Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th August 2017, 18:01   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Government to investigate *all* diesel vehicles for emission norm violations

All these new studies shows beyond a doubt that diesel is a dirty fuel and it is causing immense damage to our environment and health. The cars which are certified as BS4 compliant in labs are performing like BS1 on roads when you compare NOx and particulate emissions.

As responsible citizens should make a conscious decision to move away from diesel cars.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60039844.cms
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 18:55   #17

Default Re: Government to investigate *all* diesel vehicles for emission norm violations

The car manufacturers put in BS compliance on their cars, if that is not true, i.e. they are not giving me what they said, that is cheating both govt. and consumers. So government is right in investigating it. They should be doing this as usual practice when they start giving FE figures. I am surprised that govt. only relies on self certification in case of pollution. Also, it will take them 6 months, that is mighty long schedule. Or maybe not, they might run it for long duration to test the engine for 6 months ( PUC is valid for 6 months in most of the states)
All other pollutions are bad and should be curbed, no doubt. But mostly it is maintenance issue (or so I would think) But case here is of cheating. Trucks/Bus, if they display BS 4 should meet it But if the lower capacity does not meet, then these definitely will not meet. And government should go after them too.
rysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 20:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
The cars which are certified as BS4 compliant in labs are performing like BS1 on roads when you compare NOx and particulate emissions.
And they all get a pollution ok certificate pretty easily. How!

The govt. should take up this upon them to ensure PUC checks are stringent and not a mere formality. If there are consequences of not keeping your vehicle fit, people will begin to care. We, as a nation, don't give a damn unless our skin is caught somewhere!

Also, citizens moving away from diesel may not contribute much if the trucks/buses/gensets/railway engines keep smoking away to glory.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 08:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Like testing for FE, they should conduct drive tests for emissions too. I am not sure any vehicle will pass. No wonder countries want to ban diesels altogether. They should do it in 5 years to minimise health and environmental impacts.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 10:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Real world emission test proposed.

Quote:
The ministry of road transport and highways (MoRTH) in comments submitted to the Supreme Court recently said real world or on-road emissions testing for BS VI diesel vehicles will be in-built at the time of type approval or production of these cars 2020 onwards

Quote:
But the SC-mandated Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) has recommended that a new strategy be worked out to check on-road emissions of diesel vehicles after lab certification when they are actually in-use and that government implement a recall programme to make vehicle manufacturers responsible for defects or use of cheat devices.
Quote:
The ministry responded saying: "real driving emission measurements is a detailed and comprehensive measurement process and is slated for implementation along with BS VI norms from 2020 at the time of new model type approval. Further verification of real driving performance of vehicles at the time of conformity of production test will be carried out
link
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
And they all get a pollution ok certificate pretty easily. How!

The govt. should take up this upon them to ensure PUC checks are stringent and not a mere formality. If there are consequences of not keeping your vehicle fit, people will begin to care. We, as a nation, don't give a damn unless our skin is caught somewhere!

Also, citizens moving away from diesel may not contribute much if the trucks/buses/gensets/railway engines keep smoking away to glory.
While on the ground level, the PUC certificate is a joke in most of India, the idea of PUC is not directly cheated by the "cheating" engines. PUC only measures the output particulate matter / gases at IDLE rpm of the engine. The cheating is not at this level at all.

And very true indeed. The common small diesel powered cars hardly do the larger damage - especially not more than petrol cars. Its the yellow plates (cabs to multi axels) that are horribly maintained & hardly kept away for maintenance given their constant running - that cause the maximum damage in my opinion. While they continue to ply - and they will in this country without any punishment considering all the lobbies - nothing can change the real emissions scenario.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th August 2017 at 14:43.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 19:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Diesel Mahindra XUV and Hyundai i20 found emitting excessive pollutants

ICAT (International Center for Automotive Technology) along with International Council of Clean Transportation (ICCT) recently tested three 2015 models, a Hyundai i20 petrol, a Hyundai i20 diesel and a Mahindra XUV500 diesel and they found the following results.

Quote:
The vehicles tested were BS-4 compliant and were tested under road conditions. The NOx emissions from the i20 diesel was found to be as much as 9-12 times more than the petrol counterpart. The petrol vehicle itself was found to emit 0.5-0.7 times higher than what the regulation permits.

As far as the XUV is concerned, it was found to emit 25-65 % more NOx emissions than the i20 petrol, which itself was not meeting the norms. The cars were tested in the labs first and then it was tested in normal road conditions using a portable emissions monitoring equipment. The vehicles were driven around Delhi.
Source: http://www.cartoq.com/diesel-mahindr...ve-pollutants/
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote