Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2015?
Renault Kwid 692 29.28%
Datsun GO+ 3 0.13%
Ford Figo 140 5.92%
Tata Bolt 45 1.90%
Ford Aspire 153 6.47%
Maruti Baleno 330 13.97%
Honda Jazz 101 4.27%
Mahindra TUV300 109 4.61%
Renault Lodgy 7 0.30%
Maruti S-Cross 122 5.16%
Hyundai Creta 557 23.57%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 6 0.25%
Mercedes CLA-Class 50 2.12%
DC Avanti 10 0.42%
Land Rover Discovery Sport 38 1.61%
Voters: 2363. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2015, 17:23   #46
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2015. EDIT: It's the Renault Kwid!

My vote for Lodgy (obviously!) albeit being declared a flop. This is one undersold MPV and as my signature suggests, if I was in the market today for an MPV, this would be it. I was skeptical before purchase but this vehicle has been a revelation. Build quality is excellent as there's not a single rattle after weeks of post-flood abuse on non-existent roads of Chennai. The engine's been a delight and the service has exceeded my expectation. Not a niggle yet and it's been a "fill it, drive it, forget it" MPV.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:28   #47
BHPian

It is understandable for one to yearn for a car from a segment above. But yearning for a car from a segment below? That defines the Car of the Year for me.

Renault Kwid does just that - it pulls your hearts strings like no other!
nishsingh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:34   #48
BHPian

Voted for Renault KWID

- Almost every manufacturer present on the Indian shore tried to shake the entry level segment dominated by Maruti Suzuki Alto. Some of them even enjoyed the limited amount of success, but could not dethrone the Alto.

- Came Renault Kwid, well prepared, only one punch it required. And bam! 70,000 bookings in merely 3 months.

- Positives : BIG for small amount, Micro SUV type looks, Lower ratio of features to cost.

- Remember the Renault India massive layoff plan prior Kwid launch? Renault India was in such a bad shape. KWID will definitely help it revive. I sincerely hope that Renault does not have to go ahead with the layoff plan now.

Renault KWID has definitely shaken up the entry level segment like never before.

My vote goes to the courageous Renault-Nissan CEO Carlson Ghosn, Kwid product planning and execution team.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 10th December 2015 at 17:49.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:37   #49
BHPian

Voted For Renault Kwid

1. Even with limited dealership network it sells 5K per month.
2. Renault not a famous brand amongst Indians, with only one major product seen abundant on roads i.e. Duster.
3. A segment where Maruti has ruled since its birth, just before its launch Maruti and Hyundai were feeling the pinch of this competitive product, showering discounts close to 33K on their products. Good to see the Market leader scared.
4. Those looks, equipment and space on offer. Its Affordability too.
5. And lastly because, a small part of me that was happy for its Success(though not as sucessful as Creta), given I was part of its Product Development Team, during its development. Little did I know that this baby will make history (as i left the company before it was launched).

Creta is a Super Success, agreed, especially with its price band. But it stands out in a segment where its competitors are feeling dated, and moreover the buying capability of an average Indian is hovering in that INR 10-15 lakhs bracket.

Whereas, Kwid is a competitor in the home of small car market, within fierce competition, i.e. India.
A car Made for India, Made in India, Made by India, under a French Brand.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:39   #50
BHPian

I'll be one of the people choosing something off the beaten path.

The S Cross for the below reasons,

1. For being a quite solidly built premium car with the right kit (read safety: 4 discs, ABS Airbags on all variants)
2. Making no bones about being anything other than a crossover.
3. That monster of a 1.6 Multijet
4. Those black interiors with Soft Touch materials, which had disappeared since the old Esteems, Lancers and Honda Citys went out of fashion (in the <15L segment of cars from popular manufacturers)
5. The first Maruti that actually would appeal to someone who would normally consider the (supposedly superior) European brands.

Actually Points 1, 2, 3 and 4 are what really made me pick it.
Point 5 is actually something I got from a close relative which I considered worth putting in.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:39   #51
BHPian

So the Kwid manages to move to the top and dislodges Creta for now. Never before in COTY, I have seen such an intense battle Baleno seems to be losing steam!
In the fight between Creta and Kwid, formidable products like Figo/Aspire duo, TUV300 and SCross bite dust!
Old 10th December 2015, 17:43   #52
BHPian

Voted for Kwid.
For me car of the year should be a game changer in that segment and I think Kwid has done exactly that
My second choice would have been Creta
Old 10th December 2015, 17:44   #53
BHPian

Whoa.. For me it was the Kwid vs the Creta. There was no one else on the list. The Figo though an excellent hatch, I didn't have that feeling when driving the car. Besides, the Kwid is THE competition for the Alto. Here is no question here. If there were no production issues and there were enough Kwid's to demand, the roads will be full of them. But, the Creta is was the one I voted for. The Creta interiors are FANTASTIC and the 1.6 is also awesome. This is the dream car for the working class as it can be used as a weekend car as well as a daily commuter.

I VOTE FOR THE CRETA.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:47   #54
BHPian

- With Baleno, Maruti made it clear that it knows this segment of cars better.
- The pricing has almost invalidated two of its offerings - Swift and Dzire for most of the buyers, which is a very very bold move IMO.

- Hyundai Creta was a tough contender. With its size and looks of a mini santafe, they just hit the sweet spot of what the Indian customers want. It will take a while to dethrone the others of the same form factor.

My vote is for Maruti Baleno.

Last edited by mksureshhere : 10th December 2015 at 17:48.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:51   #55
BHPian

For me, it was a difficult choice between Hyundai Creta and Renault Kwid. I voted for Renault Kwid for the following reasons:

1. A different choice for a entry level car segment apart from usual suspects like Maruti Alto K10, Hyundai Grand i10, Maruti Celerio etc.

2. Overall build, equipment levels and amount of inside space on offer is best in class.

3. Mini SUV stance (Mini Duster) makes it really stand out.

Cheers!
Old 10th December 2015, 18:00   #56
BHPian

From the list only Kwid and Creta stand out for redefining the segment. Between the two I voted for Creta, as it made people look at it from segment lower and segment above it. I see people interested in buying City/Ciaz having a look at it as well as people thinking of buying Altis/Cruze. A compact SUV which took by storm.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:01   #57
BHPian

COTY for me has to be one that stands out of the competition in the segment that it is in. Out of the list I do feel that Kwid deserves this. To fight it out against the market leader in this segment, you need to convince the masses about the value proposition of the product. Renault Kwid does just that..

IMHO it now needs to focus itself on the A.S.S too, easier said than done!

Game Renault..at least for now...
Old 10th December 2015, 18:02   #58
BHPian

Car of the year you ask? Well the definition is plain and simple enough for me.
Just being a segment topper ain't enough! It should be a SEGMENT TOPPLER!

The kind that makes you and the competition go "What the hell?!". And in that sense the Renault Kwid is the one for me

Last edited by GKR9900 : 10th December 2015 at 18:03.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:03   #59
BHPian

Well, this year, we had so many launches but for me what car of the year award defines is something that is revolutionary and something which ticks most of the boxes in whatever segment it belongs to.

The launches had been pretty amazing out of which my personal favourites are the Kwid, the Figo twins, baleno and the Creta.

Baleno- Lovely design, commendable effort here by Maruti in safety, features and comfort. Why I didn't pick this one because in my opinion, it is just an alternative to the i20. Nothing new and almost at par with the Hyundai.

Figo twins- Superb engines, good comfort, and Excellent safety. Aspire would be my pick if I am out in the market for a CS. But they aren't something that would make me buy one even if I am not in the market for a car.

Creta- what a success it has been, rightly so for what it offers. But, I feel, it is highly overpriced. Why? Well, I own a Grand i10. When I sat in the elite, I didn't quite find any differntiating factor in terms of quality of the two. But yes they both have excellent quality and refinement when compared in their segment. But in the Creta, they have indeed loaded it up to the gills but what they missed here is the premiumness that I would expect from a 15 lakh rupee vehicle. Had it been priced 1.5-2 lakhs lesser, I would have happily voted for this one. But this is just what I feel. All in all, it is an excellent product for what it offers.

Kwid- This is the cheapest of the lot here. But, this is what I would call REVOLUTIONARY. This car has raised the standard of the segment in which it is launched. It is something which we haven't seen at this price point. The space, comfort, looks, quality, features- everything that must have caused little bit worry to Maruti engineers. Icing on the cake- It has been developed in India, with inputs of Indian designers and adds Indegineous feel to it.
Hence, this is my pick of the lot.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:10   #60
BHPian

It was very difficult to choose between kwid and creta, in the end I voted for the kwid since it offers excellent VFM proposition ,ideal ground clearance to tackle Indian roads and it is a head turner wherever it goes. Where creta lost is due to hyundai's optimistic pricing.
Closed Thread