Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th October 2015, 10:42   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport facelift launched at Rs. 6.79 lakh

Need advice from Ford EcoSport enthusiasts..
1)Noticed that at very slow motion usually at U turns or bends, the Diesel engine occasionally stalls in 2nd gear. Not sure whether it is due to my habit of losing the clutch soon or 1st gear should be used rather than the 2nd gear.
2)Sometimes when moving to the 2nd gear from the 1st gear, turbo kicks in and the car just runs ahead.
3) I have a habit of frequently upshifting and downshifting in city traffic to take advantage of space whenever available. Is this a good thing. Or i should avoid this as far as possible.
Old 29th October 2015, 12:33   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
1)Noticed that at very slow motion usually at U turns or bends, the Diesel engine occasionally stalls in 2nd gear. Not sure whether it is due to my habit of losing the clutch soon or 1st gear should be used rather than the 2nd gear.
Would you happen to know what the engine RPM is at these times, and has it fallen too low? If yes, then you might have to switch to the 1st gear. However, I think its just a matter of you getting used to the clutch (and the clutch to you!), since the diesel has good driveability and should not require downshifting in bends (however, U-turns might require a downshift if you need to wait for gaps in traffic).

Quote:
2)Sometimes when moving to the 2nd gear from the 1st gear, turbo kicks in and the car just runs ahead.
This might not be the same effect or reason, but the EcoSport's ECU has a bit of anti-stall behaviour built in... when the engine speed has dropped quite low and the engine is near stalling but the clutch is not pressed, the ECU slightly increases the engine RPM to avoid a stall, which results in a slight 'surge' feeling different from the turbo kick. I've felt this at times in my EcoSport, although now I'm used to it and downshift (or at least depress the clutch) in advance to prevent this feature kicking in.

Quote:
3) I have a habit of frequently upshifting and downshifting in city traffic to take advantage of space whenever available. Is this a good thing. Or i should avoid this as far as possible.
Nothing wrong in itself, and as long as these gear changes keep the engine in its happy spot, there's no problem. You might end up running in the gearbox quicker this way!

To be clear, there's no problem for the car in doing so. Ask your left knee if it has a different opinion
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:08   #168
BHPian

Post Re: Ford EcoSport facelift launched at Rs. 6.79 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Nothing wrong in itself, and as long as these gear changes keep the engine in its happy spot, there's no problem. You might end up running in the gearbox quicker this way!
Thanks a lot arunphilip..I think a lot of new ecosport owners would be thankful to you for your advice and quick response. I think it would be a better idea to avoid frequent upshifting as long as the rpm is below 2000 instead of focussing on hitting the sweet spot. That way i might find my left knee in a better shape !!!
dpkbehera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 20:27   #169
BHPian

Just went to the local Ford showroom to have a look at the facelifted ecosport, i was taken to their stockyard, and got a feel of the Titanium-O model. In addition to the changes mentioned above, the parcel tray has been changed from the previous model's retractable one to an ordinary fixed rigid parcel tray, like we see in other vehicles like swift. Whether it is good or bad, i think it is cost cutting.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:40   #170

So, I took the delivery of my 1.5 Petrol yesterday and have since driven around 75km in all sorts of traffic and on all sorts of roads.

I absolutely did not find it any different to any other good and refined petrol car, plenty of power available throughout the rev range and bottom end torque did not seem to be a problem in bumper to bumper traffic either. Its better than most hatchbacks on offer and some sedans as well.

Point to note is that I have always only driven petrol cars in my life, never had any long term association with any diesel engine so maybe that's why I feel right at home with this 1.5 Petrol in the Ecosport.

Breaking in rpm from around 2000 - 3000 is ok ?
d1vine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 12:41   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1vine View Post
So, I took the delivery of my 1.5 Petrol yesterday and have since driven around 75km in all sorts of traffic and on all sorts of roads.
Many congratulations on the EcoSport. I hope you've wrung the maximum offers you could out of your dealer.

I'm also happy to hear you're satisfied with the driveability of the 1.5P.

How about some exterior/interior pics, and maybe an ownership report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1vine View Post
Breaking in rpm from around 2000 - 3000 is ok?
Yep, that sounds fine. Its an NA petrol, so run it in like your previous cars. No special care needed.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:42   #172
BHPian

Hi fellow members. I saw this Ecosport being driven hard last Sunday on the Karnal-delhi highway. It was having a private registered number plate in white and not the red test car number plate. It had no rear mounted spare wheel. Is this available as an option? Didn't see this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport facelift launched at Rs. 6.79 lakh-1446279089846.jpg  

Ford EcoSport facelift launched at Rs. 6.79 lakh-1446279103830.jpg  

Old 31st October 2015, 13:54   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Just went to the local Ford showroom to have a look at the facelifted ecosport, ............ the parcel tray has been changed from the previous model's retractable one to an ordinary fixed rigid parcel tray,.......
The retractable device is only a sort of cover to hide stuff from prying eyes and not a tray. Being flexible, it does not serve as a parcel tray.
Quote:
This might not be the same effect or reason, but the EcoSport's ECU has a bit of anti-stall behaviour built in... ... I've felt this at times in my EcoSport, although now I'm used to it and downshift (or at least depress the clutch) in advance to prevent this feature kicking in.
I shift to neutral to avoid this ECU effect and this methodology has crept into my driving style of late. Is it OK or I need to avoid this habit.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st October 2015 at 14:02.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 23:08   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I shift to neutral to avoid this ECU effect and this methodology has crept into my driving style of late. Is it OK or I need to avoid this habit.
Mechanically, what you're doing is fine, there's no harm/wear to the car.

From a safety standpoint, however, it might be preferable to shift to a lower gear, or at least depress the clutch to avoid this surge instead of shifting into neutral. If you downshift or press your clutch and for whatever reason you need to suddenly move your car, you can just release your clutch and move immediately. On the other hand, getting out of neutral is comparatively slower, so you might be a sitting duck.

The times you will need to perform such a manoeuvre are rare (e.g. accelerate away from or drive around a potential accident), but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I saw this Ecosport ... It had no rear mounted spare wheel. Is this available as an option? Didn't see this before.
It's not an option available in India from Ford. However, there has been (at least) one other report of someone who's done away with the rear-mounted spare wheel and the mount itself, for a clean rear similar to your picture.

Internationally, the facelifted EcoSport that has been on sale in the UK since Jan 2015 has had the option of no spare on the rear. European markets detest vehicles with rear-mounted spares, and they also have regulations that allow for no spare to be provided (as long as the manufacturer provides a tire puncture repair kit). As a result, Ford dropped the rear-mounted spare in Europe-bound exports, but retained it in India since we prefer it, and they have no way of storing the tire within/beneath the car.

Last edited by arunphilip : 31st October 2015 at 23:13.
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 09:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

I am getting 60k discount over and above the lower list price on Titanium+ vs 30-35k discount on the new Titanium along with free 3rd year warranty on both.

The net difference between Titanium+ (old) 10.86 lakh OTR and Titanium (new) 10.6 lakh OTRA is coming out to be 25k. I am tempted to go for the new model for the extra horses. I don't care about signature lamps as I would be upgrading to Xenon no matter which model I buy.

What do you guys suggest. Is leather and 4 additional airbags worth sacrificing 10 additional horses in an already underpowered car?

Also should I look at S-Cross or Creta is spending close to 11 lakhs on EcoSport worth with newer cars like Baleno offering so much more value. Better half is convinced that EcoSport is the car for her. But I can convince her for Creta 1.4S or S-Cross 1.3. I loved driving the S-Cross (so mature handling/suspension) but I have a feeling S-Cross will go the SX4 way before being discontinued caz of its dated looks. And for Creta I find it overpriced by at least 1 lakh. Friends please advise.

Last edited by aseem : 1st November 2015 at 09:05.
Old 1st November 2015, 09:24   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Is leather and 4 additional airbags worth sacrificing 10 additional horses in an already underpowered car?
Your wife's comment makes me ask - is this a city car for use by her, and do you have a different vehicle for highway jaunts?

It if is only a city car, then going in for the new Titanium with 2 airbags is fine. If this will be your primary car with use on the highways, then despite the lower power, I'd recommend the old Titanium+ with 6 airbags, in the interest of additional safety.

You mention that the diesel is under-powered - in that case I'd strongly recommend you test drive both old and new diesels to see if there is a deal-breaking difference that swings you one way or the other.

Also, nothing wrong in cross-shopping - do consider either the Figo/Aspire cars, or other options like Baleno.

The Creta and S-Cross are both longer cars - they bring more space, but there's added length to manage. So this again goes back to my initial question about where will this be used.

Quote:
I have a Jetta 6 airbags as my primary car. This would still go on highway but that's part of our daily drive 10 km on Nh8.
OK, then please TD the old one first and then the new one to see if the difference in power is a deal-breaker for you.

Last edited by arunphilip : 1st November 2015 at 09:46.
Old 1st November 2015, 09:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

I have a Jetta 6 airbags as my primary car. This would still go on highway but that's part of our daily drive 10 km on Nh8.
Old 1st November 2015, 10:01   #178
BHPian

Quote:

What do you guys suggest. Is leather and 4 additional airbags worth sacrificing 10 additional horses in an already underpowered car?
The way I see it, you can always re-map for more power, but installing the missing 4 airbags will not be that easy, nay impossible. The dealer needs to sell off the odd stocks, see if you can push for more discounts citing that its the older model.

Last edited by batterylow : 1st November 2015 at 10:03. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 10:05   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it's for your wife, any reason you are looking at manual only and not any AT? Since you have a Jetta, why another diesel?

I'm just thinking why not the Figo AT?

If you have already decided on Ecosport, then the old Titanium+ is a very good choice. The extra 10BHP in the new one is easy to get in the old one but the 6 airbags and other features are not. A simple remap can take it above 100bhp after a year and you enjoy the extra safety.

Since you have a large car like the Jetta, the S-cross and Creta are pointless. The Creta is way too expensive at 16-17 lakhs for diesel 1.6. The 1.4 is too bare bones.

The S-cross 1.3L is a good package with the Zeta as VFM option but again you don't need the extra space so actually it's pointless. The Baleno with 75PS will actually be better as it's lighter than the S-cross DDiS200 and has all the features that S-cross has.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 10:10   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Your wife's comment makes me ask - is this a city car for use by her, and do you have a different vehicle for highway jaunts?

It if is only a city car, then going in for the new Titanium with 2 airbags is fine. If this will be your primary car with use on the highways, then despite the lower power, I'd recommend the old Titanium+ with 6 airbags, in the interest of additional safety.
My experience is that you are more likely to be a victim of side impact crash in city traffic, particularly at intersections. So 6 airbags is a must for city use.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread