Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th October 2015, 21:55   #46
BHPian

Default re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even I am confused with the "physical" deliveries part. Does it mean "mental" deliveries are allowed and the buyer has to imagine he is receiving delivery of his new Polo from now on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Makes me think... can we still download a Polo for 3D printing at home?
Looks like they found something worth worrying about and sent it a real big hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I heard from VW service that some recent 2015 Polos had a rear windshield fitment issue which causes water to seep in as the glass is not sticked properly. The diagnosis is to push the glass from inside and see if it's moving. Not sure if the stop delivery notification is related to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
All are being a bit jumpy here, this shouldn't be a big issue. At least its not related to pollution, otherwise there is no way Vento continues to be physically delivered. Its definitely not a DSG issue, else why would they stop the bread+butter polo.
If its not pollution, then its some mechanical issue, could be the rear glass (known), could be suspension related or airbag or some other thing, but not something which questions the existence the car.
I think matters related to emission will take more time to surface thanks to the difference in statutory requirements from one country to another. This looks like a defect-detected-during-production situation.
pannags is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 22:22   #47
BHPian

Default re: VW directs dealers to stop physical delivery of Polo! EDIT: It's a handbrake issue

I was taking the delivery of the GT TSI in the next 2 weeks and now I have to postpone and wait. I hope its a minor issue which can be fixed ASAP. I really dont want to find another car to buy.
muditgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 23:27   #48

The use of the term 'physical delivery' means that they had their lawyer draw up that letter to the showrooms.. If lawyers are involved in the drafting of such communication, it might actually be something to wait and watch.. Meanwhile it's just anxious days ahead for present owners of the polo like me.. And there goes the resale value of the polo!
Tjax is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 23:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

OMG, dust hasn't yet settled on the cheat device scam and now we have this? What's wrong with VW these days? And the dealer circular states no reason. Not even a hint as to which part might have been affected. Is it something small or something really big? This brand is hitting new lows with each passing day. Of late, VW were not doing very well in India. This kind of negative publicity may spell doom for it in India.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 00:22   #50
BHPian

I don't think that there is any reason to freak out. Remember that only the deliveries of the POLO have been put on hold.
The Vento is based on the Polo right?

So I feel that a defect, if any, is likely to be related to the parts that are different in both the cars. So the major chances are that defect, if any, is limited to the rear hatch area.
fuelinmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 01:10   #51

My TSI is arriving this week and I was planning to go for PDI before registration. Now I am so confused. Still love the Polo TSI !
autovarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 01:18   #52

There are several articles on financial websites comparing VW with Enron. Some are calling this worse than Enron. The parent company might face upwards of 18 billion USD fines in US alone.

Hard to believe a 78 year old company could put itself in such a mess. When you have a damaged reputation, billions of potential regulatory fines and millions of people questioning your integrity, you better be honest and transparent with your PR. Hope they clear the air soon. One thing for sure, won't be a happy festive season for VW this year. Hope their India product plans are not affected in a big way due to the potential fines.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2015 at 10:12. Reason: Enorn > Enron
Chinmayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 01:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
The use of the term 'physical delivery' means that they had their lawyer draw up that letter to the showrooms.. If lawyers are involved in the drafting of such communication, it might actually be something to wait and watch.. Meanwhile it's just anxious days ahead for present owners of the polo like me.. And there goes the resale value of the polo!
Thanks. Yes, I can see how it could be legalese rather than management jargon, and, although legalese can get really bad, they do usually have precise meaning as a priority.

I'm biased because I have one, but it seems to me that the Polo has succeeded pretty well in India, and is set for a bright future, even if not a Maruti-challenging one. Actually, if it had been any other model from VW's range it would not have had much impact at all --- but, being VW's attempt on the Indian mass hatch market, it is a dangerous game if it slips up for them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 02:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Transparency will go a long way in repairing the lost faith in the brand.
I agree. It'd have been better to spill the beans upfront than creating concern over it.

In a perception driven market, such events simply don't inspire any confidence on the brand. Especially on the model that's selling the most numbers.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 05:48   #55
BHPian

Guess what, my SA from Volkswagen Lucknow called me up yesterday to inform me that my Polo GT TSi has reached their yard and I can go and check so that we can go ahead with the rest of the formalities. I was the one who broke this news to him and forwarded him the link to the ET article and a shot of the circular by VW. They were clueless at that point in time. I don't know if I should feel sad that my GT is going to wait at the yard till this gets sorted out or to feel happy that I a have been saved a potential disappointment after taking delivery. In the meantime the SA has not stopped me from checking the car out, I am sure that this might be sorted out sooner than we think.
VW engineers and executives must haven't had any sleep last night.
docsinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 06:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
There are several articles on financial websites comparing VW with Enorn. Some are calling this worse than Enorn. The parent company might face upwards of 18 billion USD fines in US alone.

I think you meant to say Enron. It went bankrupt in 2001.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 07:10   #57
Team-BHP Support

Some further clues: http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/1...0S117I20151007

"Technical issues" cited by VW for this non time-bound sales pause of the Polo.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 07:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Further news on the Polo,

Quote:
Few people in the know of the development said, the issue may be pertaining to a handbrake and it may have impacted a small lot of vehicles, probably in few hundreds, which were produced recently.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49257010.cms
volkman10 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 07:27   #59

I got a call from VW yesterday. They told me that as my car was a 1.5 TDI , the ECU has to be "reprogrammed". They said my chasis number has been identified as the car which has to be recalled.
They said they are doing this under goodwill. On asking further, the lady told me that it was something to do with the indicators on the instrument cluster. She obviously did not no much so I just booked a time for my visit to the workshop.
paddu is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 08:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
something to do with the indicators on the instrument cluster.
I wish there shouldn't be any cheat code to disable the cluster warning when there is a failure & the vehicle is in drive mode

Keep us updated on what is being done actually on the car.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote