Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th December 2015, 15:59   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Honda kickstarting feasibility study for India-specific small car

This is getting really really strange.
Normally all the car companies are desperately fighting tooth and nails to go upmarket. As of now Hyundai is making good progress. Companies like Maruti, Renault, Nissan, Tata have all tried and bitten the dust.
Honda however was a regular hitmaker in all those segments right up until the petrol prices went through the roof. Then it started loosing the market to the likes of skoda, VW and Toyota who all had diesels in their arsenal.
Instead of fighting back with diesels, more equipment, more luxury and reclaiming these segments, Honda India has done a complete U turn and now is trying to pick fights with Maruti?
Why would you do that?
Even Maruti is trying to make progress trying to claw out of its cheap car maker image with the s-cross and all.

So please dear Honda, do the following first

Give us the new civic, in a 2.0L 156 bhp petrol guise (manual must!!) and a more powerful 1.5 l diesel guise (that outta be enough for the mileage yuppies). This ought to give the D segment a thorough shake up.

Give us an HRV, 1.5L petrol and 1.5L diesel guise. Easily a match for the Creta, Scross.

First you bring these two good looking, accomplished, aspirational cars into the market, like you always used to, then we can talk about alto rivals.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 16:54   #17
BHPian

Renault KWID success is surely paving the way for other car makers to start looking at A-segment. No surprises for Honda taking this path and no guesses on how Honda will package their product in A segment, it will definitely be more bare bones than Brio and probably have a cheap AVN (to match Kwid) and give a hefty price tag atleast a lakh more than segment leader, why? "Its a Honda".

My understanding is that Honda's engine portfolio starts with a 1.2 i-vtec. The new small car will definitely be less than a 1.2 i-vtec.
itzvicky201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 17:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
My understanding is that Honda's engine portfolio starts with a 1.2 i-vtec. The new small car will definitely be less than a 1.2 i-vtec.
They do have their kei car 658 cc 3 cylinder engines ranging from 43 to 63 bhp. If the india-specific car is a competitor for celerio/kwid, that's what they'll use.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote