Look at Hyundai, They have shown the world time and again that itís not only cheap cars sell in India, That we donít mind the price if we get what should be given at the price (eg. I20, Creta to name a few)

Even Mercedes came back with a bang with fresh line up of cars.

For eg. Nissan, they think they can dominate the segment by selling a re-badged Duster which is already a re- badged Dacia at a higher price point. And the joke called Datsun (No offense owners), and too old micra,
They could have introduced many of their cars which I feel relevant to Indian market now, the likes of Nissan Note, Juke and Qashqai etc.

Same case with Fiat and GM too

Come on guys, Let the market be on fire, Let us be spoilt for choices, and donít allow only few manufacturers enjoy the top place and take the customers for granted

Asish
Old 15th September 2015, 15:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Strange are the ways of the market.
The topline seller in the B2 segment is the Hyundai i20 which grosses 10k+ numbers month on month for close to 6 months now. Tempted to conquer this segment, Honda brings in the brand new Jazz. The Jazz sells 5k+ numbers but i20 continues selling 10k+ numbers. So whose lunch did jazz grab in the process? Its own sister brand the City, which was selling 8k-9k month on month now sells just 5k+. What a tragedy for Honda. Surprisingly the Jazz is endowed with a far better performing pair of engines, provides a top class automatic that the i20 simply does not have, looks damn good (though many still say the i20 is the best looker) and hey, its a HONDA.
Very difficult indeed it is to gauge the mind of the customer. It is unbelievable that an i20 that has such a tepid petrol engine, a powerful diesel but with poor drivability (times taken to move from 20-80 in 3rd gear and 40-100 in 4th gear are miserable compared to a Honda Jazz) trumps the Jazz purely based on looks. Being a great looker is undoubtedly the top if not not one of the top 3 requirements to be able to sell well in the Indian markets. Until and unless you have a Shah Rukh Khan to plump for a Santro
the way he did in the late 90s!
You are surprised that i20 trumped Jazz? Actually, on the contrary, I'm surprised that Jazz is selling this well. The first gen Jazz was a big flop. It did not sell even in high-three digits. I thought Jazz II will be an even big flop, as is generally seen for second avatar of cars in India. Our market is very unforgiving and there are no second chances. But, to my surprise, born-again Jazz has bettered older Jazz tally by a several-fold increment. I think only Honda can pull this off. No other car has done well in its second re-incarnation? Octavia, Zen Estilo, Sumo Grande etc. come to mind.
Old 15th September 2015, 16:09   #56
BHPian

Hyundai crosses the 40k mark- attention to customer "touch" points works.
Creta goes past 7k mark is great start as well.

Sad to see the Bolero going below 5k mark. It still sells more than EcoSport, Duster and Terranno put together.
Bit disappointed with the TUV300, let us see how it does. More to come from M&M this year.
Old 15th September 2015, 16:19   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I don't see the numbers for A-Class, CLA and GLA though?
I'm pretty sure that A3 numbers are clubbed with the A4 and the CLA's with the C-Class. Will check.

Quote:
Think about it this way - If S-Cross is sold in regular Maruti showrooms, there is direct comparison possible, right in the showroom itself, between Swift, Ertiga and the S-Cross. What if a S-Cross customer who comes to the showroom, strikes off all the niceties that the S-Cross offers from his list (say, rain sensing wipers!) and considers Swift as VFM and picks it?!
Maruti doesn't mind cannibalisation as long as the customer remains in their showroom. Seen how many cars they have in the 3 - 6 lakh price band?

Nexa is Maruti foolishly trying to do a Lexus.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 16:26   #58
BHPian

Most eagerly waited thread of the month. Earlier it used to come within first 3 days, later on within a week , now after a long fortnight.

Nice addition to the present list , inclusion of luxury segment.

XUV is holding on well compared to others(Duster / Terrano / Ecosport / Scorpio), on the korean onslaught. Sad to see Duster fading away, I kind of liked its ruggedness & looks and feel it is the most capable offroader of that lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya2703 View Post
Bit disappointed with the TUV300, let us see how it does. More to come from M&M this year.
But TUV300 numbers are not out, I presume. Also it is very early to say.

Last edited by Vasuki : 15th September 2015 at 16:28.
Old 15th September 2015, 17:17   #59

The data actually throws a lot of insight especially to the first time buyers who prefer to go by numbers and availability of spares & resale etc. Though this applies to all the buyers it seeds a potential bias in the minds of the first time buyers. Itís a sad fact that many good cars go unnoticed in the mass market that is always ruled by Maruthi & Hyundai not to say that they do not offer good products.

Itís a known fact that the Europeans have never been able to crack the Indian customer. Could a good low entry car from a premium brand like say VW or a Skoda without suffering evident cost cuts change this? Only time will tell but little is left to be eaten for Manufacturers like Mitsubishi, Fiat, Chevy (Call it Chewy ) they have never been able to eat the Indian mind hence still chewing over it!! Renault may have a seller with the KWID but it again boils down to the AS&S. I presume TUV should definitely change fortunes for Mahindra with the KUV100 lined up as well. I must say they are sweating it out.
Sabrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 18:26   #60
BHPian

SUV segment picking up - With the entry of Creta the SUV segment has started to grow and it will only be going up from here because as of now there is no competition from the sedan segment as there aren't many good options or package as i would call it like a Honda City has with back seat experience which is what a sedan owner demands. So everyone would prefer a SUV to a sedan. The SUV segment is sure to double up in 6 months time from now with more launches from other brands. The Creta seems all set to rule for sometime atleast.

Sedan segment - will pick up once Maruti Suzuki will launch Ciaz with 1.6 DDis and Hyundai launches new Verna with better back seat space, believe me both of these will over shadow the Honda City as both are far better in terms of diesel engines and to some extent driveability too. Right now in terms of space only Ciaz is competing with City. On the other side the quality on the Honda City has dwindled from classy to downwords, also lot of niggles, so the day Ciaz has more capacity engine and Verna has new design with better or equal back seat experience, both will overshadow the City, till then the City will rule. All other sedans apart from Ciaz and Verna suffering because of brand value, re sale value, or resale value or lesser network or ASS apathies.

Premium Hatchback segment - The entry of Elite i20 has taken this segment leagues ahead. And with the launch of Jazz which I personally feel is a better built product than the City and almost similar space and features is a better package and certainly will keep doing about 4000 nos p/m on an average in the long run. And further with Maruti Suzuki having plans to launch their premium hatchback, this segment is only going to grow many folds.
Sayeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread