Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21st December 2015, 12:53   #286
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Wanted to vote for the Kwid, but chose to go with Creta. The only reason why Creta gets the vote and not Kwid, is simply because, even though its a fantastic start from Renault on this journey, I need some more convincing that Renault can support this segment. Given the history, I think they are still not yet their, in terms of handling real large volumes. Will reserve my judgement for a few more months before I look at it again.

While on the other hand by history Hyundai gives one the confidence that they can support a good release.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2015 at 12:55.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the Hyundai Creta!

My first post on this forum highlighted my disapproval of Hyundai as a manufacturer. They had great engines, but that's where it all ended IMO.

With the Creta, that has changed! It is the first Hyundai I would consider picking up (ok - maybe not the first given the Sonata which is a perfect luxury car, but first mass market offering), and is a reflection of how far Hyundai has come since the early days.
Interiors, significantly improved ride/handling, brilliant engines and above average kit. The only flaw is the price-tag, which isn't too bad compared to what it's rivals offer!
Old 21st December 2015, 13:07   #288
Team-BHP Support

My vote goes to Hyundai Creta. Redefined the compact crossover segment, even with premium pricing sells in volumes competitors can only dream of. As a product, it is the most appealing compact SUV to me. I hope they launch an AWD version soon. A top end variant with AT would have been awesome, they missed a lot of customers.

Renault Kwid is the runner up for me, buy it's as deserving as the Creta. Reason: There is a lot of scope for improvement. I hope a 4 cylinder engine, AMT, ABS and Passenger side Airbags will be added in future. Otherwise a worthy alternative to the Maruti Alto. Great Job Renault, hope the dealerships and poor after sales support does not ruin this baby Duster's blockbuster run.

Maruti Baleno have done a great job by providing ABS and Airbags as standard kit, the lower Petrol variants are a steal at the price. Comparatively weaker 75hp diesel engine, huge price difference in base and top variants and it does not redefine the segment where already as much appealing premium hatchbacks are already available(i20, Jazz) few of the reasons it did not get my vote.

Ford Figo Diesel is a good car too but it loses my vote because it did not make much of the impact in the market. As a package it's a mixed bag, while the pumped up Diesel offers best in class performance it still is 8 Valve engine and is not as revv happy. The suspension too has been Maruti-fied for comfort, the signature Ford feel is gone. Lower variants feels too stripped down.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st December 2015 at 13:09.
Old 21st December 2015, 13:13   #289
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for the Kwid. I'm judging the car alone and not parameters like service support, brand, etc.

Like many people have mentioned, the Kwid is a game changer in the segment it has been launched in and has definitely raised the bar for the others. On the safety front, I think the Kwid is as safe / unsafe as all other cars in that segment so till we have regulations for safety, i don't see much changing in the A segment.

The other contenders were the Creta & Baleno. The Creta managed to find a sweet spot in that segment, but I think it's overpriced. The Baleno is a super effort from Maruti, but I really wish it was built better and the front didn't look so 'Swift' like. It's not often you come across a car that has more equipment than a Hyundai !

The Figo twins are also strong products, but the petrol engines let them down here.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 13:20   #290
BHPian

Voted for Renault Kwid for the simple reasons as listed below;

1. New Player in the Game, so we need not go to a certain Maruti and Hyundai always for a Budget Car.

2. Redefining the Playing Boundary.

If Production constraint was not around, I am sure it would have dented the sales figures of many reputed models.
soumobakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 13:28   #291
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Among the ones listed, each made it to the list on their own and that speaks volumes about what we at Team-BHP see in these cars!

Among these, the ones that are on top for me (not in order)
  • Renault Kwid for believing in what Maruti 800 did 3 decades ago!
  • Ford Aspire for demonstrating lessons learnt, and how a Compact Sedan's positioning and VFM proposition can be a threat to other Premium Sedans too
  • Maruti Baleno for being unafraid to step into a territory dominated by the established players, and for pricing it spot-on
  • Hyundai Creta for being futuristic, and a worthy alternative to the competition in terms of feature proposition
Where these lose points!
  • Ford Aspire isn't exemplary, we've seen sedans and compacts for some time now
  • Maruti Baleno mechanically is a Swift, with no bigger OR at least powerful engines and might soon start cannibalizing within the family
  • Hyundai Creta with another yearly price hike round the corner, might settle down to a healthy 5-6K per month, which if it was priced competitively (ignore S-Cross here) could have managed another 15-20% in sales
So...

Renault Kwid having caught the fancy of the industry, and with a possible 1 litre engine up for launch in an year, is my choice for the "Team-BHP Car Of The Year"!

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 13:29   #292
BHPian

Voted for the Creta. Kwid is a close second, but the differentiating factor is the after sales service.

From what i see on this poll, Creta is catching up with Kwid after the latter took an early lead
Old 21st December 2015, 14:37   #293

I vote for Renault Quid which is going to be the game changer in its segment with all the needs intact, good price point and milage (important aspect in India).
Runner up would be Renault's Duster AWD which is good for rural and urban roads with plush ride and handling.
Old 21st December 2015, 14:42   #294
BHPian

I vote for the Nissan Terrano. Nissan is running neck to neck with Toyota in most countries, with customer satisfaction and good quality.
Suzuki and Hyundai are a dying brand elsewhere on this planet, its just India and Japan/ South Korea keeping them alive. Suzuki finds it cost effective to export 4 motorcycles instead of one car, it uses the same container volume. Suzuki service centres have disappeared from North America since the beginning of 2014.
Though Hyundai has improved its designing on fluidic lines, they have a lot to learn from Kia, which is eating to their sales all over the planet. Mind you Hyundai owns 40% of KIA.
Old 21st December 2015, 14:44   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekatkar31 View Post
Voted for the Creta. Kwid is a close second, but the differentiating factor is the after sales service.

From what i see on this poll, Creta is catching up with Kwid after the latter took an early lead
Kwid is always leading Creta since the poll came up and that gap has just widened in the recent days. So, I don't think Creta will ever catch up Kwid now.

Note: I voted for Creta.
Old 21st December 2015, 15:57   #296

I vote for Baleno - superb car at this price point and comes loaded.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:19   #297
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I would like to know how many people will buy the Car of the Year after the results of this poll. Please post here. I not talking of people of would have bought the car anyway irrespective of the poll but those who were in 2 minds or had decided on something else but took the decision based on the results. I'm expecting a fairly large number here.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:47   #298

Car of the year has to be Honda city.. Baleno and creta and even the i20 elite come close enough but the city hits the spot just right
Old 21st December 2015, 17:21   #299
Senior - BHPian

For me a tough choice between the Creta and the S Cross.

I voted S Cross.
Old 21st December 2015, 18:56   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarufan View Post
Car of the year has to be Honda city.. Baleno and creta and even the i20 elite come close enough but the city hits the spot just right
Is Honda City present in the 2015 Team BHP Car of the Year 2015 poll-list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
I vote for the Nissan Terrano. Nissan is running neck to neck with Toyota in most countries, with customer satisfaction and good quality..
Is Nissan Terrano present in the 2015 Team BHP Car of the Year 2015 poll-list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaychandigarh View Post
Ford Aspire Is The Best Car In Terms Of Engine Power And Mileage And Value For Money Wonder Why People Are Voting For Cheap Car Kwid Which Has Nothing Substantial Except For Its Looks And Entry Price .
Ford Aspire/Figo might be good car & people have voted for it, I like the car too but that doesn't mean you can ridicule an honest effort from Renault in the form of Kwid. As an entry-level car, it has to be cheap or were you expecting Kwid to rival Figo's price and then you are praising the looks too...

If you can't appreciate something, there are no reasons to find fault with it as well [when there aren't much] and as a rival to Alto, it sure has substance. Yes, Alto might continue to sell more.

And Mr. Ajay, let me also tell you, that none of the the new Ford twins drive like the good old Fords used to.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I wanted to vote for Creta, but a Duster AWD pulled me back. Save for looks & better interiors, it is a better car for me.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st December 2015 at 19:00.
Closed Thread