Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th October 2015, 19:39   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhro1988 View Post
Volkswagen directs dealers not to sell popular hatchback Polo in India
They have asked to stop 'physically delivery', not the sell.

This seems to be to be for preparation of upcoming festival season offers and variants and not due to the recent controversies.

according to the source in your post:

"In a letter addressed to its dealers, Volkswagen has directed them not to "physically deliver" any Polo vehicle."

"VW clarified that it had nothing to do with the recent controversy surrounding VW over a software that was capable of cheating emission tests."

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th October 2015 at 19:40.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
"Stop all physical deliveries" would mean - continue to accept new orders, offer TD and do marketing as usual, but do not hand over the car to the customer. ... ... ...
But, nobody is actually going to buy one in those circumstances. Bookings are going to be 100% dead, and people are going to wonder about other models.

To do this in this way, is so unutterably stupid, it seems to be below the intelligence of even marketing men. Unless they want to loose another market?

They may have thinking that the communication would not be leaked. Idiots.

Edit... Lousy post timing by me. Crossposted with previous, so it is not such a mystery any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official statement released by Volkswagen India:

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th October 2015 at 19:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Considering that the Polo is the last model that was updated very recently, I don't see any other reason for this unexpected directive. My money is on a part that is used just about at all time during the usage of the car, like the engine, or the steering, or the brakes, or the battery perhaps. Something that can cause immediate & irreversible damage, if not contained immediately! Rotten year for VW, IMO.
Vento & Rapid continue as usual. The notice only mentions Polo. The parts you mentioned are shared so it must be something pertaining only to the Polo.

We should also expect a recall of the recent batch already delivered, if they are intending to rectify something before delivery of Polo's in dealer yard.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:47   #34
BHPian

The official confirmation is good. But I think it still leaves some room for speculation. They have not mentioned production period for impacted cars, they have not spelt out the issue and whether cars already delivered falls in this category.

Hope, dealers have received detailed communication and they can answers the questions of customers waiting for delivery and owners who have taken delivery in the recent past
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:52   #35
BHPian

Germans are the new Chinese I guess.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:54   #36
SLK
Senior - BHPian

All are being a bit jumpy here, this shouldn't be a big issue. At least its not related to pollution, otherwise there is no way Vento continues to be physically delivered.

Its definitely not a DSG issue, else why would they stop the bread+butter polo.

If its not pollution, then its some mechanical issue, could be the rear glass (known), could be suspension related or airbag or some other thing, but not something which questions the existence the car.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:55   #37
BHPian

If VW already know that it's technical and not related to EA 189 engine then why not spill out the details. It could be that they are still working on it and perhaps VW trying to be pro-active to avoid another scandal. But, one thing is for sure with that latest statement, it's newer Polo lots which seems to be effected otherwise why stop new car deliveries? As a new TSI car owner, I am definitely worried. Hope you have not deliberately cheated your customers again VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Hope, dealers have received detailed communication and they can answers the questions of customers waiting for delivery and owners who have taken delivery in the recent past
Negative. I just spoke to my SA. They are as clueless as we are, he says by tomorrow this time they will have much clarity.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 19:55   #38
BHPian

I'm taking a safe guess that 2014 Polos are not affected by this circular. Nonetheless, I'll call the Navi Mumbai dealership tomorrow and seek more clarity on this. Don't want to leave any lingering doubts on my mind about my car.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:33   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
All are being a bit jumpy here, this shouldn't be a big issue. ... ... ...
It's a huge issue.

Recent buyers are worried.

Those about to buy wont. Or will, at least, postpone.

It might not have been such a big issue if all the information had come out at once. The way that it has, especially in the current VW climate, it's hard to think of anything worse. Or worse handled.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a huge issue.

Recent buyers are worried.

Those about to buy wont. Or will, at least, postpone.

It might not have been such a big issue if all the information had come out at once. The way that it has, especially in the current VW climate, it's hard to think of anything worse. Or worse handled.
Agree, the PR at VW India need to learn how to disseminate news knowing fully well that the company's reputation is perhaps at an all-time low! The big question is why is information coming in trickles. Transparency will go a long way in repairing the lost faith in the brand.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even I am confused with the "physical" deliveries part. Does it mean "mental" deliveries are allowed and the buyer has to imagine he is receiving delivery of his new Polo from now on?
That's exactly what I felt reading it, it looks like a circular issued in a hurry & worded such that its clear to the dealers to not deliver vehicles to customers. Delivery is usually of a tangible object, in this case certainly a tangible object (car) so the word physical is redundant.

Also one can speculate any which way but I suppose only VW knows the truth here, it might be for a small niggle that can be set right in an hour or for something more which involves national regulation, who knows? Going by the number of threads of varied topics about VW here (and not for the right reasons) it seems someone at the top has really messed up big. Its gotten to a point that engineers acquire multiple masters degrees, Ph.D's & what not & same with the finance people & this over-education + decades of experience is only making them manipulate the truth than be honest and forth-right.. which would never put them in this mess. Even here I would guess a prospective Polo buyer would like to know what the issue is so that they can be at ease when its corrected from a future point.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:16   #42
BHPian

Takata Airbag type issue - Nope then Vento will be affected
DSG - Nope. Many other models use this.
Rear Windsheild - Possibility. But no car manufacturer will make this a news. They will do a recall and fix the issue.

Engine-Gear Box on Polo GT and Vento are similar. So its something other than this.

It has to be something to do with the body shell.

A wild guess ...
Documented length of Polo is 3970. Now adding 1.2 inch to length will take it over 4m mark!

What if VW gave a under 4m Polo for homologation, but the production car is 1 inch longer. Recent versions of Polo have an air dam/cornering lights etc. Quiet possible that the length of the bumper extended by 1".
freedom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
A wild guess ...
Documented length of Polo is 3970. Now adding 1.2 inch to length will take it over 4m mark!
Looks like it would be a recall affecting a batch of Polo's

Quote:
However, this isn’t as grave an issue as the dieselgate, neither is it even remotely related to it. The matter concerning the Polo is linked to a technical snag that affects only a certain batch of the hatchback. And as a precautionary measure, Volkswagen has directed its dealerships to temporarily suspend new car bookings till the issue is sorted out.

Furthermore, Volkswagen dealerships will continue delivering Polos that do not belong to the faulty batch.
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...ries/itemid-50
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even I am confused with the "physical" deliveries part. Does it mean "mental" deliveries are allowed and the buyer has to imagine he is receiving delivery of his new Polo from now on?
it means you can download a soft copy but you cant have the CD/DVD. A firmware update is coming to remove the cheat code lol

Last edited by castiel : 7th October 2015 at 21:33.
castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
it means you can download a soft copy but you cant have the CD/DVD. ... ... ...
Makes me think... can we still download a Polo for 3D printing at home?

But seriously, I think this "physical delivery" is just a case of never use one word when you could use two, three or more. Maximise the noise. All part of that modern-management garbage I'm always ranting about!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote