Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2016, 13:58   #361
BHPian

Default re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Had asked a friend to go check out the BR-V yesterday. I wanted someone to check it out on my behalf because I'm still on the lookout for a good comfortable 7 seater, while innova, Ertiga & Avenza ( are available here in Dubai for comparison), we don't have a BR-V or Mobilio.

These were his direct views based on the questions I wanted to raise.

1. The BR-V can be more comfortably called a comfortable 6 seater ( 2+2+2), then a 7 seater. The vehicle isn't very wide

2. He is 6'1, and he said that someone about a few inches shorter, perhaps around 5'10 should be able to sit in just about ok. Taller than that it could be quite tight unless slanting his knees.

3. As many people pointed out, he said its pretty much an slightly upgraded Mobilio interior, in terms of spacing and ambience.

4. I felt that Honda could have included their famous magic seats.

5. He felt that pricing was expensive, considering the upgrade (yeah, he called it the BR-V upgrade) wasn't as AMAZE'ING as people thought it would be. I'm disappointed.

6. No imposing feeling that you would generally feel with the SUVs

His personal recommendation is to wait a bit, as the pricing most probably will get adjusted. Other competitors coming into the market should address that. Being a car enthusiast himself, he said the dealer recommended to come back few days and there is a large dealer management talk about disposing the Mobilio at really steep discounts, which I feel might be a much better option.

Hearing this, I so wish they introduced the autobox on the Mobilio. Its basically for my parents and others staying the house but not sure I will go with BR-V, hearing the general consensus
daywiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 15:23   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

The official Honda BR-V TV commercial has been released.

For those who caught the live webcast of the launch a few days back, you will remember this playing on the screens on the stage before the prices were revealed.

Old 7th May 2016, 15:35   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
1. The BR-V can be more comfortably called a comfortable 6 seater ( 2+2+2), then a 7 seater. The vehicle isn't very wide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The official Honda BR-V TV commercial has been released.
It's interesting to see even in the advert the middle row is occupied by two people, only.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:08   #364
BHPian

Quote:
His personal recommendation is to wait a bit, as the pricing most probably will get adjusted. Other competitors coming into the market should address that. Being a car enthusiast himself, he said the dealer recommended to come back few days and there is a large dealer management talk about disposing the Mobilio at really steep discounts, which I feel might be a much better option.
I should keep a track of this thread. If steep means couple of lakhs, I won't mind going for the Mobilio.
Old 7th May 2016, 18:15   #365
BHPian

I went to have a look at the BRV with very high hopes but came back extremely disappointed.

Few of the things missed out by Honda even on the top end model (costing around 15 lacs for the diesel) is not at all acceptable in this day and age specially when the competition is coming up with feature loaded cars. Below are the list of things that should have been there at least in the top model.

1. Automatic dimming rear view mirror
2. Reverse Camera and sensors
3. Controls on the steering wheel to pick up and cancel phone calls (This is there even in a 5 lac car these days)
4. Interiors were that of the amaze. I agree the interior of amaze have improved but I would pay 8-9 lacs maximum for those interiors but definitely not 15 lacs. The plastic quality of the interiors were definitely not that of a car in the segment
5. No touch screen system with navigation.
6. The music system provided looks really outdated.

Coming to the drive of the car, i would say the drive was good, given that I own an amaze diesel, I couldn't feel much of a difference in the drive and I really like the drive of the amaze.

Overall the car doesn't feel much of an SUV, it looks like a facelift for Mobilio rather than a brand new car. Even the sales guy (very well known to me) was saying that the car is really missing a lot of features and a lot of other customers visiting the showroom were of the same opinion.

I feel there was a lot of potential in the mini suv segment but overall an extremely lazy attempt by Honda.

Last edited by hbkamit : 7th May 2016 at 18:19.
hbkamit is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:24   #366
BHPian

HONDA BR-V : First Drive

PowerDrift..

Old 7th May 2016, 18:42   #367
BHPian

Took a brief TD of the BR-V VX i-DTEC. Here are my impressions -

Styling is very subjective, though I loved the front, the sides could be a lot better if it weren't for that kink in the window line.
Overall, it looks nice, but the Creta is better looking.

Interiors of the VX variant are nice, with the leather upholstery and the Civic steering wheel. Interior quality is good, miles ahead of the Duster, but short of the Creta's benchmark. Seats are comfortable and spacious, and I found the middle row to be more comfortable than the Creta. That said, it cannot accommodate more than 2 people comfortably. The 3rd row is decent for smaller adults.

The car feels nice to drive. Ride and handling are very sorted. The dynamics are better than the Creta, though the Duster's all-conquering ride is in a different league. The engine, though more refined than before is still noisy. It's not a deal breaker, but the Creta is much more silent.

Overall, the BR-V does almost everything well, but it doesn't stand out in any particular area. It would've been so much better if they had redesigned the body a bit, especially the sides. That's because the mechanical package is quite strong, but the styling and interiors let it down, against the Creta.

I'd have to say that choosing between the Creta and BR-V is a bit tough. The BR-V is a good car, but it lacks the Creta's finesse. The Creta is a better car, but it is a full 2.5 lakhs more expensive than the BR-V.

Choosing between the Duster and BR-V is easier, and it depends on your priorities. If you want great ride quality, off roading ability, and don't mind the cheap interiors, go for the Duster. However, the BR-V has the far nicer cabin, offers more space and comfort and feels more refined, and if that's what you want, go for it.

If this same car was launched by any other manufacturer, I would've been satisfied with it. But not with Honda. They are capable of better, more premium cars, and it just doesn't feel like they're putting their best foot forward.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 7th May 2016 at 18:49.
Aaron:) is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:55   #368
BHPian

Went to checkout the BR-V today. They only had one car, the i-DTEC in S trim. It's a practical 6 seater, but what it lacs most is the SUV stance and size.

Here it is, side by side with the BRIO which is one of the smaller hatchbacks around:

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-1.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 19:09   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Default With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Here it is, side by side with the BRIO which is one of the smaller hatchbacks around:

Attachment 1504932

Thank you for this picture. Shows what I mentioned earlier. Increase in height compared to other offerings like Mobilio is due to the raised ground clearance plus added roof rails. Increase in width is marginal and can only be attributed to the wide wheel arch claddings, the cabin width seems to remain the same as Brio.

To give credit where it is due, BRV has much better road presence from the front end inspite of such small dimensions. They should give this front end and raised GC to Brio and try to market it against KUV 1OO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th May 2016 at 19:19.
Old 7th May 2016, 22:51   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
To give credit where it is due, BRV has much better road presence from the front end inspite of such small dimensions. They should give this front end and raised GC to Brio and try to market it against KUV 1OO.
Some thoughts on the release:

- BRV seems more like all-rounder kind of category.
- Last row mainly for city. 5+Luggage for highway
- Second row looks spacious and that roof-mounted AC vents would be a boon for the highway
- Leaving out the noisy diesel part, FE is up there too.

So from the above, a perfect recipe for masses and to an extent even the fleet. It may sell more compared to Lodgy thanks to badge.

Now having said that: How does it fare against rest?
- I have my doubts on that iDtech, 100bhp for the highway. Though it has a 6th gear. But does it really show the power where that 6th gear really feels useful? Need to know more on that.
- Creta is far more refined for the 1.6. Good power and linear acceleration after 1500RPM makes it good for city and highway. But those high window lines, can potentially induce that feeling of claustrophobia.
- S-Cross 1.6 : It has its own fan following. But has lag till 1800 and that heavy clutch will need getting used to. Driving dynamics better of the lot. So is the rear seating space. But it loses out on boot space to the other two.

So all in all:
- If one is thinking BRV, I think he is definitely looking for people and space and not the drive as a major factor.
- If not, then between the Creta and S-Cross, choice of S-Cross is mainly for the drive at the cost of boot space.
- For the nice long distance cruise with good cabin and boot space, its the Creta. I read on the forum, that long distance cruise is very much fatigue-free in Creta too. Would love to know more about that.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 23:35   #371

Checked out Honda BR-V today and initial impression was have seen something similar, exactly at the same spot a couple of months back. And it was a Mobilio! Surprisingly it was not to be seen anywhere today.

The car looked impressive from outside but once inside it again was a feeling of seen this before. Though being sold as a 7-seater, the car is good for 6. The second row can seat 2 comfortably and the last row with knee up is best for kids. I was hoping Honda to surprise us with a better product but a bit disappointed by the offering.

There was no test drive vehicle available as they had no registered vehicle available. Shows Honda was not prepared for the launch. But read the thread where fellow BHPians got a test drive. May be Navi Mumbai customers will have to wait a little more.

Almost all the visitors were checking out the BR-V and the poorly informed sales executive (he kept referring to the brochure whenever I had a query), said there is already a three-month waiting period. Is it finally good news for Honda in India?

In the market for a 7-seater petrol, my search is now narrowed down to Renault Lodgy and Ertiga. Request fellow BHPians to help. Thanks
aseems is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 23:51   #372
AWD
BANNED

Test drove BRV today. For the most part it reminded me of Mobilio. Stating the goods & the not so goods;

+ves;
Front looks
Driving & dynamics, high speed stability & confidence inspiring drive. 6th gear aids in here.
High GC, drove over sharp ridges, even managed to drive with 2 tyres on the footpath, downside didn't scrape.

-ves;
NVH, engine noise, tyre noise, cabin not well insulated. This got irritating during the TD, doesn't come across a very refined car.
No Telescopic Steering
Overall looks & stance, this is actually not a -ve but got to do with general public perceptions, people here prefer SUV looks/stance. That's the reason why notchbacks, estates, crossovers seldom do good.
3rd row seats don't fold flat, limits the loading bay if need be.
Width narrow.
Interior dash design/layout is ok but nothing exciting.
Price I feel is on the higher side.

Overall its a nice capable car but the outside character might limit its appeal.
AWD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 00:37   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Default With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
I should keep a track of this thread. If steep means couple of lakhs, I won't mind going for the Mobilio.

Quote:

Being a car enthusiast himself, he said the dealer recommended to come back few days and there is a large dealer management talk about disposing the Mobilio at really steep discounts, which I feel might be a much better option.

Hearing this, I so wish they introduced the autobox on the Mobilio.

I had predicted this earlier in the Mobilio thread, but now Overdrive confirms what I had suspected- Mobilio is going to be targeting the commercial sector , now that Honda has the BRV lined up for the private sector.

Good move IMO. There is very little to differentiate between these two so that the prices can be maintained 1.5 lakhs apart. BRV base variant make the Mobilio top variants seem VFM. Probably those top end variants of Mobilio would soon be discontinued in favour of BRV.

http://m.overdrive.in/news/honda-to-...-with-mobilio/

Probably also explains why Mobilio is not displayed at most of the showrooms anymore despite Honda reiterating that the production won't be discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseems View Post

In the market for a 7-seater petrol, my search is now narrowed down to Renault Lodgy and Ertiga. Request fellow BHPians to help. Thanks
1.5 iVTec is one of the best petrol motors available in the market, and not just among 7 seaters. Purely speaking of petrol variants, only match could be the Mobilio.

PS- I haven't driven Ertiga petrol. Based on reviews.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th May 2016 at 00:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 09:25   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

I think one of the key negative for this product is the fact that the Mobilio came before this. Just for that reason, the car is compared less with other small crossovers in the market, and more with the MPVs like Lodgy.

That said, from what is seen on the media so far, it does not look to be up there with the likes of a Creta or a S-Cross.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 14:01   #375
BHPian

I stopped by the Honda showroom today. The car looks nice. They didn't have a TD car yet.

I think Honda has messed up the pricing. Just like the Jazz 1st Gen. And just like the Mobilio. Pricing it 1.5lakhs above Mobilio (which itself is overpriced) in my opinion is a horrendous mistake. Time will tell if the market will accept it.

I did a quick comparison with Honda City (Petrol, V variant). I know these are different segments, but I might not have the need to ferry 7 people all the time. Apart from that there is no major benefit that BRV offers over a sedan.

Summary of the comparison - City is about 1.5lakh cheaper (OTR) and offers cruise control, front armrest, 5" touch screen and rear camera. BRV is 4cms wider than City, has 16" wheels (compared to 15" of City), has halogen projector headlamps and Push Button Start.

Verdict - The scale is tilting in the favor of City, but I'll wait for the official TBhp review of BRV to decide.
Attached Images

shifu is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread