Senior - BHPian

Default ARAI to test Volkswagen cars in India for emissions

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49173406.cms

On road Volkswagen cars will be tested by ARAI
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 14:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: ARAI to test Volkswagen cars in India for emissions

The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) is planning to carry out test on Volkswagen cars to determine if any emission norms are being flouted. For this, the organisation will pick up samples of Volkswagen vehicles that are already in use, with the consent of the owners. This is for the first time such an exercise is being carried out.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Folk's wagen or bogus wagen?!

From what I understand of the issue, the car's ECU has a cheat device which can detect when the car is being tested in lab like conditions, and can turn some of the anti pollution devices on, which remain off during normal usage. So, they have to be tested under day to day use.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 15:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) is planning to carry out test on Volkswagen cars to determine if any emission norms are being flouted. For this, the organisation will pick up samples of Volkswagen vehicles that are already in use, with the consent of the owners. This is for the first time such an exercise is being carried out.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Very good initiative.
Not trying to defend VW in any way. But ARAI should continue to do random sampling of all models across manufacturers.
freedom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 15:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hope they collect my Vento and declare its not road worthy! They should do it on both Petrol and Diesel.

But looking at how the tests were done during road use in U.S, I hope ARAI has the right equipment to do this on road and not in labs.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Folk's wagen or bogus wagen?!

From what I understand of the issue, the car's ECU has a cheat device which can detect when the car is being tested in lab like conditions, and can turn some of the anti pollution devices on, which remain off during normal usage. So, they have to be tested under day to day use.
This puts a serious question mark on the credibility of Volkswagen as a brand. If they can cheat the authorities like this, they can very easily take the customers for a ride.

I can understand, if there is any genuine manufacturing defect during the assembly process or in some components, but this looks to be an intentional excersize which cannot be ignored so easily.
vinit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 15:53   #7
BHPian

ARAI, what a joke. I'm sure VW vehicles on the road are far more road-worthy than our fume emitting trucks and autorickshaws. They can't do anything about these unions, so VW is easy picking.
hellmet is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 15:56   #8
BHPian

What would really be bad for VW India is being caught cheating on the very low bar of BS4 norms set by the GOI. If VW cars flunk even this, then the "das auto" joke making the rounds on Whatsapp would sadly turn out to be true.

On the plus side for VW, if they do get caught cheating they will probably get away with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist. They only have to point at GM India. I don't think that GM really felt any pain when they were exposed as cheaters.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 16:00   #9
BHPian

I have a 2012 Jetta and still awaiting news whether my car is included in the list. If VW comes up with a solution, and if it affects the F.E or the power (most likely the power), can we sue VW for it? As it is, VW prices the Jetta at a premium and now this recall (maybe). It might affect the resale value (a double whammy as the current resale itself is not good). Its one thing that there are others that maybe more polluting than VW cars, but its another thing to "cheat" on emission tests. VW is caught with its pant down. And I hope GOI is strict with VW and sets an example (which I am not so confident about).

Last edited by shivasuma : 1st October 2015 at 16:02.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 16:05   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2015 at 12:50.
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st October 2015, 17:27   #11
BHPian

I agree that ARAI should do testing under real world conditions for all cars and not just do a test bed / ideal condition test . It would be interesting to see how the results compare between global and local car manufacturers.

Why not Ashok Leyland, Force motors, Tata, Mahindra and Maruti? the conspiracist inside me is setting off multiple alarms.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2015 at 12:51. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 18:33   #12
BHPian

It seems more car manufacturers are going to be coming under the scanner, and this list may include Mercedes, BMW, Mazda, Fiat, Ford and Peugeot.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49158191.cms
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 19:12   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to give the erring manufacturer a free pass, but VW's emission cheat is irrelevant to Indian conditions. They barely manage to sell a handful (by automotive market standards) of vehicles in India anyway, and we have much bigger fish to fry if we're really serious about 'pollution control', which I doubt.

Makes me feel like everytime a traffic cop wastes my time demanding PUC while a smoke-belching, pre-historic contraption overloaded to axle-breaking capacity breezes by without question.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 02:45   #14
BHPian

Default Re: ARAI to test Volkswagen cars in India for emissions

incidents like this give the Green Tribunal more ammunition to fight against diesel vehicles on the road, 15 year of active life or not. In the US where this issues surfaces the fraction of Diesel cars is not much. Its a Gasoline nation, and quite rightly so. Irrespective of how much tech you put in, the D cars have a bigger issue with pollution. VW is one point in case that has been caught, others might follow suit. I am not sure if there will be a blanket ban on sales if these real world tests prove anything substantial. You can'nt really sue the company for any loss in FE even if they release the correction/patch to the software. The quoted FE always has the clause that its under ideal test conditions, FE always is subjective. If the govt really finds something then a recall is inevitable, atleast the announcement of a recall is. But what is the long term effect on the market for D cars, not restricted only to VW. Just because others are not caught does not mean they are clean, they could be, could be not. This on the road test is just a way to prove some action on behalf of the govt. Its like the Maggie test, within govt labs across states they were not able to come to a consensus if Maggie was good or bad, so I am not hopeful if these on road test will really reveal anything useful. What govt needs is not witch hunting, but a relook on Diesel pricing, and making Gasoline cars more attractive. Now that is a different thread of discussion.
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARAI to test Volkswagen cars in India for emissions

Imo, Arai should do a real world test not only for VW, but for all other cars like Maruti and Hyundai. If it happened in USA, there is a real chance that it will happen more in India. We know how companies trying all their possibilities to circumvent the rules of 4m and ground clearance. We read a lot about how the claimed mileage of i10 defers from the actual mileage.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote