Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2015, 09:43   #241
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Absolutely True!

I'm actually to see that Bhpians are voting for Kwid. No matter how big it looks. Crash test it and it will become a lump of tin.

I shall feel absolutely pity if Kwid becomes Team-BHP Car of the Year.
[/list]
Sir, I disagree. Suggestion: see the biggest selling cars in India and see which model (base one with no safety feature or top model with all safety features) sells the most in India. Most of the drivers do not even wear seat belt (only in Metros with the fear of challan do they wear seat belt). Barring baleno and new figo, no mass market car gives airbags and/or ABS in their base model (most do not even provide rear wash/wipe and defogger !!), creta included.

Now consider the segment Kwid is in and what extra it brings to the table - Competing in the lowest and most price conscious segment, against an eternal market leader, offering a plain boring and bare bone (downright poor quality interiors, my family has one alto, so I know) model which ppl buy without batting their eyelids, since no one, hyundai, mahindra included, has dared to compete. It might still not sell, as renault is no match to maruti sales network and image, but it still is the strong contender or COTY (just like Nano).

Coming to creta, what unique thing it offers? Hyundai made a vehicle which should be selling at ~10 lakhs but saw that 10-12 lakh segment is filled with strong competition, so decided to launch with price where no one sells and they call it "creating a niche segment".
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 09:58   #242
BHPian

Would have surely voted for the Abarth Punto had it made it to the list. Voted for Scross since this looked to change in Maruti's cheap car image and has succeeded to a certain extent. MS took the gamble to setup Nexa showrooms and it seems to be paying off. The car itself is fun to drive and the DDIS 320 is a monster. It is one of the most exciting diesel cars below 20L and more so with the current discounts.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:41   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not voted yet. At this time not clear/convinced to which car my vote should go to This is a tough one. My Contenders.

Kwid: Has created a real buzz in the entry segment and helped revive Renault's fortunes. An aspirational entry level car in a segment ruled pretty much by Alto. On the down side, have not see the buzz translate into numbers. While 5000+ is a good start, it is a car with potential to do 10,000+ easily

Ford Figo/Aspire: Segment defining diesel engine and power, DCT Automatic with excellent price and features including 6 airbags. Started the trend of Safety across the range which has started becoming the norm.

Creta: What a block buster from Hyundai. The right blend of features, looks and performance. Gave the regular buyer a comfortable choice.

Baleno: Won't be my choice. Maruti has done a good job with it, but I don't think it redefines its segment in anyway.

Overall a good set of launches. Cars like the S Cross (Explosive 1.6), TUV 300 (Diesel 7 Seater AMT), Lodgy (IMO a product that should sell better) all brought in something unique to the industry this year.

Quoting myself. Finally cast my vote and it goes to the Kwid.

Looking at my shortlist:
  • Creta: Great car no doubt. But Hyundai had to really mess up to do badly(which they did not). The Creta entered a segment where there was no Maruti/Toyota or Honda. The main competitors- Duster, Terrano and Ecosport were from the smaller manufacturers with a much lower reach compared to Hyundai. They did well to take the USP's of the competitors and ensure that the negatives were handled- And a blockbuster was born.
  • Figo/Aspire: My vote would have gone for one of these but for one fact-Ford is really unable to market it well enough and the numbers are poor by segment standards. A car of the year should also be able to sell well (In my view).
  • Baleno: A nice effort from Maruti and a block buster. But even less segment defining than the Creta.
  • SCross: Definitely a segment definer. Explosive 1.6- Not a term one associates with Maruti in the recent years. But sales are not as per Maruti's high standards.
  • TUV300: A successful launch by Mahindra. Gave us the first AT 7 seater. Forced Maruti to follow suit with the Ertiga.

Which brings us to a Kwid. A company that is a fringe player in India, confidently entering a segment where the King-Maruti has ruled for ever, and bringing in a product that has managed to capture the buyers imagination. Was disappointed with the 5000+ numbers considering the wait periods, but just read an article that indicated that Renault will increase production to 8-10,000 units in 3 months. I doubt if a Non Maruti/Hyundai car has even crossed 10,000 units. The Kwid looks well on the way to achieve that.

So the Kwid it is.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th December 2015 at 10:42.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:50   #244
BHPian

My vote goes to the Ford Figo. Although one of the less voted car in the list yet I love what ford has done to evolutionise the new figo. A class leading high performance diesel, a DSG automatic with a higher capacity engine is a great recipe for a modern B+ segment hatchback. Sure the handling and the build quality aren't as stellar as before but then again it has got what it takes to be capable hatchback for a modern family. I wish ford all the best for their new figo and see it sale high.
Old 16th December 2015, 11:18   #245
BHPian

I wanted to make the voting pattern graphical to understand the trends:

1. Kwid has been increasing its vote share over last 5 days
2. Creta increased a bit but is back to its original level from 5 days back
3. Baleno has lost out quite a bit till date
4. Ford twins have maintained vote share and are now only a handful of votes away from 3rd place! I expect them to be on 3rd place in a couple of days

Will update again after a couple of days
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!-picture1.jpg  

avdhesh15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 11:24   #246
BHPian

Honestly not surprised by the votes received by Datsun GO+
But, truly surprised when I noticed that Avati got some votes for the car of the year.

Avanti's price and safety are at two far ends in this car.
Nor are the looks any impressive.
Old 16th December 2015, 13:38   #247
BHPian

I can see that many members feel that safety must be a major criteria in deciding the merit of a car. I totally agree. Its been too long that because of cost cutting, manufacturers have dtayed away from offering basic safety (abs, airbags) equipment as standard in the cars. These are still being offered as optionals. Similarly crash tests. It is imperative that Standardised Crash tests for all vehicles being sold have to be conducted and their results kept wide open to the public.
Coming back to the topic of voting for the Car of the Year, we (the voters) have no choice but to consider all the cars in the fray, even those where safety features are an 'option'.
However I think, all institutions (magazine, news channels, internet portals) that conduct these COTY awards should together decide that any vehicle that lacks basic safety features (Airbags, ABS, etc) in any of its variants will not be eligible for the COTY awards.
And they could go further and maybe constitute the UCOTY (unsafe car of the year award) for exactly these cars that are not eligible.
If you give people a choice, the masses tend to compromise safety over economy. This is where institutions must step in to regulate and set some standards.
All manufacturers use the COTY awards for huge marketing gains. Imagine not being eligible.
Just my 2 cents
Old 16th December 2015, 14:28   #248
BHPian

Voted for Figo Aspire, simply because the car as a package is amazingly VFM, some people have expressed doubts over the built quality but that still stands head and shoulders above its main competitors. Airbags as a standard is helpful too. The top end is simply outstanding!
Not much of a thought about this one as far as I am concerned.

Remember, we are not voting for the best selling car in India but the best new car. I simply do not get the Kwid's share - Looks like a cross between Alto and Etios Cross plus the lack of safety features across variants. I keep asking myself, am I missing something? The Creta is a far better proposition than Kwid.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 16th December 2015 at 14:34.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:42   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goan View Post
All manufacturers use the COTY awards for huge marketing gains. Imagine not being eligible.
Just my 2 cents
Excellent idea! considering companies flaunt their COTY award so proudly ("most awarded car"; you are following car of the year - so on), there should be minimum norm for eligibility. And that should be - no model variant sold without Airbags and ABS.

On a lighter note - this gate criteria will make our voting choice for Tbhp COTY much easier - only Baleno i think!
Old 16th December 2015, 14:58   #250
BHPian

This is a comparison across the segments. IMO there is no point in comparing the power / safety features / comfort or anything of that sort of one segment to another. For me, COTY would be more on how it altered the market scene. For that my vote goes to Kwid. As duster did sometime back, Kwid redefined the segment and ventured into a zone where Maruti was reigning. With more than perfect pricing strategy, gave the shoppers bang for the buck!

-biju

Last edited by bijubalan : 16th December 2015 at 15:00.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:22   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Voted for Figo Aspire, simply because the car as a package is amazingly VFM, some people have expressed doubts over the built quality but that still stands head and shoulders above its main competitors. Airbags as a standard is helpful too. The top end is simply outstanding!
Not much of a thought about this one as far as I am concerned.

Remember, we are not voting for the best selling car in India but the best new car. I simply do not get the Kwid's share - Looks like a cross between Alto and Etios Cross plus the lack of safety features across variants. I keep asking myself, am I missing something? The Creta is a far better proposition than Kwid.
Sir, by that measure, I dont think why any car in the list other than Land rover discovery, should be our COTY. you yourself said that figo aspire build quality is doubtful, though above its direct competitors. There is compromise. Otherwise ideal COTY should have an engine of Buggati, luxury of a royce, off road capabilities of a hummer and looks of a lambor...at the price of a nano.

For me, COTY choice goes like this -

1. Segment competitive scenario (size of segment market, size of dominant players, ease of entry for a new player)
2. Model competitive preposition/USP (Price competitiveness, VFM, basically anything and everything which can potentially snatch market share relatively easily due to inherent product attribute)
3. Relevance (Ideally every market segment should have enough players/choices for customers, as it will promote innovation, keep prices realistic and grow overall segment. One dominant player is not good)
4. Ofcourse, personal choice

Kwid faces the toughest entry barrier - Low price , single player ruled segment, brand image, low margins, dealership and service network to support high volume sales (lack of which can potentially kill the prospects of Nissan brand altogether in India - ask Tata).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:55   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
. you yourself said that figo aspire build quality is doubtful, though above its direct competitors.
First - I never said the build quality is doubtful, I said, some members have felt so.

Quote:
Sir, by that measure, I dont think why any car in the list other than Land rover discovery, should be our COTY
I don't want a tank on the road - but I want something where atleast I have some semblance of safety. Any new car coming in this day and age without decent safety is a travesty. Be it from Maruti, Ford, Renault or anyone.

Quote:
Kwid faces the toughest entry barrier - Low price , single player ruled segment, brand image, low margins, dealership and service network to support high volume sales.
I don't think that's the way I would judge it. Eventually it depends how does the car benefit you, rather than the company or the market or for that matter anything else.
When I am to judge a car, the first question I ask myself is if it is safe for my family be driven in - Everything else comes later.

However, you are completely entitled to your views and as someone said, to each his own!
Old 16th December 2015, 16:09   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Eventually it depends how does the car benefit you, rather than the company or the market or for that matter anything else.
When I am to judge a car, the first question I ask myself is if it is safe for my family be driven in - Everything else comes later.

I respect the view that safety should be first priority when you are buying a car. But, safety comes at a cost, so we should judge it by the segment the car is in. Its COTY we are voting for, not the safest car in India. Why compare kwid with figo aspire on safety, when I dont think any of the two has been crash tested as of now. In this case safety is just perception, not a proven fact. Top model Kwid has an air bag, so does the figo base model, and kwid top model is still cheaper than figo base model I think (Baleno base model has Airbag and ABS too, by the way).

Dont get me wrong, I love Figo myself. Would buy it if I would be looking to buy a car now. But COTY is not about my purchase consideration only.
Old 16th December 2015, 18:01   #254
Lij
BHPian

I haven't driven any of these cars, so to vote the yardsick would be the reviews by Team BHP. Below are the parameters on which I will judge a car and in order of priority -

1. Drive-ability

2. Handling

3. Safety

4. Ride Quality

5. Build Quality

6. Practicality

7. Value for Money

8. After Sales Support

These parameters and preferences will change for each individual, like some might have safety as the highest priority and in that case the results will vary quite a bit. Also the points that I gave is also keeping in mind the price point of these cars, so its never a like for like comparison as cars are from varying segments. For example in a Kwid single airbag is good while dual airbags would have been great, but just dual airbags are not good enough on a S-Cross or a Creta.

Keeping the above parameters in mind, and having weighted the scores in that order below are my picks order of ranking. I couldn't include the DC Avanti and Land Rover Discovery Sport as we don't have any official Team BHP reviews here.

1. Maruti S-Cross (282 points) - This is my COTY but not by much, a brilliant all-round package, great drive-ability, handling and ride quality. Very good build quality and good safety levels, should have provided 6 airbags and this would have leaped ahead in the pack. VFM is were it took the hit as the initial pricing of the 1.6l went through the roof, but looks like we are getting some significant discounts for this engine option now.

2. Ford Aspire (281 points) - Yes, it was that close in my rankings, the Ford ASS is were it took the beating, along with a lower handling, build and ride quality than what we have come to expect of a Ford. It pipped the Figo in practicality.

3. Ford Figo (278 points) - Exactly same points on all parameters with the Aspire except practicality as the Aspire had a better boot space. Practicality of a hatch is there in the Figo, and sure we can fold the rear seats down, but when travelling with 4 passengers the Aspire pips the Figo in this aspect.

4. Maruti Baleno (277 points) - With a better build quality, Baleno could have easliy been my COTY, only point where it did not do well.

5. Renault Kwid (274 points) - A brilliant entry level car offered by Renault and could be the game changer in its segment. If I hadn't jotted down my points, I would have given it the COTY. The most VFM car in the list, it lost out mainly due to the ASS and added to it an AMT and a co-passenger air bag this would definitely have been my COTY.

6. Renault Lodgy (269 points) - This looks a very competent offering from Renault and had it been from a Maruti or Hyundai stable, could have been doing very well. Only place it really lagged was the ASS, otherwise its a very practical vehicle to carry 7 on board with great drive-ability, ride and build quality.

7. Hyundai Creta (266 points) - A lot going for Creta as the sales suggest, but VFM took a hit as its priced real high just as the S-Cross. But where the S-Cross scored over Creta were the handling, ride quality and practicality and as these points where among the top priorities in my list, S-Cross is my COTY.

8. Mercedes CLA-Class (259 points) - Safest car in the list with NCAP of 5 stars, but lost out mainly on drive-ability, practicality and pricing.

9. Mahindra TUV3OO (256 points) - Lost points mainly due to the ride quality and drive-ability on the highway.

9. Honda Jazz (252 points) - Car that scored highest in practicality.

10. Chevrolet Trailblazer (246 points)

11. Tata Bolt (238 points)

12. Datsun Go+ (182 points)
Lij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 18:29   #255
Senior - BHPian

Small car - Kwid
Premium hatch - Baleno
SUV - Creta

These are my choices for COTY award, but i can vote only one

So after lots of thought i voted for Baleno. Reasons -

1 Fresh, new & chunky design from Maruti.
2 All models has safety features which is just great.
3 Its very spacious with large boot unlike other Maruti Hatchs.
4 Top end model is loaded with features.
5 16 inch broad rubber for top end, adds to looks and safety as well as ride quality.
6 Drivability is good, handles well.
& last but not the least at all
7 Priced very well, in fact lower than expected.

Kwid is good but lacks in some areas. Also their service and spares availability is still unknown along with long term reliability. Creta is good, no doubt in that. But it comes for a price. So it has to be good at that price. Else no body will buy it. So my vote goes to Baleno
Closed Thread