Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30th December 2015, 17:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Looks like Kwid will win this year's TBHP COTY award.
We all know the previous winners, But I was also interested to see how
convincingly they had won it.

This year will see the closest fight with Kwid being ahead by Creta by only 6%.
It reiterates the fact that we now have good choices and deciding which car to buy is getting tougher.

Also the cumulative percentage of the top 3 cars is on a low side (~67%).
This is heartening to see because it shows that we are getting good cars from more than one manufacturer.
I look at it in a different way. There was no car this year that truly deserved the car of the year title. None of them are inspiring products. They are mere improvements over the existing range in the market. Nano, Figo, XUV, Duster, Ecosport and Zest had some special character with respect to their the other competitors. None of the product this year can be termed as landmarks. Though Kwid raised the level, it did not create one. There is still nothing like a Nano or XUV in the market yet.

Still, given the choices, Kwid deserved the title.
Old 30th December 2015, 18:39   #377
BHPian

A review of the 'affordable' cars this year:
Note: Definition of Affordable varies from person to person. But seeing 7000+ Creta produced, I can see that there are many takers.

Renault Kwid: I honestly didn't know what to expect when I heard about the Kwid. Coming from a 'weak' brand, my expectations weren't very high. But with great features, space and pricing, Renault seems to have done a great job. Just hope they can ramp up the production. The introduction of 1.0 L engine + AMT will just take the car further up the ladder.

Just a request to Renault: Can we have dual airbags and ABS atleast as an option? That can be added to the list of "segment first features"

Datsun GO+: The less said about the car, the better.

Ford Figo/Aspire: Nothing revolutionary for a next gen car, except the new diesel engine and a few features. The old car was slightly more spacious and had a bigger boot. Handling and build quality have gone southwards from the old car, but still acceptable.

Tata Bolt: When is Tata getting rid of the Vista platform?

Maruti Baleno: My no.2 pick. Maruti did everything expected pretty well. Icing on the cake: Dual airbags and ABS on every variant and price.

Honda Jazz: The car that has some serious space. Honda should concentrate of good quality products like the Jazz and forget the Mobilio. One crucial advantage: CVT automatic. The Elite i20 doesn't have an Automatic on offer.

Mahindra TUV300: I didn't find anything exciting in this car. I would rather buy an i20/Jazz at the same price. Simply doesn't appeal to me.

Renault Lodgy: Lodgy didn't perform well for Renault. I'm expecting it to just go down the drain.

Maruti S-Cross: My No.3 pick. It's a great product from Maruti, although the cross over segment isn't understood by some people. 1.6 diesel variants are being sold at great prices now.

Hyundai Creta: Hyundai did a good job, but missed some features that are found in their lower models. That's the sole reason it doesn't get No.3.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 23:47   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I look at it in a different way. There was no car this year that truly deserved the car of the year title. None of them are inspiring products. They are mere improvements over the existing range in the market. Nano, Figo, XUV, Duster, Ecosport and Zest had some special character with respect to their the other competitors. None of the product this year can be termed as landmarks. Though Kwid raised the level, it did not create one. There is still nothing like a Nano or XUV in the market yet.

Still, given the choices, Kwid deserved the title.
What exactly was special about the Zest? It was a brilliant effort from Tata and a well rounded car but had nothing special IMO. Neither did the old Figo at the time of the launch.
Duster, a cocktail of old Renault's designed by a Romanian budget brand wasn't very competitive either. It was a pretty good looking car in its own segment at that time but wasn't breathtaking. Kwid is quite similar to the duster then, maybe even better. The Duster's main strengths were its looks and ride quality. Kwid isn't much different. The kwid also has other advantages in its segment. In fact, kwid deserves an applaud for making entry level cars desirable.
Old 31st December 2015, 00:52   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
What exactly was special about the Zest? It was a brilliant effort from Tata and a well rounded car but had nothing special IMO.
1) AMT offered on Zest Diesel is segment first.
2) Turbo charged 1.2L Revotron petrol engine (water cooled) is segment first.
3) Harman Kardan 5" Touch screen infotainment system with 8 speakers was segment first.
4) Dual Airbags offered as standard across variants was welcome move. (Though Toyota was already offering on Liva/Etios I guess)
5) Alloys across the range offered.
6) Vastly improved interiors and built quality. Almost European.
7) To top it all, VFM pricing.

Aren't these features enough to qualify for 'Car of the Year' award? Bhpians rightly voted for it last year!

Last edited by balajisv : 31st December 2015 at 01:01.
balajisv is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 09:48   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
3) Harman Kardan 5" Touch screen infotainment system with 8 speakers was segment first.
4) Dual Airbags offered as standard across variants was welcome move. (Though Toyota was already offering on Liva/Etios I guess)

Aren't these features enough to qualify for 'Car of the Year' award? Bhpians rightly voted for it last year!
Slight correction.

4 above is not correct. Airbags are offered as option from mid variant onwards which is new compared to its competitors then which were offering only in the top variant.

I would add the multi drive mode on petrol to the above list of segment first features.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 31st December 2015 at 09:49.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 09:57   #381
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Kwid because it is yet another bold step by Renault in a market where they have yet to gain a firm foothold. Unlike the established players such as Toyota and Honda who backtracked on their small car portfolio after realising the uphill struggle in the volumes game, Renault has taken a bold step to launch a yet another small car without skimping on features like the Datsun.
Old 31st December 2015, 10:08   #382
BHPian

Congrats Kwid for becoming car of the year 2015. I recently saw one near a shopping mall and it surely turned heads looking like a mini duster. It nowhere looks like a 4 lac car and is a good alternative to Alto & Eon in that price range.

But to make it a success, Renault has to improve their sales and service standards. This is where Maruti and Hyundai scores. Remember Nano was car of year in 2009 when it was launched and many people have thought that it will kill Alto. But that never happened because Maruti has biggest advantage viz. great service network and cheap + reliable service. Tata was never able to maintain that. I hope Renault can because I really want this car to succeed.
Old 31st December 2015, 12:06   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
What exactly was special about the Zest? It was a brilliant effort from Tata and a well rounded car but had nothing special IMO. Neither did the old Figo at the time of the launch.
Duster, a cocktail of old Renault's designed by a Romanian budget brand wasn't very competitive either. It was a pretty good looking car in its own segment at that time but wasn't breathtaking. Kwid is quite similar to the duster then, maybe even better. The Duster's main strengths were its looks and ride quality. Kwid isn't much different. The kwid also has other advantages in its segment. In fact, kwid deserves an applaud for making entry level cars desirable.
Balaji aptly explained Zest's specialities. Duster was segment first and the introductory prices were mouthwatering. Base diesel model was 8.25 lakhs on road in Gurgaon. It had no competition at launch. I think these features were special enough to make them Car of the Year.
No doubt Kwid made the segment desirable and it is better than other contenders but still it is not a new benchmark. It just improved the segment, and yes, I agree that Figo did the same.
Old 1st January 2016, 01:32   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Slight correction.

4 above is not correct. Airbags are offered as option from mid variant onwards which is new compared to its competitors then which were offering only in the top variant.

I would add the multi drive mode on petrol to the above list of segment first features.
Thanks mrbaddy!
Yes indeed. The Multi drive option is an unique segment first feature in the Zest and I missed it!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 20:03   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post

1. That AMT isn't very smooth from what I've heard but I'll give it to Tata for making the cheapest diesel AT.
2. Turbo engine is a segment first but water cooling isn't. I think you meant intercooled as air cooled engines are extinct.
3. ICE is average at best when it comes to sound to me.
4. Pretty sure the airbags start from mid level.
5. For a time, yes.
6. Interiors are pretty good but xcent trumps it and Dzire isn't far behind.
7. Yes. A very well rounded car and a worthy winner but its NOT like the XUV which completely took the segment by strom.
I never said that Duster, Figo or zest were undeserving, my argument was that Kwid is as worthy as the above mentioned cars.
Old 5th January 2016, 01:51   #386

I think the the Hyundai Creta or Suzuki Baleno should have been an ideal winner. But congratulations to Kwid - your real test is in progress on after sale service and on road performance... And also awaiting the 1ltr engine.

Elvis
Old 1st February 2016, 14:21   #387
BHPian

The Renault Kwid has won the Autocar India Car of the Year award for 2016 too.

Hormazd Sorabjee, editor, Autocar India was quoted as saying
“The Kwid is a true game changer and comes as a breath of fresh air at the budget end of the car market”

Renault’s newest small car has taken the high-sales-volume budget hatchback segment by storm since its launch in September 2015, serving up class-leading space, comfort and features at an incredibly competitive price

http://www.indiainfoline.com/article...3000283_1.html
Old 1st February 2016, 16:14   #388
BHPian

Well done Renault, KWID is an excellent product, saw a few on the road and it makes you look twice.
Well engineered frugal product and not a stripped eco version, i believe that made the difference
Old 18th May 2016, 12:12   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Very sad choices this year unfortunately, IMO.

With not much conviction that this car deserves to be called as a 'Car of the year', but due to lack of competent choices- my vote goes to the Renault Kwid for their honest attempt to completely redefine the segment. But I'm not convinced of this decision because I'm afraid the Indian dreams built on this otherwise competent car will come crashing down once the crash tests are implemented.

A close second would be the Hyundai Creta, which is a very good package if not for the pricing.
Unfortunately, my fears have come true. The crash tests have totally destroyed the image I had of an otherwise wonderful package called the Renault Kwid.

Regret casting my vote for the Kwid. And for trusting Renault-Nissan to improve upon the abysmal crash ratings received by the Datsun Go. Never again Renault!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 12:27   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Unfortunately, my fears have come true.
unfortunate...yes

Quote:
The crash tests have totally destroyed the image I had of an otherwise wonderful package called the Renault Kwid.
IMO it still is a good package in that segment. Alto K10 and Alto800 also have got zero stars.
Safety wise both are same. Considering other things, Kwid still is a better package.

As soon as I saw the news yesterday, The first thing that came to my mind was that MSIL will be very happy that the image of the first real competitor to Alto is dented big time.
People will not stop buying if Alto (or Celerio recently) fails the crash test. but for other brands, it'll affect the sales figures a lot.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread