Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2016, 11:54   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Honda starts pre booking for BR-V. Official launch on 5th May 2016!

Irrespective of the price, I don't think it will give a tough competition to Creta. In my opinion, of course pricing is very important factor, it's the image that BR-V builds in prospective customers mind that will drive sales.

If price is the most important factor then Creta should have been a dud vehicle by now for its premium pricing. Indian customers have developed lot of liking towards 5 seater SUVs (Creta, Ecosport, Duster etc) and 7 seater as such projects an image of family car. In my honest opinion, there are more customers who prefer stylish 5 seater SUV with premium touch than a practical SUV with 7 seater.

Jazz vs Elite competition also projects similar results. Jazz's practicality was over-powered by Elite's premium touch and elegance.
mudhasir is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:45   #122
BHPian

Honda's unreliable and a noisy diesel will be a no match to Creta ..... I see this as an option for those who just swear by Honda brand basis their success in petrol and without realizing Honda is not synonymous with Diesel
Any plans of Honda CNG kits for this car may do the trick though
Old 23rd April 2016, 16:58   #123
BHPian

When I first saw the BR-V, I actually loved it and even commented that I'd line up to buy one in a few years. Fast forward to now: the more of BR-V I see, I somehow get the feeling that this vehicle isn't robust enough or abuse friendly. Agreed, it's bigger and better than the Mobilio and it even looks better than the Mob. The width has been given a welcome increase which was one of the gripes I had with the Mobilio.

That said, I'm not able to shake the feeling of BR-V being a feature rich point-n-shoot pocket camera than a proper DSLR, if you get the analogy. Another potential deal breaker for me would be the diesel engine specs; if they're gonna stick to the City's spec of 100 PS and 200 Nm torque, it's no go for me. I'm sure this engine's capable of more and being a 7 seater, more the merrier. Thankfully they have a 6 speeder, which is good news.

The Lodgy is a keeper for me and not really on the look out for another one as of now. But if BR-V ticks my requirements, I would be buying one in a few years time.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 23rd April 2016 at 16:59.
Old 23rd April 2016, 17:40   #124
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a worthy vehicle for the family oriented Indian driver!
If the price differential between this and the Mobilio is as low as indicated on this thread then it is really first class VFM!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:34   #125
BHPian

Default re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I doubt that they will be comparing the BR-V to the Mobilio or Ertiga.
I never said they should compare it with Ertiga. Mobilio is what they should be pricing near Ertiga.

Quote:
Its an SUV and a different segment all together. Also, it's clearly a segment above the sub 4m compact SUVs like the Ecosport & Brezza. Their benchmark competitor would most likely be the Creta & Duster.. but even here, the BR-V holds a distinct advantage of being a 7-seater!
And I agree that this car will be in a different segment because it is not a sub 4m car.

My point was that Honda's pricing has always been a weak point. Their potent cars like Jazz 1st gen and Mobilio could have done much better if they had priced it right. Its my personal opinion that Creta is right now quite overpriced. So if team Honda uses Creta as a benchmark and demands a premium because "BR-V holds a distinct advantage of being a 7-seater", then history will repeat.
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:49   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Made an impulsive decision today. Went out with family to have an ice cream, but instead, I booked a Honda BRV CVT Petrol. Last time I did something as impulsive (many spell it as S T U P I D) as this was when I bought a Rs. 11 Lac (Chevy Optra) car when I had just Rs. 15 Lac in my bank account, way back in 2004.

Trident Honda (Mysore Road) has had 11 bookings for Honda BRV so far. Mine is the first one for an automatic BRV though.

Now that I have made the decision, these are my justifications for making such an impulsive decision -

1) I need a 7 seater car
2) I need a 7 seater car with automatic transmission
3) I need a 7 seater car with AT and large boot space
4) I need a 7 seater with AT, large boot and black interiors.

Of course, the above list will be fine tuned a bit more to appear more logical.
smartcat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 22:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

I am interested to see how Honda prices this car.
One way is to compare with the Mobilio and see how much of a premium Honda charges over that.
Other way is to compare with the City...
This is where it gets interesting. The BRV is bigger than the City, can seat 7, will have more GC, bigger tyres etc, same engines (may be a 6-speed petrol as well) but will lose out on the interior quality and aesthetics.

My guess is that the BR-V will be costing a bit more than the City. So, expecting a starting price of 8.49 -8.99L ec-showroom Delhi.

If this indeed starts at 7.99L ex-showroom, it should shake up the market.
Old 24th April 2016, 00:01   #128
Senior - BHPian

I have booked S cross 1.3 Zeta and waiting for loan to get cleared. My RM is very enthusiastic to do the invoice by this month end itself. Monthly sales target or BR-V heat? If Honda gets the pricing right, this will be a sure shot success. I am not much interested in this car because it is based on brio platform and there is no "premium feel" in recent launches by Honda.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 01:00   #129
BHPian

I am not booking one without reading the official review. Any date on that yet?
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 01:52   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am interested to see how Honda prices this car.
One way is to compare with the Mobilio and see how much of a premium Honda charges over that.
Other way is to compare with the City...
This is where it gets interesting. The BRV is bigger than the City, can seat 7, will have more GC, bigger tyres etc, same engines (may be a 6-speed petrol as well) but will lose out on the interior quality and aesthetics.

My guess is that the BR-V will be costing a bit more than the City. So, expecting a starting price of 8.49 -8.99L ec-showroom Delhi.

If this indeed starts at 7.99L ex-showroom, it should shake up the market.
I think they have taken Mobilio out of the picture and would be probably be doing a minimum number of factory dispatches in the near future.
Whatever their strategy with this car is, the only thing that they always try to ensure is that nothing comes in the way of the CIty's sales. 7.99 could be the launch price for the petrol BR-V which they would most probably adjust tp 8.49 in a few months time.
Diesel v Diesel i dont see this challenging the Creta, The AT variant wil fly off the shelves though. i
A very tight pricing band for this car vis-a-vis the City.
Old 24th April 2016, 07:15   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a comment by Namit about the Honda diesel being unreliable and noisy. Noisy - yes, but unreliable, I have not seen any reports on this one. I am a Petrol man. As it happens, all four of our cars are Honda Petrol cars (Civic, City, Amaze and Brio).

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2016 at 10:41. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 24th April 2016, 09:17   #132
BHPian

1. BR-V is a (new)cross over from Honda and is based on a 2010/2011 Brio platform. The Brio platform is quite old now! Why offer a new cross-over on a 6-7 year old platform?

2. Okay, the BR-V is nothing but a souped up Mobilio. The Mobilio was perfectly over-priced when it was launched and people talk about BR-V being priced more than the Mobilio. I find it staggering.

So, I find nothing exciting about BR-V as it's based on a platform which is already 7 years old and is nothing but a souped up Mobilio and shares the same interiors as that of the Brio and Amaze. Have Honda refined the 1.5 iDtec? The NVH used to be horrible.
Old 24th April 2016, 10:54   #133
BHPian

I have been looking for a 7 seater SUV preferably under 10 L ex showroom. I have preference for Maruti, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota. (May be new products from Tata).

BR-V looked interesting. However, now when it's launch is finally nearing, I don't see much interest among BHPians.

Should this be seen as possible lackluster market performance? Honda products, except City, haven't been doing all that great in market.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:10   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda will definitely price this aggressively. After the Mobilio's flop, they really need the BR-V to work.

That 3rd row of seats can be a significant advantage & differentiator - it's important to a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Okay, the BR-V is nothing but a souped up Mobilio.
That can be a good and a bad thing. The negative is the MPV-ish design. The good is that the ride, handling, space, engines etc. are sorted. The Mobilio does drive very well.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 11:46   #135

Default re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Anyone still on the fence of buying BR-V or not...

Oh, as you can see from the pictures, the BR-V is indeed more spacious than the Mobilio. That's the picture of the third row, with the backseat fully slanted, I'm myself 178 Cm tall.

Anyone who bought the Mobilio RS is really swindled by Honda... But well, it's an improved car anyway... In Indonesia the price difference between Mobilio RS and BR-V is negligible especially with bigger interior.

Test drove the BR-V yesterday. Quite impressed. Managed to wade through some 30 cm flooded street (very lucky it was raining hard yesterday), the car handled it like champ. The CVT is surprising. On D it's usual rubber band-y, on S, the pull is very noticeable. Driving demeanor is unusually car like. I was preparing for some tall SUV like body roll, it's there but not much.
Midi_Amp is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread