Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2015, 21:06   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Post re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Looks like Kwid will win this year's TBHP COTY award.
We all know the previous winners, But I was also interested to see how convincingly they had won it.

So I made a quick comparison to see this aspect from the previous years and also 2015 on the assumption that Kwid will eventually win it

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!-capture.jpg

Some points that I derive out of this is:
  • 2011 saw the highest total votes at 2626. Year 2015 might end up 3rd after Year 2014 or may even take the second spot.
  • XUV5OO has the record for taking the highest percentage of votes when it won(56.63%) followed by Duster(53.49%) and Ecosport (51.1%)
  • The record for the biggest "Margin of Victory" (percentage difference to the car in the next spot) also is the same order with XUV5OO being ahead by 46.73%, Duster (33.69%) and (32.75%)
  • The cumulative percentage of the top three cars are in the high 60s while in 2012 and 2013, it was almost 80%

This year will see the closest fight with Kwid being ahead by Creta by only 6%.
It reiterates the fact that we now have good choices and deciding which car to buy is getting tougher.

Also the cumulative percentage of the top 3 cars is on a low side (~67%).
This is heartening to see because it shows that we are getting good cars from more than one manufacturer.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 28th December 2015 at 21:17.
hemanth.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 08:31   #362
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

I wanted to give the Car of the Year award to XUV500 Automatic version. Since that option is not available, i gave my vote to Kwid.
jvk84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 09:56   #363
BHPian

Saddest part of the Indian Automobile Industry -

We have 2 Fords, 2 Renault's, 2 Tata's as a part of COTY in the past 7 years but all these manufacturers are light years behind the top 4 in sales, Maruti's single model surpasses the cumulative sales of all the 7 here, each month.

Till we look beyond, resale, A$$, maintenance costs, we'll never find the driving Nirvana, a 5.7 HEMI Loco costs as much as the 2.4 Jap Sleeper (hard bargain and timely buy included here).
Torquedo is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 16:18   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Saddest part of the Indian Automobile Industry -

We have 2 Fords, 2 Renault's, 2 Tata's as a part of COTY in the past 7 years but all these manufacturers are light years behind the top 4 in sales, Maruti's single model surpasses the cumulative sales of all the 7 here, each month.

Till we look beyond, resale, A$$, maintenance costs, we'll never find the driving Nirvana, a 5.7 HEMI Loco costs as much as the 2.4 Jap Sleeper (hard bargain and timely buy included here).
A vehicle which sells more doesnot necessarily mean it is the best. I do agree it helps when it comes to resale, but does not guarantee a better product. For example a 6 airbag Aspire is definitely a better bet than Dzire ZDi. Despite this Dzire sells more, primarily because Maruti has a better reach.
Even though other manufacturers have better products, they dont have the reach, which is why their sales are impacted.
For manufacturers like Maruti, Hyundai India is a big market with significant chunk of their sales coming from India. One possible reason why they are so aggressive while other manufacturers are not.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 16:59   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
...Dzire sells more, primarily because Maruti has a better reach.
Not exactly. How can you justify the Baleno sales of 8K units per month from just 60 NEXA outlets?
Old 29th December 2015, 18:14   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Not exactly. How can you justify the Baleno sales of 8K units per month from just 60 NEXA outlets?
The Baleno can be booked and serviced under normal Maruti dealer. So once you buy Baleno from NEXA, you are good with your regular dealer. And 8K is not a big number, the honda's, toyota's and for that matter even Ford had managed to sell Ecosport close to 7K during initial periods.
In my native, Maruti is the only option if you want to buy and get serviced locally. For most other manufacturers barring Mahindra one has to travel 50-100 KM. Now how many of us are willing to travel so much for regular service and resolve minor issues?
I am not saying Maruti cars are bad, they are good, but the primary reason for them selling in higher numbers is because of their reach.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 18:19   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I would wait and watch if it sustains 8k units. Baleno is in height of hype curve. That said- I have booked baleno
Old 29th December 2015, 19:09   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
I would wait and watch if it sustains 8k units. Baleno is in height of hype curve. That said- I have booked baleno
I will be very surprised if it does not. I have had 2-3 friends/relatives ask me an opinion on a premium petrol manual hatch back to buy. They were all leaning towards the Baleno. Frankly there is nothing to prevent recommending the Baleno over the competition. The petrol has a peppiness that all others lack and of course it's well loaded, spacious and backed by Maruti and one of Maruti's better quality products.

It won't win the car of the year, but it is probably the best choice for a petrol, manual, premium hatchback today. And that's where the majority of the customer base is. Expect sales to go well into 5 digits in the coming months.
Old 29th December 2015, 21:21   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Also the cumulative percentage of the top 3 cars is on a low side (~67%).
This is heartening to see because it shows that we are getting good cars from more than one manufacturer.
Nice perspective! Also in retrospective it would be great to analyse how our choice of COTY, ended up (Past/Present/History). That would also answer many questions especially in terms of how good is our representation of data sample in terms of both choice and justification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It won't win the car of the year, but it is probably the best choice for a petrol, manual, premium hatchback today. And that's where the majority of the customer base is. Expect sales to go well into 5 digits in the coming months.
+1. People were mostly leaning to i20 for the premium hatch. (Jazz/Polo in the race, but it was i20 for me just from sales). But with Baleno that equation I guess may be re-written. Backed by a good engine and a power after-sales, it can take the fight head on. Given a choice today, Baleno is surely a compelling proposition for many. But lets keep that debate for a different thread!

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2015 at 21:26.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 21:55   #370

Well said brother. Baleno is indeed the best package money can buy in the segment. I voted for the TUV 300 though as it triumphs over others with a greater margin in its segment.
Old 30th December 2015, 01:05   #371
BHPian

Whenever I used to do MCQs in exams I used to follow a method
a) Look for the answer which I have in mind among the options
b) Exclude whatever I am sure to be wrong
I followed the same method here. The answer I had in mind was not among the options, so I started excluding one by one.
1. Trailblazer, Mercedes CLA, DC avanti, Landrover: May be great cars, I dont know. I dont think I will ever get to know either, they are far beyond my reach. Case closed
2. s cross, creta: Both are good cars, no doubt. Had taken test drives of both for a relative, didn't find anything really interesting or ground breaking about them.
3. Lodgy, Go+ : Honestly I feel these two are undeserving candidates in this poll. I dont think even Renault or Datsun would consider them worthy of being called "car of the year"
4. Jazz, bolt: The only special thing about both these was the LCDs and touchscreens which I really dont care about. Considering the segment at which those are offered, thats nothing great also.
5. Baleno: The innovative thing I saw in this car was weight reduction in spite of growth in size. Otherwise it just looked like a mutated swift
So i was left with the kwid, the TUV and the figo/aspire. I chose the kwid for the design and styling and for the equipment provided for the price.
PS: The answer I was looking for was none other than Abarth Punto. That was the only car launched last year which made me wish I had a few lakh Rupees to spare :-P
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:58   #372
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2015 has shown us the best market ever in India, and it's a great time to be out shopping for a car. Choices & competition empower only one person - the car owner. Me, you, us.

The top 3 popular choices on the poll demonstrate exactly that. The Kwid, Creta & Baleno are all fantastic cars in their respective segments. These are the kind of models that make the competition work harder & the battle fiercer.

The market has spoken in their favour. The 3 have been rewarded with a phenomenal number of bookings & sales, making them instant successes. Even today, all 3 enjoy a waiting period. While the Kwid & Baleno surprised us with their value-for-money pricing, the Creta was positioned about a lakh above where it should have been. Hyundai took the gamble & it's paid off. After all, the Creta is the only can't-go-wrong SUV in the 15 lakh segment, backed by a powerful & dependable brand.

Of the impressive trio, the Renault Kwid has emerged as the Team-BHP Car of 2015. Renault has demonstrated that cheap cars can also offer great styling, a nice cabin, big boot (300 liters, no less) and comfortable ride quality. Top it up with the segment-best feature list and you have all the makings of a winner. To further improve the package, we hope that a bigger 1.0L petrol engine & AMT find their way to the Kwid's engine bay. Now, that would really be something.

Congrats kid! The title is well-deserved.

Last edited by GTO : 30th December 2015 at 14:49.
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 16:15   #373
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

I fail to see this car shine in the year to come, unless Renault does justice by providing good service to this car - which should still retain this car as "value for money".

Only time can tell.
Keerthivasan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 16:20   #374
BHPian

A Quick Re-Cap of previous Years Winners & % of votes garnered by them to win the Title :

COTY 2014 : TATA Zest (39.2%)
COTY 2013 : Ford Ecosport (51.1%)
COTY 2012 : Renault Duster (53.5%)
COTY 2011 : Mahindra XUV (56.6%)
COTY 2010 : Ford Figo (38.3%)
COTY 2009 : Tata Nano (38.4%)

Now, The Newest Title Holder Renault Kwid does it with only 29.28% votes which is till date the lowest ever. And to give an idea of the competition, Hyundai Creta wasn't far behind with 23.57% of votes. Sad that Hyundai has never managed to win the coveted title yet !!

So After Tata & Ford, Renault also becomes the TEAM-BHP Car of the Year Title Holder for the second time. Truly deserving Winner.

One quick thought, except for both the Tata Car's that held the TEAM-BHP COTY Title all have went to do well in market, some commanding long waiting periods. Conclusion : However hard does TATA try, the end results invariably turns out to be 'Market Dud'
MadAbtCars is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 17:33   #375
BHPian

So it's the Kwid! Congrats Renault-Nissan! The Kwid did thoroughly deserve the TBHPCOTY this time. Among all the candidates, it was by far the best value, most innovative, and had possibly the biggest impact in its segment. Here was a car that appealed to BOTH the brain and the heart, shocked buyers and sellers of cars two or even three segments above it, and yet sold for an absurdly low price.
The competition was tougher than ever this time, but none stood up to the Kwid:

Suzuki Baleno- A fantastic package overall, has immense character, packed to the brim with tech, and most importantly, a far more mature hatchback experience in things such as execution of little details inside the car and distribution of variants, not seen on a <10L hatchback before. But the underpowered DDiS and the fact that the i20 still felt a bit more premium to some, killed it for the Baleno. The weight also raised safety concerns.
The fact is, Maruti really tried making this car different, and fight with a different strategy, which we couldn't have expected from them. One just could not come to terms with a few things about the car, regardless of whether they were good or bad. Had this very car been a bit more ordinary, ie beige interior, 90 BHP motor and a par-for-the-segment weight figure, and hence been more easily acceptable, it would've won many more votes in my opinion.

Mahindra TUV300- It always was something of a love-it-or-hate-it story for the TUV, and it showed on the poll too. Unfortunately, the haters outnumbered the lovers for this SUV in this poll. Its sheer utility, VFM, and hardcore appeal didn't work out here. However, credit has to be given where it's due, for Mahindra being Mahindra, made a proper SUV in such a small physical and economical footprint, and showed unforeseen maturity on many levels while at that. A couple of years down the line, with the niggles ironed out, and possibly a small facelift to even out the styling somewhat, AND a much deserved 4X4 model, and the TUV could become an unparalleled package.

Ford Figo/Aspire- If not for BOTH the Kwid and Creta to fall in the same year as the Figo, I think it would've been far closer to the top, if not on it. It was the easy choice for the enthusiast. Class-leading engines, black interiors, great VFM, and six airbags and other top-notch safety kit. It's a real pity Ford chose to make the road behavior very artificial and average. If it would've handled anything like what the last-gen car did, I bet it would've given everyone else a run for their money.
As for the Aspire, it's sure a great car on its own, but the CS segment itself I feel need not really exist anymore, with the arrival of the newer-gen premium hatchbacks. I mean, okay, it's a good car alright, but along with its rivals, I'd be happy to see the whole segment go.
Also, a full size sedan based on the Figo would've looked really great, and perhaps would've been a way to revive the Fiesta moniker too. But apparently, Ford were so disappointed with the Fiesta's performance that they chose not to trudge into the C-segment sedan territory at all.

Suzuki S-Cross- It's just the case of the Baleno, only amplified, and in the wrong segment in the market. It has surely gathered more votes than it can sales, that's for sure. It has its own appeal, but anyone would, despite loving the S-Cross on paper, think and head for the Hyundai showroom. That's what the Creta has done to it. Also, all things considered, we are still not ready for this kind of a car at this money, as people still tend to lean towards the most car per car for the money than the best car for the money in this segment. In case of the Creta, both seem to have coincided; in case of the S-Cross, it may be better than the Creta in many departmrnts (such as alloy wheel design LOL!), but the more-car-per-car deal seals it against the S-Cross. And the S-Cross by itself had a few very unusual things about it, such as the name, front end styling, the NEXA exclusivity, etc. to further put away people. I would still buy an S-Cross over a Creta though, for the main reason that it has character, which the Creta simply doesn't have as much of.

Hyundai Creta- As is obvious from the numbers, this was the biggest rival to the Kwid in this year's chart. Hyundai have totally nailed it, set new standards in several departments, and yet it doesn't come across as much of a surprise that they have. It is like nothing else at its price point, there is not one serious negative you could point out, and you simply can't go wrong with it. But that's pretty much its only positive. The fact that you can't go wrong with it. Otherwise, like it has no real negatives, it has no real positives going for it either. The styling? The front end is striking, but the rear is not the best-looking. It is also more of a 'please-all-displease-none' kind of a design, and will lose its novelty with time.
Interior? It's again average, and exactly what one would expect out of a 15-lakh rupee Hyundai. Nothing less, but nothing more either. The fact that Mahindra's 15-lakh rupee cars are down on quality and have niggles, or that Toyota's 15-lakh rupee cars have the quality, but are actually 20-lakh rupee cars now, only make the Creta look relatively superior.
Engine? It's a great engine, no doubt. But there were no surprises to be had here either. This engine has been around for quite a while now, and it feels the same in the Creta as it would in any other Hyundai.
Dynamics? It's a Hyundai; case closed. No need to speak too much on this point. However, it's quite good for a Hyundai, as reviews have said.
Value? It is clearly overpriced for what it is, and Hyundai have kept raising prices a little slowly. The lack of genuine competition, form factor appeal, and the unusually long new-car euphoria mean that Hyundai have gotten away with it so far.
Also, because we at T-BHP tend to follow the convention of listing out all alternatives in our budget and eliminating them one-by-one while buying a car, the Creta with the least negatives stays on top priority. However, it still doesn't have proper credentials of its own, or a specific customer base to target to. Hence it ends up being more of a bits-and-pieces car than an all-rounder. However, Hyundai have chosen exactly the right bits, and it doesn't feel like it's falling short in any way. Hyundai have stressed it's the 'Perfect SUV', but that is too tall an ask. Due to the sheer unmatched marketability of the Creta, Hyundai have chosen to sell a compact crossover as an SUV against proper SUV's, which could have been risky, but truth is, the Creta is exactly as much SUV as 99% of Indian buyers will ever need. So in fact the proper SUV's start looking too much in comparison.

But the COTY is not for just good cars. It is for special cars. And none of these have managed to be special enough. The Baleno and Creta were somewhat special, which also showed in the votes, but not near the champion.

And hence, the Kwid. It may not be perfect (the 1.0 with AMT and ABS will be that, no worries), but it's everything short of it. It has redefined what one may come to expect of a cheap car, and has certainly proved to be a benchmark product. But that's what everyone have stated and acknowledged already. What we didn't is that Renault have stayed honest, and chosen to sell the car on its merit rather than creating overambitious marketing strategies, or making new 'segments' like 'LUV'. In the entry level segment, this is unheard of. We have even seen Altos chasing parachutes, but Renault only let people know without too much fuss that the new champion has arrived, and the market responded. For example, look how Mahindra are loudly and clearly calling the KUV100 an 'SUV'. No such tricks were necessary for the sheer merit of the Kwid. That also shows the kind of confidence they had in the product.
The Kwid will certainty take Renault places in India, places were even an AWD Duster couldn't have taken them . And they have shown what they are otherwise capable of with the Duster and Lodgy. So we could have another capable major player in the market. That's only good news.

Last edited by mukul32 : 30th December 2015 at 17:43.
mukul32 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread