Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd December 2015, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Rains: Automakers forced to shut down production. Face 180 cr loss

Very sad to see Chennai like this.

Any idea about the situation of the BMW factory in Chennai?

Also does anyone know the correct address, as it does not come up on google maps.
bharatbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:11   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai Rains: Automakers forced to shut down production. Face 180 cr loss

The scenario seems really bleak for the Manufacturers.

One Question I have will the companies write-off the flooded cars or not. Will it be advisable to buy cars manufactured in Nov/Dec as we are really not sure what impact there was due to the floods. Even cars manufactured later in Jan/Feb may have spares that were flooded.

We are looking to buy couple of cars that are manufactured in Chennai. I was waiting for the new year but I am not sure now whether I should buy them are not.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:12   #18
BHPian

An appeal to the mods.. There are lots of stuffs floating around in the net, whatsapp groups and also SMSes, about relief avenues for the misfortunate flood victims. Many of these are defunct too.

We have a forum rich with people who can update real time on whats working and what's not. A dedicated thread and a link on the homepage to aid the aggrieved can help a lot. May be someone can initiate an official whatsapp/hike group as well.

As to the subject, yes, it's a great cause of concern as many of our manufacturers and OEMs do reside here and flood affected products (or components thereof) can be a bother later. Aren't these entities insured with natural calamities and perils to scrap it off?

Note: Please merge /delete this post as deemed appropriate.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:36   #19

This is a matter of concern for people such as me who own Ford's less popular cars (The new Fiesta), as parts are almost never in stock and have to be ordered from Chennai.

Expect a really long waiting time should your car need repairs/replacement at this time.

having said that, it would be inhuman to expect employees show up in full strength considering prevailing conditions. Glad that manufacturers have kept the safety of their workers in mind. Hoping for things to get better soon.
Wolfconsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:52   #20
BHPian

A maruti dealer on OMR
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai Rains: Automakers forced to shut down production. Face 180 cr loss-1449166911557.jpg  

diwa is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 00:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
A maruti dealer on OMR
Are you sure? Because it looks like Maruti Service Masters premises behind Olympia Tech Park, Guindy and not OMR
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 01:16   #22
BHPian

This is indeed a sad picture. "Once in a year, cloud burst" is the common answer everyone give and pass the buck. But why is the flooding at this level? Even flyovers getting submerged? Horrific scenes. Just asking the experts, once the flood recedes, it'll leave back a heaves of mud and dirt, what will happen to all these new cars? Scrapped or cleaned and sent to delivery?

Yes, fully agree on GTO point. Dealers have horrible stockyards at least in Bengaluru. From Suzuki to BMW. Just open space, no cover, no drainage facilty and dirt everywhere.
MercFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 21:59   #23
BHPian

Supposed to be the volvo showroom in chennai.

Note: Couldn't confirm it personally. if not, mods can take it down.
Attached Images

Last edited by drpudhi : 7th December 2015 at 22:01.
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 22:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Supposed to be the volvo showroom in chennai.

Note: Couldn't confirm it personally. if not, mods can take it down.
I also got this one. But in the forward I got, it was a BMW showroom. . Whether in a show room or not, definitely looks like a bunch of high end cars.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th December 2015 at 22:47.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 23:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this is an authentic picture of the Volvo showroom in Chennai but the magnitude of impact is huge. I personally saw cars floating in water, saw a video shot by a friend's friend of smashed cars lying on top of another and even an overturned bus resting on a car. Every dealership I know is flooded with cars that were flooded. I'm a victim too and my Civic bore the brunt of the rains that unleashed their fury on Chennai's skies.

Point is, if you're planning to buy a car from a Chennai-based automaker in the next few weeks/months, exercise caution and ensure a thorough PDI is done before the car is allotted or invoiced to you. If the dealer won't let you do that, walk off. With water reaching first floor levels in many localities, this is not the time to take a chance. A good thing though is most dealerships have their stock yards outside the city but then Kanchipuram, Chengalpet and Thiruvallur, the three neighbouring districts weren't spared too. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to spread panic here but just trying to ensure no further losses are borne by fellow BHPians.

Every manufacturer - Hyundai, Ford, Renault-Nissan, BMW, Daimler, Ashok Leyland, TVS and Royal Enfield had/still have their production suspended, with the whole city coming to a standstill!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 23:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

Point is, if you're planning to buy a car from a Chennai-based automaker in the next few weeks/months, exercise caution and ensure a thorough PDI is done before the car is allotted or invoiced to you.
Very true statement. Not just dealers for new cars, but for pre-owned as well. The ware-house / stock-yard for these dealers are pretty in much bad shape as well.

For sure, prices of pre-owned cars will take a hit during the next few months.
Srikanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 09:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
Very true statement. Not just dealers for new cars, but for pre-owned as well. The ware-house / stock-yard for these dealers are pretty in much bad shape as well.
Most of the pre-owned car dealers have pathetic infrastructure with cars parked on the road or empty grounds behind/near them. I'll stay away from pre-owned cars in Chennai for a while.

Meanwhile, it appears most manufacturers have resumed production at their facilities. Ford hasn't and I guess their plant would have been affected as GST Road in which the plant is located was one of the worst affected by floods.

Here's the link - http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...4.ece?w=alauto
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 09:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Chennai has been pounded by rain after rain, and the ground is in no position to absorb the water, as it has really saturated with water due to record breaking rain over the last three weeks.
I do believe that the Volvo car dealer pics are true, as Volvo here in Chennai has an outlet at the Express Avenue Mall, where cars are stored underground. Even BMW has a store there, but clearly the pics are of Volvo cars.
Production has come to a grinding halt since last Tuesday morning at most of the major Automobile makers and even the suppliers. And luckily, production volumes will not be too heavy as this being the month of December, when the Auto industry surely slows down a bit.
I have been hearing stories of cars getting hydrolocked from all corners of the city, was lucky to get myself and my loved possession back home safely last Tuesday!

PS: This is officially the highest rainfall recorded in Chennai ever, for the month of November, breaking the previous record set in 1918 ( that's right - 97 years ago ) and to make things worse, the Adyar river overflowed, thus damaging and taking away lots of things to the sea !
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS: This is officially the highest rainfall recorded in Chennai ever, for the month of November, breaking the previous record set in 1918 ( that's right - 97 years ago ) and to make things worse, the Adyar river overflowed, thus damaging and taking away lots of things to the sea !
As per the weather forecast, the record has not only been shattered, but will be set at a very high order

News Article

Chennai may experience more rains after a brief respite and I really hope/pray that there are no further casualties or loss of lives, now that help & relief teams are more prepared
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Older friends tell me that its all about the bad urban planning and land mafia.

They mentioned that Chennai had higher rain in 1972/76 but because the city (and upstream areas) had unmolested lakes and flood plains - the flooding was not as severe. From what I read, much of the flooding by the adyar river was because of the upstream reservoirs overflowing and releasing substantial volumes of water.

Per a friend, many of the "older" parts of the city - a friend's great grandfather's house built in the 1920s (Mandaveli), did not see a drop of water ingress, while the newer parts saw massive flooding. Does that statement agree with your experience?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote