Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th December 2015, 15:49   #31
BHPian

Default Re: National Green Tribunal says, 10 year old Diesel Vehicles banned in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Delhi govt has announced these already - those are part of the plans from Jan1st onwards.

Trucks can take many other routes around Delhi - for example, trucks coming from Jaipur can go to Rohtak and Panipat to Ambala and then to Jalandhar. Those which want to carry goods to Delhi will have to pay high amount of toll taxes.

I'm afraid you have not read the recent briefing from the govt. There is a plan to clean up dust off the roads. Burning garbage will be banned. Construction materials are banned to be put on public places.

If they cleaning up the dust , that will solve more than 50% of the problem .

The fact is carsand two wheelers combined make up only for 6 % of total particulate emissions. So there is no need to ban diesel vehicles of any sort or introduce the poorly thought out odd even plan.

The odd even plan is exempt for women drivers it seems. Really? Cars pollute equally whether they are driven by a male or a female.

Banning garbage burning is a good move. But will they stop people from lighting up a camp fire at every street corner to protect from the cold?

The problem is not dumping of construction materials. The problem is dust from construction sited due to the construction sites not being covered and due ti workers in higher floors throwing waste sand from the top of buildings. I have seen the callous nature of construction workers myself in Chennai. This is what they do.

What about stopping farmers in neighbouring states burning crop residue?

Instead of going after the remaining 94 % , why target the 6% . Is it because it gives them publicity?

Even if diesel vehicles are banned and odd wven rule implemented therm emission will drop from 6 % to 5% . The remaining 95 % would remain.
Ragavsr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 15:49   #32
BHPian

Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR

Won't be surprised if auto makers come up with a 1.9 TDI type engine to power the SUV's, cars etc. Auto makers obviously got the tech. Let's assume that they get a 1.9L engine with 140bhp etc. Ban is of no use, isnt it ?

With due respect to the judiciary, i'd expect them to take a technical approach to the problems than just ban ! They should have pulled up successive governments on providing approvals to factories, fitness to commercial vehicles that are not roadworthy etc.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:08   #33
BHPian

Default re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR

Wow, worst hit Luxury brand seems to be Mercedes, as most of their models (right from the A-Class) have a 2.1L diesel.

Jaguar too are in a bad position W.R.T this ban

I don't think this ban on registration is a viable solution. This logic is a flawed one and will do little to help with the pollution levels.

They should seriously look at introducing a congestion charge like London.

The problem here is that economical and viable cars which run on alternate energy are scarce, so everyone using their vehicles in the city will be hit by the congestion charge.
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Do we have data to measure the impact of such measures on city's pollution? I mean, a temporary ban on diesel vehicles over 2 litre for 3 months will affect the sales of automotive companies. Will this bring down the pollution, and if yes, by what percentage points?

Is there anyone who has the historical data of Delhi's day-wise Particulate-Matter emissions for the past 20 years?
What you talk about probably will be done comparatively i.e. comparing the pollution level (say in March 2016) to the Dec 2015 levels. That would shed light on the improvements made. Some other good sources of policy monitoring and pollution monitoring are as follows:-
1. You may start by reading the Center of Science and Environment's website here. This does have a section on "Air Pollution Vehicle Technology and Fuel" with many reports.
2. Delhi Pollution Control Comittee This throws up a lot of real time data in terms of air pollutant composition.
3. Central Pollution Control Board
4. System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research - India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I think the worst affected will be Maruti (King of diesel Sales in NCR), Tata and Mahindras. Tata and Mahindra both sell cars on the basis of Diesel and have next to nothing when it comes to Petrol.
Maruti would not be impacted much here. It is the German car makers that are at loss here esp. Mercedes Benz. Check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
I'm afraid you have not read the recent briefing from the govt. There is a plan to clean up dust off the roads. Burning garbage will be banned. Construction materials are banned to be put on public places.
Very true. Haryana/Punjab have issued notices to curb dust pollution arising for construction sites. Engineers (providing approvals to building plans) are to be held accountable in case rules/guidelines are not followed. Then there are talks of creating concrete pavements to tackle dust issue. So a lot is really happening now.
KomS_CarLog is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:20   #35
BHPian

Default Re: SUV Registrations Banned in Delhi NCR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
The court has also directed a ban on registration of luxury diesel vehicles.
This sentence has left me sort of confused, does it imply that any diesel vehicle over 2000c engine capacity is banned while those below 2000cc can run?

Or, apart from the ones over 2000cc, there'll be a separate list of cars referred to as "luxury diesel cars" which are banned irrespective of their engine capacity.
greatgyan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:24   #36
BHPian

This seriously is an era of "bans". Everywhere there is a ban. Instead of getting effective solutions all we get is a BAN!

Manufactures will for sure find a way out. As for Delhi, next fiscal, it will be gasping for funds which it will loose in terms of registration costs and fuel sales, which runs into thousands of crores each year.
abhijeetsng is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:25   #37
BHPian

The courts / policy makers - if they think that banning vehicles is the only way out should look at:

- Output generated by engines (making it uniform) else few will talk about hp at crank and few will talk about at wheels; the final numbers have a role to play and thus the old world charm of high power / heavy weight machines will go off. What will you do with a 2 ton XUV with 90-100 hp and 200 - 250 Nm torque?

- Look at taxi pooling apps; Ola, Uber etc. have ensured business for diesel powered taxis from other states in Delhi where as per law, taxis should operate on CNG

- There should be a buyback / engine replacement scheme for old cars after certain interval to upgrade the technology in compliance with latest Euro norms. The decision should be made on life cycle emissions from product and not from the age of vehicle. A complete engine change will give new lease of life to the car while maintaining prevailing emission standards

- Most of us (private cars included) never look at replacement of catalytic convertors of our cars; similar to hydro test of CNG cylinders, this should be made mandatory

There is no point is harping that cars contribute only 6% and others are causing 94%; the fact of the matter is that its high time the first step is taken in a manner that creates less of disturbance to the society and take them off the radar of policy makers

If these steps are taken, at least one can say that the city has moved in right direction for automobiles and other interventions have to follow which may include waste and dust management etc.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:51   #38
BHPian

[quote=i74js;3871322

There is no point is harping that cars contribute only 6% and others are causing 94%; the fact of the matter is that its high time the first step is taken in a manner that creates less of disturbance to the society and take them off the radar of policy makers
[/QUOTE]

Banning cars which contribute just 6% of pollution is not a move which creates less disturbance. I am appalled by your reasoning to support the government.

I can undrratand your concern if vehicles are responsible for a significant amount but 6% is just roundoff error in statistics.

Transportation is something which affects quality of life and is my freedom because it is the way I travel for work play and school.

The government is spineless and dumb in not controlling the rest 94% especially when it is under their primary control.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 16th December 2015 at 16:53.
Ragavsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Here's the list of affected vehicles.
Good compilation.

To me it looks like Delhi will lose those Safaris and Innovas. To the companies, all these models are important. To the Delhi users, I think the number of people affected will be mostly users of these cars.

Very interesting!

Wonder what is going to happen!

I have a feeling someone will go to court and change the 2 lt limit to 2.5 or 3.0! That is if this rule is allowed to stay..
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:55   #40
BHPian

I guess we will see a big jump in sales of all these cars before Dec 31. So Dec could actually turn out to be a bumper month for some of the car manufacturers.
abhik897 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:55   #41

Tata-jaguar-Land Rover will be the worst affected followed by Mercedes,BMW and Mahindra in terms of number of models getting affected. However in terms of volumes the scenario may be different, where Mahindra and Toyota may face the real heat.
X202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 17:00   #42
BHPian

Default Re: SUV Registrations Banned in Delhi NCR !

As others have pointed, the entire decision looks so baseless. Did they find how many so called SUV/luxury diesel vehicles have been registered per month in Delhi? Lets assume we have 10 mass market diesel cars registered per SUV/luxury car. I don't get it, 10 cars are anyway polluting more than that 1 car. Even if its 1 car, on what basis did they conclude they are polluting more? Just because of lower FE? If yes, did they analyze real-time day to day FE of those cars? Once again, the incompetence of government to hold on to its responsibility is being burdened on we consumers. I have been reading about pollution levels in Delhi since too long. Government should have taken measures gradually to counter the levels and not like this baseless Big Bang approach.

A better gradual approach would have been a limit on the number of diesel vehicles registered per month in Delhi regardless of the vehicle segment/class/capacity et all.

Also, Implement one thing at a time, otherwise no one will know what caused the pollution to go down (if at all we see any improvement going by the stats shared by our members on pollution caused by private vehicles) , Either it was EVEN-ODD rule or Ban on registration.

P.S - I don't own a SUV/Luxury car nor do I have any plans to buy in near future. Its just the incompetence of government which makes me fume

Last edited by karts : 16th December 2015 at 17:17.
karts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 17:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SC's ban on diesels with >2,000 cc capacity in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR123 View Post
Suzuki Swift 1,300 CC Petrol
Co2 emissions: 129 Grams/Km.
BMW 320d 2,000 CC Diesel
Co2 emissions: 117 Grams/Km.

Source: Autoevolution.
CO2 is also a gas released by you and me. We are talking about serious pollutants that consists of heavy particles poisonous for health.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 17:31   #44
BHPian

I highly recommend(read) this [1] well researched article on how diesels were shoved down our throat in the pretext of green technology, though most of the strategy happened in Europe but repercussions are very well felt in India. Indian Govt certainly played lethargic role by being dumb policy maker.

[1] http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/954178...esel-pollution
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 17:35   #45
BHPian

http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Petrol engines are no saints either.

Gas direct fuel injected engines meaning petrol engines with direct fuel injection emit higher levels of particulate pollution.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote