Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2015, 11:28   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Happy to see S-Cross doing around 4.5K units, that too with limited number of Nexa outlets. Hope this will continue and thus encourage Suzuki to bring in more models that are aligned to international standards.

Renault-Nissan numbers look miserable. Take out the Duster/Terrano twins and their combined business with rest of the models is less than the 3rd brand in the family - Datsun. The original models hardly sell, and the brand engineered models are also on a steep decline. And Lodgy! 271 units for what was touted as an Innova beater?
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 11:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nexa is Maruti foolishly trying to do a Lexus.
While it might sound foolish to do Nexa in current scenario & may not see huge success immediately, but taking a long term view, the way Indian market is maturing (albeit slowly), future product line from competition, number projections for 2020 etc, I think Maruti is doing the right thing, they need to crack premium side of market to maintain their market share.

Last edited by S.MJet : 16th September 2015 at 11:50.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:03   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
/Terrano twins
Terrano simply failed to sell. Even now, I do spot a new Duster or two, but not a new Terrano.

AWD might be one reason as I have spotted quite a few AWD's, much more than I hoped for, but still...

Lodgy has failed to take off.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:18   #79
BHPian

Most of the companies (barring MSIL) are not able to focus beyond 2 products at the most and the balance portfolio is left onto the mercy of customers

- Ford (Ecosport & Aspire)
- Hyundai (Creta & Elite i20)
- Honda (City & Jazz)
- Mahindra (XUV 500 & TUV 300 now)
- Toyota (Fortuner & Innova)
- Renault (Duster & Kwid now)
- Tata (Zest & Safari)
- Skoda (Octavia & Superb)
- VW (Polo & Vento)
- Fiat (None - Abarth may be!)

And the balance are practically peripatetic with no real focus on the market. It seems that the most of the players in India are at 5% and below market cap and thus their bandwidth for up keeping of multiple products is limited.

Whereas in regions where the 5% and below players are operating at higher market cap, they are for sure focusing on multiple products covering several segments. Chevy, Toyota, VW could be considered as example in several geographies.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 15:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

@ Aditya

The surprise was a very pleasant one.
So much for arrogance on BMWs and the shipment of its "bread & butter" over priced 3 is a paltry sub 150 nos.

Back to the segment players

The Surprise Pack:

Creta:
Wow. So much for people going for the Creta.
In spite of the fact that the Creta is grossly overpriced, the sales does not buckle the sentiment.

No wonder, Hyundai have a product mix that has a higher margin compared to even some of more accomplished global players.

I explored the Creta and other than the fact that it is costlier than anticipated, could not really find a point to actually bicker around.
Its imposing, stylish and modern at the same time.

Jazz:
Saw the first Jazz in Mumbai today since its launch almost 3-4 months back.
Am surprised that it has clocked 5K sales.
Is it not being driven by the metros then?

Honestly, I wasnt too excited with the cross between the Mobilio and the erstwhile Jazz.

Is it only me? I would prefer the no nonsense timeless 1st Gen Jazz anytime.

S Cross:

4.5K Sales?
Seriously?
I couldnt believe it. Have seen just one Cross in the whole of Thane yet.
The brand sells, Period.

Aspire:

Much anticipated aka Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
And like the film, happens to be a super hit.

Question is, can Ford handle this success.
In the case of the Figo, initial year had been productive.

then, the product simply faded.

The EXPECTED Failures

Lodgy
#Step away. #Good riddance. #What a name.

Enough said. Step away.
Fly off. Good car. What else? Nothing.

Terrano
The Duster will continue to overshadow this better looking variant.

Verna

Hyundai doesn't care.
Its getting long in the tooth.Facelift notwithstanding.

THE USUAL LAGGARDS
This list is so mundane that its boring.
Couple of Fiats(infact their entire two car range)
The GM fraternity
Renault barring Duster.
Nissan practically the complete portfolio.

Outlook

The outlook for the toppers seems bright.
Maruti has the hybrid to boast of.

Hyundai are doing well and Creta has hit the sweet spot.
i20 is a deservedly show stopper and most of the their cars are doing well.

Honda.
They need to rethink. I am of the firm opinion that the Jazz nos. may not be sustainable in the longer run.
City will be affected with cross overs andlead to loss of margins.

Mahindra.
TUV is promising.
The reviews are good and the "tank" is all set for a good opening.
High time to give us a Verito replacement.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 08:39. Reason: Arnab, let's leave the Creta name jokes please. Thanks!
arnabchak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 15:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
The Surprise Pack:

Creta:
[/b]Wow. So much for people going for the (ex) Creta.
In spite of the fact that the Creta is grossly overpriced, the sales does not buckle the sentiment.

No wonder, Hyundai have a product mix that has a higher margin compared to even some of more accomplished global players.

I explored the Creta and other than the fact that it is costlier than anticipated, could not really find a point to actually bicker around.
Its imposing, stylish and modern at the same time.
Yes, at launch, I also thought that it is overpriced. But then I have been seeing a lot of Cretas on the road since its launch, so the numbers are not a big surprise. Hyundai seems to have got the formula right on this one. On the other hand, I have seen hardly 2-3 Jazz and just 1 Aspire till date. So I'm a little apprehensive if Jazz and Aspire can hold up the numbers in coming months, but would be happy to be proven wrong. Looking forward to the new Figo.
JonSnow is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 17:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I am checking the monthly sales thread after a loong time and my jaws dropped to see that antique box called Wagon R is still selling close to 15000 copies per month!. We Indians are sure crazy about Maruti.
There are few vehicles that put function over form and are blockbusters.
Leave the boxy vehicles alone.

I'm a big fan.
drsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 18:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

Honda.
They need to rethink. I am of the firm opinion that the Jazz nos. may not be sustainable in the longer run.
City will be affected with cross overs andlead to loss of margins.

+1.
Jazz numbers will come down, in a few months, as Hyundai already has an established winner in Elite i20, which continues to have a long waiting list. Many would rather wait for an i20, rather than buy a Jazz.
Having an AT box is one USP for Jazz. But Polo GT TSI is not far away.
As known already, B2 segment is crowded, and due to that, Jazz sales will be down and probably stabilize around 2K-3K units per month. We need to see where it stands after 6 months.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 18:49   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Having an AT box is one USP for Jazz. But Polo GT TSI is not far away.
OTR for the top end Jazz V CVT in Bangalore is 9.66L while compared to GT TSi which is 10.36L. I think there is a substantial difference for both to co-exist. Jazz brings more space and value to the table, while GT brings more quality and technology at a higher price.

Diesels are more closely priced with the top end VX priced at 10.57L OTR Bangalore compared to 10.36L for GT TDi.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 20:00   #85
BHPian

Chevrolet
They need to get rid of all their lame Chinese offerings, and concentrate on brand building. They've fallen off the radar. Without building a new image, no product is going to sell.

Ford
I see good times ahead for Ford with the Aspire having done well, and the Figo's launch just around the corner. The Ecosport, despite fresh new competition, remains steady. It's the right product at the right price.

Honda
They've maintained their No 3 position, but they're going to have rethink. The Jazz will settle at the 4-5 k level. The City, though threatened by the Creta and S-Cross, remains at the top of the sedan segment. But nothing else is selling. The Brio and Mobilio are duds, and the Amaze is bound to decline further.
What they really need is some zing in their line up, to take us back to the days when Honda meant fast, fun and reliable.
IMO, discontinue the Brio, facelift the Amaze and Mobilio ( so that they cease to be such embarrassments ) and bring in the Accord and Civic.
The new Civic is a stunner, and if launched with a diesel, can work wonders.

Hyundai
Hyundai knows and understands the Indian car market, and their sales figures are a clear reflection of that fact. The Creta is a super hit, and the i10/i20 duo is doing great.
But I'd rather have my Grand i10 with a stronger bodyshell rather than with a cooled glovebox and rear ac vents.

Mahindra
Except for the XUV500 and Bolero, their line up is full of laggards. The upcoming TUV300 is one to watch out for.

Maruti
The S-Cross at 4k units is a real surprise. I don't think it'll sustain those numbers, given it's hatchback-esque styling and our obsession with SUVs. Quite a pity, because it's a great car.

Renault
The Duster is feeling the heat, and the Lodgy at 271 units is a real shocker for a car that was touted as an Innova-beater. It's the failure of the manufacturer, not the product. Their sales and promotions leave much to be desired. Maruti/Hyundai would've easily sold at least 4-5k units of the same car.

Premium cars
Audi must have clubbed the numbers for the A3 and A4, because I see no reason why the A4 should outsell the 3 and the C, both of which are far better.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 21:03   #86
BHPian

Nano seems to doing ok at about 1.8~2K mark.

Its a pity that the only entry into the top 20 from Tata is still Indica/Vista!

The Bolt and Zest seems to be making slow upward crawl, not sure if that will last long. Me thinks its time for Tata to start planning for a Facelift for both soon.

Fiat twins plunge, cant understand what exactly is wrong with them. FCA doesn't even have 5% of the enthusiasm that the Sales folk or the Fiat loyalists have. Well, hope the keep floating around the market for the next decade or so, coz one of the 678 EVOs they sold in July was mine

IMO Fiat needs to sell the EVO only with the 90HP motor standard, sans the Lag and the T-Jet. The Linea deserves the 1.6MJD and the 1.4 Tjet at a higher tune.

Chevy had a good chance with the Sonic twins 2 years back, they screwed it up with the stupid Sails. Now even the once uber cool Beat seems outdated! The fact that they are still selling the Spark itself is a shame. Tavera seems to be chugging along ok, I have seen atleast 20 + spanking new Tavera in my office fleet. The Tavera has an indestructible feel to it, but sadly wont work in the personal car space.

Ciaz picking up ok, the SVHS will add few more to the numbers i guess.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 08:33.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 21:04   #87
BHPian

What a decent Auto tranny would have done to the S-Cross! While the initial euphoria subsides, its a wait and watch for steady numbers. The Creta seems to have taken off some sheen out of a cars/SUVs a little above and a little below. Moving average for the Fortuner is going down, while the Corolla is not getting due respect (missing D auto?). Just watching the D segment for a few months, not much traction there, the Octavia doing decent numbers, but there is a flip flop with the Jetta. Luxury segment is the new kid on the block. India shining?
Old 16th September 2015, 21:38   #88
BHPian

These initial numbers for Creta/S Cross/Aspire don't tell the correct story as most of them would be shipments to the dealers. How many of them have landed with the actual owners is yet to be ascertained. Probably 2-3 months down the line we would be getting a clear picture.

But all three are showing tremendous promise. All the best to the manufacturers.

Also looking forward to the refreshed Ecosport and the new Maruti hatch, both of which are around the corner.
Old 16th September 2015, 21:43   #89
BHPian

Surprising to see Ritz sales drop by a large margin, while the Swift sales are huge. They both have the same engine options & are available in same trims. Ritz is cheaper and more practical with more space. I just hope MSIL doesn't stop selling the Ritz based on the sales figures, I bought mine 5 years back and plan to keep it for 5 more! Its a brilliant machine.
Old 16th September 2015, 21:48   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Surprising to see Ritz sales drop by a large margin, while the Swift sales are huge. They both have the same engine options & are available in same trims. Ritz is cheaper and more practical with more space. I just hope MSIL doesn't stop selling the Ritz based on the sales figures, I bought mine 5 years back and plan to keep it for 5 more! Its a brilliant machine.
Even more surprising is the fact that Zest and Bolt share same engine/ architecture and they are a lot more better.
I kept my Indica for 2.8 lakh km and 10 years. As hassle free as cars come. In between, I bought a Maruti and a Hyundai.

When I shopped again, for a CS, I tried Maruti and test drove Hyundai. I settled for a zestful car.

As of now, 2 services and 20000 km later, I wouldn't even try other cars in the league.

Last edited by simplyself : 16th September 2015 at 21:54.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread