Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2016, 13:03   #271
BHPian

Default re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I probably need to add 20% to that number to arrive at on-road Bangalore prices. So at about Rs. 14.4 Lacs on road for Honda BR-V CVT, the asking price is just about right. Not earth-shattering value, but not too overpriced either.

This means Honda BR-V CVT will be my next car!
Same boat as you. But would like to wait for the Tbhp review of the car before making the booking.
Old 5th May 2016, 13:06   #272
BHPian

Good pricing. They could have still priced it 50k lower, but the current pricing is also good.

12.9 lakhs will translate to around 14 lakhs on road Delhi, which makes it almost 3 lakh rupees cheaper than the Creta! It also undercuts the Duster.
The petrol variant is a little steeply priced though (as compared to the City)

At these prices, Honda has a good chance of tasting reasonable success with this car.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 5th May 2016 at 13:17.
Old 5th May 2016, 13:08   #273
BHPian

I'm surprised by how well equipped the S variant is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
All that extra make-up has added 50 kilos to the kerb weight of BR-V (when compared to the Mobilio)
That's quite ok IMHO. Considering all the extra equipment in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A bit optimistic by Honda. They could have easily shaved off at least 40,000-50,000 rupees further across all variants and made the BR-V seem a little more VFM.
I think the pricing is marginally higher than I expected, but it's nothing I'll complain about as long as they don't hike the price a few months down the lane.

Quote:

As things stand, it could be tough going for the BR-V
Not really. The masses love an SUV with 7 seats. I think the demand is going to shoot through the roof.

Who doesn't want a 7 seater that is slightly cheaper than the Honda City with the same engines and interiors?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th May 2016 at 13:09.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:21   #274
BHPian

The pricing seems competitive compared to the competition. But compared to its own sibling, the Mobilio too, the price seems rational. A quick comparo is given below:

What do you get extra in the BRV over Mobilio?

- Better headlights (projectors)
- Better interiors
- Better looks / stance
- 'SUV' tag

Anything else?
Attached Images

Last edited by Aragorn : 5th May 2016 at 13:23. Reason: Additional information
Aragorn is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:26   #275
BHPian

Just sat inside and kind of disappointed with certain things
1) the legs get raised too much to be comfortable in the last row. I am 5.6 and the last row is ideal for 2 kids on a long drive. In city driving, 2 can manage.
2) No height adjustable seat belts.
3) No DRL's or leather seats for CVT which only comes in V trim.
4) the middle row with 3 full grown adults happen to rub shoulders with each other.
5) Last row doesn't split. The whole seat has to be folded.

The actual presence of the car is decent. At 14 lakhs OTR for the CVT, I am not happy but will be buying it anyways.
riteshritesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:31   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, they have played a decent balancing game with the pricing. The Petrol VX is priced exactly the same as the Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol (The top variant one can buy in a Petrol Creta). The diesels are priced slightly below the Creta and quite a bit above the Duster. Similarly, positioned above the City, but not by too much.

Disappointing to see that there is no CVT in the top end. As such the BR-V misses on a a few nice features and the V variant would lose some more as compared to the VX. Maybe they do not want to encourage cross shopping with the City CVT for those looking for 5 seaters. City CVT in SV and VX, BR-V in V.

In all, good but not wow pricing. Need to see if just the 7 seater USP is enough to garner a good volume of sales. Without the 7 seater requirement, the Creta is not too far off in pricing and looks to be better built and equipped.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:38   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
J
5) Last row doesn't split. The whole seat has to be folded.
It does - Please see the screen shot from Autocar review which clearly shows split last row seats.
Attached Thumbnails
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-lastrow.jpg  

Old 5th May 2016, 13:44   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
What do you get extra in the BRV over Mobilio?

- Better headlights (projectors)
- Better interiors
- Better looks / stance
- 'SUV' tag
Decent pricing but I prsonally feel 1.5 lakhs over Mobilio is a steep one.
BRV is better for people who want automatic IMO.
One of my colleague has booked it and he has got an invite to the launch event at the dealer level today.
If he is attending, I might probably go too and check it out.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:50   #279
BHPian

Also, did a quick price comparo with competition. The pricing vis-a-vis feature content needs to be understood before commenting on the value.

A pure numerical comparison below:
Attached Thumbnails
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv-diesel-competition.jpg  

Attached Images

Aragorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 14:09   #280
Senior - BHPian

Could not find the boot capacity and kerb weight in the specs.
Any idea?
Old 5th May 2016, 14:10   #281
BHPian

Thumbs up re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Comparison with Creta and Duster

Name:  Comparo.jpg
Views: 4848
Size:  138.0 KB

# BR-V is the longest in segment and offers 7 seats
# Duster is the widest and tallest with longest wheelbase
# BR-V has a flexible boot space ranging from 223 ltrs with 3rd up to 691 ltrs with 3rd row folded
# Creta is the one with the most engine/transmission option, 5 in total - 1.6 petrol MT, 1.6 petrol AT, 1.4 diesel MT, 1.6 diesel MT and 1.6 diesel AT, duster with 4 and BR-V offers 3
# Creta offers both petrol and diesel AT, while duster offers diesel AT, the BR-V offers a petrol one
# Creta has the most power and torque, be it petrol or diesel

IMO each vehicles has its own strength and weakness.
While the Duster appeals the least, it truly shines with its ride and handling. Creta is an all round package with well packed interiors that will appeal to the urban buyer.
The BR-V looks good and offers 7 seats which is hard to ignore and scores on practical POV

Duster - for ride and handling
Creta - for interior fit and finesse and the CRDi
BR-V - for 7 seats
Karthik Chandra is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 14:12   #282
BHPian

Overall, an interesting option in the 10-15L segment for a 7 seater car shopper. So far in this space there are really not many options for a city buyer. Let us consider the 7-seater options, one by one:

a) Ertiga & Mobilio in < 10L space, are just too tight in the third row, and can't really boast owning a 7 seater. Bolero is big & has a bigger engine too, but lacks features that an urban buyer wants. TUV300 has healthy levels of equipment, and has macho looks, but again, can't really say it is car-like to drive. We cannot deny that TUV300 is a good option for a 5+2 seater with a great appearance. This could be the similar case with Nuvosport, but I am not really sure.
b) Renault Lodgy is an MUV in 10-15L space, but has not much push from the manufacturer, and hope they are happy with the inventory levels. Scorpio also likes in 10-15L braket. It has 4WD option as well, but with equipment levels, the OTR is pushed to about 18L. City buyers have a better option here - XUV500, but again, the top end is pushed > 20L

So, the buyers with 10-15L budget and want 7/8 seater option, with decent equipment levels would be willing to consider BR-V.

However - City buyers who are content with 5 seaters and are shopping with 10-15L need not look at BR-V just because it undercuts Creta, because, Creta offers way more equipment for additional price (particularly in safety front) and also the 1.6 CRDi engine. 1.5 iDTec is never known to be as refined as the CRDi engine. Listen to Amaze for a sample.
The looks that have way too resemblance to Mobilio also would be a deal breaker for 5 seater shoppers. (If you were not interested in Mobilio in the first place, does the similar looking BR-V satisfy your needs at an additional 5L?)

Let us wait a few months to see the sales performance!
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 14:26   #283
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is not good, and not bad also, IMO.

BR-V can nicely fit into a segment which is now devoid (yes, almost!) of any offering because of the "promotion" of Innova to a higher segment - the 7-seater car-like personal carriage in the 10-13L segment.

BR-V will pose some threat to Innova Crysta lower end models, Ertiga higher end models and Creta, but not a big threat, IMO.

Innova Crysta will have a lot of repeat customers from old Innova, Ertiga will have customers coming from Maruti stable, while Creta has already established as an SUV (really?). BR-V's problem is its image - the bigger Brio. They should have used the City platform.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th May 2016 at 14:37.
romeomidhun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 14:39   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
It does - Please see the screen shot from Autocar review which clearly shows split last row seats.
My Bad in wording it wrongly. The last row is a bench seat with split back rests. When you need to fold it, the whole bench goes up, unlike in an Innova where the last row is made of 2 different seats altogether and can be folded individually.
Old 5th May 2016, 14:56   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

E - 8.1L (Petrol), 9.6 (Diesel)

S - 9.2L (Petrol), 10.4 (Diesel)

V - 10.49 (Petrol), 11.55 (Diesel)

VX - 11.1 (Petrol), 12.12 (Diesel).

VX (AT) - 12.2 (Petrol)

I would be seriously amazed if people spent more than 1L over Mobilio just for the look alone. The car is almost identical in every other aspect, and same money gets you much more features in the Mobilio RS variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
My final prediction - 8.5 lacs to 13 lacs, considering that the BR-V is not coming with a diesel AT option and neither it has an AWD option.

If there's an RS version on the way, I expect it to be priced at around 1.10 lac rupees over the nearest top variant.
Guess we both predicted a bit lesser than the launch price. Not bad pricing from Honda though, but I feel this premium of 1.65L now makes the Mobilio feel VFM. Those who are looking at a seven seater should look at the top end Mobilio instead, which even has good discounts running.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462440326.415774.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread