Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2015, 11:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: November 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks for this compilation Aditya.

Would be great to get an analysis as well from the Mods on their views on the auto industry. I think it's been a while since GTO shared his views and would be great to get that sometime soon!
avdhesh15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
4. Innova too sees a sharp decline.
I glanced at the sales of XUV (especially due to the AT launch), Ertiga, Mobilio et all, and none of them have benefitted from Innova numbers falling.

It's safe to assume that customers have already heard about the vastly improved new model, and are waiting for it's imminent launch. They are not cross shopping either.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:15   #18
BHPian

The Swift has taken a hit! But from a long-term point of view, it's a great move.
Swift is a decade old model now and it cannot go strong for very long. Baleno is proving to be a successful substitute which is 10 years younger. Too soon to say, but a similar trend in the near future will prove this tactic right.
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Movers

1) i20 Elite

In spite of the fresh Baleno launch, I had anticipated it to come in behind the Maruti.
Yet, it has come up tops.
The 1000 nos. difference in a roughly 20K sales between these two is a healthy 5%.

2) Baleno

The second incarnation of this namesake has done what the first birth could not. It has shaken the compact sedan market, annihilated its sibling the mighty Swift and shaved off 1/3rd of its sales and raked in a 10K+ showing.

3) Grand i10

Very surprised to see this car in the top 5. Had not expected this in the 10K league and was anticipating it to be in the 6-7K range like earlier.
Why the spike? Discounts?

4) The new "Kwid" on the block

The Kwid is off to a very good start for the French automakers.
The car itself is a true VFM and like the old Indica saying gives "More car per car".

5) Creta

Though the nos. have reduced slightly, the bull continues to run!!
and smother the S Cross on the way!!

The Shakers

Baleno
actally deserves the title as it has shaken the pseudo 4 metre notch back segment completely.

Yet, under this segment, I would like to emphasize on those models which have every reason to succeed yet not doing that.

1) Ford Twins

Very good cars with "swift" (pun intended) engines, loaded with gizmos, looks good, good mileage and reasonable after sales backup.

Recipe for success- Yes, an emphatic one if its a Hyundai or a Maruti.
Not really for an American.

The pricing was sweet yet the car failed to catch the fancies.

2) Zest and Bolt

Agreed that Bolt was a pricing debacle. Yet, Zest has everything to go for it.

It fails. Just 1.6K for a recently launched, superbly priced "sedan" is disappointing.

3) Brio and the longer Brio- Mobilio

Brio is nifty and cute.
Mobilio is everything but cute.

Poor campaign, no VFM or distinguishing factor and importance given to the Honda bread earners Amaze and City has seen them a deserved death.
Sorry for the Brio though.

4) Vento and Polo

"Das Auto" = 10 Autos.
Get the drift.
Pollution scandal or not, Ze Germans are languishing.

Vento posts one of its worst reports cards of late.

Death Bedders

The list somehow always remains.
Some GMs, the two Fiats and a coupe from the M&M Stable.
  • Do they need to continue?
Barring the Fiats, not really.
  • Will someone miss them?
Zilch!!
  • Will someone remember them once they are gone?
Who remembers them when they were here.

The death bedders:

1) Sail Twins(Beat is also getting close to its death bed with just a shade over 1K sales for a small hatch)
2) Punto Evo
3) Linea/Classic
4) Quanto
5) Vibe/Verito
arnabchak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Name:  tr2.png
Views: 7132
Size:  14.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
The C1 segment is finally taking a hit as predicted by many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
started looking away from the Compact Sedans to the premium hatches
Not really. Looking at the long term trend, the C1 segment is still at 15% even though the overall market has grown significantly, which is probably because of Dzire, Etios & Xcent being used by the App Taxi segment (based on what I have observed in Bangalore)

Utility seems to be the only segment where there is a drop in share, which I think is fuelling the growth in C2 segment. Apart from this, not a lot seems to have changed in the last few years when it comes to segment trends and customer purchase preferences. Interesting to see the sudden spurt in sales in the last 6 months. Looks like the new releases are actually drawing customers and converting a large volume of them into sales.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Competition in the B2 and C2 segments is finally becoming mature - just look at the sales charts. There might be one or the other car that sells the most, but, unlike other segments, there is no more one single dominant car model in that segment!

Life can only get better from this point on for us consumers
Old 9th December 2015, 13:07   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Some cars' sales are dwindling down in the last 4 months. Even December 2015's sales would be less than Nov 2015's, owing to the year-end psychological resistance of the buyers and plant shut-down for maintenance. Barring Creta - attributable to Chennai floods - others will have to take serious note of consistent decreasing trend in the sales of the new models.

Name:  Nov2015Sales.jpg
Views: 6814
Size:  48.0 KB
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:20   #23

Sales of VW Vento have gone lower than even Skoda Rapid as is evident in the last two months. Rapid sales have been consistent though. The customer has been more harsh with VW than Skoda even though the latter is owned by VW.
akshat15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:22   #24
BHPian

The only reason I see for the dip in Creta volumes in Nov is that part of the production is now being diverted to the export market.

Having launched in countries likes Vietnam, Nepal, South Africa & Middle East they have to cope up with the exports demand as well.

article for ref:
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/hyundai-cre...-report-653652
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:27   #25
BHPian

Despite having many segment firsts I am totally surprised to see the dwindling numbers of Aspire/Figo twins. It may be too early to say its a flop show from Ford. But I just had a feeling that whether ford failed to note the market pulse. Because if you see the recent trends in the market, people are preferring premium hatchback over compact sedan and have openly accepted CUV`s and SUV`s. So coming months might be crucial for Aspire twins.
Old 9th December 2015, 14:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
From this I see that the utilities have come down and C2 segment has gone up.
All the others have insignificant change.
Looking at the overall increase, this means that C2 segment has gone up significantly on its own.

Does this mean that we can expect sharper price rises of City and Ciaz?

Great - worth 5* as usual.

Just a desire (I had expressed it last month too) - can we get a breakup of MT and AT for all the models?
Old 9th December 2015, 14:09   #27
BHPian

Trailblazer selling more than Santa Fe in the month of Nov 2015 now that is surprising.
Fortuner still running strong at 1000 units on an average.
Old 9th December 2015, 14:34   #28
BHPian

Indian consumer mindset getting shifted to Premium Hatches. It was just 7 years ago, when people would raise an eyebrow, if one buys a hatch for 8 or 9 lakhs "you could have gone for a sedan, its more spacious blah blah!". The current sales trend clearly shows premium hatch as a great market and quality products from all auto-makers making it a tough choice for consumer.

Surprisingly, Kwid did not create the much anticipated dent on Eon and Alto, is'nt it? Alto still continues to rule on the numbers.

Jazz seems to have settled in its 3K nos per month, which was kind of expected. My guess is that the tussle for premium hatch crown will be settled by early 2016 (i20 vs Baleno), would like to see how the price hike in Baleno affects the sales.
itzvicky201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 14:43   #29
BHPian

Ford were too late in taking advantage of the sub 4m Sedan in India. People have considerably moved away from sub 4m sedans barring the dzire. Ecosport doing steady numbers despite conltinuous launches from the competition.Now ford should start concentrating on launching the endeavour with an aggressive price tag. IMO, ford should relaunch the fiesta by giving another facelift to change the awkward rear looks but I dont see that happening. Why ford?
Old 9th December 2015, 15:35   #30
BHPian

Surely Baleno is a hit as expected. When the biggest car manufacturer in the country comes out with a decent product the other cars in competition are bound to take a hit. The I20 has been the undisputed king of the premium hatchback, having got the first movers advantage for the last few years. I wasn't really expecting the Jazz to affect I20 sales but the Baleno.....a definite Yes
adutta2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread