Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd November 2015, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Oct '15: Hyundai records all-time high monthly domestic sales (47,015 units)

Hyundai is just 5th in terms of YoY growth, trailing behind Renault (92), Honda (53.3), Ford (48.9) and MSIL (24.7).

Volkswagen and GM takes the beating, no festive season for them.

Source: http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/
sun_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:10   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Oct '15: Hyundai records all-time high monthly domestic sales (47,015 units)

Quote:
October brought the much-expected bonanza for passenger vehicle (PV) makers as most of the manufacturers reported double digit increases in their sales, aided by festive season demand as well as lower fuel prices and lending rates.
Total sales of top seven PV companies – Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Honda, Tata, Toyota and Ford – stood at 2.48 lakh units when compared with 1.99 lakh units in October last year, posting a growth of 24 per cent.
Quote:
Top car maker Maruti’s domestic sales in October 2015 were up 25 per cent at 121,063 units (97,069 units in October 2014). Barring mid-size segment (Ciaz), all other segments saw sales rise for the company.
Source

The festive season seems to have given the much needed impetus to the auto industry, it remains to be seen if the same can be substained.
Attached Images

batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb achievement.

Coming in the times of facing aggressive competition from Honda, Mahindra, Renault, Ford and the likes, plus market leader Maruti-Suzuki extending it's numbers and going from strength to strength, Hyundai India has shown that they can be consistent in growth numbers AND provide excellent products with unmatched quality and features in their respective segments. To think that all this was achieved in roughly the same time period in which their competitor car companies have been vying in the market as well, goes to show how far ahead they have come in the Indian Car Scene.

Their recent offerings have also addressed the issue of being poor handlers as well, with Russelheim playing a big part in the mature handling, road manners and engine performances of their latest launches from the Grand i10 onwards. Be it the Grand i10, the Elite i20 twins or the Creta, each one of them has immediately become a segment bestseller.

With the increasing number of new segments to tap in, such as the compact SUV and the MPV segments, I foresee these numbers to go further northwards in the days to come, with Hyundai lining up an EcoSport rival and the Hexaspace MPV by next year end to compete in these two growing segments. They have earned the customers' trust, and they will keep building on this in the days to come.

I wish them all the best.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd November 2015 at 11:19.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:37   #19
BHPian

I dont think this is surprising at all. With this being festive season plus the added safety features across variants(Figo effect) & possibly discounts(?) to grand i10 the numbers were ought to spike up. Wonder where Swift/Dezire numbers stand if Grandi10 gets 14k.

Rest CRETA & i20 are on a dream roll that can only get better due to the season. December numbers are surely gonna be back to normal levels.

Never the less even Ford managed to breach 10k mark in monthly sales. That's almost 49% growth YoY.

Source :

http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd November 2015 at 11:39.
SoumenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

India is not an easy country to make profits in as far as automobile manufacturers go, given its geographic size and budget oriented outlook of consumers (not that there is anything wrong with it, beats the 4L 6L engine cravings of America), nevertheless I doubt that most of the manufacturers except Maruti Suzuki make notable profits for their HQ, operating profits.. possible. Given the large scale investments the companies make its difficult for even a company like Hyundai to show India as a big profit base.

Compare this with America where Hyundai being only the 4th or 5th best seller has sold over 10 million cars till date, half the models being the high end Elantra or Sonata. This is not even counting their sister company Kia. Europe too has more demand than India.

As we already know this industry is fragile and one-time bestsellers like Ford & Honda are down in today's times. VW too is in trouble now given the emissions tampering. In the end a manufacturer that makes honest cars which perform & pollute as per specified norms & are easy to maintain will survive for that day, tomorrow is anybody's guess. As far as the Hyundai HQ is concerned, this is not an achievement at all.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:06   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If one looks at the various sightings and news reports the future is not that bright for Hyundai, they seem to have launched all their major stars and have possibly just one (new Tucson equivalent remaining)

Tata, Honda, Maruti, Renault still seem to have a few major launch planned in the coming year. Frankly not that impressive, Hyundai needs to do even more, They have decided to profit in a big way from the market with the Creta pricing in the short run but in the long run this can back fire, numbers get you market share and keep the competition at bay.

They need something to compete with the Kwid (Eon does not do it any more), with the Ertiga / Mobilio / Innova and also the Fortuner (Santa fe numbers due to it's pricing are not impressive.) They need a new mid sized sedan as well.

Last edited by ACM : 3rd November 2015 at 15:11.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
If one looks at the various sightings and news reports the future is not that bright for Hyundai, they seem to have launched all their major stars and have possibly just one (new Tucson equivalent remaining)
Right -
A segment - Eon 6K, and now faced with competition from the new Kwid, need to do something here.
B1 segment - Old i10 - need to add a car here. Maruti on the other hand, has the workhorse WagonR and a new star Celerio here, both together selling more than 20K cars per month, about 10 times more than i10s numbers.
B2 segment - Seems very good with Grand i10 + i20, giving about 25K numbers. But competition not far behind in this - Suzuki has just launched Baleno to manage the two car strategy!
C1 segment - Xcent nowhere near the top seller Dzire, and Amaze, Aspire, Zest are all giving competition. Need to pull up the socks and probably add another C1 car or focus on selling Xcent more.
C2 segment - Verna is not up to the competition, though it is a very good car. City and Ciaz dominate this segment.
D1 segment - When it comes to D1, better than owning a Hyundai, customers probably think they put their trust in brands such as Toyota (Altis), VW (Jetta)?
SUV - No traditional SUV from Hyundai. Segment completely dominated by M&M.
Mini / Micro SUV - new segment opening up - Already some vehicles in testing, such as XUV100. Hyundai has some plans here?
Compact SUV - Creta, though the market leader, already have many alternatives namely Ecosport, Duster/Terrano, and soon Suzuki is going to launch its Vitara Brezza. While there is no stopping of Creta for at least one year, the competition looks tough.
Crossover - i20 Active is just a namesake crossover. In comparison, Suzuki has a proper crossover in S-Cross. With the launch of Baleno, S-Cross sales is only going to increase, due to the increase in footfall. Hyundai should introduce its crossover soon.

I too feel, the sales of Hyundai has peaked, and they can only do so much with current releases.
But compare it to Maruti, they have at least 2-3 entirely new products lined up, with new generations of Alto & Swift in the waiting. Apart from this, as you said, Tata is waiting with Kite sedan, Kite hatchback, Nexon, Pelican, and Hexa crossover.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:55   #23
BHPian

Credit needs to be given to Hyundai as they have been by far the most consistent player in terms of sales, inspite of all the ups and downs in the external environment.

Hyundai has potential to do 65 - 70K nos every month in may be couple of years' time. They need to address few segments like, Ertiga competing MPV (which I believe is in the pipeline), Replacement of i10 or a hatchback that would sit between Eon and Grand i10 which could challenge WagonR. Compact SUV just below Creta is also under cover. They need something new to replace Verna. If all these product challenges are addressed effectively then they will be right there in 60K plus territory.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:02   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This is what I call competition!! The way these two automotive superpowers in India are fighting, other manufacturers will be reduced to mere spectators if they don't pull up their socks!!
Rightly said, Shashi! Everyone predicted that the late MNC arrivals will take market-share away from Maruti & Hyundai. Well, the two put up a fight & how! The only big player which lost out was the erstwhile no.3, Tata. Maruti & Hyundai fought such a fierce battle that the likes of VW & Toyota slowed down on India investments (read = giving up).

Quote:
So whats the big deal? If Hyundai grew 23% when Maruti grew 29%.
Hat's off to Maruti as well. But the achievements of one should not undermine that of another. Both of them deserve a pat on the back for the superlative performance & giving customers exactly what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
That's a superb performance by Hyundai no doubt but if I were Hyundai, I would be worried about the poor performance of Eon and Verna.
Verna is now too old. The only thing that'll improve its performance is the all-new generation. In the 10 lakh segment, there's no old sedan that sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
These are mere wholesale numbers ( i.e billed from OE to Dealer) however the same numbers don't necessarily reach the roads / month.
That's the way all manufacturers report their numbers. It's not exclusive to Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Hyundai is just 5th in terms of YoY growth, trailing behind Renault (92), Honda (53.3), Ford (48.9) and MSIL (24.7).
Consider absolute numbers, not just percentages. A manufacturer selling 100 cars last year and 200 this year would have had 100% growth.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:49   #25
BHPian

Maruti grew 29% on already a huge base. So sales numbers is not anything big to write about. But Hyundai has better margins on their cars. This must be something that should worry Maruti. However Maruti had already realized this fact and moving in the right direction.
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 12:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
The bigger news is how Hyundai has moved up the value chain. Look at the numbers it is raking for the i20 and Creta. Both vehicles have pretty much occupied a slot which no one had entered or succeeded, before these two got launched and completely transformed the rules of the game.

Case in point: The i20 was a direct competitor to the swift not too long back, but with one upgrade suddenly seemed to have moved a segment above, so much so that Maruti was forced to introduce another hatchback higher up in the value chain!

I have never been an admirer of Hyundai, to the extent of telling others that I would buy any other vehicle than a Hyundai. Well, the humble pie some of us have to eat now
Very true, Hyundai has mastered the premium hatch segment, which was pioneered by Honda with Jazz earlier, albeit with little success. As you have said, the Elite i20 has forced MSIL to launch the Baleno, and Kudos here to MSIL as well for not being complacent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
While the success of I20 and Creta are incredible, I am surprised at the sudden increase of the sales of the Grand I10 since the last 2 months. Now, it is pretty close to the Swift numbers.
Has anything changed? Hyundai started giving discounts?
HMIL offered good discounts on Grand i10 and Excent owing to festive season

Quote:
So whats the big deal? If Hyundai grew 23% when Maruti grew 29%. Does it not imply a drop in market share ratio to the leader and actually sliding back.

Ok that was probably unnecessarily harsh but Maruti has managed to overshadow a superlative performance by Hyundai. Wonder how badly the rest did and who was worst affected?
True, MSIL deserve a pat for showing 25% growth over its humongous 1 lac+ volumes, the Nexa concept has started proving its worth, but that doesn't prevent giving due credit to Hyundai, the only OEM to challenge the leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
There is no denying that Hyundai has been growing at a rapid rate. But one thing all of us need to realize is that October and November are festive months (Dussera & Diwali) in India during which automotive sales are expected to be increased.
Festive season applies to all manufacturers and the bottom dwellers have not cashed in, so its also the drive from the manufacturers and their reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post

Volkswagen and GM takes the beating, no festive season for them.

Source: http://management-punditz.blogspot.in/
Hyundai and MSIL have shown > 25% growth on their 40+ and 1 lac+ volumes as against the other manufacturers, for instance it would take Fiat just another 600 units to show a growth of 100%, what matters is the volume on which this growth % was achieved, rather than the % itself.

Hyundai has always been a proactive company launching new products and face lifts in regular intervals. They corrected their design philosophy at the appropriate time. When the cars were beginning to get boring, in came the fluidic theme and took the industry by storm.

HMIL was the one that started the trend of giving hi-tech gizmos on mass market cars.
Gave interior quality and layout a new meaning in the mass market cars, the Eon's interiors would put a few cars in a segment above to shame.
The first to launch a diesel sedan this side of Mercedes with the Accent.
The first to launch diesel AT, south of 20 lacs.
The attention to detail that Hyundai offers on its cars is stupendous.
Hopefully Hyundai will go all out on safety aspects.

Hope that they breach the 50 K barrier, the upcoming compact SUV and MPV would only help it strengthen its position.

BTW, isn't this the best month ever for Mahindra and Honda as well? or have they done more than this volume before?
Karthik Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 12:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
BTW, isn't this the best month ever for Mahindra and Honda as well? or have they done more than this volume before?
Mahindra's 24K sales also includes Gio, Maxximo and Supro vans which are essentially SCV passenger carriers, if we remove them then the Oct'15 sale is 22,900 + and that they have crossed few times in the past, their highest is 26,000+.

Likewise Honda had bestever sale in March this year (22,696).
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 18:52   #28
MSC
BHPian

47 thousand vehicles sold in a single month.
But the number of service stations is more or less the same. I wonder what will be the scenario at service stations when these vehicles will come for their scheduled services. The already overcrowded and overworked service stations are going to get more crowded in coming future.
Hyundai should also keep an eye in increasing the number of service stations at similar pace. Or else noone is going to be happy. Neither the new owners nor the existing owners.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 20:02   #29
BHPian

What i like about them is that they have a car in every segment, from eon to santa fe. ( although sonata is discontinued now).
I too am surprised at verna's numbers. I know its old. But still looks fresh.
I dont buy the theory of saturation. When they launch 2016 verna, i am sure it will regain c2 segment leader.
adithya.kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 12:22   #30
BHPian

Monthly Sales figures available at Management Punditz
http://management-punditz.blogspot.i...ober-2015.html

Figures for Hyundai are as follows -
Hyundai i10 Grand - 14079
Hyundai i20 - 11019
Hyundai Creta - 7225
Hyundai Eon - 6479
Hyundai Xcent - 5101
Hyundai i10 - 1656
Hyundai Verna - 1256
Hyundai Elantra - 119
Hyundai Santa FE - 81

As already discussed, i10 Grand figures are surprising.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote