Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th October 2015, 17:58   #16
BHPian

Default Re: September 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I have seen these monthly reports for many months.
The best part is that I continue to be impressed by the quality and clarity.

Rated 5 stars - I did not have a choice!

I am also impressed by the team's analysis.

Sometimes, I do not agree with some opinion. But - that is a rarity!

Keep it up....
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:31   #17
BHPian

Creta smashing through to the top and maintaining is amazing to see. High price? Definitely yes, but once again Hyundai proves why the right kind of quality, looks and marketing will go a long way in to the hearts of Indian buyers. The S-Cross in comparison shows lukewarm response.
aneezan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:34   #18
BHPian

In Japan, the entire country follows one mantra - 'if it's bad, accept it. Then fix it and then move on.'

In India though we just don't know when to stop flogging a dead horse. Just look at some of the single digit numbers for some cars for the past 12 months and its shocking to see them continue even now. Almost all manufacturers outside the top three have these.

Also, last month there were sales details on the luxury segment too. When would those be added?
Old 12th October 2015, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Have the Ertiga numbers been dropping because of the fact that the face lift is being launched on 13.10.2015 and nobody would like to buy an outgoing model in the last month before the face lift is launched?
Old 12th October 2015, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting month, signs of some improvement. Few cents from me:

Chevrolet: Almost dead company. Nothing exciting at all, god knows how dealers are surviving.

Datsun: Going down now. With Kwid's entry, I guess Go will soon become dead duck. Don't see any future for them in India with these cars.

Fiat: Do something Fiat, get some mass product to get some sales and people into showrooms.

Ford: Not surprised to see numbers. Aspire is down by 30% in second month only as expected. Hardly any dispatches for brand new Figo. EcoSport doing decent numbers but nothing great.

Honda: Amaze is surprise factor every now and then. Down 2 months & suddenly up in next. God knows what they do, really. Brio doing as usual, nothing to note. City numbers going down is very alarming for Honda. With new Ciaz SHVS, it has tough competition now. Surely Creta & S-cross are eating City numbers, no doubt in that. Mobilio is dead duck now, pricing and bad interiors let it down. Jazz going down too. Good numbers but don't see it going anything near to i20 Elite.

Hyundai: Best month for them, again, they are on a hat-trick now. Great numbers for i20, i10 Grand and Creta. Verna, old i10 and Eon are struggling now. With entry of Kwid, interesting to see how Eon will do.

Mahindra: Business as usual except Bolero numbers. Poor economy in rural area to be blamed here for poor numbers. Good numbers for XUV & Scorpio. TUV should bring them another 4-5 K per month I guess. Not sure why they are thinking of launching Quanto with facelift, they better market TUV more. Quanto is already flop and no point in spending time and money into it.

Nissan-Renault: Renault has done extremely well with Kwid's pricing. Hope they will deliver cars with quality and number. People can't wait for months, mind it. If they can't cash initial hype, they will struggle in long run. Others are down badly. With Creta & S-cross, Duster is dusted. Nissan is in big danger now, nothing is selling for them. God knows what is their next strategy. If they don't do anything immediately, they will lose the market, may be forever.

Skoda-VW: With cheating news coming for VW, it will be interesting to see how people reacts to that in coming months. I guess they will lose some numbers, surely. Skoda doing business as usual. Nothing great but nothing bad. They will also face heat.

Toyota: Same story again, but Fortuner numbers are down somehow by 20-30%, not sure why. Reason to worry for them, Creta effect? Corolla also tired now, will struggle more now I guess. These cars in this segment gets old pretty quickly, isn't it?

Tata: Improve your own A.S.S. ASAP please. Without that you can't sell cars, never. Current generation Safari, Nano, Zest etc. are all good cars and can do better numbers. Sadly your dealers can't do business. Do something, now !

Finally,

Maruti: Just great numbers Alto, Swift, Dzire & Wagon R needs standing ovation, they deserve it. Alto will not face much heat unless Renault ramp up production to more than 10 K cars per month, but surely they will lose some numbers. We can see Dzire new number one in coming months. New Ertiga will do 6 K + numbers if priced in line with current models pricing. Good numbers for s-cross as well. Hope they will do something for Ritz, may be new model altogether. Waiting for Baleno pricing now, I am sure they will not do mistake again what they did with S-cross 1.6 pricing.

Overall good month for Indian auto industry. Next month will be blockbuster for sure
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:16   #21
BHPian

I am saddened by the lowly sales of Aspire. It certainly trumps its competition in almost all departments.

Yes, 3000 is not exactly low, but its deserves to be in the top 10 at least. Maybe Ford is unable to deliver, cause I've heard there is a waiting period. I hope it doesn't come to the situation of the Ecosport where customers had to wait so much.

Anyway, Ford is getting in tremendous cars to India, and I hope this continues.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Xcent has just barely managed to hang on to the top 20 after heavy discounts. Its quite an underrated vehicle I should say. I usually analyse a vehicle free from any bias and from the point of view of what it offers+how it feels, having driven both Elite i20 & Xcent I came to the conclusion that Xcent offers much more value than i20. Even to drive I felt the Xcent steering is amongst the best out there, it offers much more resistance and feedback than the Elite which feels very loose at city speeds.

Also I feel Xcent has the most to offer in a car under 4 meters long, 408 litres of boot and enough interior room (equal to or better than Getz which still is a segment benchmark). The design both interior & exterior is no-nonsense yet elegant. The quality inside is leagues above its counterparts, specially the door-shut. If i20 does 11k+ constantly the Xcent should deserve atleast 6-7K. The visibility from the driver seat in the Xcent is much, much better than the i20.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Curious about the Amaze. Wide monthly variation in numbers. I don't think it is actually selling well enough. What I feel is that, one in 3-4 months Honda increases the factory dispatches and builds an inventory at dealer level. They then cut dispatches till there is a renewed demand from dealers.

Creta continuous to break records. Need to see if this will sustain. I have started getting calls from Hyundai dealers asking when I am planning to purchase ( I had gone for a TD just after launch).

Scross and Jazz starting to settle down at what can be the actual expected numbers.

Drop in Aspire numbers. Looks like it will settle at the 4-5k mark. Hopefully Ford can consistently sell ~5k units of the Figo, Aspire and Ecosport.

Polo sees a drop. I guess next month's numbers will give a better indication of the impact due to diesel gate.

Eagerly waiting to see if Renault can deliver with the Kwid.

Chevrolet has nothing to show. Hopefully the new Spin MPV with an AT will help give it a USP.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:45   #24
BHPian

Thanks Aditya. Rated 5 Star as usual.

Creta seems to be almost cannibalising the D segment.It seems to have stepped on both the Verna and the Elantra. However it would be interesting to see as to which variant of the Creta is doing well. I see very few top end variants in Bangalore.

Looks like the D segment sedans will die a natural death in India. The less than 300 numbers on most models.New cars in this segment will probably get struck down at board meetings.

Looks like end of the road for Chevy.

How many Fords can you produce out of the Chennai plant? Looks like Figo has cut into Aspire's production or has the Aspire lost steam already?

Have the Polo's despatches been affected by the handbrake issue?

Aditya, what happened to the premium car numbers?

S Cross is beginning to loose steam. It probably fall a lot more once the Baleno dispatches start. Maruti is still trying hard to keep the S cross exclusive by keeping the Baleno in a 75ps tune.

Less said the better about the other Maruti and Hyundai stars. They just keep selling.

Will be interesting once the Kwid dispatches start.
Old 12th October 2015, 19:53   #25
BHPian

Cannot believe the OMNI still sells around 6K units per month, a dangerous car to be driving in.

Aspire sales dropping just a month after launch is surely not a very positive sign. The Ford SA the other day told me, people come in looking for the Aspire and end up booking the new Figo. .

Surprisingly, good bookings for the Mahindra TUV300 and it's in the top 20.

Tin can car makers still ruling the game, will surely not change anytime soon though. Last weekend went to TD an Elite i20 along with a friend. I really admire the looks of it, as I was walking around it I just applied some gentle pressure with my fingers on the sheet metal above the rear wheel arches, and it just went in and popped out. Indeed very sad state of build quality.
Hammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 20:45   #26
BHPian

Surprised to see the response to Hyundai Creta. This car is perceived as overpriced product still Hyundai managed to sell over 7000 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
M&M: What Bolero managed as 8K numbers a few months back, now Bolero & TUV300 manage together as 10K! Quanto can be withdrawn, Canto may not be necessary! XUV500 doing its usual good figures, while Xylo managing the usual poor sales. I think they can spruce up the Xylo a bit, as the MPV segment needs such a vehicle from M&M!
We need to wait and see how the TUV 300 numbers are going to fare over a period of time. I heard M&M's North American Tech Centre is making a completely new MPV/Xylo replacement. Let us wait and see.
Old 12th October 2015, 20:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Xcent has just barely managed to hang on to the top 20 after heavy discounts. Its quite an underrated vehicle I should say. I usually analyse a vehicle free from any bias and from the point of view of what it offers+how it feels, having driven both Elite i20 & Xcent I came to the conclusion that Xcent offers much more value than i20. Even to drive I felt the Xcent steering is amongst the best out there, it offers much more resistance and feedback than the Elite which feels very loose at city speeds.

Also I feel Xcent has the most to offer in a car under 4 meters long, 408 litres of boot and enough interior room (equal to or better than Getz which still is a segment benchmark). The design both interior & exterior is no-nonsense yet elegant. The quality inside is leagues above its counterparts, specially the door-shut. If i20 does 11k+ constantly the Xcent should deserve atleast 6-7K. The visibility from the driver seat in the Xcent is much, much better than the i20.
True that. I have no idea why this car is not doing well. It has much better build quality as compared to the Amaze, and is competitively priced as well. Interiors are top-notch in terms of fit, quality and finish, and the car is loaded with features at the top-end (button start, reverse camera, cooled glove box, rear A/C vents). Huge boot as well for this segment.

I bought this car because I felt it gives the best value for my money. I can understand the high nos. of the Dzire (what with the Maruti badge and reliability), but am simply unable to figure out the value proposition of the Amaze over the Xcent. Maybe I am biased as an Xcent owner
venkats2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 20:58   #28
BHPian

So Alto sales remain unfazed despite the launch of the Kwid? Is that because Renault has not yet started dispatching the cars booked? I think the figures for this month should answer that.

Amaze suddenly wakes up from the blue and spirals into the 10th spot. Now that's intriguing.. discounts doing the trick or an increment in dispatch to dealers expecting good festive sales?

Coming to the last candy in the market - the compact/pseudo SUV's. Creta seems to have consolidated it's position in the top ten and sent Ecosport packing out of the top 20! Little wonder Ford released the facelift (rather a cosmetic upgrade) in a hurry. TUV300 with 4313 units seem to be only dealer dispatches to fill in inventory. I'm curious to know if it has actually garnered that many bookings? I don't remember seeing any on the road till date.
Ciaz and City rivalry rather amuses me - City seems to be continuing it's bullying and catch-me-if-you-can game with the Ciaz Verna, Rapid and Vento are ones which are left coughing in the dust of the sales of the C duo.

Overall an interesting month for the car sales. What I'm left wondering about the present month sales is about the launch of Baleno - can it or can it not? Can it disturb the sales of the Elite i20 and Jazz or will it fall flat? And will it affect the sales of the reigning mass favourite Swift, considering that it is supposed to be a premium offering with the same heart and more luxuries (albeit at a premium price!) ?
Old 12th October 2015, 21:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
Cannot believe the OMNI still sells around 6K units per month, a dangerous car to be driving in.
Mate, we are living in a country where even the ambulance runs with the same zero safe Omni.
For businesses who frequently need a lot of luggages to carry along, this car is very comfortable. A relative of mine runs a catering business. He carries huge quantities of food in omni, and the same car is used for family trips as well.
Omnis are replacing autos to carry kids to school.
Consider all these and you can see how the numbers are coming.
On safety aspect, it isn't dangerous, but is less safe than a small percentage of all cars sold. How many cars actually have full safety kit? Often people buy mid variants which skip safety features.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 21:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Xcent is quite an underrated vehicle I should say. Xcent offers much more value than i20.
Fully agree with you there. Earlier this year, my cousin compared both cars and eventually opted for the Xcent.

Quote:
If i20 does 11k+ constantly the Xcent should deserve atleast 6-7K.
The same may be said about the the Ritz and Swift. I am truly dismayed by the plummeting sales of the Ritz, especially in comparison with the Swift. Despite having the same diesel engine as the Swift and a more spacious cabin (in my opinion), have a look at the comparative sales between the two siblings.

MONTH....RITZ........SWIFT
Sep........1194........18278
Aug........1177........16811

Besides, the Ritz is one of those few truly tall-bodied hatches still left in the market, making ingress and egress easy for the elderly.

Is the Ritz, one of my favourite hatches, doomed only because of its ugly rear?
misquitas is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread