Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2015, 11:57   #316
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

For me, Kwid ticks all the right boxes. The Creta makes a strong case for itself, but if I have to talk about what I get for my money, the former IMHO gives more bang for the buck. The segment needed something to shake things up, and Renault provided just that.
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:25   #317
BHPian

My vote goes to the Figo. I think it's the car of the year as it doesn't pretend to be what its not. It is a hatch and a safe one at that. Ford's done a great job with the safety features. The styling is appealing to most and it is solidly built. Most of the other options in the poll are IMHO vehicles that want to fit in a bracket which they are not built for. Hence my vote to the most honest car of the lot. The Baleno comes second for the same reasons.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:01   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been seeing the TBHP COTY poll as an honest poll - one that goes beyond marketing hype, and picks a car that scores on all areas including safety. But now I give up. The Kwid is going to win this year's TBHP COTY poll. But for all the features the car has, this COTY has no meaning for me. 29% of the respondents have voted for this. But when they buy a car, how many of them will buy this one ? May be 29% of those who voted for it .. ?
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:15   #319
Senior - BHPian

Same applies to the Nano winning the Poll few years back.
Now as we have lot of cars available if one votes just on the basis of purchase, No car will get more than say 15-20 votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have been seeing the TBHP COTY poll as an honest poll - one that goes beyond marketing hype, and picks a car that scores on all areas including safety. But now I give up. The Kwid is going to win this year's TBHP COTY poll. But for all the features the car has, this COTY has no meaning for me. 29% of the respondents have voted for this. But when they buy a car, how many of them will buy this one ? May be 29% of those who voted for it .. ?
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:24   #320
BHPian

I am voting for Creta, just because of its looks. I have not test driven any of these cars. So judging only from the BHP reviews and the looks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2015 at 13:50. Reason: Typo.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:25   #321
BHPian

Quote:
If you are referring to Safety aspect (or rather lack of) of Kwid, quoting GTO's comment from last year's Poll.

Quote:
We might as well kill the poll and award the COTY to the Toyota Corolla then! No car below it has been crash tested by the NCAP or IIHS (except the Go which faired poorly).

Why single out the Zest? Every other sub-15 lakh car launched in 2014 - including the i20 - has yet to pass global safety tests.
Link (Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is!)

I understand India made Creta has been crash tested and got 4+ ratings (can't clearly remember the exact scores), but are we sure sold in India Creta is having the same build quality as the India made one (export oriented). Considering the amount of posts going on in the Creta thread for the last 2-3 days and considering that Hyundai has not been officially releasing the weights for their recent launches, I wouldn't trust Hyundai as well. But again, that's my personal opinion.

Will I buy a Hyundai? Definitely yes, if it matches my conditions at the time of purchase consideration. Infact, I would have been one of the Creta owner if not for the overpriced Diesels and the stupid variant buildup.

If your point of view about honesty of the poll is not about safety, please excuse my above post.

And I would be buying Kwid (with AMT) whenever I feel like changing my WagonR and assuming there are no better launches at that price range. To provide some more perspective.

Will I buy Kwid as my primary car for both city & highway runs? No
Will I buy Kwid as a secondary car for city runabouts? Yes

And the key question,
Would I have bought Kwid as my primary car 5-7 years ago (not market point of view, but me turning back my age & personal situations) for both city & highway runabouts? Yes

Last edited by mrbaddy : 22nd December 2015 at 13:32.
mrbaddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:32   #322
BHPian

Well my vote goes for my Beloved Ford Figo TDCi 2011 model ZXi
Have done 69,000 kms on it and still going strong - though the services are not really cheap yet I get great performance and power from it. And with the inbuilt Bluetooth music system (best in its class) highway driving is pleasurable.
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:05   #323
BHPian

My vote goes whole heartedly for the TUV! It is a definitely a game changer in compact SUV segment with RWD, rugged contruction, excellent interior quality & space and the option of an AMT. It has the support of the Mahindra network. Yes it lacks punch in the top end, and is a 3 potter, but it has oodles of torque and driveability is excellent. It has the potential to become the perfect balance of city drive and off road getaways.
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:56   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Well my vote goes for my Beloved Ford Figo TDCi 2011 model ZXi
Have done 69,000 kms on it and still going strong - though the services are not really cheap yet I get great performance and power from it. And with the inbuilt Bluetooth music system (best in its class) highway driving is pleasurable.
I think you have to vote amongst the cars that are given as options and not what you own. The current Figo is a completely different beast to the one you own
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:43   #325
BHPian

Voted for Creta. For me, it presents itself as a comprehensive and sensible choice in its segment. A vehicle with awesome looks, segment best quality standards and consistency, well built and engineered (presumably) with potent engine options and safety features (sans the base) from a company known for its market reach and after sales support, makes me feel that it is worthy of the title. Am not sure if we can call it as overpriced, because it definitely makes its owners feel the 'value' of the price they paid for it and in the end, thats all that matters.

Super confused as to if it should be Kwid. Agreed that for the price point it is being offered, we cannot expect higher levels of quality and finesse, but somehow, did not feel like it is a well rounded product. Big cheers for Renault though, for showing that entry level cars can also be handsome and spacious.

On the safety front, i believe until the standards are mandated by law, no point in holding the manufacturers responsible for not selling their 5 / 4 star euro rated cars here. Agreed that creta got four star rating, but other than the gross weight indicator, we are not sure if the version sold in India is the same as the one tested. So, no point in holding kwid (or any other model) on safety front.
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:29   #326
BHPian

I voted for the Figo Aspire because I believe this car has, to a significant extent, overcome the limitations of the 4m rule and has been designed well with good amount of space and stunning looks. Also, the diesel engine for this car, makes it a great cruising car, I dare say a sleeper car, beating some of its upmarket (and expensive) competition hands-down.

Lastly the affordable price and add to it some discounts make it a sensible buy for a typical middle-class enthusiast who can't afford cars like Cruze or Superb.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:35   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
My vote goes whole heartedly for the TUV! It is a definitely a game changer in compact SUV segment with RWD, rugged contruction, excellent interior quality & space and the option of an AMT. It has the support of the Mahindra network. Yes it lacks punch in the top end, and is a 3 potter, but it has oodles of torque and driveability is excellent. It has the potential to become the perfect balance of city drive and off road getaways.
You have summarized all the attributes of TUV very aptly . RWD, rugged construction, excellent interior quality & space sealed the deal for me. Though the three cylinder engine was a downer (at least on paper), Mahindra has tweaked it very well to give oodles of low end torque, which aids in driveability. Add to it the dual mass flywheel, ample insulation over the firewall, under the hood helps maintain the NVH at comparatively low levels. The twin stage turbocharging was a smart move. 187Nm torque coming at 1100 rpm and then the peak torque of 230 Nm coming right from 1500 rpm pulls this 1.6 tonner without any fuss. Majority of my driving (80%) is in city and it is indeed the perfect balance of city drive and off road getaways. The top end punch was never on the top of my list, hence I was happy that M&M has sacrificed the top end punch for low end driveability.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 22nd December 2015 at 18:37.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:19   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I think you have to vote amongst the cars that are given as options and not what you own. The current Figo is a completely different beast to the one you own
I know the current figo is 1.5 and mine is 1.4 and new Figo is 100ps and mine is 69ps.
However I was just adding to my comment ... Anyways thx for pointing out
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:49   #329
BHPian

Not going by the majority voted for TUV300. The looks are by far the best of any other car launched in 2015. It does truly make its presence felt on roads taming auto rickshaws, most other sedans and hatchbacks.

On last couple of sightings I simply could not resist tailgating it to have a closer look.

Last edited by TMRT : 22nd December 2015 at 21:53.
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:09   #330
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
including safety. But now I give up. The Kwid is going to win this year's TBHP COTY poll.
Why single out the Kwid?

The Kwid competes with the Alto, Eon etc. Is it proven that its competitors are offering better safety? Have its competitors scored 5 stars in a crash test? Has the Kwid scored lower than its competitors in a crash test?

Until we have those results, the Kwid is as safe or unsafe as any other entry-level hatchback in my eyes.

Again, why single out the Kwid on safety?

Quote:
29% of the respondents have voted for this. But when they buy a car, how many of them will buy this one?
Come on, we're voting for the most significant new car of the year - not what car I will buy this year. Our first COTY went to the Tata Nano. A brilliant car & concept. I voted for it. But would I buy a Nano? Nope.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2015 at 23:11.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread