Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:12   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,768
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
I think this is faulty logic. While there is certainly some truth to this thinking, VFM is a big thing anywhere. If Scorpio can come up with a fabulous interior and all the toys that innova has and provide better performance with a standard 4x4 then they would be successful. If Mahindra expects to sell a Rs.10L Scorpio, it should have all the features and fit and finish of the Rs.15L Honda CR-V. My only surprise is that why are Indian car companies other than TATA not able to do that? If the quality is on par or above that of the competition one can easily turn things around. I would take the Safari anyday over the Pajaro 2.8 although the Safari interior is not upto the mark.
there are very few out there who make a "logical" choice when buying cars !! im sure most of us out here too probably look at intangibles as they say ( emotion, branding, perception ) upto say 80% and probably 20% could be logical factors like ( specs, VFM) etc
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:13   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,005
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
all the toys that innova has and provide better performance with a standard 4x4 then they would be successful.
Pray what toys does the Innova have that a scorpio doesnt?

Better performance than the innova? it already has that mate!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:29   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Pray what toys does the Innova have that a scorpio doesnt?
How about Electric OSRVM, headlamp levelling, immobiliser activation switch on dash, Door ajar warning, seat belt warning, SRS Airbags & ABS to rattle off a few? There are some more........

And when you say the Scorpio has better performance than the Innova, can you please be specific which aspects you are referring to? Just the bhp alone I presume?

Last edited by suman : 3rd October 2006 at 16:31.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:09   #34
BHPian
 
prince_alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
How about Electric OSRVM, headlamp levelling, immobiliser activation switch on dash, Door ajar warning, seat belt warning, SRS Airbags & ABS to rattle off a few? There are some more........

And when you say the Scorpio has better performance than the Innova, can you please be specific which aspects you are referring to? Just the bhp alone I presume?


Innova has much better leg room for all 3 rows, A/C for all 3 rows, better driving comfort as compared to scorpio.
prince_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

10L segment is mostly about snob value and not much about VFM. Even Hyundai and TATA are finding it tough to compete in this segment because of their background and image

Wonder how Mahindra will fare. Good thing is that there is no foriegn competetion for SUVs in that price range.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:54   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

this move by mahindra will keep toyota smiling.....since innova will become the lone player in that price bracket..for certain variants....
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 07:51   #37
BHPian
 
THE-U-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 221
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
10L segment is mostly about snob value and not much about VFM. Even Hyundai and TATA are finding it tough to compete in this segment because of their background and image

Wonder how Mahindra will fare. Good thing is that there is no foriegn competetion for SUVs in that price range.
Well, Hyundai's VFM is starting to sell cars abroad. If Mahindras and Tatas are going to price these vehicles on par with their international competition, they better pack a lot more features with better fit and finish. Right now, even the Safari's interior fit and finish doesn't stack up well with that of Innova.

Although I prefer Safari for its 4x4, road presence, ground clearance and dealer network over Innova, I think currently its over priced for what it offers. A EX 4x4 at Rs.7.5-8L may be more reasonable, since everything is locally made other than the Common Rail. If Toyota manages to price the Fortuner at Rs.12L, the Safari/ Scorpio at Rs.10L will suffer big time in my opinion.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 19:29   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
Well, Hyundai's VFM is starting to sell cars abroad. If Mahindras and Tatas are going to price these vehicles on par with their international competition
Its true Hyundai is selling lots of Sonatas and Tucsons in the US, but D seg is still a VFM category here whereas a luxury category in India. In the US, Hyundai is having trouble selling the Azera because of image problem. Even in India Embera being much cheaper than Camry and equally competent is not appreciated.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 12:22   #39
BHPian
 
THE-U-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 221
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
In the US, Hyundai is having trouble selling the Azera because of image problem. Even in India Embera being much cheaper than Camry and equally competent is not appreciated.
I think the Azera lacks some features like the lack of HID lights and NAV system etc. in the US. IIRC that is available in the Avalaon. I would prefer the Embera over Accord and Camry in India, however, what you say is true. By decreasing the price a few more lakhs, I would think Embera would move off the lots, I guess.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6) Abhi_Automobile Superbikes & Imports 397 22nd March 2017 15:45
Mercedes C220 CDI, now locally assembled. Priced at Rs. 37.90 Lakhs karan561 The Indian Car Scene 16 14th May 2015 19:18
Audi S6 priced at 85.99 lakhs, ex-Delhi JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 21 23rd July 2014 22:02
Premium priced SUVs to become cheaper (below 30 lakhs) sarmarishi The Indian Car Scene 5 13th July 2010 18:44
Skeletor Chopper - Priced at 3 lakhs - new possession of Jackie Shroff emkay456 Motorbikes 19 2nd March 2009 22:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks