Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2015, 11:38   #136
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Voted S Cross.

For introducing crossover body type in this segment, very good quality, fantastic ride and handling, and Maruti's service experience make it a product that can't be ignored. It is pretty close to bringing quality of germans along with reliability of Japs along with A$$ of MS. Can't beat that, IMHO.

I love Kwid for fantastic product it is with 'too few wrinkles for this price point'. But do not have understanding of product or space to vote for it. Also, admire Figo/Aspire for 6 airbags option and almost GT like performance (at least in acceleration, if not handling). Wagon R-isque steering kills it for me, though. Pretty bad steering for such a good car. I drove TUV also and it has fantastic presence and would have got my vote if not for unexciting engine and very uncomfortable seats.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 11th December 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Added views on other contenders
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:51   #137
BHPian

Voted for the Baleno.

Baleno has a set a standard for safety features ABS and dual airbags even on the base variant.While I have no doubt that the car has poor structural rigidity, the likes of other Japanese cars like the Honda City are no better. All of them have several crash bars deleted for India.

But dual airbags and ABS is still a good beginning.

Why not the others?
Kwid : Though has SUV looks and space, the cost cutting is too obvious . The higher end variants are not VFM as there are much better cars like the Figo and Baleno costing only 50-75 K more and have powerful engines as well.

Creta : Overpriced for what it offers . Period.

Figo/Aspire : Good VFM and a stonker of a diesel engine . If I had to buy a hatch , it would be a Figo. But it brings nothing new to the table.

Honda Jazz : Way way Overpriced for the God awful interior quality.

TuV300 : Not ground breaking enough for the car of the year.

The others are just also rans.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 11th December 2015 at 11:53.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

For those who are interested, here is a history of Team-BHP Car of the Year.

2009 Car of the year: Tata Nano
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-nano.html (Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is!)
Total Votes: 1058
Tata Nano got 406 votes (38.37%)
Vehicle sales: Flop. After the initial excitement, sales dropped off. Now selling around 2500/month.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review)

2010 Car of the year: Ford Figo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ford-figo.html (Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010. EDIT : It's the Ford Figo!)
Total Votes: 979
Ford Figo got 375 votes (38.3%)
Vehicle sales: Moderate hit. Sold a consistently high number (5-6K per month) in the initial 3 years, then tailed off.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-2010-a.html (Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010))

2011 Car of the year: Mahindra XUV5OO
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ra-xuv500.html (Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!)
Total Votes: 2626
Mahindra XUV5OO got 1487 votes (56.63%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit. Continues to consistently be the top performer in the segment.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html (Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review)

2012 Car of the Year: Renault Duster
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lt-duster.html (The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!)
Total Votes: 2122
Renault Duster got 1135 votes (53.49%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit. Defined a segment, and sold huge numbers until competition caught up with it.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Renault Duster : Official Review)

2013 Car of the Year: Ford Ecosport
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-ecosport.html (Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!)
Total Votes: 1362
Ford Ecosport got 696 votes (51.1%)
Vehicle sales: Moderate hit. Unique offering in the compact crossover segment, carved a niche for itself. Supply constraints soured the experience for customers.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

2014 Car of the Year: Tata Zest
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-zest.html (Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!)
Total Votes: 2454
Tata Zest got 962 votes (39.2%)
Vehicle sales: Average. Has not met Tata's expectations, did not pose a threat to the Maruti DZire.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Tata Zest : Official Review)
KiloAlpha is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:31   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
For those who are interested, here is a history of Team-BHP Car of the Year.
Going by the trend, if Kwid gets more than 50% votes, it'll be a hit and if it get less than 40% votes, it won't live up to the expectations!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:50   #140
BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Creta. Feel that it has shaken up a segment that was already very competitive in past few years.

My other favourites from the list are:

Renault Kwid: Once again, a game changer for its segment. Renault done it again after success story of Duster and taken on the big boys with a genuinely competitive product.

Maruti Baleno: As a market leader, you can sometimes be forgiven for being a little lethargic in R&D and has been the case for MSIL in past few years but boy oh! boy, they have whipped up a delicious treat for prospective hatchback buyers with this beauty.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:53   #141
BHPian

My vote goes to the kwid. Simply because it's car of the year not the company, not the service, not the customer satisfaction. Renault lags behind in all of the above mentioned parameters.

However the kwid as a product is a game changer. It is better than the alto in every conceivable feature one can think of. Plus it's one thing to roam around like an elephant in the jungle and it's another to go into the lion's den and throw down a challenge which is what kwid has done.

P. S : On a lighter note, someone has voted for the avanti . Are they taking the Mickey.

Last edited by gaurav_3000ad : 11th December 2015 at 12:53. Reason: Spelling mistake
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 12:57   #142
BHPian

MODS :: Can we have the NOTA button in the vote list. I know I am stupid but still...

There is not a single contender in the lsit which would appeal to me as the COTY. My reasons are as below ::

1. Kwid :: Though it is pitched against the Alto the ASS can never be a match to Maruti ASS.
2. Datsun GO+ :: I hate the design, how they manage to sell this a people mover is a big question. Look at it's overall size.
3. Ford Figo :: Has class leading 6 Airbags on the top variant, but Ford has let down on the build quality which it was known for. I have no problems with the 1.2 L engine as it is supposed to be a city commuter and will serve you well for that pupose.
4. Tata Bolt :: Tata needs to grow out of that Indica shell. That Shell now does not sell outside the Taxi market. In the hindsight it was a good decison by Tata to discontinue the Manza and Indica.
5. Ford Aspire :: Same as Ford Figo and those small tyres
6. Maruti Baleno :: Honestly, I was tempted to vote for this but the build quality looks a big turn off. Will have to wait for a crash test result before i look at this one. Though Kudos to Maruti for taking the challenge to the i20.
7. Honda Jazz :: Honda goofed up on the variants. I would have loved the fully loaded AT.
8. Mahindra TUV300 :: Has definitive looks, but for a car that size the engine seems too small.
9. Renault lodgy :: Poor ASS as is the perception.
10. Maruti S-cross :: The pricing and the parts sharing thing on a premium car.
11. Hyundai Creta :: The pricing again.
12. Chevrolet Trailblazer :: Missing equipment like steering reach and only 2 airbags on such a costly thing.
13. Mercedes CLA Class :: Too expensive for an oversized hatch
14. DC Avanti :: Lesser known name to showoff a super car and unknown service
15. Land Rover Discovery Sport :: Cost as compared to its counter parts.

I have given my reasonings and there are chances of these not going down well with other members. But to each his own. Thus i conclude that there is not a single contender this year who could get my COTY vote.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:03   #143
BHPian

Its TUV300 for me - well-priced, well-built and the most practical option for those looking for a compact SUV that can fit an entire family and some more.

Lacks top end, but it is anyways unsafe to drive over 100 kmph in Indian roads
Old 11th December 2015, 13:16   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

This year no stand-out product which makes me says "my vote has to go for this". The Nexa products especially the S-Cross would have got my vote if Suzuki has provided it with the same equipment level as the international model. The Baleno looks great and looks to be a blockbuster for the so-called Suzuki premium line, but it would have been a better car if it had more equipment, especially on the safety front. Creta would have been a strong contender for me if Hyundai had put some logic in figuring out the feature-list for the variants. On that note, if I want a diesel AT around 15 lakhs price range with 6 airbags and ESP, there is simply no option in our market.

Even with all these, I think it was a fantastic move by Ford to provide a hatchback with a powerful diesel engine and a reasonable safety kit. Hence as a reasonable compromise, my vote goes for the Figo!
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:34   #145
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Thank you moderators for approving my membership, and the first thing to do is to vote for the Car of the Year. Isn't it Cool?

I voted for Baleno. It look like a bigger hatch, and with the stance and road presence along with all the features, especially those safety features which are standard across all trims, feels worth for that pricing.
josebi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:43   #146
BHPian

For me the fight was between Creta, Baleno and Kwid. Both Creta and Baleno are excellent product but for me both are inline with or an improvement on products currently available in the market. With the Kwid, Renault has taken a bold new approach, a fresh design and taken the very strong competition head-on. The fantastic pricing is the cherry on top. Hence my vote goes to Kwid.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Maruti Baleno. To me, this car is aspirational, ticks most of the boxes that I would require in a car, comes from the leader in the segment and has set the sales charts on fire.

The car also comes with the national engine, the DDiS 200.

The top-end model can be bought in Bangalore for less than 10 lakhs.

This is the car that is pulling Customers away from the legendary Swift. The ideal combination for a City run-about and a highway-cruiser.

This also fits into most home parking lots and is respectable enough to show up in.

It also makes a great second car
Old 11th December 2015, 14:49   #148
BHPian

I voted for the Ford Figo.

Its very good looking, and in the test drive, found it to be very comfortable and maneuverable.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:58   #149
BHPian

Love the Kwid.

The car looks great, drives decent, and offers a significant better *feel* than the Altos and Santros. For the price conscious market that is our Country, it's a great step, not just for Renault, but also for the Customer who've been beggars-not-choosers in this entry level Segment.

The new Baleno was a close second - it just looks that good.
Old 11th December 2015, 15:01   #150
BHPian

Many have tried and failed to upset Maruti Suzuki in their home turf. That is, making low end hatchbacks. They tried to level the playing field by playing better than Maruti Suzuki did. Hyundai tried with their Eon, Daihatsu tried and did'nt. No one could make a dent in MSIL's volumes.
Here is Renault, with their now proven strategy of winning in India. Their game of "Opening a new front" worked well with their Duster and other makers are only capitalizing on what Renault started. Here they are, at it again, doing the same thing. Opening a new front, with the Kwid. With Kwid, Renault has managed to do several things that no other car maker could.
1 - Bring out a product that has a very high desirability quotient among the urban masses
2 - Provide more car per car with their mini duster proposition

If they capitalize on the gains made so far and make further inroads into suzuki territory(Service & Reliability) , tough times ahead for Suzuki.
That said, Suzuki must be expecting Renault to fail on exactly those two parameters (Service & Reliability) which is not what Renault is known for, yet , in India at least.
All the best Renault!
Kwid it is! for COTY!

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 11th December 2015 at 15:03.
Closed Thread