BHPian

Default re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Autocar review is out

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-401568,0.aspx
tifosikrishna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:46   #167
BHPian

Now, the only thing that works in favor of the BR-V is fuel efficiency figure of the Diesel motor plus the seven seat configuration. Will the pricing also be in the favor of the BR-V is something we have to wait and see on 5th of May.
Old 28th April 2016, 15:49   #168
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Honda @ Auto Expo 2016

Thank you to Ganesh Raj Mohan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

The BR-V will come in petrol and diesel versions and will be sold in four variants - E, S, V and VX. Here's a quick look at the features that will be available on each variant.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv-variants.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 16:06   #169
BHPian

A quick look at the dashboard and the exteriors of the top end VX trim of upcoming Honda BRV. Doesn't seem anywhere close to exciting to me and the absence of a touch screen infotainment system in any trim is a huge let down for sure.

Video courtesy - Sidharth Vinayak Patankar

https://vine.co/v/iPMJmlnIVbq

https://vine.co/v/iPMJbzUjw0K

In my opinion, with these kind of interiors and exteriors, Honda should price it more closely to the Maruti Ertiga than the likes of Hyundai Creta if they want to sell this car in some decent number, else it will be a no-go from day 1 of its launch.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:21   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Closer look at the plastics, chrome and the start stop button. Looks to be of a hard wearing type.
Name:  BRV_2.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  233.6 KB

Closer look at the HU, climate control units. Slider mechanism for fresh air re-circulation looks out of place though!
Name:  BRV_3.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  173.4 KB

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th April 2016 at 16:23.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 16:28   #171
BHPian

Looks like they've plonked the old steering wheel from the previous generation Honda City & Jazz in the BRV. It is way better that the one found in Amaze and Brio though.
The issue with the BRV is its width and possibly this will prevent it from succeeding. Honda better price this below the Creta to expect any kind of success.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:40   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also, the fixed third row grab handle seems awfully close to the head of the passenger!

Seems like left-side head-bumps on the grab handle are a given on long journeys, specially on twisties.

A better location for it could have been right above the rear quarter glass.
Or Honda could have provided spring loaded grab handles - my el-cheapo A-star has them.

7 adults are unlikely to travel in this car on twisties/highway though. People with such requirements need to get an Innova with a roof rack on top. This is more like a (4 adults + 2 kids + luggage) kind of car.
smartcat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 16:47   #173
BHPian

I think the 'S' variant will be the one i would choose if i decide to buy one.

- ABS on petrol version comes as standard along with projectors and dual
airbags
- No extra Chrome bling
- can go for alloys of my choice (Momo )
- windshield heat rejection/anti glare wrap from 3M can be applied if needed
- the additional features offered by the upper variants can be done with out

It all comes down to the pricing i guess. As other members suggested, it be priced lower than the Creta.
Old 28th April 2016, 18:48   #174
BHPian

I don't understand why ABS available in all diesel variants, but not in petrol variants? Why don't they charge a bit more and provide ABS just like in diesel variants?

If those are the only major features of VX vs V, they better price it just slightly more. Interiors are just like Amaze. Unless they price it aggressively, this will go the Mobilio way.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:51   #175
Senior - BHPian

Certainly seems like it will bite off some of Creta's share ! What I surely liked was the 210 mm ground clearance. Seems like a well put together "urban SUV"

The one thing I completely dislike is the overdoze of chrome & the rear overhang seems exaggerated. Though I understand why. It however does take away from asthetics.
Old 28th April 2016, 19:48   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

OverDrive review of the BR-V i-DTEC is out. Excerpt:

Quote:
Weve been driving the diesel and found that it feels familiar yet different. The noise is the same loud and gravelly. Despite Hondas efforts at improving NVH, this is still among the noisiest engines in its segment. Whats changed, however, is that the engine feels a lot more linear. Where the Amaze tends to lag upto 2,000rpm and burst into life before hitting the low 4,000rpm redline, this engine feels a lot more tractable. Power comes in at 1,500rpm and second gear can be used from low revs.

The 6-speed gearbox offers a similar short throw, clicky feel as the 5-speeder in the Amaze. Clutch action is decently light but a little springy, just a matter of getting accustomed to it.

The car doesnt feel overtly soft or squishy but absorbs bumps and irregularities well. The suspension feel is similar to a Honda City, placing ride comfort over sporty handling. The electrically assisted power steering is well weighted and not as light as the Hyundai Creta. The driving position, while comfortable, isnt very high up and commanding. From behind the wheel, it feels more urban crossover than a full on SUV.

Highway stability is good and the BR-V is happy at a steady 120kmph without feeling light or flighty. Harsh NVH has been a Honda weak point for a while on this platform and the company has worked hard to fix that. While the engine is still quite vocal, road noise has been significantly reduced thanks to extra insulating materials used in the doors, hood, roof, floor and dashboard.
Name:  HondaBRV12.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  181.9 KB

NDTV Review is out as well, with a short report on the CVT:

Quote:
The CVT is pleasant and convenient but certainly lacks punch. The petrol in general seems lacklustre and certainly not what you expect from an i-VTEC motor. But the CVT comes across as refined and will certainly feel much smoother (primarily in city traffic) than the clunkier auto from the Creta or the AMT in the Duster. The engine gets noisy and very rev-happy when you put it from D to S mode (or use the rather welcome paddle shift) but it is more noise and less action as performance only enhances marginally. There's no cruise control on offer either, which is a bit of a miss.

On the diesel things get better. The engine is much more responsive and has great low and mid torque. This affords a nice city driving experience - with infrequent gear changes, and also gives you a good highway cruising character. But even though Honda says a lot of work's been done on reducing NVH the loud common rail engine easily filters into the cabin. That's quite disappointing, especially since the BR-V is meant to be more premium than the rivals. The new 6-speed gearbox though is a delight - very smooth and very forgiving too. Lag is controlled and overall the diesel will give you the nicer drive; the extra weight up front also makes the diesel variant feel more planted.
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-hondabrvfrontsection_827x510_71461845436.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th April 2016 at 20:03.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 20:38   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
I don't understand why ABS available in all diesel variants, but not in petrol variants? Why don't they charge a bit more and provide ABS just like in diesel variants?
Pretty sure that is a ploy to launch the car with an extremely competitive starting price.

They can then have 40,000-50,000 rupee price-differences across variants and state "you are getting so-and-so features over and above the base (E) for your money."

Since the diesel base will be definitely pegged at around 1 lac-1.10 lac rupees over the petrol base, adding ABS to the list of features is a given. An extra lollipop, if I may call it so.
Old 28th April 2016, 20:42   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Not able to see reverse parking sensors on the rear bumper. Hope its due to the black cladding! Its a must for a seven seater.
Answering my own question- Reverse parking sensors have been given a miss. No reverse camera as well, even on top end variants.

So far the below features seem confirmed.

+
Automatic climate control
Bluetooth Audio
Steering mounted controls
Dual airbags standard
ABS standard for diesel and mid and top petrol.
Art leather seats.
Paddle shifters for automatic petrol.
Projector headlamps.

-
No touchscreen HU.
No cruise control.
No parking sensors.
No reverse camera.
No auto headlamps or wipers.
No auto dim IRVM (Not in Creta too)

All the above features are present in the City IIRC. So hopefully, BRV will be positioned significantly below the City.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 21:13   #179
BHPian

Default With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview, Crash Test demo & CEO interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Nope. Here's a close shot of the central console of the BR-V:

[center]Attachment 1501335
That slider for inner air circulation looks hideous and is as old school as Maruti 800.
Quote:
We can see a leather-covered gearshift lever, leather seat covers, an Automatic Climate Control unit & the Bluetooth-based Head Unit. Pretty safe to assume that this is the top variant (VX) on display, and it doesn't have a touchscreen HU.
No touchscreen or even a color display? What was Honda thinking? Even a Kwid gets a big touch screen and BRV is supposed to be a premium offering that will atleast be 3-4 times more expensive than Kwid.

When will Honda learn from its mistakes?
Old 28th April 2016, 22:03   #180
BHPian

The third row seat base looks literally non-existent from the picture. In the interest of better boot space, Honda has screwed up the 3rd row space. These seats are a sure recipe for bottom pain during long runs. To me, the BR-V is essentially a 5 seater as I cannot imagine the 3rd row usable with that headroom and under-thigh support.
Closed Thread