Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2015, 19:36   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

What is your opinion regarding Tata Nano and Tata Zest both of which won the COTY award and are struggling to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Also, Datsun Go+ receiving 0 votes, till now, indicates that such products should not have been launched in the first place.
I am still very upset with omission of Abarth Punto.
Old 11th December 2015, 19:43   #167

Voted for the Kwid, though was torn between a couple options. Only because its a brave attempt by Renault to enter a segment which doesn't promise very high margins, and undercutting all rivals on cost in the process, while excelling in overall features!!
Taking up on the sales topper for a long time now, that's called guts.. taking the bull by its horns
Old 11th December 2015, 19:49   #168
BHPian

Voted for Jazz for simple reason- Above every single feature, the main 'feature' is the safety of car. Sluggishness, acceleration, ICE etc. are secondary to me.
I was impressed by Jazz after seeing this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3851524

Baleno started to deliver fatalities within a month of launch. I am not surprised since MS cars are notoriously known for fatalities.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3852238

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 11th December 2015 at 19:50.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 20:04   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
What is your opinion regarding Tata Nano and Tata Zest both of which won the COTY award and are struggling to sell.
This is the way I look at it. For Nano, it was a mistake to release it with a 2-cylinder pot and though I have one myself, purchased last year, its auto-rickshaw sound is a huge no for many to step inside. Once you are inside the car, the effect is almost negligible. However, people don't step in it and get the point. However, we, the Team-BHPians, voted because its deficiency is far out-maneuvered by its over all strengths. It is a brilliant car and at its price point it is too much VFM. Also, the COTY depends on the other cars released that year. All its hopes were crushed by the early fire incidents. In fact in 2011 itself my first choice of Nano was vetoed by the family when we went to pay the booking amount and I ended up buying an Alto then. Last year, no fire incidents over the past 3 years, convinced the family that a Nano could be purchased and I got my dream one. We, the Team-BHP, were not really wrong with the choice. Ours is like the critics award or the National Award where the movie or performance of the artists is rarely wrong. Popularity and filmfare awards are a different affair though For example, does the Dzire really deserve 17K+ numbers month on month over Amaze/Aspire/Xcent/Zest? For me, the answer is a firm no. However, it is like Salman/Shah Rukh Khan which will have huge draw at the weekend BO over Irfan Khan's performance in say Pan Singh Tomar.

Last year, the choices were pretty weak. Compare with Nano (uniqueness/novel), Figo (a true VFM hatchback), XUV500, Duster, and EcoSport, I say that Zest is the weakest COTY, again subjective. I am sure if Baleno or Creta would have released last year, or even Kwid, Zest would not have bagged COTY.

In short, the sales number is something which BHPians have no control. Else, I think we would have made Punto a huge block-buster which now addresses your second part.

Quote:
I am still very upset with omission of Abarth Punto.
Did Fiat themselves consider Abarth as a brand new car? I don't think so, I mean I always felt Abarth as something as Etios Cross and not a wholly new car. It must be admitted that I may be wrong too. However, I think this has been a pure, non-deliberate, omission on our moderators part.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 20:07   #170
BANNED

I voted for the Creta because Hyundai has pulled off the unthinkable. Launching an overpriced product and still managing to sell it. Not that it is a bad car by any chance but it is priced highly and still sells. So kudos to Hyundai and this deserves the reward of the car of the year since it is actually that good and showed the other "compact" SUVs how to do it to appeal to the heart of the customer.
Old 11th December 2015, 20:12   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Not voted yet. At this time not clear/convinced to which car my vote should go to This is a tough one. My Contenders.

Kwid: Has created a real buzz in the entry segment and helped revive Renault's fortunes. An aspirational entry level car in a segment ruled pretty much by Alto. On the down side, have not see the buzz translate into numbers. While 5000+ is a good start, it is a car with potential to do 10,000+ easily and I feel Renault should have put more effort to ramp up production. No point boasting 70,000 bookings and months of waiting period. No publicity like cars on the road.

Ford Figo/Aspire: Segment defining diesel engine and power, DCT Automatic with excellent price and features including 6 airbags. Started the trend of Safety across the range which has started becoming the norm. On the downside, common observation that it is 'Not a typical FOrd like car', which turns away Ford Enthusiasts and makes others think- May as well go for the Asian brands.

Creta: What a block buster from Hyundai. The right blend of features, looks and performance. Gave the regular buyer a comfortable choice. Also with its wide network, ensured that customers in Tier 2 and 3 cities suddenly had a good SUV choice. On the downside, it is quite expensive for what it offers and the choice of variants and combinations can only be termed strange.

Baleno: Won't be my choice. Maruti has done a good job with it, but I don't think it redefines its segment in anyway. Just that finally Maruti has a car that can compete directly with the i20 and Jazz. Good to see the safety features standard. Thumbs up for that.

Overall a good set of launches. Cars like the S Cross (Explosive 1.6), TUV 300 (Diesel 7 Seater AMT), Lodgy (IMO a product that should sell better) all brought in something unique to the industry this year.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th December 2015 at 20:22.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 20:16   #172
BHPian

Voted for Kwid, they gauged the pulse of aspirational segment and introduced a most practical, stylish, feature loaded, spacious car in its segment. Also the customization packages are aplenty which as of now no other company has offered.

Last edited by Chillout : 11th December 2015 at 20:18.
Old 11th December 2015, 20:35   #173
BHPian

Voted for Baleno. Have a strong feeling as this will be the next premium hatchback among current generation of cars from Maruti.
1993 - Zen > Came to market as premium than M800 which was ruling.
2005 - Swift > Replaced Zen. With spacious interiors and premium feel than ZEN.
2015 - Baleno > Need to wait and see if Baleno will be the next favorite in market.
If i was searching for a car now, i would have considered Baleno over swift
Old 11th December 2015, 20:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

I slightly disagree with the performance part.

The main criteria from all the previous winners that can be gathered are:

VFM, VFM and more VFM : Loud and Clear, if the car fails that criteria, NO WAY it can win. (Weightage - 50%)

Redefining/Pioneering the Segment or a major Paradigm Shift by the manufacturer : Duster, Nano, XUV5OO, Kwid, Creta, Baleno, etc. (Weightage - 30%)

Looks : Looks are subjective but still It has to look good to majority of the people, in other words it must have appeal, otherwise would surely lose out. (Weightage - 19%)

Individual liking, Performance, Power, Mileage, Reliability, Safety, etc. all can take back seat. (Weightage - 1%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Ours is like the critics award or the National Award where the movie or performance of the artists is rarely wrong.
Even though it was a non-deliberate omission by the mods, the first true Hot hatch really has been unlucky and we would never know how many votes it would have garnered. My guess is that it would have won the Poll or would have come close second. Reason being No one have to vote with their wallet We also had a poll earlier where Linea beat City hands down.

Last edited by carwatcher : 11th December 2015 at 20:54.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 23:46   #175
BHPian

Voted for Ford Aspire. Reason being, this looks to be the car among the lot that gives value to human life (safety features), offers good engine (the diesel), a full feature set, option of AT (a dual clutch one that is) and good mileage at the RIGHT price.

I feel that the Aspire deserves more success that what it has met with so far.
Old 12th December 2015, 00:09   #176
BHPian

Voted for the cla a class (Mistaking it for the A-class)

However, if I look back, a year that was about 'wider/ longer/ frugal/ Lighter' cars.
The Fly weight Kwid, The un-baleno, Ugly Noisy Jazz, and the wrong Ford were all new cars but failed to strike the chord.
The Creta came closest for me.
Old 12th December 2015, 01:09   #177
BHPian

Voted for the Kwid. My shortlist had these cars: S-Cross, Baleno, Creta, Kwid. Went by the process of elimination. S-Cross, although a very competent car, gets eliminated due to uninspiring looks and the lack of petrol and automatic options that render the package incomplete.
Creta, again a very nice car, but does not bring anything new to the table that is not already being offered by other cars at equal or lower price already. Expectations from a 17 lakh car are much higher and good looks alone are not sufficient to make it COTY. Now, Baleno and Kwid both caused upheavals in their segments, but the kind of features, space and looks Kwid has brought to the entry level hatch segment, were previously unheard of. This is also the segment that is most relevant to the average Indian, and therefore, Kwid is my choice for Car of the Year 2015.
By the way, Renault have gone out on a limb taking on the heavyweights Alto and Eon, and they have had a great start so far. This could be make or break for Renault in India.
Slightly off topic, if there was a Manufacturer of the Year award, my choice hands down would be Maruti Suzuki this year. They have launched multiple new and improved products, have focused on safety in a big way (ABS & airbags on even base versions), started offering automatic transmissions across their product range, introducing SHVS and passing its price benefits to the customers. NEXA is the only major mis-step they have taken this year.

Last edited by mustang_shelby : 12th December 2015 at 01:16. Reason: fixed typo
Old 12th December 2015, 10:12   #178
BHPian

Voted for the Baleno. A true premium hatch from the most reliable car manufacturer in the country is definitely a winner to me. If not constrained by the Nexa thing, I'm sure this car will do even better numbers.
Old 12th December 2015, 10:35   #179
Senior - BHPian

For me, it is a close contest between the Kwid and the Creta. I liked both the cars very much, had Renault given at-least the power steering and A/C for the base version in the Kwid, I would have voted for it outright.

The Creta however, is an all rounder for me that gives superb level of equipment, refinement and power options for the price that you pay for it. This is an outright winner for me.
Old 12th December 2015, 10:37   #180
BHPian

I voted for the Creta. Though Duster was the pioneer of this segment, Creta has added a touch of class making it more wantable. A good petrol automatic is also a requirement which Hyundai has to address.
Closed Thread