Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2015, 19:35   #46

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift and Dzire L and V variants get optional ABS and airbags

All of a sudden the V trims of Swift twins have started feeling nearly as much Bang for the buck as Figo Trend twins and a worthy alternative for the Polo Trendline.

Key areas where the Swift Petrol twins have an edge over Figo Petrol twins

1. It's a Maruti.
2.Peppy Engines compared to the average 1.2L Ti-VCT of the Figo.
3.Improved Fuel Economy.
4.Reliable After Sales Service and comparatively reduced cost of ownership.
5.A much better resale value .

This move is something that Maruti should have taken way before. That being said, a commendable effort by MSIL for taking the initiative to provide an option for customers to have a better chance of survival in case of a calamity at a premium of 25,000.

I do feel that the Transport Department has to take an initiative to make basic safety features such as Airbags, ABS, ESP, Discs on all wheels as mandatory for passing the car to be roadworthy. i know i am asking for too much, but these go a long way in making our cars and roads much safer for our families.

Also, it is the duty of Salesman to explain the various optional safety features for the uninitiated. Only after that information conveyed, it should be up to the customer to opt for it or skip it whichever he deems fit.
prathirajkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 16:23   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Swift and Dzire L and V variants get optional ABS and airbags

Much required. And more than any other item on the wishlist, this should always have been a priority. Let's hope awareness increases and people start asking for such features rather than a Bluetooth connectivity or rear ac vents or chrome plating and what not.
Also, should not be optional.
krackr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 07:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prathirajkumar View Post
All of a sudden the V trims of Swift twins have started feeling nearly as much Bang for the buck as Figo Trend twins and a worthy alternative for the Polo Trendline.

Key areas where the Swift Petrol twins have an edge over Figo Petrol twins

1. It's a Maruti.
2.Peppy Engines compared to the average 1.2L Ti-VCT of the Figo.
3.Improved Fuel Economy.
4.Reliable After Sales Service and comparatively reduced cost of ownership.
5.A much better resale value .

This move is something that Maruti should have taken way before. That being said, a commendable effort by MSIL for taking the initiative to provide an option for customers to have a better chance of survival in case of a calamity at a premium of 25,000.

I do feel that the Transport Department has to take an initiative to make basic safety features such as Airbags, ABS, ESP, Discs on all wheels as mandatory for passing the car to be roadworthy. i know i am asking for too much, but these go a long way in making our cars and roads much safer for our families.

Also, it is the duty of Salesman to explain the various optional safety features for the uninitiated. Only after that information conveyed, it should be up to the customer to opt for it or skip it whichever he deems fit.
Absolutely, I was comparing the on road prices and yes I also observed that Swift and Dzire do seem very good value for money as compared to a few months ago.

Value for money is definitely a relative term which is not a constant.

A car which seems value for money now may seem overpriced tomorrow and vice versa.
mayank0782 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 08:55   #49
BHPian

I am seeing lot of people commenting on how this is a great move, bold move etc. On the contrary, I feel MS had no choice as products from their competitors have more selling points. If they really cared about people's safety, they would have done this long back. Of all the people, they could afford to do this, yet they chose to wait till the competition rose to the challenge. Anyway, good for people who are worried about their resale values, as they get to buy their favorite brand without compromising on some of the safety features.
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I am seeing lot of people commenting on how this is a great move, bold move etc. On the contrary, I feel MS had no choice as products from their competitors have more selling points. If they really cared about people's safety, they would have done this long back. Of all the people, they could afford to do this, yet they chose to wait till the competition rose to the challenge. Anyway, good for people who are worried about their resale values, as they get to buy their favorite brand without compromising on some of the safety features.
What competition are you talking about? The point is they are doing this in spite of the fact that the cars are the segment leaders. Also, it is Maruti who made ridiculous comment on safety but still went ahead and incorporated these features.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
What competition are you talking about? The point is they are doing this in spite of the fact that the cars are the segment leaders.
Let's put it this way, Maruti is not the first to offer airbags in all their cars, right?

Quote:
Also, it is Maruti who made ridiculous comment on safety but still went ahead and incorporated these features.
I can't help if you decide not to see the point. They are here to make money and they will do things as it suits them. And my point was, this doesn't make them angels or socially responsible overnight. As I said in my previous post, for people who want to own a Maruti, this gives them a choice. But knowing most of the Swifts on road are VXi, I doubt people are that safety conscious.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 1st December 2015 at 11:00. Reason: typo
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's put it this way, Maruti is not the first to offer airbags in all their cars, right?
Yes, but it is not the last either.

Quote:
I can't if you decide not to see the point. They are here to make money and they will do things as it suits them. And my point was, this doesn't make them angels or socially responsible overnight. As I said in my previous post, for people who want to own a Maruti, this gives them a choice. But knowing most of the Swifts on road are VXi, I doubt people are that safety conscious.
Manufacturers are not here for charity. Everyone is here to make money. Nobody is making them angels. People here are praising them for the right step taken and they also criticize them for not doing the right things.

I own a VXi but the circumstances were different when I bought it. First, there was little consciousness on safety plus I bought the best I could afford. My car would have air bags and ABS if Government of India had made the safety features mandatory.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 21:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but it is not the last either.

Manufacturers are not here for charity. Everyone is here to make money. Nobody is making them angels. People here are praising them for the right step taken and they also criticize them for not doing the right things.

Agreed.

Positive actions should be appreciated even if they are late in the game. Better late than never.

We should be glad that even though gradually but our market is moving towards the global standards and norms.

Although a long way to go, one has to start somewhere.
mayank0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 18:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to retrofit the ABS/Air bags in a Swift from Maruti A.S.S ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote