Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th September 2015, 10:36   #16
BHPian

One question - what would have happened if any of the cars eligible for this recall had met with an accident and resulted in fatal injuries to humans due to the faulty airbags? Can we get a recall/restore for human morbidity & mortality too?
I don't understand how in the first place can manufacturers get a thing concerned with safety wrong? I have come across few recalls concerning faulty brake line,cylinder etc. So,we pay our money,get a car,but drive without knowing the brake might fail/work less effectively,airbags may not come up etc !!
After all,these things are not for just luxury or customer satisfaction but human lives right?
It's like manufacturing unsterile surgical equipments ,supply it and then issue a recall to all hospitals regarding replacement.
Is the condition similar in western countries too? Or what are the consequences the company has to face legally in such case in western countries?
printh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

I am yet to find a person who has confirmed that his/ her car has been called for Airbags replacement when they provide the VIN on that Honda Link. Till now, everyone is reporting "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable". On one hand the news reports says lacs of vehicle to be recalled and on the other hand, whoever has tried entering the details is getting the same message (as under quotes above).
Animesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 12:06   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I am yet to find a person who has confirmed that his/ her car has been called for Airbags replacement when they provide the VIN on that Honda Link. Till now, everyone is reporting "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable". On one hand the news reports says lacs of vehicle to be recalled and on the other hand, whoever has tried entering the details is getting the same message (as under quotes above).

Exactly, on a group as large as this, has anyone found their Honda cars eligible for this recall yet? If not, has anyone dealt with recalls before?

Should we call our dealers up to check? Will they be truthful/forthcoming with help on this?

We bought our Jazz in May, 2013, so don't really know when it was manufactured. VIN returns the stock answer that the recall is not applicable (happy about that for now).

Air-bags is not an issue to be trifled with...
esskay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 12:37   #19

I checked for my 2011 Honda City and here is what the website says: "Driver Side Airbag Inflator replacement is applicable in your vehicle - kindly provide the following information & our dealership will contact you after 12th October, 2015".

The website is requesting for additional details like Address, contact number, dealer preference, etc. I thought it is better to get in touch with my dealer than provide the details. Will call my trusted SA at Sundaram Honda in Chennai today.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 17:25. Reason: Honda City, not ANHC. No acronyms please
iVtec is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 12:59   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

So, here I am. My Civic has been recalled for both driver side and passenger side airbag inflator replacement.

Good on part of Honda to issue a recall while they could have kept quiet esp. in a country like India. However, I'll reserve my comments until the actual replacement is done. I have provided my information on the micro site. According to it, I will be contacted after 12th october2015.

Will keep you guys updated. Hope all goes down well.

Regards,
Saket.
Attached Images

Last edited by saket77 : 19th September 2015 at 13:00.
saket77 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 13:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

My 2010 City got the all clear from Honda's website. 2 more of my friends City's also have got the clear.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

My Civic has been listed as needing for recall. The site took down details like Name, address, phone etc and preferred dealer. It's for driver and passenger air bag.I got a reference no too.

Name:  No.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  11.1 KB

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th September 2015 at 13:55.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 14:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My Civic has been listed as needing for recall. The site took down details like Name, address, phone etc and preferred dealer. It's for driver and passenger air bag.I got a reference no too.

Attachment 1416770
I too have received the reference number. Now, about 55K Civics have been recalled. I am sure that is a fat percentage of the total Civics on Indian roads. My calculated guess is it could be as high as ~35% of totals Civics. So I expect more recall updates from BHPians.

Anyone has any idea that how long an inflator replacement job should take? Is it doable in a day's time or will we have to leave the vehicle at HASS?

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 19th September 2015 at 14:18.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 14:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I too have received the reference number. Now, about 55K Civics have been recalled. I am sure that is a fat percentage of the total Civics on Indian roads. My calculated guess is it could be as high as ~35% of totals Civics. So I expect more recall updates from BHPians.

Anyone has any idea that how long an inflator replacement job should take? Is it doable in a day's time or will we have to leave the vehicle at HASS?

Thanks!
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...l-removal.html

I think it might be a day or two job.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 15:24   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good strategy . Notice how most of these recalls are *magically* released on Friday evenings. Reason = lesser people catch them on the news. The traffic on websites is also significantly lower on weekends.

Just ran my 2007 Civic's VIN and it says:

Quote:
Product update in your vehicle is not applicable.
This is the 2nd time that one of my models was recalled, but my car wasn't part of it (first was the Nissan Sunny). Going to try getting information as to why not.

I appreciate the gesture of recalls and welcome them with open arms. Equally, it's a bit upsetting to spend extra money on life-saving features, only to hear a recall on them 8 years down the line. I hope none of the owners found out about their defective airbags the hard way.

At the very least, manufacturers can take a *little* more care with life-saving devices?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 15:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

A colleague's 2009 City has been affected by the recall. He did put the car's VIN in Honda's database, and was intimated about a faulty Driver Side airbag inflator. So looks like those who have received "Product update not applicable" might not be affected under the recalled batches.

Another colleague has just reported a not applicable message. Only time will tell whether this is a bug or majority of the cars do not fall under the recall bracket.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:16   #27
BHPian

Mine is 2009 Honda City, has already recalled for faulty engine valve few years back, and now this comes.
So it will be second recall for my car if it will fall under need to change the faulty airbags!!
My Figo has been recalled too for the faulty rear suspension thing but it was found OK in my car so no need to change it that time.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 17:27. Reason: Honda City, not ANHC. No acronyms please
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:29   #28
BHPian

Mine is 20007 Honda Civic SAT and it is included in the recall. Got the reference number as well from Honda India website.
civic-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

yesterday when I ran a check of my civic's chassis ID in the Honda micro site, it said 'Product update not applicable'. Just ran now again, and it says 'Driver side airbag inflator replacement is applicable for your vechicle...". Appears like, their database is being updated with newer entries today.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 17:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

If it is a faulty product, solely attributable to that particular vendor's manufacturing process, then the vendor has to take the blame. And then Honda needs to take a relook at their vendor selection and quality systems. Honda is to be fully blamed, if they had gone for a lower cost based selection of parts as adopted by many a Public Sector Companies. I remember an issue with a radiator purchase for Maruti cars, wherein the Government of India wanted to take disciplinary proceedings against the then MD of Maruti Udyog, for going in for a quality product over a bidder whose offer was the lowest.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th September 2015 at 17:50.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote