Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 20:22   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,876 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

friends please check this out. http://aqicn.org/map/india/ Its India's own air quality monitoring, real time for all major towns and cities. I was horrified to see Delhi reporting something like 420+ units today morning at around 8am or so. Even now in the evening it is above 180 or so, compared with 65 units in Hyderabad. Chennai currently is reporting a ridiculous 800 odd units!!! We don't need Nazi gas chambers, we have our own cities to kill people. Looking at this graphical picture, I somewhere agree with the NGT and the court, they are forced to perform some knee jerk maneuvers to safeguard our health considering that our successive governments are sitting doing nothing.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 11:50   #332
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 199 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
friends please check this out. http://aqicn.org/map/india/ .....Looking at this graphical picture, I somewhere agree with the NGT and the court, they are forced to perform some knee jerk maneuvers to safeguard our health considering that our successive governments are sitting doing nothing.
Thanks for providing the link. Indeed the situation need some ground level concrete action, but not an overnight, logic defying proposition which doesn't have linkage to the root cause at the first place. Its simply not possible to compensate for decades of negligence through a whimsical decision. More importantly for a country like India, a holistic view (mainly the manpower, investment & future growth related to the affected industry segment) has to be taken in perspective.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 12:15   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,688
Thanked: 1,463 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
friends please check this out. http://aqicn.org/map/india/ Its India's own air quality monitoring, real time for all major towns and cities. I was horrified to see Delhi reporting something like 420+ units today morning at around 8am or so. Even now in the evening it is above 180 or so, compared with 65 units in Hyderabad. Chennai currently is reporting a ridiculous 800 odd units!!! We don't need Nazi gas chambers, we have our own cities to kill people. Looking at this graphical picture, I somewhere agree with the NGT and the court, they are forced to perform some knee jerk maneuvers to safeguard our health considering that our successive governments are sitting doing nothing.
Where I agree with the findings, there are other factors responsible for this:
1. The dump at Burari-Karnal Bypass (Bhalsava... maybe that's what the area called) is on fire, which is a major pollutant.
2. Delayed rains, the dust particles rise up in air.
3. Lack of greenery in upcoming residential projects surrounding Delhi, there are on all sides, Ghaziabad, Noida (Greater Noida, Noida Extension, included), Faridabad, Sohna, Gurgaon, Bhiwadi, Bahadurgarh, Sonepat, & satellite towns of NCR. Also includes Metro & intra cities transportation facilities work under progress.
4. Uncontrolled vote bank settlements where the living conditions are almost like hell.

NGT needs to suggest better measures than making life of law abiding citizens difficult, I bet they won't... 'cause bureaucrats thrive on stupidity than rationalism & effectively pass on blame to engineers.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 12:19   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,876 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Thanks for providing the link. Indeed the situation need some ground level concrete action, but not an overnight, logic defying proposition which doesn't have linkage to the root cause at the first place. Its simply not possible to compensate for decades of negligence through a whimsical decision. More importantly for a country like India, a holistic view (mainly the manpower, investment & future growth related to the affected industry segment) has to be taken in perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Where I agree with the findings, there are other factors responsible for this:
1. The dump at Burari-Karnal Bypass (Bhalsava... maybe that's what the area called) is on fire, which is a major pollutant.
2. Delayed rains, the dust particles rise up in air.
3. Lack of greenery in upcoming residential projects surrounding Delhi, there are on all sides, Ghaziabad, Noida (Greater Noida, Noida Extension, included), Faridabad, Sohna, Gurgaon, Bhiwadi, Bahadurgarh, Sonepat, & satellite towns of NCR. Also includes Metro & intra cities transportation facilities work under progress.
4. Uncontrolled vote bank settlements where the living conditions are almost like hell.

NGT needs to suggest better measures than making life of law abiding citizens difficult, I bet they won't... 'cause bureaucrats thrive on stupidity than rationalism & effectively pass on blame to engineers.
I agree with your views regarding a holistic cleanup. However what shocked me on the real time data is that, on peak traffic hours (morning 8-10 and evening 6-9) the pollution data in Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi shoots up dramatically, example Chennai its changed from 120 something to almost 800 something, likewise Delhi from 180 something to 400 something. This is shocking and indeed shows that increased vehicular movement is causing increased air pollution. Maybe there is some sanity in the even odd logic and the proposal to ban cars within city limits, albeit with a green air-conditioned public transport.
If someone can plot the data for say a week or 10 days on a graph, there will be a clear spike in pollution levels during peak hours (by spike I mean it literally doubles or triples) and on weekdays. If this is not enough warning for us to see that cars are not the solution for daily commute.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 1st July 2016 at 12:21.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 12:30   #335
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,688
Thanked: 1,463 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I agree with your views regarding a holistic cleanup. However what shocked me on the real time data is that, on peak traffic hours (morning 8-10 and evening 6-9) the pollution data in Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi shoots up dramatically, example Chennai its changed from 120 something to almost 800 something, likewise Delhi from 180 something to 400 something. This is shocking and indeed shows that increased vehicular movement is causing increased air pollution. Maybe there is some sanity in the even odd logic and the proposal to ban cars within city limits, albeit with a green air-conditioned public transport.
If someone can plot the data for say a week or 10 days on a graph, there will be a clear spike in pollution levels during peak hours (by spike I mean it literally doubles or triples) and on weekdays. If this is not enough warning for us to see that cars are not the solution for daily commute.
I agree that a solution is required, but quickfix or half baked ideas won't do. Obviously the NGT is not there for these idiocracies.

I blame the politicians lesser to blame for our suffering than the courts & NGT.

PS : Replacing the Eucalyptus trees with dense Indian plants/ trees could do a lot favour on pollution & water table.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 14:23   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 199 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
....Maybe there is some sanity in the even odd logic and the proposal to ban cars within city limits, albeit with a green air-conditioned public transport.
.......If this is not enough warning for us to see that cars are not the solution for daily commute.
It all boils down to the fact that if there is an eco-friendly convenient mode of public transport, majority of the people will use the same rather than private cars for local commute. And this is precisely the area where govt initiatives play the most vital role. Odd-even logic does 've some sanity but if you look at the increased loads during those times on the already overcrowded public commute like Metro, you can't and won't continue to avail the same if your financial conditions enable you to move comfortably in your own car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
PS : Replacing the Eucalyptus trees with dense Indian plants/ trees could do a lot favour on pollution & water table.
Absolutely.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 15:19   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 570 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@VeluM; Will they give an economic 'incentive' for Ultra green cars like Mercedes Blue.
The government does give incentives even to mild hybrids, so companies like Mercedes that have such hybrid technology can gain an advantage.

Quote:
Incorporating lower-displacement engines, ECO start/stop functions and improved aerodynamics, BlueEFFICIENCY models are energy efficient and fully optimised for lowering emissions. Coupled with less rolling resistance and weight saving measures such as reduced windscreen thickness, and lighter alloy wheels – BlueEFFICIENCY technology cuts running costs without compromising on performance.
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The biggest joke and irony, Buses which run on Diesel (compression ratio about 18-22, and no ignition) having their engines retrofitted for CNG. The only reason they got away was that the buses were on essentially truck chassis and engines, ie. grossly overpowered. Why did anyone not come up with Bus chassis with far smaller engines in the fifty odd years?
Is your point that CNG vehicles need sparkplugs to ignite and diesels do not have them? I think they would have studied the feasibility of such a conversion, and not just converted them to CNG on a "let's see what happens" basis.

If they actually did the latter and it worked, good for them

Last edited by VeluM : 1st July 2016 at 15:22. Reason: Added source.
VeluM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 09:10   #338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 444
Thanked: 176 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Fellow BHPians -

I had a question for new diesel car buyers in the last 2-3 months.

Can someone please confirm the Registration Validity of a new diesel car that has been bought in the NCR, in other words on the RC smart card, what is duration that is being provided by the RTO, is it 10 or 15 years ?

I would be thankful if someone can share the city name with the duration of validity.

Thanks for all the help here !

Happy Motoring.
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 09:19   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 126
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I agree with your views regarding a holistic cleanup. However what shocked me on the real time data is that, on peak traffic hours (morning 8-10 and evening 6-9) the pollution data in Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi shoots up dramatically, example Chennai its changed from 120 something to almost 800 something, likewise Delhi from 180 something to 400 something........
First of all, thanks for the link.
But I want to share my 2 cents here. I grew up in Chennai, the reading of about 800 that you see in Chennai is taken at a locality called Manali (no, not the Himachal one). This place has a petroleum refinery - Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL) formerly known as Madras Refineries Limited (MRL). I think this has to do with the extermely high pollution levels there.
If you zoom closer in the map, there is another reading taken near US Consulate (more like heart of the city) where the reading is typically about 100-120 - which is a better realistic estimate of the pollution in the city.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 09:21   #340
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 603
Thanked: 286 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

@Torquedo: ^^ Not a new owner, but I asked around from dealers- it is 100 years for new vehicles.
However, 2-3 yr old Diesels (pre-Ban) are still registered for 15 years , even after change of ownership.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 09:52   #341
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,059
Thanked: 940 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@Torquedo: ^^ Not a new owner, but I asked around from dealers- it is 100 years for new vehicles.
However, 2-3 yr old Diesels (pre-Ban) are still registered for 15 years , even after change of ownership.
I hope that 100 years is a typo, and it is 10 years
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 10:25   #342
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 603
Thanked: 286 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Yes , how I wish it was 100 though !
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 11:05   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 8,885
Thanked: 13,136 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

Diesel car sales could be on track soon!

The end to the diesel dilemma in India, particularly the Delhi-NCR region, seems to be in sight. Indian government bats for diesel cars, mulls scrappage scheme, argues against green cess.

Quote:
the government has told the Supreme Court that a new policy to combat pollution including the scrapping of old diesel vehicles and a scheme to replace about 28 million automobiles registered before March 31, 2005, by BS IV-compliant ones by April 2017, is on the anvil.
The bench, which had earlier said it may allow registration of diesel vehicles again in Delhi and NCR, yesterday reiterated it and proposed that the green cess to be levied could be one percent of the purchase value of such vehicles and reserved the order.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th July 2016 at 11:09.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 11:32   #344
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 762
Thanked: 210 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

The Hindu reports that Union Govt has informed the Supreme Court that banning SUVs with 2000 cc plus engines illogical. The govt opines that these bigger, expensive vehicles have better burning efficiency and are thus cleaner compared to the smaller ones. Also, the govt fears exodus of the foreign manufacturers who have invested in the country.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 06:57   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 199 Times
Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

While there seems to be some silver lining on the issue, now the environmental pollution control authority has proposed 10 - 25% green tax on diesel vehicles in general depending on the engine cc. This is a much higher amount compared to the 'proposed' 1% green cess that few manufacturers volunteer to offer and Supreme Court was supposedly willing to accept! If this is implemented than it is almost the end of road for diesel vehicles any way. Link is here: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53056411.cms
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Supreme Court bans pressure / musical / multi-sound Horns darklord The Indian Car Scene 29 20th July 2016 18:25
Supreme Court bans tourism in core areas of Tiger reserves across the country gauravdgr8 Shifting gears 26 17th October 2012 14:02
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars kpzen The Indian Car Scene 2687 14th June 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks