Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2015, 10:18   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
Just one doubt...Punto Abarth was not included for any particular reason?
Just guessing here but possibly because its not an all new car as such but just an existing model with a brand new engine option.
Old 15th December 2015, 12:23   #227
BHPian

Voted for kwid.
A game changer for Renault. A small car unlike any seen in the past and the real competition to the might of the Maruti Alto IMHO.

Last edited by _chikku : 15th December 2015 at 12:25.
Old 15th December 2015, 13:45   #228
BHPian

Voted for Kwid.
This car has the potential to shake up the segment. It adds a lot more to the segment and creates new expectations. This can really be the new benchmark in that segment.
Old 15th December 2015, 13:52   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I expect Kwid to surge ahead but the interesting battle seems to be for the 3rd spot - will the Baleno make it or will the Ford twins pip it is the question!
I expect Figo+Aspire to race ahead of Baleno. Baleno is nothing but a redesigned Swift. We already have better cars in its segment. In that sense the car is not a significant one. On the other hand Ford have done a brilliant job with Figo+sedan. The design is great, feature rich compared to its competition and the fact that it has 6 airbags deserves a better spot.

Note to mods: sorry for creating another post. Kindly merge this with my previous post if possible.
Old 15th December 2015, 14:00   #230
BHPian

Kwid cannot be car of the year for me as by electing it I am sending out message to car manufacturers - 'unsafe cars can be a hit, just reduce the price'
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 14:52   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Kwid cannot be car of the year for me as by electing it I am sending out message to car manufacturers - 'unsafe cars can be a hit, just reduce the price'
Absolutely True!

I'm actually to see that Bhpians are voting for Kwid. No matter how big it looks. Crash test it and it will become a lump of tin.

I shall feel absolutely pity if Kwid becomes Team-BHP Car of the Year.

Even though our rules for safety are lax but as a manufacturer one should set new benchmarks rather than towing in line like others.

My vote for Ford Figo.
  • Build Quality
  • Powerful diesel engine
  • After sales. I have a Fiesta, so experience.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 15th December 2015 at 14:53.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 15:06   #232
BHPian

Hi All,

My vote goes to Ford Figo:
Reasons:
1) The car provides the dual clutch Automatic transmission as an option at a reasonable price
2) It has the option of 6 airbags
3) It is fresh and looks good
4) Handles reasonably well

Other close contenders would be the usual suspects: Kwid and Creta

DC Avanti is a good shot at a sports car but I am shocked it does not have airbags.

S Cross is overpriced and again does not offer automatic transmission and 6 airbags even as an option, which is silly.

As for the others well it would have been nice to have the Abarth Punto as an option which though is really not a new car (hence I guess doesn't figure in the list) is definitely a "new take" on hot hatches. It would have given a tough fight I guess!!

Cheers!!
Old 15th December 2015, 15:13   #233
BHPian

I understand what you people are saying and I truly support the safety aspect here. But we have to see the product as a whole and not just the safety features because in India, most companies don't give importance to safety. Even Figo base model doesn't have ABS and has just driver airbag only. Also, if I'm not wrong then Creta base model doesn't have airbags either. As long as we don't have a stringent government policy regarding safety, I guess we'll have to deal with these things. Otherwise, cars with no safety equipments should not be considered for this award at the first place.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 15:25   #234
BHPian

The mind and soul game here. Mind says Kwid but the soul goes with Creta.
Finally Kwid walked away with my soul.
Old 15th December 2015, 15:31   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Absolutely True!
Crash test it and it will become a lump of tin.
Do we have official crash test results for KWID?
Old 15th December 2015, 16:42   #236
BHPian

Any Car of the Year award should go to a vehicle which has either set some new standards/bechmarks or in its segment or just created a new segment altogether. Accordingly I shortlisted the following -
1. Renault Kwid
2. Hyundai Creta
3. Mahindra TUV 300
4. DC Avanti

I own a Creta and I dont have any experience of the other 3 vehicle. So i took a TD of the Kwid yesterday, checked out the TUV300 (not driven though) and only checked out the Avanti on my PC.

All these 3 have tried to do something different, unique.
However,
The Avanti somehow lacks the appeal at the price point. I would not want to spend close to half a crore on a brand like DC (am not much of a fan of most of his designs) I really think someone should introduce a car like the mazda mx5. The San Storm was one such vehicle a little ahead of its time maybe.
The Mahindra's have introduced something really fresh no doubt. But I personally find the design very uninspiring.
The Creta I have reviewed it in depth and there is no doubt that this is a great car that has literally carved out a niche segment for itself.
The Kwid - this car is again revolutionary for similar reasons as the Creta - creating a unique place for itself. They targeted the most basic segment but not by offering basic looks. I want to buy this car only for its looks vis a vis the price. The 800, Eon all have wierd proportions. This one is a stunner. The engine maybe small, the interiors basic and the metalwork seems incredibly thin (open the boot and tap the edge, rings like tin). Till we get some clarifications on the safety ratings, and if they manage to meet them, this car is a beauty.
I was distraught between this and the Creta. But somehow the Creta has a much easier task to succeed then this. Creta had a segment waiting for it to come, whereas the Kwid has had to innovate in a segment that is so closely packed with price differences of around 50k. And they put in a touch screen device with GPS and driver side Airbag. And its so spacious. Beat that.
So my verdict is - Renault Kwid
The Goan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 17:32   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goan View Post

I own a Creta and I dont have any experience of the other 3 vehicle. So i took a TD of the Kwid yesterday, checked out the TUV300 (not driven though) and only checked out the Avanti on my PC.

I was distraught between this and the Creta. But somehow the Creta has a much easier task to succeed then this. Creta had a segment waiting for it to come, whereas the Kwid has had to innovate in a segment that is so closely packed with price differences of around 50k. And they put in a touch screen device with GPS and driver side Airbag. And its so spacious. Beat that.
So my verdict is - Renault Kwid
Coming from a Creta owner, your vote is huge for Kwid.

Infact it should actually be counted as two.
Old 15th December 2015, 18:02   #238
BHPian

Voted for Creta as it continues to redefine segment just as i10/i20 have done in the past. Ignoring the premium pricing which comes with it, the sheer consistency in quality and fit/finish that Hyundai has delivered ups the game in this segment. I also believe Hyundai is able to strike the balance between the appetite of Indians for SUV as well as the size considerations for the country very well.
Old 15th December 2015, 22:17   #239
BHPian

Voted for Kwid. Not sure why people are so afraid of safety standards to not vote for this innovative car (it has Airbags) because if car built quality is a matter, then half of Maruti cars would never appear on Team-BHP. Just my thought!
Old 16th December 2015, 00:30   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilicious View Post
Voted for Kwid. Not sure why people are so afraid of safety standards to not vote for this innovative car (it has Airbags) because if car built quality is a matter, then half of Maruti cars would never appear on Team-BHP. Just my thought!
Completely agree with you on this. For the safety aspects being talked about, i guess it should be taken into account that how safe is an alto or even a swift for that matter. Well done Renault.
Closed Thread