Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th October 2016, 17:22   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Have you tried filling fuel from a different pump?

Also take your LC out one day, just give it the beans for a couple of mins. Stay at higher revs in 2nd or 3rd gear for 15-20 seconds. After all this see if black smoke is still emitted while cruising. If at all you should see only a little puff during hard acceleration or when the gear shifts down.

Stupid question - You are using regular diesel right, not the so called premium diesels (not even sure if they are still available)?

Yes I've tried filling from different pumps. Now I'm an expert at checking for black smoke, as I can see it in the left side rear view mirror. So I keep checking after getting full tanks till they're almost in reserve.

You're right, there should only be a little puff during hard acceleration or when the gear shifts down and not clouds of smoke. Will try what you suggested and get back to you.

I've also tried both regular diesel and premium diesel and didn't see any difference at all, filling regular only. Should I try diesel fuel additive as well?
Shivjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 20:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota launches updated Land Cruiser 200 at 1.29 crore

Quote:
Now I'm an expert at checking for black smoke, as I can see it in the left side rear view mirror
That's bad if you can actually see black smoke in rear view on a new LC. It's very hard to convince Toyota guys from my experience, maybe just the way Toyota trains them not to fiddle with factory set components. I checked with my friend here who owns 2014 model Year, but he has not experienced anything, perhaps no one notices unless someone is specifically checking.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 22:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's bad if you can actually see black smoke in rear view on a new LC. It's very hard to convince Toyota guys from my experience, maybe just the way Toyota trains them not to fiddle with factory set components. I checked with my friend here who owns 2014 model Year, but he has not experienced anything, perhaps no one notices unless someone is specifically checking.
Yes, it is that bad. I cannot see in the mirror while cruising, but I can see it under light accelerations. Hard accelerations leave a big could of smoke, so I avoid doing that as it is very embarrassing.:Frustrate

Even we never noticed it for the first 5k kms. Only realised when my father was following the car. I couldn't believe what he was saying, so I decided to follow and let him drive. Wasn't a pretty sight at all.
Shivjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 10:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. Under hard acceleration that is understandable as more than required amount of fuel is injected, but ECU is supposed to take care of that. In case excess fuel is injected consistently, the FE will take a big hit.

What I recommend; if the local Toyota engineers are not able to figure it out; is to take a video of the smoke (along with all the details of the vehicle - VIN, date of purchase etc) and send it to the Toyota Technical team in Japan. They may take time, but they always come up with a solution.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 12:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
Yes I've tried filling from different pumps. Now I'm an expert at checking for black smoke, as I can see it in the left side rear view mirror. So I keep checking after getting full tanks till they're almost in reserve.
I feel your pain. I too had become an expert at checking black smoke, it had gone to a point that every time i floored the car a bit extra my eyes automatically went to the left rear view mirror to check the black smoke. Unfortunately, after much efforts I had no choice but to overlook it and get out of this habit of looking in the rear view mirror to check the smoke.

The car in context was my BMW 525d that I bought in 2007. The car was covered under the BSI package from BMW so I made good use of it to ensure that all required hardware was replaced FOC to ensure my black smoke problems were resolved. This involved changing filters to changing the entire turbo charger. But at the end of the day, the problem yet existed and nothing could be done, I had to just live with it.

My w222 S350d also farts a small bit of black smoke at times when pushed hard. Our diesel fuel quality is the major culprit, there is not much anyone can do about it. Additives could maybe help reduce it but might not resolve it fully. Here is one that comes highly recommended on various forums that I recently tried: http://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Supp...ilpage_o04_s00
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote